PDA

View Full Version : Synthesisers / Soft Synths

tekboi
24-04-2003, 06:55 AM
Hey,

1) I am looking for a nice synthesiser at an affordable price but having the high quality features, hope people can post a few recommendations.

2) List any soft synths that are a MUST also if youz dont mind.

And also does anyone use and what do people think of the:

Oxygen 8 Midi Keyboard

Heard some good reports, is it well worth it?

Thanks.

miromiric.
24-04-2003, 10:25 AM
only piece of software i d give money for without thinking twice is REAKTOR by native instruments. no doubt about that.

www.native-instruments.de

they re simply the best.

Barely Human
24-04-2003, 10:54 AM
For the soft synths, get kazza lite, and download as many as you can. You can never have enough vst plugins. But the ones you should look out for are:-

Native Instruments- Absynth, Pro 52, FM 7
ReFX- Beast, juno x2
Spectrasonics - Atmosphere
Waldolf - PPG Wave 2, Attack
Sonic Syndicate- Junglist
Stienberg - Halion

DJZeMig_L
24-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Jungalist...
Anything by Native Instruments or by TC or by Waldorf!

Piracy is 2 me a very touchy subject which I don't want 2 get into at such early hours!! :?

Z

miromiric.
24-04-2003, 11:25 AM
piracy is fun!

Barely Human
24-04-2003, 11:51 AM
I think with piracy that its good for a try before you buy, otherwise you might end up paying 300 quid for a soft synth your not even going to use!

DJZeMig_L
24-04-2003, 02:29 PM
subject 4 a new topic.. but let me tell U guys, having a shop I totally realise the results of piracy....

operative phrase ...
"...try before you buy..."

Dont try 4ever.... do buy!.... My 2 CENTS!

Z

Some Steinberg vsts r very nice... I luv the A1 (included with SX).

Barely Human
24-04-2003, 03:01 PM
I agree, if you like the software you are using, buy it! Software developers deserve thier money!

tekboi
24-04-2003, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys!

Still a little confused with picking up a nice synthesiser, any recommendations?

No one hear has or used the Oxygen 8? Just curious how others see it.

Anywayz more info on all of this is appreciated thanks.

Barely Human
24-04-2003, 04:01 PM
The oxgen 8 is well worth the money, as for synths go, how much are you spending? Im not to high up on techno production as ive only just started making it, but i know quite a lot about trance, and the virus c and the novation supernova are amazing if you have the cash.

Adverse
24-04-2003, 04:31 PM
subject 4 a new topic.. but let me tell U guys, having a shop I totally realise the results of piracy....

operative phrase ...
"...try before you buy..."

Z

Some Steinberg vsts r very nice... I luv the A1 (included with SX).

i agree so much with this. cracked software is great for playing with even using for fun.. but as soon as you start making money off it.. you should buy it. piracy is attributing to why companies like emagic (by apple) and steinberg (by pinnacle) are being bought out and when things don't go a certain way in the end it's the paying users who get ****ed off the most. there hasn't been much of a rollback yet.. but i'm sure it will happen.

very much words of wisdom to people who think that programmers have done wonders for soft synthesis.

i know this is for another topic.

i'll make it relevant here.

softsynths.. hmm i'd say absynth is cool. if miro says reaktor is great i believe him.. he's great with that thing ;).

also been looking at those virsyn synths.. those loooook dope.. and the spectrasonics series as well.. mostly sample based but damn... sound worthy of anyone's collection.

Basil Rush
24-04-2003, 04:33 PM
Yeah, if you've not got a Virus go get one straight off. it's a very upfront sounding synth, bit rough compared to the supernova and the basses can be a bit muddy but f*** me it changed my world when I got one.

We've just got the supernova out of retirement for the bottom end of a tune, also sounding pretty fantastic but I'd have the Virus over the Nova any day, but you'll need something other than the Virus for bottom end really I think, although there are things you can do with the Virus to make it a bit better it still always sounds a bit wooly down there (patches to prove me wrong gratefully received).

Reaktor can be made to sound almost exactly like the Nova at the bottom end but I find its timing a bit poor, but I think that could be as much down to Protool's dodgy midi implementation as Reaktor so you might be fine with Cubase/Logic, check it out. Actually all the Native Instruments analog emulation stuff sounds a bit like the Nova at the bottom end, Pro-52/3 sounds very similar although a pain in the butt to use with it's stupid knobby interface, cute but annoying.

Really like some of the soft synths that come with Logic Audio as well, really gloopy analoguesque sounds from some of those ... yummy ...

JACKSTAR
25-04-2003, 01:18 AM
I see you did say you wanted a synth that was not too expensive well the Korg MS2000 is now very cheap and i've had mine for over a year now and I use it in every track I do. The programming is piss easy and the results you get are perfect, build quality is a little flimsy but hey I doudt your gonna go touring with it. Still my favourite piece of kit is my Studio Electronics ATC-1 which is pure analogue sex and although is has no EFX and is only a monosynth and quite expensive I think it's worth every penny. Lots of people rave about Nord Leads but to be honest I think they are over rated for the money although the Nord Lead 2 rack has now come down to £550 which ain't bad but the Nord Lead 3 is £1300 which is a joke !!! I would say to get your ass down to your local equipment shop and spend a few hours twiddling them knobs and see which takes your fancy.

P.

tekboi
25-04-2003, 04:24 AM
Thanks again,

Nice recommendations, there is definately enough here for me to go and check out, just one more thing which of the synths mentioned have built in effects and which ones don't?

DJZeMig_L
26-04-2003, 11:50 AM
ATC doesn't...

If u look 4 2nd hand cheap and good stuff also check out ...

Waldorf Pulse
Novation Basstation or Nova tabletop
Red Darkstar

Z

Basil Rush
28-04-2003, 11:39 PM
Pulse is fun but for bottom end the studio elecronics stuff all the way. Pulse sounds kind of muddy down there...

DJZeMig_L
29-04-2003, 10:53 AM
true true... but it as got some serious in yer face dirty sound... it kinda of takes over the whole mix but still its one of those all time fav. (from "recent" era).

Z

DJZeMig_L
29-04-2003, 10:55 AM
Also U can't really forget the huge price dif. .... I would love any se but the tag is quite high... although like Paul L. said.. it's worth every penny!

Z

kROKar
29-04-2003, 05:25 PM
About Oxygen 8.
I recommand it. I have it now for some months and it works veeeery well for me. Its very user friendly and you just plug it in USB and it works EVERY where. For this money (120 Euros) its the best thing i could get:)
My only concern is that the sliders (wich is only 1 :( ) will stop working over time since i'm using this toy every day.

DJZeMig_L
29-04-2003, 09:30 PM
Check out radium 49!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==