PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smoke/Soma etc and the minimal sound.

MARKEG
11-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Really just buzzin so much off this sound at the mo. I don't know what it is, but it reminds me of early Robert Hood but with a more obvious chicago house influence. I'd love to get a who set of this music together, really tight production, great sounds and tight drums. Any more people into this style and is there any other labels you'd recommend??

davethedrummer
11-01-2005, 09:25 PM
this kind of thing was all i used to buy years ago
before i started dj'ing then i gave uo on it 'cos it was too plod to play out.
recently i've got right back into minimal music
i'll go check this out and see what it's doing now.

MARKEG
12-01-2005, 12:01 AM
henry, this really is well produced music. simple, but well produced. rob hood made me think like this for sure. every sound has it's place. i can imagine that when you make it, you need to know presicely where to put your eq for each individual sound. almost like a band on stage - you have to picture each individual instrument in each place. and i suppose that's why you see some very clever tricks in this stuff, that would never happen in loopy stuff. everything is soooooo much more positioned and so, as a producer, you have to make the individual elements sound really interesting to make your track roll....

as an afterthought check that vakant label.

any more ideas on getting a set together of this style?? anyone??

is there a forum for this style??

Tyrisia
12-01-2005, 12:24 AM
Love all (or most at least) of the soma stuff, deep an melodic, with a bit of musicality about it. Check out http://www.somarecords.com for a browse through their catalouge. Best release ever by them imho and one of me faves of all time, Retroflex - Moment Resistance offa the Spanning Time EP :cool: .

There's a forum on the Soma site, but more geared towards fans and club promoters, with no actual production section. Maybe a section on this site would work? I've been concentrating on makin this kinda music myself for a good few months now, and it's great fun to make!

Also check out Hystereo (melodic tech-housy/techno stuff) and the darker Vector Lovers stuff (Suicide Android's their best - twisted electro funk) in their back cat. Alot of their producers work with other labels, so it should be easy to track down more stuff in this vein. Tbh I don't buy records and haven't for years, but I'll have a look through the label's on my various Slam mix cd's and get back to ya'll.

Obdurate
12-01-2005, 12:54 AM
I sugest this site for anyone who loves techno

www.poundingtechno.com

sign up and u can find virtualy and set ever recorded at a gig well .. lets not over do it haha

278d7e64a374de26f==