PDA

View Full Version : Techno Tsunami Relief project underway

Dustin Zahn
31-12-2004, 03:52 AM
I've broken my BOA hiatus for a good cause. I've spoken with my distributor today (Rhythmic NYC) and may be heading up a series of records aimed towards helping the victims of the horrible disaster that occured this past week. All profits will go to a certain organization that has yet to be determined. If you're still unsure of what I'm trying to accomplish, please dig back in your crates and check out Parisio's Kosovo Relief LP he put together with various swedes and italians. M11M is also another good example.

I've spoken to a number of artists today who are thrilled about the project and didn't hesitate to become a part of it. Quite a few are confirmed but I am still awaiting on word from some. Hopefully I can release the first batch of names in the next day or two.

This won't be an album, but a series of records. The length of the series and the label is yet to be determined. The sound of the project is also very diverse. Expect some darker jaxx styled techno, as well as the clubby tribal tracks and even a minimal/experimental release or two.

Looking to help? For now I'm not sure how many releases this project will last, so we have enough producers at this point. Artwork is also covered. I may need someone who knows a little bit about PHP but I'm not entirely sure. What you can do to help is please buy the records, as all profits go to the needy. Also, if you know of any good organizations that I should pay attention to, please don't hesitate to reply with the URL. I haven't began any research on those so any are welcome.

tekara
31-12-2004, 06:21 AM
good job to Dustin for helping........I remember the Kosovo project a few years back and i remember the Surgeon track on that was banging.....one of my favourites to this day.

I just cant believe how many people have died in this tsunami. 120,000 and counting. My good friends girlfriend died in it and one of the kids that i teach History and English to out here hasnt showed up or called all week. Last thing i remember was her going to Sri Lanka for a hot vacation.

I hope this project does well and i will definately support it.

cheers.

Komplex
31-12-2004, 07:59 AM
Yeah i'll buy it. I'd love to drop a track on it too if you want the southern quarter represented :)

anx
31-12-2004, 10:01 AM
i'll support that too

and by all means people, donate to the relief programs in your country too!

romelpotter
31-12-2004, 12:13 PM
absolutly this is a great idea, i will be supporting this.

steelgrooves
31-12-2004, 02:08 PM
Ill definatly be looking forward to hearing this one!

Traxx
31-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Good stuff. I will keep my eye out for this :clap:

killarava2day
01-01-2005, 03:23 AM
World Vision and Red Cross seem to been having the most impact.

We took up a work collection this week and put in 500 bucks to World Vision. We are all very fortunate in the eyes of this disaster.

djshiva
01-01-2005, 04:30 AM
i also highly recommend doctors without borders. their work is INCREDIBLE as a general rule, but also SOOO necessary right now.
http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

international red cross is a good one as well.

best bets for maximum help is larger orgs that already had people on the ground in the affected countries. plus they will have the power to coordinate efforts better than smaller orgs will (making sure they are not all doing the same things, making sure each country/region is addressed, etc.)

thanks for putting this together, and anything i can do to get the word out, lemme know.

p.s. i haven't been able to buy records in AGES, but you can bet i'll scrounge up the cash for this one.

p.p.s. now if only we could bring our community together on projects like this ALL the time, instead of just in time of major disasters. there are SOOO many people around the world who need help on a constant basis, i hope we don't forget about them as well.

Mindful
01-01-2005, 07:29 PM
:clap: Nice one Dustin the best i can do to help is buy them when they come out.
Will keep my eyes open.

Good luck fella!!

djsirround
01-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Hi Dustin,

I can help in various reasons in Malta (thats in Europe), promoting, buy it, may be release...

Here in Malta everyone is giving money and other neccesities to these people, if you are interested just PM me and I can help no doubt.

As someone already said we can help more people not just these particular, there are many people in need.

Mattias Fridell (emb)
03-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Count me in for this project, I´ll love to help.
My own countrymen has the greatest deathnumber of all the tourists down there :cry:

djsirround
03-01-2005, 11:29 AM
when this project is going to begin?

In Malta everyone is giving and giving to the countries, we was going to send 2 containers, now we made that number to 40.

may be we can find a press where it gives us good price (or even no fee, its a good cause right?

jon connor
03-01-2005, 01:37 PM
:clap: exellent stuff dustin! :notworthy: :notworthy:

Joseph Isaac
03-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Nice one Zahn...I wouldn't want anyone other than you spearheading such a project.

djsirround
03-01-2005, 05:18 PM
:help: :help:

Dustin Zahn
03-01-2005, 05:40 PM
A quick update...

Thanks for the all the letters and support for this project. The response has been great. The only thing really holding up the process now is deciding which options are best for us. We have a plethora of producers big and small, as well as multiple distributor options, and many release plans. Another respected fellow BOA member is heading up a Tsunami project as well. I'm going to be talking with him soon to decide whether we'll team up or spread out. Either way, there's some good stuff on the way.

djsirround
03-01-2005, 06:45 PM
:lol: :lol:

Rydel
04-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Nice initiative... :clap: would gladly help out! Will buy the records if released, will donate tracks when asked.

Azur
04-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Excellent idea.
I will buy as much records i can from you guys when the project is up and running.

Good luck with the work.

Dustin Zahn
19-01-2005, 07:10 AM
Update
Things are moving along quite well! Here is some information I can give out at this time.

-This series will consist of 4-5 records.
-The series will be released on Abiotic Recordings under a different cat. number.
-16 Various Artists in total are working together on the project. A preview at some of the line up includes Oscar Mulero, Patrik Skoog, Paul Mac, Bryan Zentz, The Attack People, Function, Damon Vallero, Inigo Kennedy, and more that will be officially announced later.
-The deadline for the artists has been the end of this month, so I expect the releases to be sent off for pressing quite soon!
-I'm really pleased with the tracks handed in so far. Anybody who has previous experience with releasing a v.a. project of non-profit contributions, or even remix work will know that sometimes you have to bite the bullet when producers hand in stuff you don't really like. So far this hasn't been the case. I didn't expect them to hand in anthems but I didn't want garbage either. Thankfully, the tracks so far range from really great to solid DJ tools worth owning. In short, the artists are helping to maintain this as a quality project.

more later...

miss bass
19-01-2005, 09:24 AM
sound

Kube 72
19-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Excellent work!! I'll look forward too hearing more...

scienceofuse
19-01-2005, 04:43 PM
Hats off :clap:

steelgrooves
19-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Looks good! Cant wait to hear it! :twisted:

samba
19-01-2005, 08:44 PM
yeah man, maximum respect!

davethedrummer
19-01-2005, 08:49 PM
good one dustin
need any trax?

Mattias Fridell (emb)
20-01-2005, 01:02 PM
good one dustin
need any trax?

I was just about to say the same thing ;)

Need any trax?

278d7e64a374de26f==