PDA

View Full Version : acoustics of room

da hound
07-01-2005, 05:12 PM
any one any ideas on how 2 treat the acoustics of my room on da cheap :?:

Evil G
07-01-2005, 06:40 PM
don't use packing or mattress foam. it doesn't help much and is a terrible fire hazard.

heavy drapes, office cube dividers, bookshelves, etc can help. anything soft and heavy will absorb sound energy rather than reflecting it back or resonating with it (which are both bad).

Honeey
07-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Egg cartons, especially the Styrofoam ones work ok if you have enough of em on the walls not too pretty though unless you feel like whipping out the cans of spray paint and having some fun!

ampassasinbirmingham
07-01-2005, 09:39 PM
if using quilts, drapes/curtains etc, make sure your dont use to many. read up on whee to put them. corners usually trap sound. try to have some sort of treatment behind the speakers, make sure your speakers are not in a corner or too near any walls.

other forum members will be well clued up on this. i think mr eg has read up a fair bit on this also.

DJZeMigL
08-01-2005, 11:37 AM
I think this was posted sometime ago on an old post (use the search button mofo ;) U should find plenty of topics about this)...

Here is a link 2 a small and simple "tutorial"...

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/hearnoevil.pdf

Z

MARKEG
08-01-2005, 08:29 PM
right yeah, i've really been looking into this. those auralex products are by far the best. you give them the dimensions of the room annd they recommend what to do. i'm buying a load of stuff from them next week. BUT they're expensive. the treatment alone is gonna cost me about 1000 quid i think :shock: the best cheap things i saw were bass traps on ebay that go in the corners of the room. the bloke makes them himself and always has them on there. they look perfect for a cheap solution. my last studio also had carpet underlay on all the walls (the black one). besides looking absolutely superb, it really deadened the sound of the hf's. much better than drapping old tatty curtains or a mattress methinks ;)

as for egg boxes, well i hate to be the one to argue but in my eyes this really is an old wives tale.

good luck on your mission though. :)

Internal Error Records
08-01-2005, 08:42 PM
in the last 2 years too many clubs have set on fire with those egg crate foam insulaters. its a fire trap.

i'ld rather live with the accustics!

Honeey
08-01-2005, 09:22 PM
as for egg boxes, well i hate to be the one to argue but in my eyes this really is an old wives tale.

Saw it work ok a few years back in a home cement room I mean it's way far from perfect that's for sure and it has its obvious drawbacks (I've never heard of that being used in a club before and I would not agree with that type of usage for egg cartons anyways!) but if you are on a starving artist budget, it's all ya got, and you are not a pyro in your studio it does help.

(a starving artist budget here in what is affectionately known as "cow town" :neutral: is pretty much zero and whatever can be donated by various friends and relatives.)

Internal Error Records
08-01-2005, 09:25 PM
super heavy curtains from the Salvation Army might also work well.

RDR
10-01-2005, 01:39 PM
i agree with mark on the egg box thing. it is an old wives tale.

It looks like it should work, but does not. plus the amount of eggs you'd have to buy loads if it did.

plus what the hell could you do with so many eggs? LOL!

:doh:

you might as well spend the money on getting decent baffling...

:shutup:

[/u]

278d7e64a374de26f==