PDA

View Full Version : Chris Liebing goes heavy metal?

steelgrooves
18-01-2005, 03:31 AM
Anybody else read this? I got it from trust the DJ..Im kinda anxious to see what he does with this concept.

German Techno God Goes Very Metal
11/01/2005

Rising techno star Chris Liebing chatted to Skrufff this week and revealed that he’s actively looking into introducing heavy rock elements into his high energy style of funky techno.

“What I’ve been trying lately is to steal a few of those heavy metal sounds and incorporate them into my tracks,” said Chris. “It’s really interesting to place these two worlds together. The borders between music are vanishing which is great, otherwise where does it go? Music has always been influenced by other genres and that’s what’s happening now,” he suggested.

“I used to listen to hard rock and heavy metal when I was really young and I believe the energy of the music is often similar to techno, even if the bpms are different,” Chris continued.

“If you listen to a tough Metallica track there’s a hard hitting energy about it which you can also find in a really cool techno track. I wouldn’t say it’s the same kind of music but there’s somehow the same sort of energy flow going on and you can connect some of these things.

The Frankfurt based producer, who was DJ magazine’s highest climber in their latest Top 100 DJ Poll, also revealed he’s a huge fan of Limp Bizkit as well as Scottish art-rockers Franz Ferdinand.

“I bought the Franz Ferdinand album a few weeks ago, and I’ve already one track from the album which started me thinking 'hmmm, that could be useful for a bootleg version',” he revealed.

“It’s all about the energy. These bands work with guitars, drums and bass and as an electronic artist you can add something with that; a hell of a lot, actually,” said Chris.

http://www.cl-rec.com/new

Jonty Skrufff

The Overfiend
18-01-2005, 04:16 AM
It's been done before.
Ask any metal head here.
Wasn't that what Chris McCormack did with Sigue Sigue Sputnik?
And he murdered that shit.
Tough act to follow in my opinion, even if it is Liebing

g
18-01-2005, 04:25 AM
yeah, but who will be liebing's metal producer?

steelgrooves
18-01-2005, 04:30 AM

I dont know if he ll have a metal producer, maybe just put some metal elements he makes himself.?

Any how guess we ll see.

slavestudios
18-01-2005, 04:34 AM
NIN remixes.. and Helmet..

theres so much to be had.. i think hes bang on.

C McCormack has done the guitar thing twice (both ver similair imo) with Erase Techno being the finest 12ss of his ive heard..

dirty_bass
18-01-2005, 06:17 AM
Nah, this`ll be poop
It`s very hard to get HM Guitar into a techno beat, cos it takes up loads of room.
And besides, no one will beat Cubanate for techno/metal crossover, and they murdered that shit way back in the mid to late 90`s

This reeks to me of "ah, the kids are into metal these days, I`ll make metal"

He`ll go the way of oakenfold.

The Overfiend
18-01-2005, 06:37 AM
http://www.411hype.com/forums/image.php?u=36&dateline=1105345027
:clap:

Sunil
18-01-2005, 11:40 AM
This reeks to me of "ah, the kids are into metal these days, I`ll make metal"

He`ll go the way of oakenfold.

Yep.

He says all the right things and namechecks all the right people.

DJ Mag Top 10 here we come :love: :clap:

massplanck
18-01-2005, 12:34 PM
a guitar and a drum kit are just another couple of musical instruments. Just because someone used them in a techno song once before doesnt mean that you can run around saying ' hey! its been done before' and snigger behind his back. If thats the case we should be taking the same stance with the 909 drumkit or ****ing tish tish tish tish ride cymbol patterns.

He's might be taking out his arse but who cares ... go listen to cubanate and ministry and get over your selves. ;)

massplanck
18-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Im kinda anxious to see what he does with this concept.

Its not a concept.

slimboy
18-01-2005, 01:02 PM
I can't see it working really. Maybe some very subtle samples of metal elements cleverly manipulated could work but just sticking metal guitar or vocals over techno sounds tacky in my opinion.

I quite liked Erase Techno but after a while it just sounded like a novelty record.

Patrick DSP
18-01-2005, 01:40 PM
psy-trance/goa has been doing this for years now

anyone remember ragga-death with mc lite combining metal and ragga. dear loard not again. :P

well what ever it sounds like, it's got us talking about it

Adverse
18-01-2005, 03:25 PM
http://www.411hype.com/forums/image.php?u=36&dateline=1105345027
:clap:

HAHAHAHAHAHA PRICELESS.

koma
18-01-2005, 06:55 PM
wow, somebody discovered metal haha..
ok, the truth is, liebing never said he'll be the first to do it..!

its been done like zillion times in hardcore, goa also uses guitar riffs.. lenny dee said about 10 years ago, when asked why is he involved in so many styles and also looks like metal fan "to me, its all rock and roll, I make no difference whatsoever"

why techno should be limited..? no guitar, no vocals, no this, no that.. maybe he'll do it well and we'll all be suprised.. if not, slaughter can start then.. :lol: so lets wait a bit..

I remember Berzerker.. guy coming from australian speed metal band, who switched to hardcore techno,combining these two together.. damn, this dude sets were great.. later on, during stagnation on hardcore scene, I think he got bored and returned to metal again, still playing around Europe on alternative festivals with a band..

btw those traxx of mccormack :love:

The Overfiend
18-01-2005, 07:09 PM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/041231/041231_youfires_vlrg.vlarge.jpg

Bottom line is to me he should not try to champion a sound he did not invent.
Especially when McCormack, Cubanate, Berzerker, Nin all have been doing this for years.
At lease collab with one of them but don't say I'm going to yada yada. C'mon. Like me sampling Hip Hop then saying I was the first n*gga to do it. It's fronting on the supreme level.

koma
18-01-2005, 07:24 PM
At lease collab with one of them but don't say I'm going to yada yada. C'mon. Like me sampling Hip Hop then saying I was the first n*gga to do it. It's fronting on the supreme level.

well, he said he has idea for bootleg, it means original author will still be credited..

btw hip hop? oh yes, 50 Cent's voice over Benny Benassi or NIN sounds pretty good actually.. wonder if Liebing heard for him, they might try something together.. can't understand Fitty's vocal, so mashing with some schranz track wouldnt hurt it anyway :roll: :lol:

massplanck
18-01-2005, 07:34 PM
Bottom line is to me he should not try to champion a sound he did not invent.
Especially when McCormack, Cubanate, Berzerker, Nin all have been doing this for years.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

steelgrooves
18-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Im kinda anxious to see what he does with this concept.

Its not a concept.

sorry, Im kinda anxious to hear what he does with this idea.

steelgrooves
18-01-2005, 08:04 PM
Ill wait to hear what he does before having an opinion on it. Done before or not if he works right then more power to him.

The Overfiend
18-01-2005, 08:31 PM

well, he said he has idea for bootleg, it means original author will still be credited..

btw hip hop? oh yes, 50 Cent's voice over Benny Benassi or NIN sounds pretty good actually.. wonder if Liebing heard for him, they might try something together.. can't understand Fitty's vocal, so mashing with some schranz track wouldnt hurt it anyway :roll: :lol:

First of all before you start making an ass of yourself, I said it would be like, not implying this is what I do, because it most certainly is not, I am making a point that it has been done before. So before you start cackling trying to make an example of someones opinion think about what you type and maintain your own dignity, son.

schlongfingers
18-01-2005, 08:46 PM
Who gives a shit, he's hardly claiming to be doing anything new is he? Get your knickers untwisted.

conflict
18-01-2005, 09:06 PM
well i'd quite like to hear more of this style even if it has been done before.I cant really fault someone for changing his direction,or trying something new to him.

i'll be watching the proverbial space

koma
18-01-2005, 09:18 PM
First of all before you start making an ass of yourself, I said it would be like, not implying this is what I do, because it most certainly is not, I am making a point that it has been done before. So before you start cackling trying to make an example of someones opinion think about what you type and maintain your own dignity, son.

erm, u missed the point of my post.. son. bootlegs which I mentioned really exist, I can post links if u'd like to hear them, and yes, it would be, if nothing else, funny to hear some techno with hip hop vocals.(maybe even real collabo, not just a mash up)
but I never wrote you will do it :eh: where did you see it?

g
18-01-2005, 09:55 PM

I dont know if he ll have a metal producer, maybe just put some metal elements he makes himself.?

Any how guess we ll see.
yeh, um, pretty sure you missed what i was saying ;)

The Overfiend
18-01-2005, 09:58 PM

Any how guess we ll see.

Lol. Some of us didn't.

steelgrooves
18-01-2005, 11:17 PM

Any how guess we ll see.

LoL Yeah Im a Dumb ass but see what you meant now :oops:

dirty_bass
18-01-2005, 11:55 PM
Let`s just have a fight. :twisted:

Evil G
19-01-2005, 12:09 AM
i think it would be hilarious if mosh pits started to emerge in the middle of dancefloors. i'd much rather see that than poi spinners, tbh. :crackup:

The Overfiend
19-01-2005, 12:23 AM
That would be interesting!

DJ Corbzy
19-01-2005, 12:47 AM
I liked Chris McCormack's 'Erase Techno', I remember hearing it first through Mark Hawkins (where is that guy? :neutral: ) last year and I really liked it, although like someone said it got a bit novelty after a while.

I'd be interested to see what comes of this...

djshiva
20-01-2005, 12:49 AM
all i can say is that if limp bizkit is the kinda stuff he's championing, i'll pass on the blatantly misogynistic crap rock/rap hybridism and just keep jacking minor threat and black flag riffs for my own tracks...

someone please remind liebing that fred durst is a choad, and that the choadness may be contagious...

;)

djshiva
20-01-2005, 12:50 AM
all i can say is that if limp bizkit is the kinda stuff he's championing, i'll pass on the blatantly misogynistic crap rock/rap hybridism and just keep jacking minor threat and black flag riffs for my own tracks...

someone please remind liebing that fred durst is a choad, and that the choadness may be contagious...

;)

p.s. i will also never leave the jacked riffs alone enough for you to recognize them...

i prefer the mangling approach myself...

Adverse
20-01-2005, 01:05 AM

First of all before you start making an ass of yourself.

ZING!

slavestudios
20-01-2005, 04:50 AM
so he wants to sample metal ? big deal :lol:

fair do's. i hope its good

and ive been playing Eminem & D12 accapellas ove Rush & Speedy J trax cos they are so slow. they sit on the half beat of techno 4/4

fairly perks up a dancefloor.. Cleaning Out My Closet over Krekc is lethal

:twisted:

even ive been samplin everything from L7 to NIN to PWEI to Helmet to Neds Atomic Dustbin..

nothin new but good when it works ;)

AcidTrash
20-01-2005, 07:51 AM

Any how guess we ll see.

I'd like to see Alex Calver remixing War ensemble by Slayer.

fatcollective
20-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Im Sure Darc Marc is already adding heavy metal/rock elemets into his music ? there is also a Bang On tune i bought recently which has pretty much got a Hevay Rock type groove goin on...interesting stuff, seems to work well with a heavey beat...might even have a go at this myself ;)

tocsin
20-01-2005, 01:09 PM
i think it would be hilarious if mosh pits started to emerge in the middle of dancefloors. i'd much rather see that than poi spinners, tbh. :crackup:

That used to be quite the norm out here in NYC for hardcore techno. But, it's not really the same anymore. Oh well.

tocsin
20-01-2005, 01:12 PM
BTW, sinec he is talking about "stealing" and uses "Metallica" as his great example, I'd tell him to peep some of the videos here -> http://www.youhavebadtasteinmusic.com

koma
20-01-2005, 02:34 PM
nice one hehe

btw deadnoise played punk record in the middle of hardcore party in ljubljana almost 2 years ago and people are still talking about it..
I guess its because you wont see something like that on a techno night..

MangaFish
20-01-2005, 08:31 PM

;)

i didnt think limp biskit were classed as metal? i always thought of them as being indie type stuff.

slavestudios
21-01-2005, 01:49 AM
ive finished techno sets with Nirvanas 'Negative Creep' & Electric Six 'Gay Bar' in the past..

better than Rocker any day :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==