PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Absolute 2s - Lack Of Bass ?

slavestudios
17-01-2005, 10:45 AM
a few ppl have told me 2s have no bass.

recently, more & more ppl have been pointing to the 'muddyness' of bass in my trax...

would this be due to over pushing the bass cos the 2s aint so good with lower freq ? like over compensating ?

loopdon
17-01-2005, 10:50 AM
could have something to do with yer room acoustics as well.

eyes without a face
17-01-2005, 11:11 AM
the absolute 2's are fine as far as im aware, i know people who use em and release regulary, i think its probably an error in production somewhere unfortunatley?

im sure there are other absolute 2 users on here that can give more help?

slavestudios
17-01-2005, 02:07 PM
ive also been told they arent too hot if left with a lot of space between the back of the monitor & a solid wall. hence the front ports..

anyways, if anyone can help, i'll be glad to hear.

dirty_bass
17-01-2005, 02:47 PM
I`ve found mine to be as clear as **** in the bass. I got them becasue they became the standard in studios (that I was working in at the time) to replace NS10`s
And I don`t think anyone will argue that I get my bass pretty good (if I do anything that`s right).
The problem is more likely to be your set up and placement.
And maybe your ears.
With absolute 2`s the clarity in the bass is what appealed to me. But basically what it means is the bass never booms.
If you can hear the bass clearly on them, in comparison to everything else in your track, then it means it fine.
If you make the bass really boomy on your 2`s then you have gone waaaaaay to far.

The muddiness you are encountering is probably more to do with EQ and how you are separating your sounds.

slavestudios
17-01-2005, 02:53 PM
see, those nu trax i been puttin up have been done solely in Reason.

and i been experimenting with compression & eq settings..

but, given what you say about the 'boom' this could be the problem.

i'll stick to me (boring) loop structure but try backin of the bass.

and is it just me or is 2 band eq in reason not enuff ?

Dirty, could i send ya a few links later after i re-do those trax ? i'll snip em into 3 min edits jus to see if you reckon i'm goin the right way

dirty_bass
17-01-2005, 03:03 PM
ok mate.

RDR
17-01-2005, 03:59 PM

just chain the parametric eqs or parallel em with the spider...

slavestudios
17-01-2005, 06:04 PM

just chain the parametric eqs or parallel em with the spider...

def a solution but makes for a mess of leads round the back.

a 4 way parametric is not THAT much to ask is it ? :lol:

po
08-02-2005, 08:49 AM
Absolute 2's are incredible monitors. I sold my mackie 824's (terrible in my opinion) to buy some ..and yes, it was nice to have £900 back in my pocket. Regarding the bass... with the 2's, if you can hear the bass (the low end, say below 100hz) and its boomey/you can 'hear' it, you have too much. I find on these monitors that if you can 'feel' the low bass is there, but not in effect hear it, the bass is spot on. Obviously you will also need an upper bass layered to hear the bass, but, on the 2's ,this should be in the range where you can hear it all lovely anyway.
Brilliant speakers.
all the best

po (a.k.a Jon F-Bush records, a.k.a Pollen (Zet- Integrale musique when they were around)
;)

mrbenn
08-02-2005, 11:19 AM
perpetual wrote:

You can use the vocoder as a multiband EQ

romelpotter
08-02-2005, 01:35 PM
refrence your mix's with cd's that you know and have listened to for a long time. when mixing the best thing you can do it to keep refering back to a standard, tyr and pick your fav cd and play it in all mannor of systems, then you have a guide and can make ofter seemingly minor adjustments whic make a lot of difference.

Scott Kemix
08-02-2005, 07:19 PM
I had exactly the same problem with my spirit ab's'2 , it is quite obvious that the bass region seems coloured in some way. I asked quite a few producers in the scene about these and they agreed. I got myself a pair of Fostex pm1's to use as my nearfields to monitor on and am well happy with these, best ive heard up till now. Use my spirit a2's with my decks and they work a treat. ;)

dirty_bass
08-02-2005, 07:28 PM
As I said. Never had any problems.
But I was taught how to use nearfields in a proper studio with NS10`s, and Absolute 2`s became the replacement for them in many studios.
Simple, if you can hear the bass, then it`s fine. If the bass is in your face and booming then it will be in your face and booming on a big rig, and therefore too much.

As with any monitors, you will never learn to use em properly unless you reference a lot of stuff through them to get an idea how they are.
All monitors colour the sound in some way.

Scott Kemix
08-02-2005, 07:33 PM
;)

278d7e64a374de26f==