PDA

View Full Version : studio setup

da hound
26-12-2004, 12:34 PM
how many of u use an all software setup am useing a software setup myself and am just commin 2 grips with it have an mackice mixer and and a delta 10/10 sound card which i use 2 bus out 1.bass kick 2.hats 3.percussion 4.synths etc etc am think of buying a bit of hardware do u guys think this is essential or is there no need 2 buy hardware and just continue using sofware if i was 2 buy hardware do u have any recommandations for a
1.hardware commpressor
2.harware synth module
3.hardware filter unit
4.hardware reverb unit

DJZeMigL
30-12-2004, 02:05 PM
I think U probably can still build on what U have b4 going the hardware way...
stuff like proper monitors, room treatment, LEGAL SOFTWARE, maybe a UAD-1 or a Powercore, Proper controler...

On my view if u don't know what u need 2 buy then u don't need it...

Concentrate on exploring what I have 2 the fullest.. choose only 4-5 VST is and FX/ Sequencer.. MAKE some bloody noise... In time U'll know if u really need anything else and what!

my 2 cents,

Z

acidsaturation
30-12-2004, 08:53 PM
....On my view if u don't know what u need 2 buy then u don't need it...

...unless it's cheap and looks fun of course!

But in this case, I agree.

tocsin
30-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Don't waste your time hunting for an external Reverb unless you absolutely need it. There's so many digital reverb units to use on a computer that sound good, I can't think of much of an advantage of an outboard one unless, of course, you needed it to hook up to pieces of gear for live stuff. I haven't used my external reverb unit in almost 5 years.

acidsaturation
31-12-2004, 12:36 PM
I would agree - If you're using software and getting results then carry on using software. If you're not getting results from software one bit of harware's not really gonna have much input, and even if you did splash out on a full harware setup you might still not get what you want.

Definately as DJ Ze Mig L said. Concentrate on what you are using and learn it well and you'll know what you need next.

If you've really got money burning a hole in yr pocket and need to buy something, yeah, look at yr PC setup or monitoring, or consider a controller.

It is rubbish though when you want something fun and realise you need to spend money on more mundane stuff... ...but needs to be done sometime.

278d7e64a374de26f==