PDA

View Full Version : USB 2.0 > 1.0

massplanck
14-12-2004, 08:11 PM
I just bought a case for another h/d for my work laptop. Its says for USB 2.0 enabled systems. My laptop only has USB 1.0? Yes you guessed it. Its not showing up but surely it should just let me transfer stuff at the speed of usb 1.0? I bought a hub to put it through but still no joy.

Is USB 2.0 not back compatible?

Thanks for any help.

Tyrisia
14-12-2004, 10:36 PM
I studied this at college and as far as I'm aware, USB is fully backwards compatible. I can also say that I run a USB 1 Edirol soundcard off a USB 2 board on my pc, and it works fine.

Maybe the drive needs formatting first?

Have a look at this - http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26301

gorara
15-12-2004, 10:26 AM
massplanck, what sort of hd enclosure did you buy? you might need to install proprietry drivers to get windows to recognize your hd. Did the enclosure come with software? If not try going to the manufactureres home site and find the model of your enclosure.

Buying a hub won't help you either. If you only have USB 1.0 ports on your laptop, plugging a hub into it won't make it USB 2.0. Theres no work around there, unless you can buy a pcmcia usb 2.0 card (not sure if they exist though, just an idea)

Hope this helps.

278d7e64a374de26f==