PDA

View Full Version : Double kicks???

tracatak
04-01-2005, 10:37 PM
is it unheard of to have two kicks back to back..instead of the normal
k--- k--- k--- k--- for example.....Kk-- Kk-- Kk-- Kk-- or is it maybe the delay causing it to sound like that...

loopdon
04-01-2005, 10:44 PM
either use a reverb on a send from your kick and play with the 'predelay' setting, dunno if that's what your after.

or as basil rush (i think) once posted, put the same kickdrum on a second channel and place them on the step before your kicks,

like:

channel 1 kick: K---K---K---K---

channel 2 kick: ---K---K---K---K

1--21--21--21--2 together; 1 standing for kick on ch1 and 2 standing for the kick on channel 2, easy as that.

so the channel 2 kick plays just before your channel 1 kick,

place a hipass filter on channel 2 and 'cutoff' somewhere in the range between 100 and 300 Hz (experiment, depends on yer kick sound), the higher, the less bassy your second kick will be.

this second method sounds more like what you were trying to achieve i suppose. :cool:

Internal Error Records
04-01-2005, 10:58 PM
1 word-

velocity.

i love doing 'midi reverb' by actually having a bass drum on every 16th note at different velocities

loopdon
04-01-2005, 11:26 PM
i've played with velocities like this for example:

1-231-231-231-23

1 is the main kick as you would normally use it, - means nokick here ,
2 is a kick say with a velocity of 3/4 of the main kick, followed by 3 which would be played a half the velocity of the main kick, kind of handmade-delay sounding thing i suppose.

slavestudios
05-01-2005, 03:40 AM
i'm finding it almost impossible to stick to a straight 4/4 these days..

EVERYTHING i do has at least 1 extra kick of the straight four...

loopdon
05-01-2005, 11:54 AM
i'm constantly experimenting, too.

tracatak
05-01-2005, 02:15 PM
whoa thanks ...great tips here...really got me going now...im tryin all these techniques..now i got one ? does the same apply for percussion ..(i.e hats, crashes, toms, snares, etc) i use a lil different tricsk on perc myself..wonering if u think same would work ok onthat...well im off to try heh...thanks again :rambo:

slavestudios
05-01-2005, 03:08 PM
always try nu stuff. and if it dont sound right straight off.. let it run for a few bars.. maybe try a few more hits & drum parts, but ALWAYS try nu ideas.. its the key to everything imo

tracatak
05-01-2005, 10:54 PM
does ducking and compression werk the same? some1 is teaching me to sue ducking (peak controller and vol bance w/e in fruity studio) and the other is teaching me to use cmpressors n eq....are these similar techniques used to create teh same sorta feel?

loopdon
06-01-2005, 12:10 AM
ducking can replace compression to a certain extent and they can be used together as well.

as allways there's several ways to get a job done....

tocsin
06-01-2005, 01:03 AM
Jay, if youi're doing techno that has some significant changes in it (or just different projects for that matter) you might find that one will work better than the other in certain cirumstances. Some people use both but, from my own experience, it's a bit over my head I think since I haven't found an advantage of using both at the same time. Generally, I use compression more than ducking for anything else. But, you've heard some of the shit I've worked on which means that don't necesarilly mean a damn thing. ;)

acidchild
06-01-2005, 01:28 AM
Using velocity for creating delay like effects is one of my fave things to do. it works awesome for hi hats especially.

tocsin
06-01-2005, 01:45 AM
Using velocity for creating delay like effects is one of my fave things to do. it works awesome for hi hats especially.

Definitely. Nice for midi generated breakbeats or piano lines in my opinion too. In Cakewalk, there's a midi effect routine that does it automatically for you which makes it really nice and easy.

tracatak
07-01-2005, 11:00 PM
so have same hi hat liek like 4 times but each one raised at a differnt vol.. fade it up or down?...that what u mean by velocity?

acidchild
07-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Velocity, at it's simplest, is the force used to play an instrument. How hard you hit the keyboard, or how hard you hit the drum skin with the stick. Lower velocity strikes cause a quieter response. Now in terms of using this in a sequencer, you can map velocity controllers to pretty much any parameters. So using your hi-hat example...say you have a 16th note hi hat sequence...using velocity, you can alter the volume of each step to create swells, echo effects, or whatever.

Mindful
08-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Using velosity creativly on percussion and synths ect helps to give a more human feeling and stops your groove fromsounding stagnent or flat and less machine like(altho i like my music to sound machine like im confusing myself now)

Internal Error Records
08-01-2005, 05:12 PM
In Cakewalk, there's a midi effect routine that does it automatically for you which makes it really nice and easy.

Hey there,
Is there similar in Cubase?

DJZeMigL
08-01-2005, 05:47 PM
yep... there is pleaty of weird & funky Midi Efx.. U can us'em as inserts or sends (adding the original midi messages 2 the ones generated by the midifxs, which in turn can b re-directed 2 any channel and port u want) for each track on the left hand side bar, on the "inspector"/ track settings/ properties...

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==