PDA

View Full Version : Project Planning...

BombJack
11-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Here's an interesting topic...

How do you go about planning a track.

ie. folder structure, how do you keep track of parts that are contained in previous versions of a track etc etc etc. You know what I mean.
Anyway any help is good in this department. I don't have an education per se in music production, so any ideas, advice whatever would be useful.

Most of the chat on this forum is about what is required musically, or sonically how to do things. No one ever seems to talk about how to manage making a track correctly. It's the bit that noone wants to talk about, but at one time or another I'm sure everyone will find it to be important, when they lose track of that part, or sample or whatever...

What do you reckon??

BombJack

DJZeMigL
11-01-2005, 03:53 PM
mainly U should create a Big SX work folder, THEN u need 2 create a new folder for each new track u start....

If U ever get asked by cubase if u want to copy the samples/ convert/ conform 2 the project folder always say yes!

After it's donne.. make sure u save all plug-in user patches that U've created or tweaked...

I always keep a folder outside of cubase called Z patches, then inside it I create a folder for each VST I or plug in that I tweak so I just sav' em there.. If need u can even create subfolders for each with the track names and all! ;)

After finishing the track go into yer pool and do a "delete all unused media".. delete all muted parts and notes... File / Export project 2 a new folder...

keep a folder called Finished projects... that's where u export a folder/ track for each finished project.

Keep yer samples on a Sample library folder... then make as many sub-categories (as long as they are logic, i.e. make any sense) as u need 2 easily find any sound u might b looking for.

A track is never finished until U make a CD back Up of yer projects data including the final wav file... if u make yer "pre-mastering" save the original and yer master aswell... Make an audio Cd aswell with both.

PS - No matter what people say a DAT recording of yer musical pieces is still 10000000000 times better back up than a lousy CD-R!!

Z

Z

tocsin
11-01-2005, 07:15 PM
I pretty much do it the same. On my hard drive, I have a folder called "songs." Off of that, I have different folders for different project names I use or am part of. Off of each of those, I have a folder for each track which holds the actual project/midi file and any of the samples I've used in a track. Just a big tree basically.

FIK
11-01-2005, 11:28 PM
Same here. I also put my reason files in it. Save a lot of hassle.

BombJack
12-01-2005, 03:07 PM
So it looks like most people so far do things in the same way as me...
Cool.

Anyone esle discover some neat tricks we can all use???

BombJack

Mattias Fridell (emb)
13-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Almost all the time i start from scratch, but now and then i use some templates that i´ve created from before...but it takes to much time so i usually start from the zero :!:

278d7e64a374de26f==