PDA

View Full Version : Cut Below 60hz

slavestudios
24-01-2005, 01:26 PM
i recently read in an article that dance music (be it house, rap or dnb) should have everything cut below 60hz if it is made with vinyl pressing in mind.

is there any truth in this ? and if there is, is it worth while re-mixing down old tracks ?

Milesy
24-01-2005, 02:12 PM
well who ever masters your record will take care of the final touches
for cutting it to vinyl.

slavestudios
24-01-2005, 03:19 PM
see, i assumed there was limiting/compression/maximising etc etc done at cutting plants, but this article recomended cutting before it even gets mailed out as a demo.

RDR
24-01-2005, 03:24 PM
i agree with milesy

let the mastering house do it. They know their shit 110%.

Milesy
24-01-2005, 03:49 PM
i agree with milesy

let the mastering house do it. They know their shit 110%.

yes there is various compression etc done at the mastering plant.
they need to apply whats called the RIAA curve to the audio
which is various eq and compression algorithms which make
the audio suitable for pressing to vinyl. and then the the opposite
is done by your phono preamp (which is built into the mixer) to
return the audio to the previous state. thats why mastering
engineers require the audio be in a certain state before they
work on it themselves. if theres any big problems they will
probably come back to you themselves.

AcidMutant
24-01-2005, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure about the 60Hz thing, but if you have lots of signals below that then they will affect things like compression, etc. that you apply to your mix but may not be apparently obvious if your speakers can't output tones that low.

I'm fairly sure I have bought tracks with bass extension below that. In theory analogue synths and analogue recording (i.e. records) can produce a bass tone much lower than this (say 0.1Hz) the problems come with the fact that to record that kind of frequency your going to make some massive grooves in the record - extra thick vinyl anyone?

My MC202 can make my speakers wobble with such bass frequencies that I can't hear it but can 'see it' - i.e. watching the cones move in and out slowly.

20Hz is specified as the lowest tone digital encoding can re-produce (although I'm sure this is related to frequency domain, I can't see why time domain "sampling" couldn't do it). Your ears aren't going to pick up anything below that as it's also the supposed lower limit of human hearing, although your body might - i.e. you'll 'feel' it.

slavestudios
24-01-2005, 08:57 PM
k

i realise the engineers in the plant do the clever shit at the end of the line before the cut, but will it help if i cut stuff below 60hz ?

i'm havin trouble with bass. or my ears are fekkin shot..

loopdon
24-01-2005, 09:11 PM
as others have advised rather use a lowshelf and start rolling things off
at maybe 50, 40, or about 30 hz.

i tend to rolloff starting at 40 or hipass @ 32 in waves linband lowshelf eq thingy.

60 is a little to far i'd say (yet i believe i heard someone saying the advent sounded like he was doing so in more recent tracks), remember what u cut, can't be brought back that easily, if you only lowshelf things at say 30/or 40 i think you're pretty safe. and the engineer can bring it up, if he feels the need.

hope dat helped

loopdon
24-01-2005, 09:20 PM
k

i realise the engineers in the plant do the clever shit at the end of the line before the cut, but will it help if i cut stuff below 60hz ?

i'm havin trouble with bass. or my ears are fekkin shot..

or maybe your room accoustics, or you listen for to long periods. try and compare prof. mastered tech/electronic stuff u like preferably from cds (no mp3) to your stuff nad see where the differences lie. make use of programs to put eq-curves created from prof. mastered stuff over your stuff, u'll most likely see some points.

examples for progs like this would be:

- voxengo's curveeq
- elemental audio's firium
- steinbergs freefilter

another tip would be to cut the bass from anything that doesn't need or should'nt have to much bass in it, such as hihats, claps and whatever.

cut the lows from high sounds and vice versa very generally speaking.

try voxengo's soniformer to balance your mixes, maybe,
but i'd really recommend looking at professionaly mastered stuff using the programs listed or just an fft / spectrum analysis program/ plugin.

maybe that helps u a little ;)

Ritzi Lee
24-01-2005, 10:45 PM
definitely not 60Hz!
That is where all the sub dynamics is.
Everythimg below the 20Hz is a different story.
Cutting below 20Hz will result in increasing headroom.

slavestudios
24-01-2005, 11:06 PM
brilliant. cheers ppl

many many thanx to all :clap:

278d7e64a374de26f==