PDA

View Full Version : Hot topic - Synths in techno!

MARKEG
24-04-2003, 10:45 PM
This is major issue if I think about it. I hope you all reply. Usually you put a synth sound over the top of techno track and it's very hard to make it sound right. I remember that for years, it'd either sound too trancey or just to dominant. But that was when I used presets :=]

For hard techno, I find it good to do a step pattern (1/16 quanitse) and really mash around with a preset that sounds OK - resulting in something that sounds absolutely positively different from a trance preset.

FAVE KNOBS WHILST MASHING: Key Follow, FM Amount, Detune and Ring Mod - used in a good combination I get great results. In fact... there's loads of other combinations you can use - what's yours?

It can also be good to record a load of different contoller movements into the loop sequence to make it sound less musical.

How do you all use synths to make your specific style of techno?

JACKSTAR
25-04-2003, 01:07 AM
I normally layer the same pattern a couple of times but set different efx on each layer giving a thicker and fuller sound and adding slightly a longer release time in the more powerful layer (normally the layer from my Studio Electronics ATC-1 synth).

P.

www.ilovetechno.be

DJZeMig_L
26-04-2003, 11:45 AM
I rarelly use built in efxs (use 2 abuse distortion and comp... but not much reverb or delay)... If I do I tend 2 use a little reverb/ delay, but that will b from my 01v or Cubase...

Synth... my favourite knobs r osc wave, osc speed, Lfo mod 2 osc... osc sync, osc mix... portamento /slide, cut-off, filter eg, filter eg mod... lfo speed ... I know, kind of a big list, ... what can I say I luv it tweeky!!

Z

karlo
26-04-2003, 12:55 PM
i like synth in the songs very much, but not funky, house synths, i like deep synths, deep melodys, or like mark eg said, every 1/16...one touch to your brain :lol:

Good topic Mark 8)

Basil Rush
28-04-2003, 11:19 PM
Keyfollow? You sick puppy :)

Actually check assign Keyfollow to Pan if you can on your synth, makes sounds subtley wider without any nasty effects like chorus muddying things up and with the obvious panning effect of an auto pan..

John Vella
29-04-2003, 09:10 AM
Mark can you give an example of one of your tracks that are out there that have you doing this tecnique in them? (So I can see what you are talking about)

Also can u describe how this synth thing happens in the track that u use for your example?

-JOHNNY

thorin
05-05-2003, 01:03 AM
I tell you what I miss:) in cubase v1.0 there was a random notes feature!!

like mark said, just draw in 1/16th a rhythm, then hit random notes...

you can get some great messed-up melodic loops like this..and if you use a decent sound... who knows...

but, is this cheating or using techno-logy? that is the question:)

Patrick DSP
05-05-2003, 07:17 AM
take your drum pattern and copy it to your synth.

then just take away some parts here and there till it sounds better.

yeah it's out of tune, and you might have to transpose it, but who cares it's techno!!!

patrick dsp
www.patrickdsp.com

DJZeMig_L
05-05-2003, 01:24 PM
Thorin.. I'm almost sure U can still find that funtion...

U also have a pitch realtime rnd feature, actually u can random velocity, length and even start position .... (inspector- Part Info!)...

I'll check 4 sure,

l8er.

Z

DJZeMig_L
06-05-2003, 02:19 AM
Did a quick check... still possible... 2 morow I'll let ya know the hows in detail.

Z

miromiric.
06-05-2003, 12:16 PM
I tell you what I miss:) in cubase v1.0 there was a random notes feature!!

like mark said, just draw in 1/16th a rhythm, then hit random notes...

you can get some great messed-up melodic loops like this..and if you use a decent sound... who knows...

but, is this cheating or using techno-logy? that is the question:)

why didnt u ask me u silly?!
open midi effect step designer for your instrument (in the inspector) and then hit randomize!

thorin
06-05-2003, 12:48 PM
LOL, cos you were too busy with "virgin contemplation" miro! haha

ty, i didnt realize...
I think Steinberg could have been nice to us users by having a "classic" GUI option so all the menu options re-arrange into the smae place they have been for the last 8 years!!

and with this tip, just dont get addicted to hitting random notes cos I know sometimes you have to hit it a few times to get anything good out of it..... beware:)

miromiric.
06-05-2003, 12:53 PM
grrr u poo!

did u work it out?

thorin
06-05-2003, 09:23 PM
I got it,, nice one miro, DJ Ze Migl:)

Sounds good and gives the kinda Jeff Mills flavour to a track.

I find random notes and random velocity works great with those ODD patches you create that have weird mappings.... like velocity-pitch or Cut off frequency etc..

Works well especially in short repeating loops, like randomize 1/2 a bar of notes and then repeat it.. v.good:)

Cheers guys thanks for pointing this out, i would never have known....

Adverse
06-05-2003, 10:53 PM
LOL, cos you were too busy with "virgin contemplation" miro! haha

ha ha ha ha ha

miromiric.
07-05-2003, 08:00 AM
bugger off :x

MARKEG
07-05-2003, 10:52 AM
hahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

daviec
07-05-2003, 03:45 PM
This has been a quality thread. Dead useful. As Mark said at the beginning, I always seem to find whenever I add a synth that it's just too trancey, or far too prominent, but I'll be trying a few of the techniques decribed.

Cheers :D :D

DJZeMig_L
07-05-2003, 04:31 PM
this midi processor can sometimes act a little crazy and unpredictable... which most of time is good :)

But the old fail safe method!

draw um some notes in key editor.. ctrl + A (selects all notes)..
menu MIDI/ logical presets/ Standard Set 1/random notes (C3 to C5)

if by per chance u want another pitch scale, just create yer own logical preset...

Go to Midi/ Logical editor (or ctrl + A (selects all notes).. menu MIDI)... now bottom right load preset random notes (C3 to C5)... change parameter 1 form 60 to what ever u want (> = than 0) and parameter 2 from 94 to ... (<= than 127)...

There u go the old nasty boring way! :P

Sorry I took a little longer 2 get back 2 ya on this!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==