PDA

View Full Version : Your use of delays and reverbs...

loopdon
03-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Just curious what kind of reverbs and delays u use on your tracks and where? I am mainly unsure about reverb on the main mix (what kind, if at all?) and in addition to that what kind of delay settings do you use on what? any delay on yer master ever??? on the kick ?

stereo wideners?

i don't use a lot of reverb and delays myself (just a little of both on my percs, hats and rides at times) , i try to get things working on their own, but advice would be greatly appreciated :shock: ;)

whoever might answer, i don't mind detailed explanations, so go ahead...

Evil G
03-01-2005, 07:42 PM
up until recently i had avoided reverbs on the main mix because i was afraid of muddying it up, but someone posted something about reverb actually helping the brain to make sense of multiple sounds at once, so i've started experimenting with reverb on the main mix.

so far so good. if i use just a little you can barely tell it's there, but the high end sounds seem to stand out from each other a bit better.

miss bass
03-01-2005, 08:48 PM
if i use just a little you can barely tell it's there, but the high end sounds seem to stand out from each other a bit better.

I would agree with using as little as possible, i mean you dont want it sounding like its coming from the Antartic or something. Well you might..

I personally would use reverb and delay on a track that id want to sound atmospheric / echoy... which is probably obvious..

Or a vocal to give it presence, if you plan on using them. The reverb amount would depend on the amount of ambience or presence you wanted on it.

Infact its just down to personal preferance really.....

Agility
03-01-2005, 08:54 PM
I tend to use Reverb on everything except the bass & Kick, Im still trying to master reverb though, I think i'll try Reverb on the whole of the next track I mix down. :)

I use delay on Vocals and whatever else I want delay on. :eh: I don't know why I would put delay on the master? Although it was mentioned in the Ozone mastering guide. :shifty:

miss bass
03-01-2005, 09:00 PM
I tend to use Reverb on everything except the bass & Kick, Im still trying to master reverb though, I think i'll try Reverb on the whole of the next track I mix down. :)

I use delay on Vocals and whatever else I want delay on. :eh: I don't know why I would put delay on the master? Although it was mentioned in the Ozone mastering guide. :shifty:

Tiniest bit of delay on the master would really thicken the whole thing up wouldnt it..?
Could be promising then... ??

loopdon
03-01-2005, 10:33 PM
well to keep things from muddying up your mixes, make use of the hipass/lowcut settings in your reverb plugin on the send you are using or place a hipass/lowcut filter after the reverb...

you can do funky things to kicks by putting a reverb on them (send) and playing with the 'predelay'-setting in the verb, you can make the send return fall inbetween your real kicks.

another thing worth trying is putting a gate behind a reverb, to cut it's tail off. some plugs have an integrated gate for this....

often used on kicks/snares and is called a 'gated reverb'.

if you place a delay on your main mix, it will start running, if used at small amounts this can be a nice thing to try.

i would like to know how many tech-producers actually use delays on their master-out? i suppose the affect i hear is achieved mainly by putting a delay on your percs, having them interact with the straight kicks, but
i'm not sure about that :shock:

loopdon
03-01-2005, 10:35 PM

i would like to know what kind of reverb-setting would be appropriate for this, what is used commonly on records???

loopdon
03-01-2005, 10:36 PM

have you never heard the djm-600 delay effect on a party? :lol:

gunjack
04-01-2005, 04:29 AM
NEVER use reverb on the main mix or on your kick. when you master to vinyl it will sound like shit, especially on a big system. as for delays, use them lightly, if at all, on the kick or main mix.

Basil Rush
04-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Why would you use reverb on the master rather than on a bus on the channels seperately so you could have things closer and further away?

Evil G
04-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Why would you use reverb on the master rather than on a bus on the channels seperately so you could have things closer and further away?

laziness i suppose. :doh:

tocsin
04-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Not quite sure why reverb on kicks is a bad thing. On some tracks I've worked on, I wished I added reverb to the kicks after it was pressed. So long as you don't over-saturate it, a little reverb on the kicks is good in my opinion. Not everything needs to sound like it's in some huge church with reverb.

DJZeMigL
04-01-2005, 05:05 PM
well generally I use a buss with a verb, the verb generally has everything cut bellow 400-500 hz (sometimes a lot higher) and above 8-9 Khz aswell... its generally a very open spacy verb so it's basically only 2 give a little hint o verb... some space... (I use Basslane on the master 2 keep everything bellow 150-250 Hz MONO).

Delay i might use it on vocals or synths just as a source of diferent sequences or somethin'...

I have used verb on my master of very old tracks that were like big Mono pieces... so I will add a rediculously tinny amount of very wide verb (lpf - 3Khz, HPF - 11Khz).. for space... sometimes overdo a bit on verb just 2 add some compression for pumping !! :)

Z

loopdon
04-01-2005, 11:18 PM

that's an answer i like, i was just curious, this moving things to the back/ into the foreground shall be looked into ;)

loopdon
04-01-2005, 11:20 PM
well generally I use a buss with a verb, the verb generally has everything cut bellow 400-500 hz (sometimes a lot higher) and above 8-9 Khz aswell... its generally a very open spacy verb so it's basically only 2 give a little hint o verb... some space... (I use Basslane on the master 2 keep everything bellow 150-250 Hz MONO).

Delay i might use it on vocals or synths just as a source of diferent sequences or somethin'...

I have used verb on my master of very old tracks that were like big Mono pieces... so I will add a rediculously tinny amount of very wide verb (lpf - 3Khz, HPF - 11Khz).. for space... sometimes overdo a bit on verb just 2 add some compression for pumping !! :)

Z

as always, a great answer, thanks, ze! :clap:

gunjack
05-01-2005, 04:51 AM
Not quite sure why reverb on kicks is a bad thing. its a bad thing for the same reason that panning your kick is a bad thing. its a bad thing for the same reason that chorus on the kick is bad. think about it. :roll:

Komplex
05-01-2005, 05:30 AM
its ok if u cut all the bass out.

otherwise you'll be smudgeing low frequencies and ****ing things up.

loopdon
05-01-2005, 11:49 AM
cut bass+ basslane, then there should be no problems...

Basil Rush
05-01-2005, 07:50 PM

that's an answer i like, i was just curious, this moving things to the back/ into the foreground shall be looked into ;)

Take a little top off the things you want to sound at the back of the mix too to complete the illusion.

Basil Rush
05-01-2005, 07:51 PM
cut bass+ basslane, then there should be no problems...

Yeah, reverb on kicks really works if there's a bit of track with not a lot other than kick and bass. A tiny touch of verb on the kick and a tiny touch of chorus on the bass and it can start to sound well expensive.

loopdon
05-01-2005, 08:00 PM
i allways love your advice, baz, thanks...

erm.. and please go on :oops:

j_s
05-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Not quite sure why reverb on kicks is a bad thing. its a bad thing for the same reason that panning your kick is a bad thing. its a bad thing for the same reason that chorus on the kick is bad. think about it. :roll:

It's fine so long as you make sure you make sure the bass signal & reverb stays mono. Using reasonably substantial amounts of controlled reverb seems like fairly common practise in techno....

tocsin
05-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Last record that was pressed which I worked on with others had a track with panning kicks. Needle doesn't jump. Thought it sounded fine.

loopdon
05-01-2005, 11:24 PM
how did it work on a rig, did you test it?

tocsin
06-01-2005, 12:55 AM
how did it work on a rig, did you test it?

Yeah. It's worked fine whether I'm playing either the digital file or the record. Granted, I really don't have much of a clue as to what goes into mastering for vinyl so I don't know if the engineer would have tweaked the track to make the panning work on the vinyl. But, from what I can tell through listening, the panning wasn't really touch. About all it sounded like was the engineer compressed the track a bit since the volumes were most likely a bit hot.

The only thing I'd heard about panning kicks on vinyl posing was a problem was that, if the kicks were too loud, it could jump the needle. That might explain why I think it sounds compressed. But, hell, here's a link to the track. It came out on Bastard Loud 18 and is basically a dis on a friend, DJ Nevermind.
http://acidgrave.gabber.org/bl18/tocsin-neverspank.mp3 Just a fun silly hardcore track. That's the recording straight off the vinyl.

DJZeMigL
06-01-2005, 02:52 PM
the guy at the mastering stage probaly mono-fied everything bellow 150hz or so.. so u still get the panning... but if the original add some hint of phasing frequencies on the bass, the outcome of the master might have a slightly less bottom heavy eq!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==