PDA

View Full Version : Buying records...

Rizage
13-01-2005, 12:01 AM
It's such a toss up these days to decide what records I'm gonna buy. At one end of the spectrum, there are so many tracks that I've heard over the years that I'd love to spin, yet I have others saying, "man...why don't you play NEW records, if you don't play or buy new records, no one gets to hear the progression of techno as a whole when you play a gig".

So...since I'm not rich, it's a hit or miss thing for me. I listen to old sets all the time, and would love to own a bunch of those classic recs. that I missed out on...yet I want to be up to date and have the new records so I don't sound "played out".

With that said, when I make a new mix, it sucks to think that if I put a bunch of older records on the mix that other people have had for years...even though they're new purchases to me, snobs will look at the tracklisting, and say..."ha...been there".

Such is life.

Agent Orange NYC
13-01-2005, 05:25 PM
There seems to be a certain style of classics that are actually in style at a certain moments, ie: old skool acid like ppl were playing last Summer. Might have been classic tracks (again), but worked with alot of the the new acid records that were, and still are coming out.

davethedrummer
13-01-2005, 05:41 PM
well it's just one of those things
if you missed classic record the first time round then ....well you missed them.
they may sound fresh and exciting to you but if you have a dancefloor full of people who have already heard it you just won't get the reaction you want / think you should.
there's nothing wrong with playing the odd oldie but a few too many and it gets a bit obvious.
unless of course you are playing a " classic " set
personally i would try my best to stay in touch with recent techno as these are the records of the future .... you don't want to miss classic records for a second time around eh???
this time you gotta make up your own mind about them though
it's a challenge , but then you like techno so you must like a challenge.

koma
13-01-2005, 06:24 PM
afford yourself some classic from time to time..
then suprise the crowd - among bunch of new stuff spin some older track that will fit ;)

remember, there will always be kidz on the floor that arent so much in touch with latest music OR those who just start partying, so they dont know they missed - show them..

I started visiting parties in 94.. but I wouldnt mind if I'll hear few classics this weekend in club.. like old mills stuff..or something from clarke's archive one.. or inigo's the secondary.. or planetary assault system on peacefrog etc etc.. why? cause I'm going out to have fun, not only listening the new stuff..

and if you are making some promo mix, you can put also some older stuff, but keep it in just for a while, or play with it in some part of the mix..

so what if somebody comes with "been that before" attitude, does that makes him better in any way? I dont think so..

at the end of the day, its your call ;)

koma
13-01-2005, 07:10 PM
oh yes, there was an interview with Cari Lekebusch in Techno.HR, croatian magazine that doesnt exist anymore, where he said he doesnt play records older then 2-3 months, because there are so many of them getting released..

if I remember the comments correct, some people saw it as disrespect, but why? what would this scene look like if everyone would think the same, have the same concept, the same mixing technique etc.. ;)

Honeey
13-01-2005, 07:45 PM
but then you like techno so you must like a challenge.

Ba ha ha too true, but when you talk to a true diehard who knows what you’re trying to accomplish the appreciation factor is tremendous.

andy james
13-01-2005, 08:24 PM
oh yes, there was an interview with Cari Lekebusch in Techno.HR, croatian magazine that doesnt exist anymore, where he said he doesnt play records older then 2-3 months, because there are so many of them getting released..

if i were him too i probably wouldn't be playing a lot of older trax because i'm sure he has sooo many white labels that he can play mostly new stuff.

i can totally relate rizage, i hate having to choose between bills/groceries or buying new records. online browsing through new releases can sometimes be very disheartening :doh: ! i need to win the lottery :lol:

Traxx
13-01-2005, 08:50 PM
I was thinkin about this myself the other day. All ive been buying for ages now is old tunes.

steelgrooves
14-01-2005, 02:10 AM
What about here in the states? Only A couple handfuls of people here know the difference between new and old techno trax. I feel like if what you do with an old set of records is fresh then its all good but like Rizage said the snobs will be more critical.

Me personally, I buy new records nearly every week and order them from the UK shops.It costs me about 10$ every record,then about 25-35$ on top of that for shipping. I cant live w/o new trax. Ive recently come across a friend that has some classics (1 Example Cari Lekebucsh for those who Know) That I love but i cant justify paying what he wants for them. Id just rather save my cash for the newies.

In 2004 there were few producers (Skoog/Sneo/Dave the Drummer/Kanzyani/Hertz/Misjah/Preach) evertime they had a new realese I would be so excited to get that one realese that i would order 5 or 6 more just to fill out the order.

I am happy w/ every record ive purchased over the last year and feel the amount of money i spent was WORTH IT even though I dont have a consistent outlet to play em. :doh:

Keep em Comin!

ncw
14-01-2005, 02:17 AM
Kill yourself, and everyone.

Alan Oldham
14-01-2005, 09:01 AM
The obvious solution to this dilemma is: don't play to techno snobs

The Overfiend
14-01-2005, 09:38 AM
:roll:

koma
14-01-2005, 04:01 PM
rolling eyes or not, man's got a point there. why is something called classic? coz it never going to be old enough to be forgotten.
there are lots of new records that sound great, some will become hits, but being a hit doesnt mean it will be classic. hits are temporary, classics stay classics. time isnt criteria for judging music quality, it can just prove it.
so, if you missed some last year hit record that everyone played, no big deal. if you find 10 or more years old classic, think twice.

Agent Orange NYC
14-01-2005, 04:09 PM
For me techno = innovation, taking the old and mixing it with the new. Aways has to sound fresh. Definetly don't want to miss any new records that are making their way the the classics realm as we speak.

Alan Oldham
17-01-2005, 07:04 AM
rolling eyes or not, man's got a point there.

Thanks ;)

The Overfiend
17-01-2005, 07:20 AM
I would post my opinion on this but I don't wanna ruffle Al's feathers
Things might get sensitive. :lol:

killarava2day
17-01-2005, 08:38 AM
For me techno = innovation, taking the old and mixing it with the new. Aways has to sound fresh. Definetly don't want to miss any new records that are making their way the the classics realm as we speak.

How do you quantify a classic. If I thought like that I'd be broke and the misses would be very angry and annoying...something different from the norm :shock:

Mindful
18-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Pesonaly when I go record shopping I allways look in the racks and pick out whatever I fancy old or new.
Then my dealer throws all the good new stuff he thinks I would be into at me and I buy whatever sounds good.

Play/buy whatever pleases you the most forget what any one else thinks your the DJ after all and its your money so I suggest buy good music that pleases you old or new. ;)

Agent Orange NYC
18-01-2005, 05:00 PM

How do you quantify a classic. If I thought like that I'd be broke and the misses would be very angry and annoying...something different from the norm :shock:

There are some things that you just know. ;)

Mindful
18-01-2005, 06:18 PM

There are some things that you just know. ;)

Definatly!! you just know when somthings special or got that certain somthing about it dont you.

278d7e64a374de26f==