PDA

View Full Version : How U'd ya go about solving an Anti-Phase Prob!

DJZeMig_L
16-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Here's the deal.. I have an old recording were I did some trickery on a break after the track was finished.. It was ment for CD release on a complitation so I didn't remember 'till I got a call from the label U also wants 2 release it on Vinil!!!

At the cutting place they say they have spotted a anti-phase prob...
I have been thinking that maybe the guy said it was a phase inversion prob or something and the guy from the label got he's infos crossed (he's not a technician or musician so..)

now I remeber using a wide phaser after killing all the bass... what I not so sure is use a stereo spread at a very wide setting... (which I have half a mind I haven't)..

If I play the break and do a mono summ I get very little sound... but at the same time this should constitute much of a prob . as I know the break as almost all bass cut from it!

At the moment I have used a sort of work'a'round which is copy the left side of the wave.. overwrite the right side.. this seems 2 do it.. or at least <i don't have any phasing probs... even if I play a mono sum.. the stereo doesn't look 2 wide aswell...

SO If any1s got any other answers jus lemme know please!

pedrod
16-01-2005, 09:57 PM
If I read your problem right

Check your Phase with Waves Paz Analyzer and correct it with S1 Imager (also by waves)..

If I read it wrong its because I just rolled one

MARKEG
16-01-2005, 10:09 PM
i'm try to understand what you're meaning- launguage probs hahaha - BUT I think I had a similar prob with a track we did for Chris McCormack. he phoned me and said that it felt like he was underwater. we discovered a faulty wire which was making everything go out of phase. basically this is how we got out of it, look at your waveform in sforge and move eithe the right or left channel back or forward by the amount of the phase. i actually remember there might be a quicker way via something in one of the drop down menus. but if you've made something go out of phase via a plugin, which i think i'm readin you have, then zoom in on that and apply the same principles.

really hope this works.

DJZeMig_L
17-01-2005, 01:39 AM
Nah it's a plug for sure.. I did most of the stuff on my old trusted fruity.. also most of me samples are in mono..

I Know I had a phase prob. cause Wavelab allows ya 2 play a mono sum so I'd get basically no sound.. hence I could tell I had a phase prob. But the term Anti_phase put me off realy 'cause 2 me anti-fase is the oposite, meaning u'd have a stereo way 2 wide...

Like I say I just copied the left for the right side of the wave (it's a small break anyways).. it's almost at the beguining so the track only as drums, so u don't really notice the shrinking back 2 mono and then back 2 stereo after the break ...

Still thankz for comments.. I just wanted 2 find out if any1 had any solutions or ideias 2 share! :)

Z

Ritzi Lee
17-01-2005, 08:24 AM
Can't you just spot the freq area where this negative phase is going on?
You can just correct it with Izotope Ozone DX plug. Over there you have the stereo image section, where you can catch the freq band where there is a negative phase.

Good luck. :)

Ritzi Lee
17-01-2005, 08:26 AM
The advantage is that you still have your stereo image in stead of making the whole thing mono.

Basil Rush
17-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Put it in mono, find the frequency where you filtered the bass before, make a note, use Waves Q10 to do a really really really sharp filter at this freqency, make two new files from the original stereo, one with the bass, one with the tops. Invert the phase on one of the channels of the top, mix the bass back in.

Use the cross-over presets on Q10 to start you off on the filter, select all the frequency ranges with the mouse (drag a box over them) to adjust the cut freqency.

Might reverse most of the damage, hopefully without adding too many artifacts.

Now to get a bit of width back you could use a touch (only 1.1/1.2) of Waves S1 imager before you merge the bass back in.

DJZeMigL
17-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Nice 1 m8s.. but it's kinda off an extensive phase out... not just ale of freq. I went with the first solution.. mono! lol...

the effect was quite funky on a CD but It's just one of those things U'll b laughting by yerself cause no1else will care or know what Yer on about!!.. lol

thanks Again,

Z

networkacid
29-01-2005, 06:30 PM
The first thing I would do is ask to speak directly to the cutting engineer. Sounds like you've got some chinese whispers going on and maybe it's something else entirely! find out exactly what the issue is first, you may save yourself lots of time and effort ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==