PDA

View Full Version : God, make my mix wider

musicbox
09-01-2005, 02:40 AM
Hi guys and girls,
I need some serious tips and tricks on how to make my mix sound "wider". I've heard there are so many tricks around, for example putting a line to the left and the same to the right, but with different instruments. Another thing I've heard is to pan the reverboutput from a instrument to the opposite side and so on.. and not to mention using different hats and stuff, effects panning in the background...

Im trying, but it is hard.
So, I guess you got it:

Do you have any tricks you want to share on how to make a mix sound "wider" ?

I guess everything helps!!

Barely Human
09-01-2005, 02:58 AM
Sometimes i put really high, short stabbing hits in. And then pan them quite drastically left to righ and have them moving along in the background...

Internal Error Records
09-01-2005, 04:43 AM
how about running your lines thru tube amps?

dirty_bass
09-01-2005, 06:22 AM
If your talking width within the frequency spectrum or "fullness" or "phatness"
then my best advice is to learn really good subtrative EQ.

If your talking Width within the stereo field, then there are loads of things you can do, pannaing, plitting, chorus, etc.

Internal Error Records
09-01-2005, 03:49 PM

Subtractice EQ? How is that different from normal eq?

Scott Kemix
09-01-2005, 05:10 PM
If your talking width within the frequency spectrum or "fullness" or "phatness"

If your talking Width within the stereo field, then there are loads of things you can do, pannaing, plitting, chorus, etc.

Plitting??

Ritzi Lee
09-01-2005, 05:47 PM
it's all about panning your sounds.

loopdon
09-01-2005, 06:46 PM
it's all about panning your sounds.

please gibe advice, mate! :cool:

loopdon
09-01-2005, 06:51 PM
another thing worth trying, i suppose:

Elevayta Wide Boy*FREE*

http://home.wanadoo.nl/paul.harvey/media/wide_boy.jpg

What is it?

A stereo enhancer effect compatible with most VST 2.0+, Windows based, host software applications e.g. Cubase, Orion etc. Unlike most other stereo enhancers, 'Wider Boy Pro' uses the fact that low frequencies are less directional than higher frequencies. By separating out the two frequency bands, and selectively applying different processing to Bass and Treble, 'Wider Boy Pro' realizes a wider stereo sound without losing the punch of the bass. The parameter range and flexibility also provides the possibility to generate a number of interesting additional effects.

The basic principles behind 'Wider Boy Pro' and "Wide Boy" are the same. However, 'Wider Boy Pro' has been significantly refined in line with the very positive feedback from initial trials of the FREE 'Wide Boy' plugin. 'Wider Boy Pro' thus offers much more flexibility and many more possibilities whilst retaining the same intuitive user interface.

Download:

http://home.planet.nl/~harve009/plugins/Wide_Boy_v115.zip

dirty_bass
09-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Subtractive EQ is a far better way of Eqing your tunes.
In a nutshell, instead of enhancing the frequencies you want to stand out on a particular sound, you take away all the frequencies that you don`t want.
This leaves far more room in the mix, allowing sounds to breath and a fuller mix to be achieved. Using subtracive eq to fit sounds around each other rather than on top and through each other is much more "pro"
There`s a lot more to it than this, but if you do a search in this forum you should find some good articles.

Internal Error Records
09-01-2005, 07:29 PM
cool thanks.

Scott Kemix
10-01-2005, 12:13 AM
BOB ON!

Still would like to know what plitting is?

dirty_bass
10-01-2005, 12:40 AM
hehe, I meant splitting, as in extreme panning.

Scott Kemix
10-01-2005, 01:12 AM
yea man, good advice :lol:

RDR
10-01-2005, 11:39 AM
I agree with dirty_bass 100%

Removing things you dont want is the only way to really clean up our mix. After all a gardener doesnt try to plant more flowers to cover up the weeds, they remove the weeds so they can see the flowers.

The other older addage is "you can't polish a turd." Its no good trying to master a track that contains mis-matched frequencies, amplitude snaps and pops etc etc.

As for mix widening try this trick

(making sure you aint widening anything below about 400hz)
take a loop and clone the loop onto another track, pan hard left and right, invert the phase on the right hand loop and then take away the mid frequenices using an EQ on the left. experiment a bit with the EQ and you should be able to hear bits of the loop pulling backwards and forwards.

HTH!

audioinjection
10-01-2005, 10:08 PM
also give each of your sounds their own stereo field..........dont pan different sounds in the same area, you want to fill up every space you can (if need be)

and a slight bit of reverb on your master channel works too

audioinjection
10-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Subtractive EQ is a far better way of Eqing your tunes.
In a nutshell, instead of enhancing the frequencies you want to stand out on a particular sound, you take away all the frequencies that you don`t want.
This leaves far more room in the mix, allowing sounds to breath and a fuller mix to be achieved. Using subtracive eq to fit sounds around each other rather than on top and through each other is much more "pro"
There`s a lot more to it than this, but if you do a search in this forum you should find some good articles.

i totally agree, i've been doing this with all my tracks for a long time now, subtractive eq is a great way to make your shit sound really good

Scott Kemix
11-01-2005, 12:50 AM
Good idea!

pedrod
16-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Using tremelo will make your tracks sound fatter and wider

thats one simple way of making things sit better in your tracks

Reverb used correctly has to be the best plug in ever invented (Especially Space Designer and Altiverb)

... I Just got my mixes sound even fatter by buying a Summing mixing bus by Audient with a Bus Compresor and Limiter. Its giving me lots more headroom and more ..... WIDE.. NESS ...

but for the amount of channels I have its expensive

hope this helps ..must dash

RDR
17-01-2005, 04:31 PM
pedro!

good to see you here...

Chris.T

loopdon
17-01-2005, 06:53 PM
another big playa on the board :cool:

278d7e64a374de26f==