PDA

View Full Version : new developments on 12" records

Ritzi Lee
29-12-2004, 12:20 PM
I don't know if there are any official press releases about this but:

before vinyl there, records where produced with another material that was more fragile. (can't find the english term for this)

with vinyl it was possible to produce better quality stereo music with a wider frequency range.

now on this moment people are developing a substitute for vinyl...
maybe you all remember the big 12" discs they used to play movies on. that was before the DVD came.
they want to produce a 12" record with the same material. so in the future we will have 12" silver discs in stead of the black vinyl ones.... better sound quality, wider stereo and frequency range.

and most important; we don't have to throw away our trusty decks!
just mix, cut, play and scatch like we all used to do as DJ's.

and: the production costs, and therefore the final retail price for a record will be a lot cheaper.

sounds like gold doesn't it? :)

NooNoo
29-12-2004, 12:29 PM
Does sound good.
Weren't video discs laser discs though, so surely it'd be like using cd players, not normal decks?

Ritzi Lee
29-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Does sound good.
Weren't video discs laser discs though, so surely it'd be like using cd players, not normal decks?

that's what they're dealing with now.
but the goal is to play it on the normal record players.
so still with the grooves in the records.

maybe the only thing; they have to develop a special laser needle you can plug onto your turntable. but for now it's in the experimental state.

dan the acid man
29-12-2004, 04:24 PM
sounds like it could be interesting, iv'e not heard anything about this :doh:

jon connor
29-12-2004, 05:11 PM
I don't know if there are any official press releases about this but:

before vinyl there, records where produced with another material that was more fragile. (can't find the english term for this)

with vinyl it was possible to produce better quality stereo music with a wider frequency range.

now on this moment people are developing a substitute for vinyl...
maybe you all remember the big 12" discs they used to play movies on. that was before the DVD came.
they want to produce a 12" record with the same material. so in the future we will have 12" silver discs in stead of the black vinyl ones.... better sound quality, wider stereo and frequency range.

and most important; we don't have to throw away our trusty decks!
just mix, cut, play and scatch like we all used to do as DJ's.

and: the production costs, and therefore the final retail price for a record will be a lot cheaper.

sounds like gold doesn't it? :)

and god said let there be light , :lol: thank f.u.c.k someone is doing somthing ,i seem to remember posting ideas like this in another post , but ummmmmm!!!!! how many people told me i was stupid and ridiculous ,yea well eat your words now for its you lot who are the stupid ones , :twisted: vynyl is dead ;) hahahahahahah!!!!!!! to soon did you lot right off the old trusty turntables im off to pour a glass of champagne this is the best news ive heard all year,thanks ritzi lee this post has made my day :clap:

jesus
29-12-2004, 06:08 PM
theyve had laser needles,supposedly from early 90s',they just need to try and make it small so it fits on the tonearm. check http://www.elpj.com/ .
It doesnt play some type of groove though http://www.elpj.com/about/needle.html

Evil G
29-12-2004, 09:15 PM
theyve had laser needles,supposedly from early 90s',they just need to try and make it small so it fits on the tonearm. check http://www.elpj.com/ .
It doesnt play some type of groove though http://www.elpj.com/about/needle.html

interesting but doesn't seem practical. s/n is only 55 db. :dontevengothere:

audioinjection
29-12-2004, 09:18 PM
so they will be just like the old laser discs? and regular turntables can play them?? interesting

gary_human
29-12-2004, 10:44 PM
yeah sure sounds interesting, will all our old records be obselete? or will they play both?

Kevin Gorman
30-12-2004, 04:50 AM
sounds interesting

anx
30-12-2004, 05:38 AM
yeah sure sounds interesting, will all our old records be obselete? or will they play both?

i assume that if you want to play a laser disc you'd have to use the laser needle, and if you want to play a vinyl, you'd just have to quickly switch the needle

but the whole issue of why vinyl is getting replaced is not because of the sound quality. it is getting replaced because cd's are easier to carry around, and less hassle.

you will still have to carry around the huge laser discs from gig to gig...

unless, you can fit tons of tracks on a laser disc, i guess it could have its advantages

but with a "laser" needle, i dont know...wouldnt it skip alot more? like, what if dust or something is on the disc? or its scratched? i dont see this replacing vinyl to be honest

Ritzi Lee
30-12-2004, 10:00 AM
i'm going to sort out which company is dealing with this new technology,
and try to correspond with them. i see there are a lot of questions in practical sense.
maybe they need some critical notes from the dj's thenselves.

gary_human
30-12-2004, 03:16 PM
yeah there are a few questions raised in this thread already, I got another one - will the 'discs' be lighter? could be a selling point as record boxes and bags are damn heavy ;)

romelpotter
30-12-2004, 03:27 PM
if water/beer/vodka is spilt on the disks will it reflect the laser and not pick up the digital infomation?? it would be dry sets in the house :evil: :evil: ;) :lol:

Kevin Gorman
30-12-2004, 05:04 PM
my worry would be durability. would it shatter if dropped. or would it have the same problems as cd/dvd manufactor companys have said with there products that dont get created correctly ie pealing of the data foil or seperation of the disc's due to poor glueing. If these do come out a standard will have to be done to ensure these disc's are made 100% durable.

dirty_bass
30-12-2004, 08:06 PM
I can`t see the point.
If it`s the same technology as a CD, then why not just buy the latest numark CD player.
You can affix your own 12" vinyl to the platter, so you can still be manipualting vinyl, only your manipulating a CD.

Ritzi Lee
30-12-2004, 09:32 PM
I can`t see the point.
If it`s the same technology as a CD, then why not just buy the latest numark CD player.
You can affix your own 12" vinyl to the platter, so you can still be manipualting vinyl, only your manipulating a CD.

Only with that numark thing you can't skip through a track,
like you can skip with a needle on various points.

dirty_bass
30-12-2004, 11:36 PM
Well, no, but you can cue very fast, and set multiple que points, so you can instantly start the track from any point you set, plus seamless looping, blah blah.
Although I would be interested in seeing these new Laser/vinyl things I can`t really see the point, as it`s really only the issue of manipulation.
And for the most part if you are a good DJ, you shouldn`t be touching the platter that much anyway.

DJAmok
31-12-2004, 01:48 AM
Sounds interesting :clap:

jon connor
02-01-2005, 05:22 PM
my worry would be durability. would it shatter if dropped. or would it have the same problems as cd/dvd manufactor companys have said with there products that dont get created correctly ie pealing of the data foil or seperation of the disc's due to poor glueing. If these do come out a standard will have to be done to ensure these disc's are made 100% durable.

yea man i was thinking same things but still i can see its a start and things always develope,and we all no how fast things can develope now days, its clear some experimentation is needed ,but somone will crack it, i do see a future of us playing the old way in a new 1 . the discs themselves will be cool as hell, :evil: and if production costs are going to be cheaper then thats even cooler ,everybodys happy jobs a gooden. ;)

jon connor
02-01-2005, 05:39 PM
i'm going to sort out which company is dealing with this new technology,
and try to correspond with them. i see there are a lot of questions in practical sense.
maybe they need some critical notes from the dj's thenselves.

most deffinatly ritzi lee send them here to boa or we could all put our questions and ideas down somware or give them to you and mabey forward them to the company ? there are enough scientist in this site to anable humans to travel light speed :lol: no seriously no harm in trying ;)

gunjack
03-01-2005, 04:35 AM
laser discs??? :roll:

278d7e64a374de26f==