PDA

View Full Version : bass drum distorting on home stereo when listening to my mix

Tyrisia
18-01-2005, 07:36 PM
If anyone could help me with this - I'm referencing my new tune on my home stereo, and the bass drum is distorting on one channel (side) only when listening to the full mix or solo'd. I've turned off all plugins to no avail, the channel the bass drum is on in Cubase is mono, and I'm running Basslane over the mix, set at 400 hz. I know it ain't the speakers as material from other artists sounds fine.

Don't know much about the phase of waveforms, but could this be a phase problem? Either way if anyone has any ideas about how to correct this I would be eternaly grateful.

Cheers.

loopdon
18-01-2005, 08:13 PM
maybe a compressor related problem/limiter...

but you said you'd switched off all plugs, so?

Mindful
18-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Does it sound fine on your moniters?

Evil G
18-01-2005, 08:39 PM
are you running leads to your stereo from your rig, or did you burn a cd?

Tyrisia
18-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Yep - it sounds fine on me monitors, and yep - I'm running leads straight outa the mixer to the external in of the stereo. I know that the input to the stereo is of an ok level as I've got a seperate soundcard running my cd player through realplayer into the mixer on a seperate channel, and that reads the same output level as my stuff offa the other soundcard, and sounds fine. It seems to be a sub problem from what I can gather, and completely goes away if I cut all below about 83hz - not much use tho as this sounds way too weak on me monitors and the home stereo :cry: .

There is some fairly heavy limiting goin on in the C4 that runs over the bass drum, that could be a problem, and backing off the threshold of the lowest band does help, but then I turn the stereo up one notch and I get the distortion back again.

I ran PAZ analyser over the whole mix and I've got a slight peak at 60 hz, but nothing drastic, and I ran another tune i've been doin through the same setup and that sounds fine at the same volume on the stereo but does distort slightly when turned up a bit higher.

I'm stumped.

Evil G
19-01-2005, 12:03 AM
you could try panning the channels the opposite direction to see if the distortion moves to the other speaker or not. that would at least narrow it down to being something between your mixer and amp, or something between the amp and speakers.

Tyrisia
19-01-2005, 01:08 AM
good idea mate, I'll try that, although I'm startin to think it might be the speaker after all :cry:

thanks for the help!

278d7e64a374de26f==