PDA

View Full Version : how to good master in soundforge

orac
23-12-2004, 01:26 PM
ehhh i nearly completed my demo cd, but some of tracks doesn't have a right quality. i'm pissed off when i hear low tones in some of my tracks comparing to major producers like patrik skoog or even on this forum mark eg, dirty bass etc

so i wanted to ask a question, how to good master in soundforge, step by step what to do if you could, because you can make awesome loops and whole composition in tracks, but without good mastering it is worth f***ing zero :(

btw. sorry for my poor english

dirty_bass
23-12-2004, 02:52 PM
I think the mastering stage is only really the final polish, and wont fix any major problems.
If you are having problems with the bottom end in your tracks then the problem should be fixed before the mastering stage.
Good subtractive eq is the thing.
EQ is so important.

I may be able to help you a little with improving your mixes, if you post some tracks in the Techno Production Filez section of this forum, I can have a listen and try to point out what needs to be done to get your mix to that final polish.

orac
02-01-2005, 09:21 PM
I think the mastering stage is only really the final polish, and wont fix any major problems.
If you are having problems with the bottom end in your tracks then the problem should be fixed before the mastering stage.
Good subtractive eq is the thing.
EQ is so important.

I may be able to help you a little with improving your mixes, if you post some tracks in the Techno Production Filez section of this forum, I can have a listen and try to point out what needs to be done to get your mix to that final polish.

thx for answering, i just posted some new tracks in Techno Production Filez section. would be nice to hear some feedback :)

cherrs

slavestudios
03-01-2005, 01:38 PM
i love SF for my individual samples & hits & editing, but Wavelab is really sortin trax out for me these days.

Dave Elyzium
03-01-2005, 01:40 PM
I use T-Racks for the final compression, EQ and limiting on my tracks as I think its important for you to ne 100% happy with your mix before mastering, rather than trying to "fix" a mix at the mastering stage...

acidchild
06-01-2005, 01:35 AM
I use T-Racks as well, great program!

tocsin
06-01-2005, 01:42 AM
Orac, through my own amateur experience, I've found Soundforge more to be a better pre-edit tool than a mastering tool. This is largely because you can only work on one track at a time in Soundforge. However, if you have tracks that sound good to you, while others don't, try snagging a copy of Steinberg's Mastering Effects plugin pack. There is a plugin called "free filter" in that package which can basically learn the EQ settings of tracks. If you have a track that sounds good and use Free Filter to learn that track, I've often got good results applying that setting to other tracks to get a consistent similar sound for CD demo purposes. And I used that in Soundforge.

Milesy
06-01-2005, 02:27 AM
its all about T-racks

Basil Rush
06-01-2005, 01:11 PM
I've always done EQ over the whole track actually in the original sequencer for some reason never really used a seperate program except to maybe edit something down for a web site or to encode an mp3.

Dirty Bass is dead right though, if it ain't sounding good and you've still got access to the original mix you're better off fixing that.

orac
06-01-2005, 02:24 PM
I've always done EQ over the whole track actually in the original sequencer for some reason never really used a seperate program

I was doing it for a long time, but now EQ and compressor in my seq isn't enough in some tracks. I want to improve what was done to this moment, if something can be better why not try to :)

thx for advices guys! i will check t-racks and this steinberg's stuff for sure.

NooNoo
08-01-2005, 02:27 PM
I use waves C4 pluggin to master, on master channel in Cubase. Always gets good results for me. ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==