PDA

View Full Version : Seeking weird MIDI conversion trick

rounser
18-01-2005, 01:08 PM
One day one of my MIDI controllers (an Evolution MK-249C) started bugging out on me, sending lots and lots of MIDI note on messages with a twist of a pot. When hooked up to synth patches the result was insane ripping, tearing staccato sounds and rhythmic FX that you could speed up or slow down by turning more quickly or slowly. A mate and I spent an entertaining afternoon tweaking out in this way, getting some lovely unique results, and sampled the lot.

Two problems...I can't find the CD I burned it all to :doh: , and I want the MK249C to start bugging out again, but it won't. :neutral: The next best thing I can think of is whether anyone knows of a software MIDI utility that will convert MIDI CC change messages into MIDI note ons? Obscure, I know...but hopefully one of you might know of something regardless? :)

Basil Rush
18-01-2005, 05:08 PM
MaxMSP will do that easily.

AcidMutant
18-01-2005, 06:44 PM
Midi Note On is a Control change like any other (except that synths/sequencers expect a note off afterwards)

I believe the controller number is 9 (I think) if you can set that up on your controller surface. I think 8 is note off but don't quote me on these!

:lol:

Basil Rush
18-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Midi Note On is a Control change like any other (except that synths/sequencers expect a note off afterwards)

I believe the controller number is 9 (I think) if you can set that up on your controller surface. I think 8 is note off but don't quote me on these!

:lol:

Don't think that's quite true all controller messages start 0xB0-0xBF and note messages start 0x90 to 0x9F, that's where the 9 comes from but it's not a controller number.

rounser
19-01-2005, 08:18 AM
Cheers guys. I gather that MAX/MSP is either mac-only or costs a pretty penny (I can't remember which one stopped me from looking into it further), but synthedit is in the same ballpark, and well capable of munging low level midi, and didn't think of using that. In fact, could turn it into a VST plugin...

danielmarshall
03-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Hahaha. I had a similar expereince playing Quake 2 and having my graphics card overheat... Talk about psycadelic madness!

278d7e64a374de26f==