PDA

View Full Version : more women into techno !!!

CHRISSI
29-04-2003, 03:15 PM
Why o why aren't there more women who are into techno ??? and if you are, where the hell are you hiding ?? Anyone got an answer ?? I can't be the only one can I ?? :cry:

Chrissi ;o0

K Front
29-04-2003, 03:36 PM
Thats pretty wierd you saying that, because around here apart from me and a couple other mates, its a lot of the girls that love there techno!

Patrick
29-04-2003, 03:37 PM
Good question. I've also been asking this for a while.
I think it might be a genetic thing where most girls lack the gene that makes us blokes really anally retentive about stuff like collecting records, sampling, tweaking bits of kit etc. If we weren't into techno, we'd probably be collecting stamps or playing with our train sets. :lol: :lol:

Nah, seriously, I don't no why it is and I've recently had this same conversation with Rachel (DJ Rakit) at S.U.F. But in an attempt to do something about it we've decided to have a laydeez night at 1stGeneration for our night in July. We've booked DJs Rakit and Gizelle from the S.U.F collective and will hopefully have one or more local upcoming female DJs playing on the bill with them which might hopefully give others the confidence to come forward and have a go themselves. It also might make more girls come to the nights (purely from a clubbers perspective) if they see girls representing on the turntables. Which might in turn make them think about production.......
Probably not, but ya gotta start somewhere and at least try, I reckons.

Patrick
29-04-2003, 03:40 PM
On a sort of related topic, does anyone remember two DJs, Kimberley and Chantelle who used to play a stonkin' back to back techno set ? Showing my age here, cos this is giong back a few years, but they often turned up at free parties with the Spirals, Bedlam and Virus. Just wondered what ever happened to them and if they're still playing.

Patrick
29-04-2003, 03:42 PM
Thats pretty wierd you saying that, because around here apart from me and a couple other mates, its a lot of the girls that love there techno!

Really ? I'll swap you a van load of hairy, sweaty blokes for some of 'em then ! ha ha. :wink: :lol:

Plymouth ? You sure it's not just a load of sailor boys in dresses ? :P

crime
29-04-2003, 03:45 PM
Check out Esther Ofei, she did 3 releases for Sheer, and has got one coming soon on Neue Heimat....

BritishMurderBoy
29-04-2003, 04:40 PM
whos that topless DJ that everyone loves :wink:

T
29-04-2003, 04:43 PM
I've met plenty of ladies into their techno, a DJ called Lizze used to do a night round my way in south london, was wicked and she seemed to love it, she had the liberators down now & again. My girlfriend likes it, but increasingly sounds more like my mother when she get's the arse with me playing my music in the flat :cry: she likes it only in a certain context it seems.
I generally have trouble finding people in general into techno, only a minority of my mates are well into it...but we ****in love it.

CHRISSI
29-04-2003, 05:05 PM
It's good to know that there are girls out there who are into it and yeah, if there were more female djs on the decks, maybe it would encourage more to come out of the woodwork. I hope so !! Maybe some feel intimidated because there are so much more guys into it. I don't cos I love it too much but it is mad sometimes when you're havin a good ol stomp an' ur the only girl on the floor !

Chrissi ;o0

Subuteo
29-04-2003, 05:14 PM
It's just one of them things I reckon.

I've always had trouble finding other lasses into Techno (apart from me best mate that is!) which is why we always end up going clubbing/partying with lads cos there's simply more male Technoheads.

Although latley, I'm starting to notice a hell of a lot more ladies, especially behind the decks. I now know of at least 12 female Techno DJ's, in London alone, who play out on a regular basis. although comparing that to the amount of lad's, that's nothing! I think some of us sometimes find it a wee bit un-nerving to get up there and play infront of a male dominated crowd. I had it a few times where you get the 'Oh look, it's a girl gonna play, let's watch her Fu*k up!' from the odd ignorant bloke but I've got to say the majority of people are really supportive of a lass playing out and I'm always trying to encourage other girls to play out too.

So come on you Lasses !! :wink:

miasma man
29-04-2003, 06:30 PM
Hmm, you have a point. It is a shame that there are so many lads into Techno. I mean I don't really know any girl/lady/female (whatever?) who is into Techno. Well, except you it seems.

Maybe it's cos of the image and culture that the public perceives Techno (incorrectly) to be. Leads onto another topic about the different types of Techno not being promoted enough maybe. I have heard some people I know who don't like or understand Techno say it is MACHO (F***ing misinformed t***s!) If people are percieving Techno to be macho then that also puts them off - we need to change this!

I also agree with what someone else posted on this topic about saying they have difficulty in finding friends who are into Techno. I have exactly the same problem. I only know 4 people who love Techno as much as I do (2 of them are Mark and Chrissi!). The other 2 don't want to come out and play at the moment which is not good for me! As a result I don't end up going to as many Techno events as I'd like cos I don't really have anyone to go with! Sob! I have mates into D & B and hang out with them from time to time but it's just not the same.

I reckon that someone should start an online Techno dating service cos I really really need to meet a girl who luuurves Techno as much as me!

Anyway, enough of my drivellings.

Yes, not enough girls is an issue that needs to be sorted. We have all got some feedback about maybe why this is BUT what are WE gonna do about it?

What can we do?

:(

Buttman
29-04-2003, 06:51 PM
Had a quite fiery discussion about this on g-tech mailinglist a while ago and I guess we just came up with one answer: it is hard for women to break into the penis dominated scene.

I do not totally agree with this but well well..

The other day I found a really promising woman though!
www.nika77.com

Female, good taste AND good dj! ****ing rarity!

miasma man
29-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Hey hey!

Nika 77 - babe!

Why can't I meet girls like?

Probably cos I'm on the computer and internet forums all the time???

Adverse
29-04-2003, 07:14 PM
Hey hey!

Nika 77 - babe!

Why can't I meet girls like?

Probably cos I'm on the computer and internet forums all the time???

hahaha could be :wink:

wenna
29-04-2003, 07:44 PM
LORI THE HI-FI PRINCESS PPPHHHWARRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops:

T
29-04-2003, 07:45 PM
Miasma man said: I only know 4 people who love Techno as much as I do (2 of them are Mark and Chrissi!). The other 2 don't want to come out and play at the moment which is not good for me! As a result I don't end up going to as many Techno events as I'd like cos I don't really have anyone to go with! Sob! I have mates into D & B and hang out with them from time to time but it's just not the same.

I know how you feel, I have been to less techno events in the last year than ever, it's a real shame. I play out myself here and there but other than that, its internet and playing records in the bedroom! Last techno night I went to was with a FEMALE friend, back in december 2002 at system on a thursday, we had a wicked night but my nights out are few and far between. Being skint from living in london doesn't help either.

Paul Nisbet
29-04-2003, 08:15 PM
Me lady bloody hates tech. She loves hardstyle and hard trance. But detests tech. But in the end wat does she know, lol.

miasma man
29-04-2003, 09:06 PM
Thing is though T I'm starting to get to know more people from the forums so maybe we should hook up once in a while and do something exciting....

:D

K Front
30-04-2003, 08:57 AM
You sure it's not just a load of sailor boys in dresses ? :P

your probably right mate...

T
30-04-2003, 02:42 PM
Thing is though T I'm starting to get to know more people from the forums so maybe we should hook up once in a while and do something exciting....

:D

I agree.

CHRISSI
06-05-2003, 05:53 PM
That would be an idea. There seems to be a nice bunch of people on the forum that you could meet up with to go to some techno gigs. Take your girlies along and convert them bit by bit !! hehehe

TECHNO SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH !!!

Chrissi ;o0 :twisted:

Elle
08-05-2003, 11:27 PM
im a hard trance chick but i do like techno, just dont know so much about it, and cant really afford to but techno as well as trance records at the mo!! went to the april 1st generation and had the best night ive had in ages stompin away! so yeah im being converted slowly but surely!! have found that even with hard trance blokes can be a bit patronising, if you say you like hard trance they go "i suppose you like scooter then etc" so i guess techno blokes might be a bit like that aswell?" anyway, i do like me techno im just a bit of a newbie!!

G-whizz
09-05-2003, 11:07 AM
I think techno in general is becoming alot more popular ! I know loads of people that like it ...in my main group of mates theres about 10-15 of us an equal mixture of girls and blokes and we all love it !! but the main problem we find is that there plenty of people into it but ...there not into it enough to listen to it all night . So hopefully there will be more thats have two rooms one trance and one techno ..... then we`d be able to converte more :D

mike heath
09-05-2003, 12:20 PM
When you lot say techno do you mean hardcore techno Producer & Dolphin style or techno Luke Mcmillan style?

MARKEG
09-05-2003, 01:42 PM
well there's lots of different styles of techno, and luke macmillian plays alot of different styles but i think the style that people really mean on this board is anything from surgeon to mills, beyer to hawtin.

if you check out the stuff we release on the blackout audio label, it might give you an insight into what we're talking about (although hey, there's alot more out there that just the style we release)..

Methodixxx
09-05-2003, 03:14 PM
Hey G :wink:

G-whizz
09-05-2003, 03:54 PM
Small world bruv :wink:

JACKSTAR
09-05-2003, 04:24 PM
I've played a couple of gigs with Miss Yetti from Germany and believe me she is FIT :lol: . I find most of the clubs in Germany hold a good number of quality women and are not afraid to shake it a little either. It's a shame the clubs in the UK are lacking in female numbers but hey you can't have it all :wink:

P.

Patrick
09-05-2003, 08:41 PM
I've played a couple of gigs with Miss Yetti from Germany and believe me she is FIT :lol: . I find most of the clubs in Germany hold a good number of quality women and are not afraid to shake it a little either. It's a shame the clubs in the UK are lacking in female numbers but hey you can't have it all :wink:

P.

MMMMMmmmmmiss Yetti. I've got a mix cd of hers which I've been playing non stop recently. Looks and ability - it seems some people can have it all. :wink:

Methodixxx
10-05-2003, 01:54 AM
Mmnnn Yeti - she is indeed quite the looker, and deffo skilled too! :thumbs up:

Down here in Sydney there are a few female techno djs.. not too many, but there is certainly a few... The crowd that goes to the techno parties is prolly over 40% female too, with some of the of the big tech-heads / purists being girls! :P

mike heath
10-05-2003, 04:28 PM
if you check out the stuff we release on the blackout audio label, it might give you an insight into what we're talking about (although hey, there's alot more out there that just the style we release)..

I can't seem to find anything on the Blackout Audio label...where can I get hold of some?

MARKEG
10-05-2003, 05:42 PM
well www.tuneinn.com have got the latest one in right now

mike heath
10-05-2003, 06:01 PM
well www.tuneinn.com have got the latest one in right now

Cheers mate what's it called?

MARKEG
10-05-2003, 07:33 PM
mike - goto

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2320&sid=76f74ec965661ad6ab4468310 b82b9a8

TechnoSlut
12-05-2003, 04:12 AM
I'm hiding in the ghettos of Toronto and in Johnny's basement. ahah.

We don't generally have many techno events in Toronto which is very unfortunate. Every few months, we get a fukhouse event. At the end of March, fukhouse brought in Adam Beyer and Marco Carola, which was a very nice treat. Blue teams up with Restructured every couple months to throw a techno event and that's about it for techno in Toronto. Last month, Gaetano Parisio & Danilo Vigorito were on the bill. Gaetano was supposed to do a live PA but something came up and Christian Smith ended up replacing him. Regardless, the night was very funky. I still wish there was more techno up in here, though.

-T

DJAmok
12-05-2003, 05:00 AM
One newcomer techno woman to watch out for is Seema from Germany. This girl has a lot of talent and a serious attitude problem. :D Her stuff is often more aggresive than mine :shock:

She´s been producing for roughly a year or so now, keep yer eyes open, records should be on the way from what I understand.

Here´s some loops she and I did the other day

http://www.djamok.net/dd/AmokSeemaKrachsession01.mp3

http://www.djamok.net/dd/AmokSeemaKrachsession03.mp3

JACKSTAR
12-05-2003, 09:38 AM
OK I love the loops but when are they gonna be out on vinyl ? :lol:

P.

Adverse
12-05-2003, 11:50 AM
those loops are solid. they remind me of you amok :)

DJAmok
13-05-2003, 01:39 PM
@ Paul: It´ll probably still take a while, maybe Artillery 03 or on Thrill, we´ll see. :D

@ Adverse: That´s cuz I helped ;)

CHRISSI
13-05-2003, 04:02 PM
Nice loops man - right up my alley !!!

Can't wait to hear them on the dancefloor, which wil be ??????????

Chrissi ;o0

TripleX
13-05-2003, 04:15 PM
OK I love the loops but when are they gonna be out on vinyl ? :lol:

P.

Word!
good job Amok :D

TRB
14-05-2003, 02:22 AM
Here in Brazil we have some female djs like: Ana Pet , K-milla, Paula ...

Ana Pet r ****ing amazing, she spinn with the husban, David.

Mark EG know this couple...

They play some gigs in German with DJ Rush.

Susanne
21-05-2003, 03:30 PM
More women into techno ... I support this. Women can be great DJs! Have a look at Paula Temple - I think she`s one of the best DJs in the UK. She has her own show on www.totallyradio.com - Do you know it and like it?

daviec
21-05-2003, 05:55 PM
Maybe this dj should start playing some techno...

Portia Surreal (http://www.portiasurreal.com/index.htm)

:wink:

Skarabex
21-05-2003, 06:21 PM
in my oppinion maybe the hardest girly dj is Gayle San?! or am I wrong?! :D

TripleX
21-05-2003, 07:57 PM
Here in Brazil we have some female djs like: Ana Pet , K-milla, Paula ...

Ana Pet r **** amazing, she spinn with the husban, David.

Mark EG know this couple...

They play some gigs in German with DJ Rush.

they are called pet duo, right?

MARKEG
21-05-2003, 08:04 PM
yup.. lovely people although i'm allergic to ana's cats :(

djlukas
21-05-2003, 09:49 PM
we have a couple of wemen into techno in brazil...

to name a few we have mara bruiser, ana(pet duo), Gab, K-milla and others!!!

they all rock!!!

Lukas

Why o why aren't there more women who are into techno ??? and if you are, where the hell are you hiding ?? Anyone got an answer ?? I can't be the only one can I ?? :cry:

Chrissi ;o0

DJZeMig_L
22-05-2003, 01:02 AM
Hey Lukas It's such a pitty dj's and music doesn't crossover between us like the soap operas... (novelas)...
I would luv 2 hear more Brasilian DJs over here! :)

Aquele abraço forte Portuga,

Dustin Zahn
22-05-2003, 08:30 AM
LORI THE HI-FI PRINCESS PPPHHHWARRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops:

Saw her at Even Further 2001. Enjoyed the set! Little progressive dare I say, but not bad.

Subuteo
22-05-2003, 01:05 PM

they all rock!!!

Lukas

Mara used to be a regular on the London Party scene before she fell pregnant and had her sprogg then moved back to Brazil. Wonder if she's still playing out there at all ? Pat (DJ Junkie Slip) also moved out there with her to kick off his Djing career. Heard anything of him ?? The parties aint the same without em.

djlukas
23-05-2003, 07:34 PM
Mara is spining a lot here in brazil...

he got into a dja agency that is the same of pet duo, camilo rocha, etc...

pat (junkie slip) also is spining a lot here... not as much as mara but he is spining a lot...

respect!

Lukas

they all rock!!!

Lukas

Mara used to be a regular on the London Party scene before she fell pregnant and had her sprogg then moved back to Brazil. Wonder if she's still playing out there at all ? Pat (DJ Junkie Slip) also moved out there with her to kick off his Djing career. Heard anything of him ?? The parties aint the same without em.

djlukas
23-05-2003, 07:35 PM

she got into a dja agency that is the same of pet duo, camilo rocha, etc...

pat (junkie slip) also is spining a lot here... not as much as mara but he is spining a lot...

respect!

Lukas

they all rock!!!

Lukas

Patrick
24-06-2003, 09:38 PM
Sorry to revive such an old topic, but following on from Chrissi's comments and a conversation with Rachel at S.U.F, we finally got off our arses and decided to do something about the situation. Our next event (http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=24403&sid=3b976b83bdc14757e8005de9 20aa6ed1#24403) is going to be female DJs all night long in the main room. Lets hope this encourages more girls to come into the club and get into their techno.

man_d
25-06-2003, 02:31 AM
.....it is mad sometimes when you're havin a good ol stomp an' ur the only girl on the floor !

Chrissi ;o0

I'll come and stomp next to you next time..!

Seems to me that girls are well into it in the club, but don't really seem to listen to it outside of that environment - my theory is because you can't really sing along to it, and most birds like music they can sing to.

Dunno. I might be talking rubbish.

spiralx
25-06-2003, 10:52 AM
Nah I agree... whenever I'm out at a techno night or squat there are always plenty of women there dancing, but it doesn't seem to be quite the obsession it is for the male techno lovers I know ;) My girlfriend is well up for going nuts on the dancefloor, but isn't quite so keen to have me listen to it all the time at home :)

T
25-06-2003, 11:14 AM
Nah I agree... whenever I'm out at a techno night or squat there are always plenty of women there dancing, but it doesn't seem to be quite the obsession it is for the male techno lovers I know ;) My girlfriend is well up for going nuts on the dancefloor, but isn't quite so keen to have me listen to it all the time at home :)

same with my girlfriend, likes a good techno night out now and again, but doesn't like me playing too much at home!

serox
25-06-2003, 12:39 PM
agreed. mixing out or hearing techo at partys is one thing. but i cant play techno for longer than 1 hour a night at home b4 the missus complains.

could be somthing to do with those JBLs though :wink:

ripped
25-06-2003, 03:34 PM
at home my misses cant listen for more then a minute, but in a club she shook her ass the whole set..

man_d
25-06-2003, 07:04 PM
God, that must be annoying...

I don't really listen to anything other than european hardcore and gabba anymore, especially on my walkman - anything else is just wrong.

I don't mix so I just stick cds on at home. I've kind of got out of the habit of playing music at home though coz the walls are really thin and the people downstairs get the arse - but you can't exactly have it on dead quiet, can you? Pointless!

k-statik
26-06-2003, 06:36 AM
The unfortunate thing is that there are female "djs" like this slag who
are setting the whole women's lib movement back hundreds of years!

http://www.portiasurreal.com/

Sure she has big, gross, fake tits... but can she mix?!

I'm sure no one would pay enough attention to notice... at least to her
mixing. :roll:

serox
27-06-2003, 11:37 AM
yeh big problem for many peopl living in london. everyone complains about the noise of mixing. not many people in zone1/2 in london can make un limited noise like i can.

davethedrummer
04-07-2003, 12:08 AM
i bet she can mix really well
i reckon she can do the old dave clark beat shuffle
a bit of scratching follwed by some millesque
super fast double copy trix
alternatively she could just wiggle her ass
and shake her tits
which would you rather watch?

The Divide
04-07-2003, 11:23 AM
Diffinatly the beat shuffle followed super fast double copy trix! Then if she shakes her ass and tities that would make her my fav D.J ever! I saw mistress Barbra @ I love techno and that was a stomper

mecca
04-07-2003, 12:27 PM
Magda is one of my fav female djs'

I'm a techno enthusiast! I am however the only female out of my girl-friends who likes techno.

mecca
04-07-2003, 12:28 PM
Magda is one of my fav female djs'

I'm a techno enthusiast! I am however the only female out of my girl-friends who likes techno. :?

The Divide
04-07-2003, 12:58 PM
We need more girls like you then mecca!! Cant you get your girl-friends converted! hahahaha

serox
04-07-2003, 02:54 PM
lady dana is hardest female dj i think i seen. mistress barbra is ok also

Patrick DSP
04-07-2003, 03:17 PM
Lukas, you're going to make me cry. all this talk about Ana from the pets, mara, junkie slim, you, TRB, gab, kamila, camilo rocha, hell just everyone. All super DJ's, and super people. I miss you all

pat/junky slim kicks hardcore ass! in everyway, so does mara. and no one can hold a candle to pet duo. brazil is definatly where it's at for both talented male/female dj's and hard techno!

miss you guys tonnes!
-Patrick
PS - "sol macaco"

he got into a dja agency that is the same of pet duo, camilo rocha, etc...

respect!

Lukas

they all rock!!!

Lukas

iron maiden
04-07-2003, 06:27 PM
this is always a tough topic to shed light on...but here are my 2 bits...Meg Ryan should be out of business, but she ain't. maybe everyone is a romantic. i dunno. let's face it, the majority of the population are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing, but to me, that game is boring. techno over romantic comedies, ladies!!!

i-ron

278d7e64a374de26f==