PDA

View Full Version : Hell before Mills???

OriginalTechnobastard
24-01-2005, 03:44 PM
I was in the record shop the other day, and there was this Dj Hell album from 1984(about 4 or 5 years before Mills), and it didn't sound dated at all. It was more of electro and techno kind of tunes he has done with Richard Bartz and others. I knew he has been about, but that album was pretty futuristic considering it was released 84, and it has been 21 years since it. Crazy. I think its called Geitzwartz and Geitwartz. To the next topic we go

davethedrummer
24-01-2005, 04:04 PM
yes! i have that on white vinyl
somewhere in the depths of the collection
i'm gonna dig that out later and check it out.
i remember it being brilliant
and the artwork for the c.d. was hilarious

disko b records from belgium , they put out some great stuff at the time
including hell and acid scout too.
really dark moody electro / techno

ahead of the game?

davethedrummer
24-01-2005, 04:29 PM
ok after frantic searching i've found it
it's 1994 ( not 84 , so mills DID get there first )

and it's called geteert and gefedert

it's on disko b
and it feature collabs by hell and:
patrick pulsinger / mijk van dijk / richard bartz ( acid scout)
and electric indigo

my favorite is the version of "hot on the heels of love" by throbbong gristle which is just a storming 4x4 electro work out , there is also a totally minmal remix of my definition of house by northstar

brilliant , edgy electronica from back in the day
proof that hell is a true master of that style

top shelf electro gear !

FIK
24-01-2005, 08:20 PM
[quote="davethedrummer"]

disko b records from belgium

Are u sure ? That's the first I've heard about it, and I live there. I'm pretty sure it's german.

davethedrummer
24-01-2005, 09:16 PM
[quote=davethedrummer]

disko b records from belgium

Are u sure ? That's the first I've heard about it, and I live there. I'm pretty sure it's german.

well i always thought they were from belgium........... :eh:

webassassin
24-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Hell surely can hold his own...but Hell before Mills? Nah. :dontevengothere: ;)

koma
24-01-2005, 10:34 PM

its german label ;)
Disco Bombs was label established initially as a dance counterpart to the punk label run by Optikal Records in Munich,the shop where Hell bought lots of his punk singles in 70tees.

later when Hellmut had shortened his name to Hell, Disco Bombs became Disco B

davethedrummer
24-01-2005, 11:42 PM

its german label ;)
Disco Bombs was label established initially as a dance counterpart to the punk label run by Optikal Records in Munich,the shop where Hell bought lots of his punk singles in 70tees.

later when Hellmut had shortened his name to Hell, Disco Bombs became Disco B

you are dead right
i should have read the label really , don't know why i thought it was belgium all this time ( 10 years :oops: ) haha.
anyway they were based in munchen and last time i looked that was in germany.
it was a divison of sub up records
anyone got any more of their stuff??
i have a double pack somewhere which i'l dig out tomorrow of fast minimal techno , and an acid scout e.p. somwhere too.
what else did they release?

herman
25-01-2005, 12:45 AM
what else did they release?

loads (http://www.discogs.com/label/Disko+B)

lots of really good stuff in there back cat highly recomend

patrik pulsinger - dogmatic sequences

robert gorl - sexdrops

jay denham - escape to the black planet

but there's a bunch of gems in there

FIK
25-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Jeff Mills/Dave Clarke- hot in the heels of love/allerseelen (dj hell rmxs)
One of their better releases in my opinion

davethedrummer
25-01-2005, 11:40 AM
oh my god!
i never realised how many releases there were !
i used to buy this at my local record store , when those kinds of places used to exist , and they never had a turntable so i just bought things that i was interested by ( i still do today)
i got some real gems that way.

i must look around for the dj good groove stuff.
he did that pulse album on harthouse , which is one of my all time favorites

OriginalTechnobastard
26-01-2005, 02:16 PM
What I was saying was Hell there before Mills in techno scene. Anyhow when did he come about? And that album was it in 94 or 84? I thought '94 too so it must of been an error on part of the shop. And when did hit the electronic scene exactly?

FIK
26-01-2005, 09:51 PM
I think the man is 44 years old. Gives him a few years ahead of Mills I reckon

koma
27-01-2005, 02:51 PM
What I was saying was Hell there before Mills in techno scene. Anyhow when did he come about? And that album was it in 94 or 84? I thought '94 too so it must of been an error on part of the shop. And when did hit the electronic scene exactly?

Helmut Geier grew up as a fan of punk, later on became hip hop dj/party promoter in Munich, and having access to import stores he got into techno and house when early releases arrived..
Of course all this had influence on his sets, which were noticed by some people and Hell was invited to Love Parade in Berlin in 92.. he completed that set with one-sided white label, which was actually his own track “My definition of house”.. belgian R&S label boss Renaat Vandepapeliere (you will see that name in biographies of many producers from that time, thanx to her many tracks today considered to be classics were released) offered him record deal on the spot..

What else huh.. besides already mentioned Geteert & Gefedert (1994), check his X-Mix: Wildstyle from 1995.. in 1997 or 98 he released another album, Munich Machine..
+check Bartz’s label Kurbel for more of his work (some together with Richard)

not forgetting Hell’s own International Deejay Gigolos, with Arnold Schwarzeneger in his early days as logo.. there was an interview with Hell some years back in an austrian magazine (cant really recall name now, I picked it up in some shop in Wienna), where they asked him “why Arnold”..and he said like “Arnold is the boss, I’m just following his commands” :lol:

don’t know the exact time when he entered this scene, you will have to check some biography of him, but I guess its somewhere 90-91..
now, when mentioned Bartz (I just love his work as Acid Scout), he approached Disco B with his work in 92, so yeah, Hell had to hit scene prior to 92 hmmm..

and Mills together with friend released that The Final Cut in '89 (quite inspiring record for later hardcore producers).. cant really tell who was the first..

ds2
27-01-2005, 07:29 PM
fckin great label in it's day.

this one's a monster...
http://www.discogs.com/release/61475

denham lps, i-f, bartz/acid scout and all hell's early stuff are essential.

not keen on the label's newer output though, substandard electro-gash.

278d7e64a374de26f==