PDA

View Full Version : streaming????

epidemic001
31-12-2004, 12:52 AM
does anyone know what to do to get a track to stream instead of download?

please please please!!

Barely Human
31-12-2004, 12:44 PM
What type of file format??? If its mp3, then it should stream automaticallly depending on the persons settings in media player. If its a real player file, then the file needs to have the extension .ram not .rm

dj vorny
31-12-2004, 01:00 PM
al is there anything u dont know :lol: ;)

DJTrubass
31-12-2004, 01:11 PM
u can turn it into an m3u file and it will auto streme

Barely Human
31-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Oh yeah, i forgot about m3u files. There pretty pointless in my opinion tho.

All you have to do is make a new text document in notepad, and simply put the link to the track you want in it. Then save the file as "whatever.m3u" and media player will follow the link. You can also create a playlist like this by adding the different links on a new line for each track. If your doing live streaming, then you can simply link to the server area where the stream is, and then you can put tags in the m3u file to say what the stream is -

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,This would be where you type the name and info of your stream
http://enter.ip.address.here

Barely Human
31-12-2004, 04:49 PM
al is there anything u dont know :lol: ;)

LoL, plenty man :lol:

jesus
31-12-2004, 05:01 PM
go in media player . go tools -> options , click 'file types' tab and tick all the boxes. should now pop up and stream when ever you click a music file download.

jesus
31-12-2004, 05:02 PM
go in media player . go tools -> options , click 'file types' tab and tick all the boxes. should now pop up and stream when ever you click a music file download.

epidemic001
01-01-2005, 07:01 PM
thanks very much everyone!

IQ does certainly know a thing a 2 like :clap:

By the way Mr IQ, i added you to my msn a week or 2 ago but I still aint seen you online. Did you add me to yours?

Barely Human
01-01-2005, 07:06 PM
I have indeed mate ;)

tocsin
04-01-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm not sure if this is still necesary since I haven't saved anything in real audio format in years. But, if you are using a .ram file and want it to stream, the URL on your page should start with "pnm://" instead of "http://". For example, the link to download would be pnm://www.yourserver.com/download.ram
Depending on the bandwidth limitations of your server space, you may not want streaming to happen so easilly since, for the less computer savvy, a number of users will just stream from your site every time they want to hear your work even if it has already been downloaded to their machine.

Milesy
05-01-2005, 12:21 AM
ive done a lot of streaming over the years. mostly when it
went unnoticed the the big record company baddies didnt
care about it.

your easiest option is to download nullsoft shoutcast
i have also done a lot of streaming with realserver to be
able to stream real media (audio/and video) but its not
easy... its very tricky to set the server up actually

Milesy
05-01-2005, 12:23 AM
ps tocsin.. you can only use pnm:// if you are running a realserver
if you arent you can only stream a static rm/ram file over http://

tocsin
05-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Word. Now that I think about it, I think I ****ed up that advice to. The pnm://server/file.rm would go inside the .ram file. Guess all the servers where I streamed realaudio from had realaudio server installed. Nowadays, though, I can't imagine why anyone would bother with Real Audio.
It kinda surprises me when I still see people using it. Too proprietary for my tastes without any advantages over the alternatives.

Milesy
05-01-2005, 06:49 PM
Word. Now that I think about it, I think I **** up that advice to. The pnm://server/file.rm would go inside the .ram file. Guess all the servers where I streamed realaudio from had realaudio server installed. Nowadays, though, I can't imagine why anyone would bother with Real Audio.
It kinda surprises me when I still see people using it. Too proprietary for my tastes without any advantages over the alternatives.

real servers were quite good because the audio compression
would change if your bandwidth dropped... last streaming
technology i used was NSV streaming over a shoutcast server
let you stream audio and video to anyone with winamp5 installed

278d7e64a374de26f==