PDA

View Full Version : FIRST TRACK OF 2005 - PETE DONALDSON - DRUCKIN FUNK

slavestudios
03-01-2005, 03:44 PM
www.covertrecords.co.uk/covert/mp3/public/Pete
Donaldson - Druckin Funk.mp3

havin some odd probs with the web site, but if u copy & paste that addy, the trck should pop up via Media Player...

anyways, first track of the year. many more to come :cool:

slavestudios
03-01-2005, 03:46 PM
http://www.covertrecords.co.uk/covert/mp3/public/Pete%20Donaldson%20-%20Druckin%20Funk.mp3

that should be it... sorry peeps. still a bit fuzzy from NYE :lol:

eyes without a face
03-01-2005, 08:39 PM
some good ideas, but needs more work to really make it into a standout track, its very much a locked groove at the moment baring the edits... kick needs tightening a little more id say plus the hats are too loud and seem to phase from left to right on each hit which maybe for effect but i found it a bit annoying and un-natural...

really like the bass and kick tho nice bumpy feel to it

wud be interested to hear the finished version

slavestudios
03-01-2005, 09:56 PM
cheers scott..

was just a noodle on Reason.

hi hats - a pal on another board said the same thing. they aint too bad on WAV but i tried the MP3 version on a mates pc & the hi sounds totally wrong lol they had nice panned delays on them so they criss crossed but it sounds bad on the MP3 unfortuantely :cry:

anywyas, i may or may not finish it... i dunno.

btw, bear in mind all my trax are made for dj use, hence the linear loop feel to it. they may sound dull without a track either end if u get me...

slavestudios
03-01-2005, 09:57 PM
and theres actually 5 different kicks in there.. and they all sorta mush in with the bassline.. which i dig :cool:

eyes without a face
03-01-2005, 10:02 PM
i dont think those kind of effects work very well on hats at all to be honest, alot of clubs wont have their systems set up to represent perfect stereo and the effect will b lost in transition anyway....

and i think making tracks in the frame of mind "for dj use" is probably what limits the track alot, a good dj can play/use/manipulate any record produced it doesnt matter what its structure is or if it was produced in mind for dj manipulation, its the Dj's who should be trying harder and not the producers trying less ;)

slavestudios
03-01-2005, 10:20 PM
i dont think those kind of effects work very well on hats at all to be honest, alot of clubs wont have their systems set up to represent perfect stereo and the effect will b lost in transition anyway....

and i think making tracks in the frame of mind "for dj use" is probably what limits the track alot, a good dj can play/use/manipulate any record produced it doesnt matter what its structure is or if it was produced in mind for dj manipulation, its the Dj's who should be trying harder and not the producers trying less ;)

on your first point, i'm more than aware of the fact that almost NO club has a good stereo spread. and even if it did, very few ppl would hear the good of it.. like i said, it was a little exercise that grew into a track.

secondly, thats the type of track i play & make. i dont like trax that move all over the place. hence my favour of ppl like Ben Sims & Sven Wittekind & Liebing.. i LIKE linear loop based dj tools & i LIKE makin them... but again, thats just in the djin frame of mind. i dont think its right or wrong to do this or that.. jus make what ya make. if its linear & does nowt so be it.. as long as your happy with it ;)

i'll post up a track that has loads of breaks.... it'll be on a new thread

eyes without a face
03-01-2005, 10:42 PM
i think i just like to hear more people actually writing their tracks than putting loops together which is happening way too much these days, and unfortunately by the artists u mentioned barring Sims, whose use of loops is i think all will agree that extra bit unique than the likes of wittekind... but yeah its horses for courses, some like their tracks to have more musical merit, some like them for ease of use etc etc...

tis all good tho i guess

Pixolito
17-01-2005, 12:14 AM
I think yer tracks dung big man lets have a face off never mind the net nonsense.......... :nono:

dirty_bass
17-01-2005, 01:10 AM
Very very muddy production on this.
Most of the sounds could do with brightening up, except the hats.
The kick needs more mid range punch and top end.
Also a better use of EQ, to separate the sounds from each other, and some nice compression on the individual sounds to make em wide, which you really need on something this minimal.

Found the overall progression almost non existent, as scott mentioned.
Whether or not you like playing this sort of stuff, it`s just boring to make isn`t it? I know I couldn`t sit in the studio and make essentially 1 loop, and then record it playing for 5 mins.
Try adding a lot more edits, and effects cuts n stuff to make it interesting.
Personaly, I`d just redo this at 133.3333 bpm and turn it into a locked groove, for loop use.

slavestudios
17-01-2005, 10:40 AM
production & eq is one. but jus cos you dont like loop records, dont mean other ppl cant..

i find this 'boring' attitude a bit pointless tbh. theres lots of music i dont like here but i generally try not to be critical of the style.

if i think its good studio work, i'll say so. but tbh, there are trax here that i dont like musically. trax that change too often & have too many synths..

but thats down to taste. not one tune being better than the other cos it does or doesnt do this.

points about eq & muddiness i take on board, but saying a track is no good cos you dont like that style is almost futile. dont matter how good a loop track is. if u dont like loops, you wont dig it.

and anyhoo, they are all first cuts. i wouldnt call ANYTHING ive put up here finished.

slavestudios
17-01-2005, 10:43 AM
and no, i dont find it 'boring to make'

however, i do find tracks with layer & layer of strings & synths 'boring' ;)

eyes without a face
17-01-2005, 10:59 AM
pete i do think u take peoples comments the wrong way on here

its all about constructive criticism, and regardless of friendships on here people say it how it is.... Dirty is a dab hand at production with many releases under his belt, his words are true and very helpful....

i think the point we are both trying to make at times is that u shud push urself further, and making loop tracks wont get ur name out there unfortunately, any tom dick and harry can make loops, but it takes that little bit extra to push it into a loop track and at the moment the stuff ur putting up just doesnt do it, thats not to say they are bad tracks or ur a bad producer, just that they need a bit more work and time spent on them thats all

horses for courses definately, but this part of the board is all about honest, constructive feedback. if this means pointing out where ur going wrong then so be it.... and im pretty sure Steve is a fan of loop records, as long as they are done correct

;)

eyes without a face
17-01-2005, 11:02 AM
forgot to add, if something is boring, then its boring, simple!

the thing u have to take into account is that some of us on here are used to making stuff with alot more going on musically and sonically, and to hear literaly the same loop for 5 mins and be expected to comment on it productively is a bit of an ask

but its all good, its just peoples taste's clashing etc etc, its what this part is all about, so we can see what were doing wrong and try to improve it

slavestudios
17-01-2005, 02:05 PM
fair do's scott

i just think that it shouldnt be about the style, it should be about the quality.

and tbh, my trax reflect what i play. i play records that are basically one loop because i like a track to malible & easily manipulated. hence, the trax i make are very very very linear & do come across as a lock with only a few changes..

but thats what i'm into. i dont make/play anything for money or pats on the back. i do it cos i like it. if i never sign a record in my life, thats fine. it would be nice, but its certainly not why i make what i make..

at the same time, check the 'Orion Sampler' i put up. there is the odd suggestion of a tune here & there, but those trax are for listening & nowt else.

what DB, yourself & others have said about eq & production, i take on board. but i aint suddenly gonna make a lot of changes to what i make.

however, i will take notice in HOW i make it.

and i also think we are into wildly differing strains of techno. which wont help.. i dot see you being a fan of Switchblade 12s :lol:

slavestudios
17-01-2005, 02:11 PM
btw, ALL those nu trax were done in Reason..

i think i'll export the loops & hit Acid

dirty_bass
17-01-2005, 02:58 PM
I love well made loop techno.
But in my opinion. If your loop doesn`t change, why waste vinyl and recording time, and just make it a lock. Then the DJ can do everything.
But to make one loop and record it for 5 mins is nothing to do with taste, and more to do with laziness, or lack of ideas, or at least that`s how it appears.
It`s interesting changes that make people freak on the floor, little edits, chops, cuts, reverse, sweeps, drops, flange etc.
You don`t have to go overboard, but take a look at the music by the true loop technitions like Simms and Speedy J, and note the changes. then listen to the crap that gets churned out on the millions of short lived labels from germany, and you can see why those at the top of the game are there.
You can hear the effort and care, and work behind the tracks.
So much can be done to just a single loop, to make it interesting.
So composition IS a part of production critique.

As for your production, I think your problem is that using Reason exclusively means you are using the cack eq on it. So the production will always be a little sub standard to a point.
Export the audio to another sequencer and you can EQ more effectively.

slavestudios
17-01-2005, 03:07 PM
cheers DB..

i have used Acid for years & never got stick bout muddyness, but now i been using Reason, it has become an issue..

back to exporting loops to Acid :clap: :clap: :clap:

as for Speedy J... his style has changed with each album.

Sims i get the comparison, but Speedy is beyond a loop expert. he just goes where we follow.. be it 'Loudboxer' or 'Amber' he is always pushing doing the next thing...

4 times ive seen him live..scary good.

but yeah, i'll put up a few older trax with edits & cuts. i can get all over a break in Acid but i find Reason very awkward to sequence tbh.

anyways, must dash to bank.

many thanx to scott & dirty & all who take the time to not only listen but also COMMENT.

my respect to all :clap:

dirty_bass
17-01-2005, 03:19 PM
I tend to treat reason as a very intricate sound generator.
You can make some really nice loops and stuff.
PArticularly with the Screamer, which is a nice effect.
But I wouldn`t sequence in it. You`re much better of with acid for that. ;)

eyes without a face
17-01-2005, 04:46 PM
i just think u have ur opinion on what makes a good techno track/loop and we have ours, but u dont seem to be willing to budge or take on board any help that people offer! we are not suggesting u go and change ur track wildly, far from it, id never tell someone to change something in their music, we are just offering advice on what WE think would improve it....

u mention Sims alot, well actually check his stuff and compare it to ur own, his stuff is FULL of loops, and i mean full, he has so many loops going on sometimes to create his own loops, this track of urs was loopy yes, but didnt contain and loops to fill it out etc etc, the point im making is that for loopy tracks, u need good, solid loops in with ur own production to really make it unique and fill the track out

no ones giving u stick for production at all, and to be honest when just using Reason what do u expect? its a good program yes, but the sequencer is absolutely awful and so are the effects, the EQ is one of the worst ive seen on a software program and its inability to incorporate VST just tops it off for me...

and believe it or not i love some of Laker (switchblade)'s stuff, its intense and well produced, but again, those kids use sooooo many loops in their stuff u just cannot fail to see the difference in what they do and what u do to create "loop" techno

im into all kinds of techno mate, but it has to be quality and well made, and fresh, and the likes of Laker, Amok, Wittekind etc etc are far from what i would class in general as good, quality techno... its the most throwaway techno around simply because of the effort that goes into it, these kids knock out records every other week and it shows in their productions

rant over haha

The Overfiend
17-01-2005, 07:28 PM
im into all kinds of techno mate, but it has to be quality and well made, and fresh, and the likes of Laker, Amok, Wittekind etc etc are far from what i would class in general as good, quality techno... its the most throwaway techno around simply because of the effort that goes into it, these kids knock out records every other week and it shows in their productions

That's how you make enemies man,
That's kind of really not nice bro!

eyes without a face
17-01-2005, 07:36 PM
not at all bro, its my opinion and judging by what i hear from those guys at the moment its one i stand by

not personal at all, those i named are lovely people and their hearts are in it for sure, no ones questioning that... but anyone with ears shud agree that most the stuff coming from the german crew over the past year and lately isnt moving techno on in the slightest

there is a market for it definately, and it sells sure, but musically most of their records are nothing but loops and compression, nothing more, nothing less

slavestudios
17-01-2005, 08:01 PM
not at all bro, its my opinion and judging by what i hear from those guys at the moment its one i stand by

not personal at all, those i named are lovely people and their hearts are in it for sure, no ones questioning that... but anyone with ears shud agree that most the stuff coming from the german crew over the past year and lately isnt moving techno on in the slightest

there is a market for it definately, and it sells sure, but musically most of their records are nothing but loops and compression, nothing more, nothing less

jesus, this comin from the man who does 'old skool detroit' trax :lol:

j/k... but if u read the whole thread scott, you'll see ive mentioned takin hte production tips on board.

ive also mentioned that Reason has guff EQ & that i'm going back to Acid after the last 3 or 4 trax (in demo form) that ive put down.

but i do think your taste overcomes empathy scott. ok, i said one of your breaks was horrible, but i would NEVER describe anyones music as you have..

Sims stuff is one loop on a theme. brilliantly done. and even though i dont play that style of techno too much these days, i still n-joi a good Killabite or Hardgroove..

and some Switchblade stuff does nothing. its just one overloaded loop. which, on its own is boring. but when welded together with a few other Kne Deep or Jackstar 12s & fx, u got sumthin.

i'm no where near makin 'music' to stand alone at the min. ive been in bands & done that for years. now i want to make dj tools for me ;)

and if others happen to dig them, good, if not, good :lol:

eyes without a face
17-01-2005, 08:13 PM
how have i described it? ive said its throwaway, which if u keep a neutral head on u then u will see it is (im referring to all the german stuff by the way not urs) and yes it is... i didnt say its not good in certain people's eyes, i didnt say any particular amok track was horrible did i? no thank u sir, i simply described it for what it is, loops with compression.... where's the live synth recordings? where are the intricate drum patterns?

i may enjoy doing old skool tracks mate, but its doing me more than ok at the moment, id list everything i have coming up on vinyl but i dont wanna make myself look like arrogant because im not, im opinionated yes, but who isnt.... to me the merit of a good producer lies in the stuff they do and where there stuff comes out on and who plays it...

u said u wanna make dj tools, but then go on to say ur not bothere if u never get a release??? talk about shooting urself in the foot mate, if u dont wanna get releases then why put in so much effort? especially if u have stuff worth releasing, which im 100% that u do... there is only so far u can take the "i do it for the music and myself, cos im underground" attitude before u find urself at the back of the pack and kicking urself

if people cant take a bit of criticism then techno production is not the game to be in, and im not reffering to u mate, im reffering to anyone mentioned here or in any thread at all, u have to take the rough with the smooth and if u cant then fine, dont put stuff up!

im a perfect example of someone willing to listen, when u told me what u thought of my track the other day i went away, had a hard listen, took it onboard and thought yeah i can improve that, which i did, and ive just had the track signed to a wikid label its gonna be my first solo ep, so job well done i think?

lets all just calm down here and get back to the important issues at hand, the mo fo music instead of trying to score points off one another

respect to all !

slavestudios
17-01-2005, 08:31 PM
now now.. i was NEVER gonna rip on anyone for anything.. thats what my Amok 12s are for.. releasing the demons in a good way :twisted:

tbh though, i'm not doing this for money or fame. ive turned down 1 definite record deal cos the label refused to tell me what they were gonna do remix wise.

i didnt really care what they would have done, the track was a hoover b'line cheeser :lol: but the fact they wouldnt tell me.. i just said forget it.

and who knows, maybe they did rip it & make a bundle. i dont give a flying f**k. thats not why i kicked myself for years learning guitar licks & how to play drums..

same way many djs changed their records with the seasons. i cant get a techno gig in belfast for love nor money. and i know if i went & bought a load of house & cheesey Rocker style electro, id have gigs next week..

but i dont want those gigs.

i make the trax for cd decks & the day i can afford FS AND a laptop to run it :lol:

i aint attackin you scott. i just think writing off the whole Amok/Wittekind style thing is a bit.. righteous or summat. ok, its simple & heavy limiting is the key, but it doesnt make any more or less viable than anything.

no offence mate, but your stuff aint breakin any envelopes. although it is well put together techno with a more musical leaning.

those 12s (amok & kivitta & co) arent about finesse or boundry pushin. they are about energy & the instant moment. ive heard mates play that shit on a 5k rig in a tiny club & it was sooo intense. i fekkin love that amount of raw energy..
and callin them all kids.. :lol: i gotta laugh

dont get me wrong, i love Marco Carolas djin, but gimme a Wittekind any day...

at the same time, i love my deep house. Terry Francis & Get ****ed & Eddie Richards...

ive never dissed your musical on a production level. ive always said i think its rather good. hence you get signed & i dont :lol: but i wish you hadnt listened to me bout that break :oops: its your track & i shouldve said nowt.. but i cant. its a problem i have. i speak the truth before thinkin bout the implications..

but, anyways, jus want all to know there is no bad feeling or animosity or any of that sh*t.

:love:

pete

slavestudios
17-01-2005, 08:34 PM
sorry..

i speak MY MIND without...

my bad :oops:

eyes without a face
17-01-2005, 08:47 PM
for sure mate, we've got totally different views on some things and thats fair enough completely, thats good infact!

u mentioned a record deal, well if they were not willing to tell u their plans then i wudnt of touched it with a bargepole, u did good, because they sound shady as ****, what kind of label doesnt let the artist in on what they are doing with their music? very strange, id of left it too!

i dont dismiss amok and wittekind completely at all, thats my whole point dude! their Knee Deep ep's where top draw, especially Wittekinds "headnut" ep, that was a serious ****ing record, i have this negative attitude about their music simply because everything they've done since sounds too much the same... im absolutely sick to the back teeth of going into record stores and seeing rows and rows of all this german stuff by the same producers, using the same loops, and its all sounds the SAME! even up to 1 - 2 years ago the hard techno around was top notch, really good stuff and now so soon along the timeline its turned into such watered down music, and thats quite simply because everyman and his dog jumped on the hard techno bandwagon and everyone wants to be the next Amok or Wittekind on Knee Deep and playing big gigs with Rush.... we dont need a new Amok or Wittekind because those guys are still about, and when one does appear with something new and fresh then theyl get discovered and theyl have their 15 mins of fame as it were

and i called them all kids because they are! i am myself, im only 22 and people like amok, natus etc are only 20, 21, 22 etc etc, extremely young and kids is just a term alot of people apply to people that age in the scene, because compared to the big hitters of the moment like Rush etc they are kids! its not an attack or an abusive comment, its probably what one wud call closest to slang (even tho it doesnt rhyme with owt, its just like a pet name!)

as for getting signed, well thats a case of working the hardest u can to get people to hear ur stuff... with each new track i mail literaly the hundred or so Djs/producers that i know (some vaguely, some really good friends) and if the material is good enough then someone somewhere will like it enough to put it out

all this discussion is wikid, i love it because it stems from a passion inside for music, something we all have and to display it is only a good thing

definately no bad feelings here, if anything only good!

peace

slavestudios
17-01-2005, 08:54 PM
top drawer scott :clap: :clap: :clap:

btw, the kid thing was a larf.. i know they are relatively young..

i'm 31 ffs :lol:

ive missed the boat long ago :lol: thats why i'm happy jus to be still dossing bout djin & makin trax.. avoided that dayjob for such a long time now ;)

eyes without a face
17-01-2005, 08:58 PM
uve not missed the boat mate, not at all, keep going at it! age is irrelvant when it comes to good music, look at francois k, he's about 299 and still actively djing and producing! haha

slavestudios
17-01-2005, 09:02 PM
:lol:

FK got in there well early.. i was still strummin the chords to GnRs 'Welcome To The Jungle' when he was prob celebratin 20 years of clubbing :lol:

i'll never pack it in. i n-joi it too much. and tbh, i dont know what else i would with myself :eh:

eyes without a face
17-01-2005, 09:19 PM
haha yeah, im still strumming those chords now!!! haha

dirty_bass
17-01-2005, 11:52 PM
Age is irrelevant.
I`m 30 at the end of this month, and I feel my journey is only just beginning.

eyes without a face
18-01-2005, 12:11 AM
my my i feel young!

The Overfiend
18-01-2005, 01:49 AM
:lol:
i was still strummin the chords to GnRs 'Welcome To The Jungle' :

Should have been strumming some angel of death :!:
http://www.eventpop.de/how/downloads/bilder/thumbs/slayer-2002-byh-sg-01.jpg

slavestudios
18-01-2005, 04:36 AM
ive done me thrash faze :twisted: