PDA

View Full Version : hackney unicorn

ollie303
06-01-2005, 04:31 AM
Not to sure what i make of this one myself to be honest! its a little diff to my normal stuff fairly striped down jacking techno with a hint of sleaze.
have a listen but if you say you dont like it ill call you gay and get someone to stab you up :lol:

enjoy

www.southwestunderground.co.uk/hackney_unicorn.mp3

AcidTrash
06-01-2005, 05:08 AM
Don't like the stephen hawkin vocal but arching flange wailing is ace. Nice punchy slap kick. sounds like Guy Mcaffer crossed with Jeff Amadeus. Some nice percussion chopping techniques. If you lost the vocal from this I'd play this for sure.

the beeps could be a bit louder. am straining to hear them. It builds nicely ad the variation comes at the right time. the break is awesome. very eerie.
The creepy riff after the break is wicked.

You should do a remix with a whomping acid line. What did you make this with?

You might wanna run this by Mr Burns for a Blipped Out release.

Please lose the vocal though. It spoils an otherwise exceptional track.

ollie303
06-01-2005, 05:28 AM
The vocals stuck on this one.....my mac got 'the click of death' and it f*cked right up and lost loads of data, i only have the aiffs + mp3 on my laptop :roll:

i have a load of hardware kit but the main of the track was used with:
tr909/ acces virus b/ akia s3000/ juno 106
drawmer compressors/lexicon fx/makie 32-8-2 desk and motu audio interface, sequened with cubase 5 on a formerly working g4!
oh and the tb303 was used for the low sub bass with a f*uck load of compression.

CORROSIVE
06-01-2005, 04:34 PM
im likin this track alot, i quite like the vocals. the breakdown is SAFE AS ****!!! :clap: :clap:

CORROSIVE
06-01-2005, 04:35 PM
is that sample from Enemy of the State??? durin the breakdown.

"i was going to use the 303 for this hit, but i decided to use the Access Virus" :lol: safe.

dirty_bass
06-01-2005, 04:52 PM
This is pretty solid.
The compression is over done over the whole mix, and the huge level changes it causes when it pumps need to be sorted.
The compression is also killing all the other sounds in the mix and flattening them off, so you are losing dynamic.
Maybe some other percussion to make the basic kick-hat beat a bit more iinteresting would be helpful., as the sounds of the 909 are a bit tired.

jesus
06-01-2005, 05:26 PM
yeha super compression on this , everything gets sucked in when it kicks and when stuff comes in and out especially that ride/hat that slices through every few bars. nice tune though lots of good synths and sounds, good arrangement too.

ollie303
06-01-2005, 05:54 PM
i overly compressed this on purpose, i wanted it to suck and go all over the shop! this is the first track ive done with my new desk and im just getting to grips with the busses and diff ways of grouping things with compresion,i expect thats why it sounds on and off in places. ill have a machinedrum in the next few days so i can play with some new percussion sounds, try n make some diff sounded stuff (with out staying to far from the techno sound)
as i have no real expectations off getting much out on vinyl nowerdays im just makeing random noise with less rules, and its actully pretty funny :lol:

and oris yeah that sample was the said film :clap:

back on the tb next time though ;) should be intresting!

CORROSIVE
06-01-2005, 07:43 PM
"makeing random noise with less rules, and its actully pretty funny"

blatently.

j_s
06-01-2005, 08:43 PM
This is cool. Quite trippy, like the push/pull background noise(s) that run(s) through a lot of the groove. Not so keen on the grainy distortion (bit crusher?) you've used over some of the sections. The huge volume change during the kickless is a bit disconcerting too, but that's easily sorted. Over all, interesting stuff...

ollie303
06-01-2005, 09:02 PM
cheers for the feed back guys its all been taken in good merit ,and ill aplly it to future projects.

safe :clap:

acidsaturation
29-01-2005, 08:52 PM
HAve to agree - Love the tune, but some of the volume changes are bugging me. Shame you lost the parts 'cos this would be a killa!

dan the acid man
30-01-2005, 08:28 PM
HAve to agree - Love the tune, but some of the volume changes are bugging me. Shame you lost the parts 'cos this would be a killa!

im in agreement, i also agree that a few extra percussive sounds would push this along nicely, but apart from that, this is a dirty old beast :cool:

audioinjection
31-01-2005, 04:32 PM
hmmmm, this track sounds too compressed, like everything is muddy

dj id
01-02-2005, 10:40 PM
hmmmm, this track sounds too compressed, like everything is muddy

You say that every time!

I like the compression I think I'm gonna try and plan a track with heavy as **** compression and choose some really loud bits to cut in and out of it.......

I reckon breakdowns with lots of top end are excellent for that sort of thing because they seem so insanely loud!!

Evil G
01-02-2005, 10:50 PM
I reckon breakdowns with lots of top end are excellent for that sort of thing because they seem so insanely loud!!

hurting people's ears is fun and cool? :doh:

dj id
03-02-2005, 03:36 PM

Hmm, never thought of it like that........ :oops:

ollie303
03-02-2005, 03:40 PM

it can be with sharp metal objects depends who it is :lol:

aint that bad , just a shame i lost the files

278d7e64a374de26f==