PDA

View Full Version : Laptop for live pa use

Greg Dee
03-01-2005, 10:52 PM
looking around for one...would a G4 powered mac laptop running with 1 gig of ram be sufficient to run ableton and SX at the same time without any problems? Does processor speed make a big impact on the performance of the machine during a performance?

xfive
03-01-2005, 11:07 PM
A G4 Powerbook should be able to do quite a bit... but make sure you get the absolute fastest CPU you can afford, even it if means dealing with less ram in the short term.

I have an 800mhz G4 powerbook that I bought about 2 years ago. It works like a champ.. but every day I wish it were faster.

I guess it's also good to ask what sort of use it will be getting... audio clip playback? Synthesis/FX?... just midi?? etc

Greg Dee
04-01-2005, 06:29 AM
A G4 Powerbook should be able to do quite a bit... but make sure you get the absolute fastest CPU you can afford, even it if means dealing with less ram in the short term.

I have an 800mhz G4 powerbook that I bought about 2 years ago. It works like a champ.. but every day I wish it were faster.

I guess it's also good to ask what sort of use it will be getting... audio clip playback? Synthesis/FX?... just midi?? etc

im gonna be using it mainly for clip playback, along with a slew of VST effects and as well as the exchange of midi data.

Komplex
04-01-2005, 07:43 AM
why ableton AND sx? they are capable of doing the same thing...

ampassasinbirmingham
04-01-2005, 01:41 PM
i have a 1.33ghz powerbook with 1bg of ram and it works like a rocket. i cant give it enough shit to do???

Greg Dee
04-01-2005, 05:20 PM
why ableton AND sx? they are capable of doing the same thing...

lol i meant one or the other.

Barely Human
04-01-2005, 05:48 PM
I have a pentium 4, 3gig laptop with 512 ram. I use it for all my music production, and it leathers the pants off my desktop any day of the week. Personally i would stay away from macs, but thats my personal preferance. If you look after your system, then stabilty will not be a problem. The age old myth that macs are more stable is unfounded from my own personal use. Plus macs are far too expensive compared to thier pc laptop counterparts which are cheaper to upgrade, have more software available, and actually run faster...

BRADLEE
04-01-2005, 06:49 PM
I would also like to use a laptop to perform a live PA. So Ableton is the software I need to do so???

xfive
04-01-2005, 07:46 PM

im gonna be using it mainly for clip playback, along with a slew of VST effects and as well as the exchange of midi data.

Yeah you should be good man. The VST's will start eating up cpu quick tho. Also I don't really see why you would want all of the overhead of rewiring into SX or vise versa... sorta redundant if you ask me ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==