PDA

View Full Version : Scott Gray - A Deeper Nation

eyes without a face
02-01-2005, 08:15 PM
hey peeps, check out this track ive been doing over the past few hours, deep, pad-dy groover

http://www.iterativemusic.com/~scottg/music/Scott_Gray_A_Deeper_Nation.mp3

il work on it some more tommorow but here it is for now, lemme know what u think peeps

jesus
02-01-2005, 08:21 PM
nice groover. reminds me of some old broom pure plastics, but better! maybe chop the 16 beat hat around a little, just coz thats the only thing that stands outl.

eyes without a face
02-01-2005, 08:27 PM
thanks dude, much appreciated! :)

dirty_bass
02-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Production is ok.
Just reminds me of long tired and tested waters of mills era detroit techno.

n.o.r.o
02-01-2005, 09:03 PM
nice dark atmosphere. cool track :)

eyes without a face
02-01-2005, 10:15 PM
appreciated peeps

eyes without a face
03-01-2005, 06:51 PM
just updated it

see what u think ;)

slavestudios
03-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Detroit to the core...

not my usual bag. though i will say i think the strings overpower the bass & drums a tad too much. but thats jus a personal thing on my account..

percussion is very authentic detroit.. ie:jus a 909 :lol:

good work my Gray :clap:

slavestudios
03-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Mr not *my*

:oops:

eyes without a face
03-01-2005, 07:52 PM
hahaha thanks dude :)

Basil Rush
03-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Yeah, this is cool but it's so focus around the strings they need to be absolutley amazing sounding.

not sure I can think what perfect thing to do with them would be but something that keeps them pretty dry but adds some detail or interest would really benefit.

maybe you could seperate all the chords, record them as samples and chop from one to the other like it's three samples rather than three chords on a synth. That'd probably make it seem dryer if anything then you could add a bit of the perfect delay or reverb and maybe it'd become a fascinating thing ... dunno, that's my thoughts anyway.

slavestudios
03-01-2005, 11:11 PM
whats this track made on btw ?

eyes without a face
03-01-2005, 11:11 PM
good old Fruity Studio

slavestudios
03-01-2005, 11:15 PM
:clap:

Good Work Fella :lol:

eyes without a face
03-01-2005, 11:19 PM
cheers dude, gonna have another fiddle with it tommorow and see if i can sort it out a bit more

BRADLEE
04-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Great work. I love the overall feel of the tune. Reminds me of the old saftey session record on drumcode. Very much some deeper soulful stuff!!! I think the drums are a bit lower than the synth, but that should be an easy fix. All in all though, excellent work and a great choice in sounds.

audioinjection
05-01-2005, 04:29 PM
very detroit sounding stuff, i like the bassline in there too, the strings are pretty cool, maybe work on those a little more, throw in some filtering, bring out that bassline some more hehe

eyes without a face
05-01-2005, 05:04 PM
thanks for the comments, but it just so happens ive changed it completely haha, became really unhappy with the strings and pads and changed them, kept the bass and percs tho

check it again, same link

good or bad comments, let me have em!

BRADLEE
05-01-2005, 05:28 PM
I think that all in all the levels are much more balanced now and that the tune overall sounds very differant. Although I think I preferred the old one a bit better myself as far as style is concerned. Still acceptional work though. :clap:

eyes without a face
05-01-2005, 05:33 PM
thanks very much dude :)

audioinjection
05-01-2005, 05:49 PM
nicely done ;)

loopdon
05-01-2005, 05:49 PM
wikid, mate. oldskool shit :love:

i'd suggest you have the track start more minimal, i.e the chord/pad/string being quieter, filtered, or you bring it in later, that would create an even bigger emotional impact :!:

in addition to that i think some filtered (female) vocal snippets whispering or something (+veeeerb) would be superb, i reckon.

alltogether make the dominating melodic sound a little quieter, maybe drop it at times or do that with some filter action (sweeping).

the bassline is so good, you can have it running without the pad (or whatever) sound accompanying it, i think it should generally stand out just that little more (saturate/distort/maxxbas maybe), the strings being the icing on the cake.

just some ideas, but that tracks is definitely beautiful as it is. :love:

cheers,

loopdon

eyes without a face
05-01-2005, 06:14 PM
appreciated for sure! ;)

AcidTrash
05-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Production is ok.
Just reminds me of long tired and tested waters of mills era detroit techno.

agreed.

eyes without a face
05-01-2005, 07:40 PM
well its changed since Steve's comment

but constructive comments please, if u agree why and what wud u change?

;)

xfive
05-01-2005, 11:39 PM
Aight just popped this on the monitoring system.

Kick and bass need to be waaaay jacked up man.... Either that or turn down everything else.
By the time I turned it up so that the system was punchin nice my ears were almost bleeding from everything else :lol:

Definetly reminiscent of 808State.

dirty_bass
06-01-2005, 03:04 AM
I think I preferred the original, but it still sounds old skool to me.
That`s not a bad thing, but more of a personal thing I have against looking backwards.
I agree with Xfive about the kick and bass in this though, and it seems to be a recurring problem you have with your productions. They never quite seem to cover a a wide enough frequency range, and with stuff like this you really do need more depth to the sound.
It`s either a monitoring problem, or you are just cutting too much off on the bottom end with the eq.

Other than the final mix problem this is nicely executed.

eyes without a face
06-01-2005, 01:01 PM
re the old skool influences, well there is literaly no one around at the moment who is as inspiring as the detroit guys where and still are to me so i guess this is gonna show thru in the music, plus i really enjoy making stuff thats alot more musical than ur average bunch of loops and synth stab....

kick and bass tho, this is odd, because they really sound pretty sweet here altho i think the kick could do with a bit more bottom end, the bass sounds really nice here, but il check it out none the less

thanks anyway, il finish this today or tommorow so il probably post it up then

dirty_bass
06-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Maybe your monitors are too close to a wall or a corner, and are booming, so you are over compensating?
What monitors are you using?

slavestudios
06-01-2005, 01:43 PM
is it not a real pain to have to judge productions via MP3 ?

ive had ppl listen to my trax, they say the production is a bit stodgy, then they get an audio or data cd, and it sounds fine.

it really pisses me off when i spend a while on nice hi hats & percusion only to have it sonically buggered by MP3 compression :roll:

eyes without a face
06-01-2005, 02:02 PM
monitors are literaly in the middle of my bedroom with a space about 1 1/4 metres behind em, about 2 metres infront of em

using maudio studiophiles, the bx8's

dirty_bass
06-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Ah, I don`t think the M-Audio`s are particularly accurate monitors, this may be the problem, you could be getting false bass response.

dirty_bass
06-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Are they ported nearfields? I can`t remember.

Mindful
08-01-2005, 02:25 PM
:cry: boo hoo this track makes me sad.ha ha only kidding this is very nice indeed I love classic sounding stuff and this is very well done.
The production sounds fine to me but trust me that means nothing.
But yeh very enjoyable.My gilfreind liked it and she hates techno(o.k. she informs me that hate is too strong a word)

I thought that loopdon had some good suggesgions concerning the female vocal(maybe a French chick chatting would be nice)

eyes without a face
08-01-2005, 06:51 PM
well if it gets the ladies dancing then its definately a job well done haha

appreciated peeps

eyes without a face
09-01-2005, 04:08 PM
nearly finished this now i think

dirty_bass
09-01-2005, 06:19 PM
Liking this more now.
The bass is still seriously thin though.
I cranked this today to real high levels, and there was no sub there at all.
When you compare this to something like robert hood (who uses similar sine-like basslines) , the bass is deep and round and goes well into the sub frequencies.

278d7e64a374de26f==