PDA

View Full Version : understanding lingo

Craig McW
18-01-2005, 01:07 AM
I struggle with it. I do everything by ear, and know next to nothing of the technical jargon associated with electronic music.

Perfect example is the compression thread, I read it in the hope of understanding further how to compress correctly, but instead came out confused because it was like reading chinese. I understand compression to a degree anyway and know what to listen for, but would like to have some in depth knowledge so to speak.

So, is there, anywhere, some sort of comprehensive guie to understanding technical lingo in association to electronic music production?

Thankyou in advance for any help :)

Barely Human
18-01-2005, 02:30 AM
It all is a new language mate, and you just have to learn it. You pick up what they all are in the end. Sometimes things can be a bit of a blag when they are written in short, like VCO(Voltage Controlled Oscilator), for example. I havent got a clue wether there is a manual for em, because to explain their meanings, you'll have to explain whole techniques in a lot instances..

Barely Human
18-01-2005, 02:37 AM
This might be of some use to you mate -

http://www.soundonsound.com/information/Glossary.php?session=f06bfb5fa5cf364f025fb27edb4d5 3b1

Craig McW
18-01-2005, 03:02 AM
IQ, I owe you one. That is exactly what I'm after!!!!! :clap:

fatcollective
20-01-2005, 11:26 AM
I struggle with it. I do everything by ear, and know next to nothing of the technical jargon associated with electronic music.

Perfect example is the compression thread, I read it in the hope of understanding further how to compress correctly, but instead came out confused because it was like reading chinese. I understand compression to a degree anyway and know what to listen for, but would like to have some in depth knowledge so to speak.

So, is there, anywhere, some sort of comprehensive guie to understanding technical lingo in association to electronic music production?

totally understand what your saying here, im shit when it comes to all the jargon, because i have taught myself how to produce so most of the time is down to what my ear hear.

fatcollective
20-01-2005, 11:28 AM
This might be of some use to you mate -

http://www.soundonsound.com/information/Glossary.php?session=f06bfb5fa5cf364f025fb27edb4d5 3b1

this is brilliant, very useful indeed...i'll be a technical swot before i know it ;)

Komplex
20-01-2005, 12:13 PM

totally understand what your saying here, im shit when it comes to all the jargon, because i have taught myself how to produce so most of the time is down to what my ear hear.

I hear ya. But when the time comes when you need to communicate technically with other people you need to learn the stuff.

Ask anything in this thread and we'll answer it and if you need more explanation than simple descriptions of abbreviations just say so. Altho a lot of the time its good to have audio as examples of stuff so you can hear it instantly...

MangaFish
20-01-2005, 09:36 PM
same boat as

cheers for the link dude

278d7e64a374de26f==