PDA

View Full Version : a question of plagerism or not..

romelpotter
05-01-2005, 10:47 PM
some years ago I herd a mix done by a great DJ who has heavally influenced my djing style and the whole techno scene for many many years. I spent the next 7 years collecting and importing every record in the mix (down to the correct remix or mix :crackup: ) I have been so influenced by this mix and vowed to one day once i had the complete set on vinyl to re do the mix in a club.
Now i am in a position to be able to do this, i find my self asking questions like: Could it be plagorism? is it just copycatting? what would happen to my reputation as a dj if i did do it? would i loose the respect of fellow dj's and promotors and clubbers?

Would anyone recognise the mix anymore? - this last one i think is important as the last thing i would wan't is for people to think the ideas were mine. Its just something i have always wanted to do, under the right circumstances and setting.

Am i just being nuts? should i just feck it and do it? does anyone rearly care anyway?

anyones views on this would be cool be it the good bad or ugly (ugh now i have started i just can't get enough !! ahhh stop with all this plagorism :lol: )

Stella Boy
05-01-2005, 10:51 PM
good idea to do it at a private party between friends. Go on, spoil yourself and screw what people think.

Traxx
05-01-2005, 10:57 PM
What mix is it?

romelpotter
05-01-2005, 10:58 PM
yea could do but it needs to be done LOUD :twisted: :rambo: :twisted:

Komplex
05-01-2005, 10:59 PM
fck it man. Just do it and have fun.

And if some wannabe dj comes up to u afterwards and says, "You played the same records as that other dj a few years ago" tell him, "I'll buy you a drink if you don't tell anyone." Then when u get the chance hit him over the head with the bottle.

romelpotter
05-01-2005, 11:04 PM
fck it man. Just do it and have fun.

And if some wannabe dj comes up to u afterwards and says, "You played the same records as that other dj a few years ago" tell him, "I'll buy you a drink if you don't tell anyone." Then when u get the chance hit him over the head with the bottle.

hahaha :rambo: its not a bottle but if you can imagin my hand behind the head > :bash:

romelpotter
05-01-2005, 11:05 PM
What mix is it?

mills - live @ liquid rooms. classic :lol:

Mirsha
05-01-2005, 11:17 PM
Going to fudge all the mixes in the right spots as well?

I would say with that mix in particular, do it in a club and you'll either get lamped or they'll think Mills took some time of his busy schedule to do a secret gig.

I heard Ignition Technician play the other year and at one point they played three tracks right out of that mix one after the after (different transition points though) and I thought to myself "How cheesey is that?"

At a party you would get away with it though, with a bunch of sound sorted people they'll understand it as a homage to the most famous techno mix going and get into it. Otherwise you are just going to end up looking like a copy cat boy, or perhaps worse you'll earn a Oakenfold like reputation for just bunging a CD on and snogging your girlfriend through the mixes. Oh sorry thats Judge Jules.

romelpotter
05-01-2005, 11:23 PM
or perhaps worse you'll earn a Oakenfold like reputation for just bunging a CD on and snogging your girlfriend through the mixes. Oh sorry thats Judge Jules.

surly the sweat from my brow and the flames from my hands would put pay to the cd plot, but yea i used to do it on 2 decks and the fudges were remarkably similar, but since moving to 3 theres no problem. unless you want to try and put the records back into their sleves before you que the next one :doh:

AcidTrash
06-01-2005, 02:42 AM
some years ago I herd a mix done by a great DJ who has heavally influenced my djing style and the whole techno scene for many many years. I spent the next 7 years collecting and importing every record in the mix (down to the correct remix or mix :crackup: ) I have been so influenced by this mix and vowed to one day once i had the complete set on vinyl to re do the mix in a club.
Now i am in a position to be able to do this, i find my self asking questions like: Could it be plagorism? is it just copycatting? what would happen to my reputation as a dj if i did do it? would i loose the respect of fellow dj's and promotors and clubbers?
)

What is the point of going to all the effort to learn to mix just so you can emulate something old? Do something new and find your own style. Seems like a pointless excercise to me.

dan the acid man
06-01-2005, 03:01 AM
i can see why you would want to do this, but on an advice point of view i would say only do it at a small party, if your doing it on a larger scale, add some of your own personality to it

eyes without a face
06-01-2005, 01:16 PM
yeah unfortunately id agree, nice idea but a bit pointless really i think

06-01-2005, 01:23 PM
I heard your first attempt at it danny and i thought it was shit hot mate, and if now you think you have mastered it then you are welcome to do it at Locked !

In my opinion it is much harder to recreate something beat for beat than just do something original on the fly ! Much more pressure involved !
It will take some skill!

slavestudios
06-01-2005, 01:36 PM
as long as you can repilcate the bad pitching, woeful phrasing & massive editing of shit mixing, i would say go ahead..

if u respect techno, f**k Mills & do the mix YOUR way

and when ya do it, post it here. it cant be any worse than that cd i bought all those years ago :lol:

on a serious note, a friend of mine done the same thing with the first cd on Saha & Digweeds first Renaissance mix.. played it in a club & 2 weeks later, word on the street was he was fakin it to cds :lol:

so beware

ampassasinbirmingham
06-01-2005, 01:50 PM
id love to see the liquid rooms re created.

Locked- when is the next one, im in some serious need of some quality techno

Traxx
06-01-2005, 02:07 PM

Checl the promo's section. Should be a belter :cool:

ampassasinbirmingham
06-01-2005, 02:50 PM

Checl the promo's section. Should be a belter :cool:

i hear that :lol: :lol:

romelpotter
06-01-2005, 11:01 PM
thanks guys some good points to consider, Jay nice one for that, it would indeed be quality playing at locked be it the liquid rooms set or a marsh mix :twisted: :twisted:

MangaFish
07-01-2005, 01:01 AM
if it was clearly advertised on the flyer as a "jeff mills tribute set" then i really wouldnt see a problem with it at all.

gunjack
07-01-2005, 04:46 AM
why does everyone always asy "liquid roomS"?

anyway RIP liquid room :cry:

Joseph Isaac
07-01-2005, 04:51 PM
I would say the act of researching and collecting records over a period of 7 years is quite an accomplishment...the last thing i would be worried about would be whether the set was copied or not...plus, it will probably sound "new"!

Rydel
10-01-2005, 03:42 PM
My opinion:

1) You could see the mix as an "ode" to the original JM mix.... Especially when it was your main inspiration for starting to play.

2) Your mix will be your impression of that mix anyway, it can never be exactly the same, even if you would want it to be...

3) As long as you don't take the original mix by JM and put your own name on it, it's still YOUR mix.

I wish ya good luck, and show us the result!!!! :twisted:

davethedrummer
10-01-2005, 04:19 PM
well i think if i was standing in a club
and someone started doing that exact mix i would think it to be a bit weird
but then i know it and love it so i would.
most people probably won't give a toss , and if someone gives you a hard time take them to the toilet saying you'll give them some free drugs
and lock them in a cubicle all night
it always works........it did for mills....when i realised he was copying my set a few years ago ....bastard left me in there all night. :doh:

tocsin
10-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Yeah, who gives a shit about the random few who would complain? Just have fun and do what you want to do. Whatever you do, there are always going to be some people bitching about what you're doing. If you truly enjoy it, their opinions wont matter.

romelpotter
11-01-2005, 08:04 PM
, and if someone gives you a hard time take them to the toilet saying you'll give them some free drugs
and lock them in a cubicle all night
it always works........it did for mills....when i realised he was copying my set a few years ago ....bastard left me in there all night. :doh:

hahaha that mills.... he's a right bugger for that :roll: :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==