PDA

View Full Version : Hardhouse dj,s in techno!

Dirtyacid
24-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Now im all for a bit of change but its worrying that Hardhouse dj,s are trying to cross over in to techno.I think the only dj to successfully do this is Andy Farley who has been playing a more tekky feel to his sets for age,s and as his recent work shows with blue cubed & D.a.v.e The Drummer that he has sucedded & for that i take my hat of to him but I feel that others have tried & it sound,s turd paul glazby,s recent voice,s was,nt to bad & acid disco was ok. I used to like Hardhouse once upon a time but it,s just the same now as it was 2 year ago saw if it can,t evolve why can,t it just die same too with that scouse house crap chipmunks on speed. Techno is always been ahead of its time it evolves each year but so many genres stay the same i cannot understand why??? :doh:

Stuart
24-01-2005, 05:25 PM
I have a lot of respect to Andy farley for what he has done. But its annoying that hard house crowds are going mad to pure techno when its played to them thinking its just techy hard house. You tell one of them its techno and they don't believe you.

I do think that if Dj's are playing it, it should be billed on the flyer so the crowd learns to appeciate it for what it truly is.

I'm not into this cross over stuff at all. Why write techno with the hard house structure?

Bacchus
24-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Sounds like a load of crap to me :\

If the crowd likes it when the DJ plays it, why does it matter what the crowd thinks it's called? You cant always expect the crowd to always to be a music geek and know the definitions to every genre and sub-genre.

I hardly see a problem with more people hearing techno.

Stuart
24-01-2005, 05:37 PM
I think its great that more people are getting to hear it. I think you miss understood what I said.

davethedrummer
24-01-2005, 06:41 PM
I have a lot of respect to Andy farley for what he has done. But its annoying that hard house crowds are going mad to pure techno when its played to them thinking its just techy hard house. You tell one of them its techno and they don't believe you.

I do think that if Dj's are playing it, it should be billed on the flyer so the crowd learns to appeciate it for what it truly is.

I'm not into this cross over stuff at all. Why write techno with the hard house structure?

stuart this is not a direct dig at you
but i really needed to say this:

first:
the crowds aren't going mad to pure(er) techno , but they are slowly learning to dance to techno and appreciate it.

secondly
hard house djs are generally billed when they are playing techno and every so often they'll book a guy who only plays techno anyway so why the hell should they announce that?
ie: billy nasty at riot ( erm ......2 hour garage set???!!??)

thirdly techno and hard house have always had a very similar musical structure , especially the clubbier techno/acid techno/london techno , they just use different noises and concentrate on the groove rather than the breaks / breakdowns and they try to avoid using tired musical cliches.

cross over music has been going for years and years
there is nothing wrong with experimenting
many hard house guys are really into techno and not just bandwagon jumping , but they've finally seen an opportunity to play it alongside more hard housey stuff that they play. fair play to them i say.

i'm pretty sick of this kind of subject turning up in this forum
and because i am playing the in odd hard house club, and i see it as a challenge to do so , i'm taking it personally ( a bit )

so get over it everyone , anyone can like any music they want
and we all have a right to play what we want to hear at the weekend

anone that thinks anyone else is getting into techno because it is
a : cool
b : a way to make money

is frankly out of their mind

and one last thing
on the dancefloor no one cares as long as it's good , and that is a tried and tested fact!

so concentrate on getting more people into techno
they will buy more records/mp3s/cds , there will be more techno made
that is a simple equation really isn't it!

eyes without a face
24-01-2005, 06:43 PM
this doesnt even warrant a proper reply

neko
24-01-2005, 06:51 PM
this doesnt even warrant a proper reply

lol :lol:

techno_smack
24-01-2005, 06:58 PM
get people into techno! especially fit girls! if we all got one more person into techno that would double the total number, thus making it grow stronger! :rambo:

Stuart
24-01-2005, 07:13 PM

stuart this is not a direct dig at you
but i really needed to say this:

Thats basically what I was driving at.

I've played at several Hard house events, and have never been billed on the flyer as Techno (so I was speaking from personal experience when I said that), on way from leaving these events I also have been asked what Labels I played during my set again when told I played all techno the reply's are mostly, 'it couldn't have been I don't like techno'

On the whole I agree with expanding everyones mind.

I just don't like the cross over stuff though. But then again I can't stand Dave Clarkes stuff. ;)

miss bass
24-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Well if they like your techno records, tell them its hardhouse, then they will stick to hardhouse.

:lol:

duncandisorderly
24-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Why write techno with the hard house structure?

Its all the same anyhoo :!: boom, boom, boom, swooshy bit...boom, boom, boom some more...

i'm pretty sick of this kind of subject turning up in this forum ... / ... so get over it everyone , anyone can like any music they want and we all have a right to play what we want to hear at the weekend... :clap: :clap: right on brother ;)

webassassin
24-01-2005, 10:37 PM
i'm pretty sick of this kind of subject turning up in this forum ... / ... so get over it everyone , anyone can like any music they want and we all have a right to play what we want to hear at the weekend... :clap: :clap: right on brother ;)

I know, right? What is up with this chokehold we have on 'Techno'? Let it breathe a little. I know its everyone's little baby pride and joy and all but c'mon, we must let it play with others and compete. Otherwise, it'll be useless. ;)

Frank Dogshit
24-01-2005, 11:13 PM
i must admit bein appalled when i hear hard house heads saying they like techno while telling me about the latest marco bailey record being good. :lol:

guess its just a natural progression of peoples musical taste.....must admit a lot of the hard house heads who are getting into techno are generally about 18/19years old so there gonna find the decent shit sooner or later.

killarava2day
24-01-2005, 11:20 PM
I enjoy mixing other styles, moreso other mates records at parties. I played some house last weekend, and went out and bought a track 'ticket to ride', rather funky too. Mixing tech gives you such an advantage when play house a good 15bpm slower, holding long mixes is a breaze and alot of fun for me as well.

davethedrummer
24-01-2005, 11:37 PM
i must admit bein appalled when i hear hard house heads saying they like techno while telling me about the latest marco bailey record being good. :lol:

guess its just a natural progression of peoples musical taste.....must admit a lot of the hard house heads who are getting into techno are generally about 18/19years old so there gonna find the decent shit sooner or later.

ok so if marco bailey isn't techno .........

slavestudios
24-01-2005, 11:43 PM

cos youre Umek ????

i know.. i'll get me hoody :oops:

MangaFish
24-01-2005, 11:48 PM

i agree with you on that one. i like my techno with as little breakdowns and cleichays (i know thats nowhere near the correct spelling) as possible (which sadly seems to be the driving force of hardhouse)

Frank Dogshit
24-01-2005, 11:49 PM

ok so if marco bailey isn't techno .........

its a matter of taste mate.....his style of tracks dont interest me but ive come across many a chap whose main interest is hard house but they associate bailey with the cross over tech trance/techno crossover....its easily accessable stuff....you only have to listen to radio 1s very own fergie.

slavestudios
24-01-2005, 11:58 PM
fekkin fergie & his 'im playing techno' bullshit..

hes been pumping pish for years then all of a sudden he has Ruskin & Fenton on his show ?

then hes back to playing pumped up joy riding music...

as a NI dj, he is in the position to help a lot of ppl, but i guess hes too busy helping himself. like so many from this den of a scene...

but thats by the by... give em Rush in a dress on 3 dex & see how much they 'luv their techno'

rounser
25-01-2005, 05:13 AM

I think it is more credible though. From an interview with Jon Doe:

With your recent EP on Honeypot, many new ideas shined through and it seems your hard dance is still every bit as innovative as your hardcore. Have you got any forthcoming releases on Honeypot or any other hard dance labels?
Nothing in the pipeline as such with hard dance. I was really pleased with the EP, it sounds fresh and aside from 'Dancefloor' all tracks have loads of new ideas. Unfortunately, hard dance music is suffering from the success of dull people with little vibe who have been hyped beyond all comprehension. There’s nothing wrong with justified hype but the ethic of hard dance was having an electric party feel which you can go mad to. Instead, we have techno tracks being played by hard house DJs to be more credible and mixing tracks after they have played all the way through. That is suffocating the scene.
Maybe it's one from column A, one from column B (i.e. they do like techno, and they are playing it for cred reasons too).

davethedrummer
25-01-2005, 11:16 AM

I think it is more credible though. From an interview with Jon Doe:

With your recent EP on Honeypot, many new ideas shined through and it seems your hard dance is still every bit as innovative as your hardcore. Have you got any forthcoming releases on Honeypot or any other hard dance labels?
Nothing in the pipeline as such with hard dance. I was really pleased with the EP, it sounds fresh and aside from 'Dancefloor' all tracks have loads of new ideas. Unfortunately, hard dance music is suffering from the success of dull people with little vibe who have been hyped beyond all comprehension. There’s nothing wrong with justified hype but the ethic of hard dance was having an electric party feel which you can go mad to. Instead, we have techno tracks being played by hard house DJs to be more credible and mixing tracks after they have played all the way through. That is suffocating the scene.
Maybe it's one from column A, one from column B (i.e. they do like techno, and they are playing it for cred reasons too).

but credible to who exactly?
i think this is bullshit , people who i have met and know well are playing techno because they like it man! not for bloody credibility reasons.
mate , when you re standing in front of 2,000 punters on new years eve who are having the time of their lives , you don't start trying to get credible on them do ya ? ( unless you really need to find out what an empty dancefloor looks like )
why is everyone so damn precious about this?
it's as if people aren't allowed to play what they want or something.
everyone is nervous about some kind of over exposure of techno which will water it down somehow.
boy are you wrong!
it will NEVER happen
techno IS the underground of dance music and ALWAYS will be
that is the nature of it , it will always mutate to survive .

so , put your slippers on , get your favorite techno l.p. out
and relax in the knowledge that only 1/2000(ish) other people in the whole
WORLD have that record too .
and just try to forget that fergie ( or who ever ) might be spinning it on radio 1 that very same night. to a bunch of punters who think it's hard house. :crackup:

~cheeky~
25-01-2005, 11:18 AM
first:
the crowds aren't going mad to pure(er) techno , but they are slowly learning to dance to techno and appreciate it.

secondly
hard house djs are generally billed when they are playing techno and every so often they'll book a guy who only plays techno anyway so why the hell should they announce that?
ie: billy nasty at riot ( erm ......2 hour garage set???!!??)

thirdly techno and hard house have always had a very similar musical structure , especially the clubbier techno/acid techno/london techno , they just use different noises and concentrate on the groove rather than the breaks / breakdowns and they try to avoid using tired musical cliches.

cross over music has been going for years and years
there is nothing wrong with experimenting
many hard house guys are really into techno and not just bandwagon jumping , but they've finally seen an opportunity to play it alongside more hard housey stuff that they play. fair play to them i say.

and because i am playing the in odd hard house club, and i see it as a challenge to do so , i'm taking it personally ( a bit )

so get over it everyone , anyone can like any music they want
and we all have a right to play what we want to hear at the weekend

and one last thing
on the dancefloor no one cares as long as it's good , and that is a tried and tested fact!

well put :clap:

this is my opinion from a clubber who likes hardhouse.
i cant see a problem with hardhouse dj's playing techno.
ive not seen many but the ones i have,bk for example has gone down a treat.
i dont actually go much on these techny hardhouse sets but am lovin techno dj's playing at hardhouse nights.
this is happening more often which can only be good.
ive seen davethedrummer blow the ****ing roof off at the se1 playing at a harddance event and he is the main reason im going to the hardhouse academy nxt month.
that is an event i gave up on a long time ago but i know he is gonna go down a treat and im gonna love it ;) :cool:
at this rate it wont be long before im heading off to events just playing techno :shock: :lol:

GAMMA303
25-01-2005, 11:21 AM
theres some cross over stuff i like, and im glad to hear some of these hard house guys gettin a taste of the good stuff. i couldn't tell what i would have done if i heard one more "hoover time" type track.

my problem is, and i know its a pompus thing to say but i wish some of them would bother to educate themselves a little.

example:

i ran into a hard dance dj i hadn't seen for about 6 months, he gave me a copy of his new demo and told me that i really should check it out, chalked full of good techno. surprised to hear him so pumped on it, i asked him wether it was more the acid style or more purist / tribally stuff. he kinda scoffed and was like purist techno. i have to say i was really excited to hear his big leap, checked out the CD a few days later, and literally to me it all sounded like Hard Dance. i think there might have been a powertools and a RAW on there.

Im really not trying to pick bones here, but at least try and know what your talking about. you don't see me jumpin in playin jungle when i know very little about the music.

GAMMA303
25-01-2005, 11:43 AM
everyone is nervous about some kind of over exposure of techno which will water it down somehow.
boy are you wrong!
it will NEVER happen
techno IS the underground of dance music and ALWAYS will be
that is the nature of it , it will always mutate to survive .

Until Henry gets booked to put out a track with Madonna, then the whole world will catch the techno fire!

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

hahaha, just playin man see ya on Feb. 5th!

Tony
25-01-2005, 12:08 PM
its funny how the arguements never go the opposite way.

'god i'm sick of these techno djs suddenly deciding they like hard house!'

it would never happen. it IS getting watered down, even by the term 'hard dance', but agreed theres nothing we can do about it, nor will it effect the release and sales of more sincere techno.

it seems apparent to me that the lifestyles of techno and hard house are releatively and subjectively diametrically opposed. techno was about pushing your mind open with the concepts of technology, politics, innovation, counter culture all coupled with music. of course some people within that chose to opt for the habitual drug abuse though not at the scale that seems prevalent within hard house scenes, but at a simple level techno was more than just the music you heard at the club.

with hard house it appears that its entirely for the drugs. fully automotive music with very few simplistic ingredients and little subtlety, whereas techno can take many different levels in the breadth of its description.
even the people i've met who say 'i used to play hard house, beofre getting into techno' after a few minutes of conversation i can still see that there view of techno is merely a mutated ideal of what they linked to in hard house and there expressions therein do leave it at that level.

what we're saying is played in these clubs isnt really infringing on the description of techno, more that its written to sympathise with the HH sound, or its juxtaposed to create further dimensions to a fairly limited palette.

i cant really see the HH djs whipping out a techno set that would make any A-list techno dj worry. more that they have seen the limitations of the genre they are working with and have sought something to actually bring some freshness to their sound. IMHO thats still not techno, its hard dance.

gumpy green
25-01-2005, 12:28 PM
its funny how the arguements never go the opposite way.

'god i'm sick of these techno djs suddenly deciding they like hard house!'

it would never happen. it IS getting watered down, even by the term 'hard dance', but agreed theres nothing we can do about it, nor will it effect the release and sales of more sincere techno.

it seems apparent to me that the lifestyles of techno and hard house are releatively and subjectively diametrically opposed. techno was about pushing your mind open with the concepts of technology, politics, innovation, counter culture all coupled with music. of course some people within that chose to opt for the habitual drug abuse though not at the scale that seems prevalent within hard house scenes, but at a simple level techno was more than just the music you heard at the club.

with hard house it appears that its entirely for the drugs. fully automotive music with very few simplistic ingredients and little subtlety, whereas techno can take many different levels in the breadth of its description.
even the people i've met who say 'i used to play hard house, beofre getting into techno' after a few minutes of conversation i can still see that there view of techno is merely a mutated ideal of what they linked to in hard house and there expressions therein do leave it at that level.

what we're saying is played in these clubs isnt really infringing on the description of techno, more that its written to sympathise with the HH sound, or its juxtaposed to create further dimensions to a fairly limited palette.

i cant really see the HH djs whipping out a techno set that would make any A-list techno dj worry. more that they have seen the limitations of the genre they are working with and have sought something to actually bring some freshness to their sound. IMHO thats still not techno, its hard dance.

WORD WORD WORD...

well said tony.

as krsone said about hiphop (hiphop's been sub for techno)

"techno is a way of life, a way to view the world". it is NOT just music to me.

gumpy green
25-01-2005, 12:30 PM
oh and tony ive got that tel no for you for underground solushn...toatlly forgot till now when i saw yer name on that post.....if i forget to pm ya later today then remind me....sorry man.

gumpy green
25-01-2005, 12:34 PM
on the subject of HH djs trying to mix techno to "enhance ther sets"...

why the fuk do techno djs dont look at hiphop/turntablists to enhance thers???

why dont none of you skratch or shit?????

why why why, when techno music is about using advances in technogy to create unique sounds..?????

rounser
25-01-2005, 12:34 PM
but credible to who exactly?
How much respect do you think genres like club trance, hardhouse and happy hardcore? Not much...no, in fact their credibility is largely so low that they're likely to get bagged by the rest of the dance music "scene". For instance: What's more credible, acid or hoovers? Deep house or funky house? It may be silly, but it's the way people think, and ingrained in dance music culture.

There seems to be a sort of invisible hierarchy of the genres, and purist techno is way up there, if not at the top. Sounds which define the term aside, add the prefix "tech" to a genre and it immediately gains credibility in much the same way people grasp for it by using words like "progressive" or "intelligent". It's sometimes hard to tell whether using these words is as much a bid for status as a descriptor of the actual sound....and to some people this matters a hell of a lot; they like to think they're listening to sophisticated music, and worry what others think of their tastes (could they play it to family and friends without embarrassment?). I know these people exist because I've seen them posting on messageboards, talking in these terms and using these words in ways that suggest image is as important as content. :dontevengothere:

This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with techno; more to do with the insecurities and imposed pecking orders of the followers of other genres. But hardhouse seems to be attracting a lot more negative attention of late, so I think it's safe to say that it's taken a dive in terms of respect in recent years (much as hardstyle has), and has nowhere near the respect that techno has. I don't think it's a stretch to say that a DJ needs a certain level of credibility and respect in order to get a whole range of bookings, and that's related to the music they play, and the associations with that music (and genre).

TechMouse
25-01-2005, 01:16 PM

why why why, when techno music is about using advances in technogy to create unique sounds..?????

errrr... some do?

Pretty sure I've heard scratching in Techno sets before.

Tony
25-01-2005, 01:38 PM

errrr... some do?

erm, yeah, there's only a few who do it in a hip hop turntablist style, but they are out there.
i for one wouldnt say i was a demon scratcher, but beat juggling and kick drum scratching i have down to a tee.
best not to do it for too long in a set cos, as like hip hop scratching or guitar solos, sometimes it can become a bit self indulgent.

anyhoo, back on topic..........

schlongfingers
25-01-2005, 01:57 PM

errrr... some do?

erm, yeah, there's only a few who do it in a hip hop turntablist style, but they are out there.
i for one wouldnt say i was a demon scratcher, but beat juggling and kick drum scratching i have down to a tee.
best not to do it for too long in a set cos, as like hip hop scratching or guitar solos, sometimes it can become a bit self indulgent.

anyhoo, back on topic..........

Yeah, right - good DJ's across the board take influence from EVERYTHING. To be so insular as to solely take techno as a source of ideas leads to nothing but stagnation in the vast majority of cases.

Tony
25-01-2005, 02:53 PM
too right man, george formby has been my biggest influence to date, closely followed by marguerita praggatan, then maybe the techno remixes of shakka demus and pliers.

keep those boundaries open folks ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
i am in agreement with you really, just being daft

fresh_an_funky_design
25-01-2005, 04:11 PM
who cares about if hard house dj's are playing techno. From my perspective of owning a label the more people playing techno the better. It means that instead of labels scraping to survive off tiny profit margins, we can press more records or sell more mp3's, therefore making it easier for the label(s) to survive!

davethedrummer
25-01-2005, 05:48 PM
too right man, george formby has been my biggest influence to date, closely followed by marguerita praggatan, then maybe the techno remixes of shakka demus and pliers.

keep those boundaries open folks ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
i am in agreement with you really, just being daft

my biggest influence is probably alcohol
followed closely by staying up late , and being naughty

koma
25-01-2005, 07:43 PM
keep pushing the boundaries

so what if hardhouse dj plays techno? hh kidz think its hardhouse too? let em be, they will realise it one day.. maybe :D

with so many styles and such big categorisation of music most kidz dont know the difference between styles anyway..
and at the end of a day, who cares, as long as they have good time and enjoy themselfs..

bunch of croatian trance djs were or still are playing Rolando's Jaguar, so lots of kids think its trance tune.. I really dont have any more nerves to explain them, god knows I've been trying for a long time..

audioinjection
25-01-2005, 07:45 PM
shit, if hard house dj's play techno, that means more sales for techno right?

**** it, sounds good to me

Honeey
26-01-2005, 12:28 AM

Yes there's nothing worse than a good techno set or any good set for that matter with someone that just can't stop the scratching, tricks whatever and goes off on some possessed tangent, yikes! :lol:

It's painful for me (seriously) to hear good techno being played with any other kind of bad cheezy music or in a badly mixed set BUT if it's played masterfully with other good music and with someone who knows what they are doing it can be good....personally I like to hear things in their purest form without any watering down or mash ups etc... but that’s just me and I respect anyone who has an open mind to music.

Frank Dogshit
26-01-2005, 12:32 AM

Yes there's nothing worse than a good techno set or any good set for that matter with someone that just can't stop the scratching, tricks whatever and goes off on some possessed tangent, yikes! :lol:

when dave clarke used to be on form a few years ago i could stand and stare at this guy doin tricks all night regardless of the tunes....awesome and not even slightly annoying. :cool:

Honeey
26-01-2005, 03:33 AM

when dave clarke used to be on form a few years ago i could stand and stare at this guy doin tricks all night regardless of the tunes....awesome and not even slightly annoying. :cool:

Impressive.....most impressive :rambo:

AcidTrash
26-01-2005, 03:49 AM
I'm quite fond of that stuff with kick drums and hi hats. It's been done before I know but it is very good. I wish people would make more of it instead of talking about it.

borisXHL
26-01-2005, 07:55 AM
hmm some of us i presume cant really make out what you all getting at YO it seem like its solely uk problem ;)

FuK-NuT
26-01-2005, 09:34 AM
id say more a down south problem....there aint much of a hh scene in scotland.....thank fuk ;)

were all a bunch o serious party heads and tek luverz really... ;)

rounser
26-01-2005, 10:22 AM
were all a bunch o serious party heads and tek luverz really... ;)
Wickedy-bo...if only the same could be said for Australia really.

To you UK DJs if you make it down south, please bring it and don't hold back. :twisted:

Tony
26-01-2005, 12:05 PM
my biggest influence is probably alcohol
followed closely by staying up late , and being naughty

in that order!!! :lol:

Tony
26-01-2005, 12:07 PM

nah! dave clarke on the phono/line switch!! aaaaaaaaagh!!
stop it!!! i'll cut your hands off!!!! do it on the crossfader so you dont get that massive out of time click caused by flipping the circuitry. he's clearly got the rhythm in his hands so why doesnt he just use the cross fader, it would sound worlds better.

dude can scratch though, as well. ;)

AcidTrash
26-01-2005, 12:09 PM
This is how I see it...

The 4:4 kickdrum dance scene is evidfently getting smaller so promotors can't afford to be as fussy as the used to be. It's about getting hold of good music that appeals to everyone. Most specialists realise this and are adapting their sets accordingly. DJ's have to play to the crowd they've been paid to entertain. The hardhouse sound spectrum is massively over exploited at the moment so it's DJ's are looking elsewhere for new material because they share the same goal as all of us. bringing different, quality music to a new audience.

Under careful guidance hardhouse DJ's are making some incredible techno and vice versa. In this age of dance music diversity is essential and anyone who'll freeze out a quality techno artist because they've dabbled in hard house can really get to f*ck.

Hard house f*cking wicked in small doses of the right stuff and mixed with techno you get to please the whole room and not just one geeky niche of snobby coke head blokes.

Frank Dogshit
26-01-2005, 12:57 PM
This is how I see it...

The 4:4 kickdrum dance scene is evidfently getting smaller so promotors can't afford to be as fussy as the used to be. It's about getting hold of good music that appeals to everyone. Most specialists realise this and are adapting their sets accordingly. DJ's have to play to the crowd they've been paid to entertain. The hardhouse sound spectrum is massively over exploited at the moment so it's DJ's are looking elsewhere for new material because they share the same goal as all of us. bringing different, quality music to a new audience.

Under careful guidance hardhouse DJ's are making some incredible techno and vice versa. In this age of dance music diversity is essential and anyone who'll freeze out a quality techno artist because they've dabbled in hard house can really get to f*ck.

Hard house f*cking wicked in small doses of the right stuff and mixed with techno you get to please the whole room and not just one geeky niche of snobby coke head blokes.

sorry mate dont agree with any of that post.

you trying to say established techno djs/producers are making some incredible hard house?? :lol:

AcidTrash
26-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Alex Calver.

Frank Dogshit
26-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Alex Calver.

who?

schlongfingers
26-01-2005, 01:53 PM
The 4:4 kickdrum dance scene is evidfently getting smaller

Whatever happened to dance music.

Frank Dogshit
26-01-2005, 01:55 PM

is it really getting that smaller? :lol:

AcidTrash
26-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Alex Calver.

who?

Glitch records. Probably the best techno I've ever heard.

AcidTrash
26-01-2005, 02:08 PM

I say that because if I said techno people would think "proper techno" and if I say hard dance someone will think hard house/hardstyle/trance. There's always one pedantic bastard whop makes it difficult. Dance is a usable term but I'm sure someone could split that hair too.

AcidTrash
26-01-2005, 02:09 PM

is it really getting that smaller? :lol:

If you beleive any of the recent threads on here it is.

Tony
27-01-2005, 01:19 PM
This is how I see it...

yeah sorry, not really in agreement. the music i play out most often right now is 4/4 kick drum based music and is exploding all over europe. filling everything from big clubs to small bars and selling very well.

if you've shackled your artistic life to one creatively sinking ship, to then jump ship and change your style and label it up as something else out of desperation for the quogmire you're facing, then where has the determination gone for the sound you supposedly had so much passion for in the first place. it reaks of artistic unpleasantness.

mr drummer is one of the only people i can give any respect to in this scenario. for doing what he's done for years, then when the clubs styles have been forcably moulded, he's well in the postion to keep on doing what he's doing, and even for the fans who may have felt miffed at his apparent departure, they cant really complain cos he's prob still churning out high quyality productions and their respect for him would still remain intact and their miffed-ness manifests itself as scepticism of the morals of HH djs who 'suddenly' discover their latent love of techno they 'always' had.

but for it to go the other way, nah! a hard house producer/dj converting to a techno one just wouldnt happen. its still hard house but with more ingredients, because they've hit the end of the road with the limitations that they'd given themselves.

alex claver: his discogs list looks like a HH producer but with the word techno used as misplaced generalising descriptive term. a few releases on hydraulix dont make up for the amount of releases on tidy trax, and that kind of sums it up for me.

Si the Sigh
27-01-2005, 01:42 PM
This thread again? :roll:

Quite simply...

GOOD MUSIC IS GOOD MUSIC!

Jay Sanders
27-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Alex Calver has got a release coming out on one of Robert Natus's labels very soon, id class that as a techno producer!!!

ds2
27-01-2005, 07:38 PM
who?

Glitch records. Probably the best techno I've ever heard.[/quote]

just checked a soundclip on juno

http://www.juno.co.uk/search.php?q=alex+calver

sorry but if that's what you call techno...

Frank Dogshit
27-01-2005, 08:09 PM
who?

sorry but if that's what you call techno...[/quote]

jesus christ....thats absolutely awful.

1st time id listened to an alex calver track and this will be the last. NONE of them tunes on that juno list are worthy of more that a 2 second listen. awful!

gumpy green
27-01-2005, 08:28 PM
who?

1st time id listened to an alex calver track and this will be the last. NONE of them tunes on that juno list are worthy of more that a 2 second listen. awful![/quote]

had a listen too...that aint techno....and it even says so on the page.....hardhouse

FuK-NuT
28-01-2005, 09:54 AM
yup...had a listen myself on chemical at both the techno and hardhoose
alex calver has on there...and it all sounded the same to me ie hardhoose

only difference was there was less of a break down on the techno tracks..

:dontevengothere:

Patrick
28-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Alex Calver posts on BOA so maybe ask him whether he thinks it's HH or techno.

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1774

Jay Sanders
28-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Id say his stuff is close to London techno imo!!!

Ive deffinately heard a hell of alot worse.

schlongfingers
28-01-2005, 11:33 AM
The Glitch one is OK, well one track on it is anyway.

FuK-NuT
28-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Alex Calver posts on BOA so maybe ask him whether he thinks it's HH or techno.

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1774

why?? imo it doesnt sound like techno...

Tony
28-01-2005, 12:59 PM
This thread again? :roll:

Quite simply...

GOOD MUSIC IS GOOD MUSIC!

yep, and HH doesnt fit in that description, as axiomatic as it is.

Louk
28-01-2005, 01:39 PM
cheers mate youve just given me a wicked tune title :)

Louk

Dabble
28-01-2005, 02:18 PM
As much as I do not like HH, I have no problem with HH DJ's & producers doing techno. It's up to them & who are to judge? If you don't like it then you don't have to listen to it, simple as that. If they're not into for genuine reasons then they won't last long so it's nothing to be worried about. Techno was here before HH dj's got involved and will be long after, so just enjoy your techno & stop worrying about the others.

We all have different tastes at the end of the day, if we didn't, it would be very boring but then we'd moan about that too ;)

Ritzi Lee
28-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Allready gave up for years
to join these kind of discussions.

who gives a ****???
i don't!!!

fresh_an_funky_design
28-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Allready gave up for years
to join these kind of discussions.

who gives a ****???
i don't!!!

too right... who gives a shit! stop bitchin an go buy/make/mix/listen to some techno :lol:

jon connor
28-01-2005, 04:04 PM
i think the point that people get pissed off with hard house djs trance djs wot ever in that music is this,,,,,,,i dont no if any of you hear have experienced it but i have. for years ive played techno in these kind of clubs also i won a big competition 5 years ago as a youngster at North.
the problem i faced was constant bitching,,,,,things like wots that s.h.i.t you playing.people in the competition saying it was a fix because i playe twisted crap.....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! so for years at venues in the sordidid world of dj bitching i was lets say a bit peeved with the constant slagging of the music i was trying to play..........seems now is the case most of the partys concerned here with the abuse i received are now playing techno.......an almost overnight conversion........so are these people genuinely into techno or are they just playing it because it seems to be in fashion at the moment.

im not saying every hard house hard style etc artist are the same but i have had my fare share of abuse like other artists from sum guys who are now playing are sound they slagged off in the first place.

i dont want to raise an issiue but more of a point here,,,i dont care who plays techno im not bothered im happy techno is on the up. the thing i get concerned about is the way in this country we seem to have a rather high speed band wagon..... :eh:

Stuart
28-01-2005, 04:15 PM
cheers mate youve just given me a wicked tune title :)

Louk

hahaha At least something good has come from this thread. :clap:

Mindful
28-01-2005, 09:05 PM
hmmmmm dont know what to say on this subject realy the only sort of post I can come up with would be negative im afraid.
I must agree with Tony the most and I can realy relate to what Jon Conner is saying the people who have been telling me Techno is w*nk for years are now trying educate me on the subject when its evident that they only know a little about it BUT whos to say people cannot change their minds on what they like not me anyway.

and thats the most posative answer I have for a load of hard house peeps jumping on to the techno bandwagon and polluting my precious techno :cry:

:lol:

Mindful
28-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Basicley my point is this
people are free to do whatever they want with music.I try to not let it affect me.
But sadly it does seem to affect me dont know why,maybe its to do with the amount of passion I put in to the full Techno life and im starting to feel a bit pesicuted myself for being a bit of a purist by people who imo dont have a clue what its realy about and just seem to be lodging in the next big thing but maybe they have different ideas on what its about.

We will see who is still techno when the next fad is happening then they will get my respect(not that my respect is worth shit to anyone who doesnt know me or anyone attall for that matter im just not that important realy)

tocsin
29-01-2005, 12:52 AM
... and one last thing

That about sums up how I feel.

AcidTrash
29-01-2005, 06:23 AM
who?

1st time id listened to an alex calver track and this will be the last. NONE of them tunes on that juno list are worthy of more that a 2 second listen. awful!

had a listen too...that aint techno....and it even says so on the page.....hardhouse[/quote]

You need to check out glitch 6. Probably the best techno I own at the moment.

Ginjin
29-01-2005, 08:17 AM
....ask someone who doesn't listen to any of the many various sub genres of techno and you know what they will call it.....Techno...no matter if it is hard house, acid, trance, etc. Imo this outlook is bang on and if it sounds good and floats your boat....****ing play it and keep the sets interesting.

Alex Calver
29-01-2005, 11:56 AM
who?

What u suggest then mate? Should i stop making music altogether? Maybe i'll throw away all my records too and cancel my gigs. Obviously u seem to have some kind of musical authority and insight. Maybe we could arrange for you to share your production blueprints with me and i could attempt to make tracks to cater for your particular requirements. Or maybe i should'nt even be on YOUR forum and i should f*** off back to hardhouse where i belong...

Alex Calver
29-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Pass me my coat on the way out, cheers

Alex Calver
29-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Pass me my coat on the way out, cheers

fitipaldi
29-01-2005, 12:08 PM

You obviously don't listen to that much techno then mate, have a listen to the space djs for a start.

You can spot these dodgy HH producers a mile off. HH is created soley for the dancefloor and producers are influenced by things as diverse as the vacuum cleaner, to try to take this mentality over to the techno scene is wrong. Techno artists are obviously influenced by a far wider range of music and it shows in the quality of productions. For a HH producer/DJ to try to pass himself off as having any credibilty within the techno scene, they're going to have to do a bit of research. You can't just turn up with a bag of pounders and expect the crowd to go wild at a techno night, there has to be some thought behind it. The fact that techno tunes are so well produced compared to your average tidy realease means they stand out a mile in a HH club so they are obviously going to get a better reaction.

The crowds at techno clubs are usually far more clued up about the music and that is the reason they go to the night. This creates a special atmosphere in the club that I think people are passionate about protecting. I would hate to go down to a techno night and it be full of cyber spackers tw@tted on ket having gurn offs with each other. So to say that it doesn't matter if people know about the music or not is also wrong.

Just to add, those Alex Calver tracks on Juno are shite and are a perfect example of what I just said.

Alex Calver
29-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Fanny hair

fitipaldi
29-01-2005, 12:53 PM
ball bag :lol:

jon connor
29-01-2005, 02:46 PM
behave lads :nono: techno is going great at the moment lets cut down the bitching and get on with it...we can all accept a lot of djs and artist are turning techno from wherever music genere they come . the only thing i ask is if the hard house scene wants to go more techno is that they educate there followers more on the sound we all love. introduce producers on there vynyl from the techno scene like already i can see alex has dave drummer involved. cool that means people who dont no dave drummer will do now and if they are into mixing mabey look for his work......so i think it will help in the increase of vynyl sales in the hard techno scene only if people are aducated properly ,more information availble to the people getting into techno for the first time.if a hard house event wants to put techno artist on then there should be loads of info availble for people to no who they are.

as a former promoter i had a major problem with the fact that i wanted to bring a big techno artist to the club but the case is how to pull a big crowd with them. :eh:

i mean somone like henrik b or kay d smith or whoever..........it was a big problem the fact i couldent get a big enough crowd for foriegn quality techno artist.

so guys thay aint no stopping the techno because its coming in like a mother ------ u nos it .so please hard house guys try be a bit more wide spread with your work and try educate your people. if all goes ok vynyl sales will increase because a lot more youngsters will be comming into the record shops and asking for techno. so there are a lot of good points aswell as bad points of hard house djs going techno.

Remember " the meaning of techno is wot each of us brings to it "
;)

fitipaldi
29-01-2005, 03:18 PM
we can all accept a lot of djs and artist are turning techno from wherever music genere they come .

I wouldn't say they are turning techno, more robbing ideas cos their own sound is so stale.

if you've shackled your artistic life to one creatively sinking ship, to then jump ship and change your style and label it up as something else out of desperation for the quogmire you're facing, then where has the determination gone for the sound you supposedly had so much passion for in the first place. it reaks of artistic unpleasantness.

http://www.jamesshuggins.com/i/web1/hammer_and_nail.jpg

schlongfingers
29-01-2005, 04:20 PM
What a 6 page length of scraggy shit encrusted bog roll across a warehouse floor this thread is.

No one here OWNS techno, or any other form of music - if I'm mistaken please put me in my place. There is shit music in every subsubsubgenre, therefore it's IMPOSSIBLE to make sweeping statements like 'techno artists are more musical than hard house artists' or 'techno clubs are full of more clued up people' - what a load of utter sweaty bollocks. And WHAT a waste of time. Seriously, I hope I never end up at an afterparty with many people commenting here, I'd end up drowning myself in the bath rather than deal with blocking out the ridiculousness of message board experts telling me 'how it is' - get off your high [trojan] horses.

Tony
31-01-2005, 05:41 PM
the thing i get concerned about is the way in this country we seem to have a rather high speed band wagon..... :eh:

agreed. those with conscience should bear a metaphoric cattle prod to keep them off, wther your on the bnad wagon since it began rolling, or your by its side merely getting annoyed at the fickle ****ers.

dzzzz, have that!! :lol:

i hate this island

~cheeky~
31-01-2005, 08:57 PM
What u suggest then mate? Should i stop making music altogether? Maybe i'll throw away all my records too and cancel my gigs. Obviously u seem to have some kind of musical authority and insight. Maybe we could arrange for you to share your production blueprints with me and i could attempt to make tracks to cater for your particular requirements. Or maybe i should'nt even be on YOUR forum and i should f*** off back to hardhouse where i belong...

dont you dare cancel your gigs.
you better be at atomic energy on saturday or else :rambo: :lol: ;)

~cheeky~
31-01-2005, 08:59 PM
What a 6 page length of scraggy shit encrusted bog roll across a warehouse floor this thread is.

No one here OWNS techno, or any other form of music - if I'm mistaken please put me in my place. There is shit music in every subsubsubgenre, therefore it's IMPOSSIBLE to make sweeping statements like 'techno artists are more musical than hard house artists' or 'techno clubs are full of more clued up people' - what a load of utter sweaty bollocks. And WHAT a waste of time. Seriously, I hope I never end up at an afterparty with many people commenting here, I'd end up drowning myself in the bath rather than deal with blocking out the ridiculousness of message board experts telling me 'how it is' - get off your high [trojan] horses.

well said!!!

:clap: :notworthy: :lol:

neko
31-01-2005, 10:38 PM
classic post that fitipaldi :lol:

Frank Dogshit
31-01-2005, 11:52 PM

You obviously don't listen to that much techno then mate, have a listen to the space djs for a start.

You can spot these dodgy HH producers a mile off. HH is created soley for the dancefloor and producers are influenced by things as diverse as the vacuum cleaner, to try to take this mentality over to the techno scene is wrong. Techno artists are obviously influenced by a far wider range of music and it shows in the quality of productions. For a HH producer/DJ to try to pass himself off as having any credibilty within the techno scene, they're going to have to do a bit of research. You can't just turn up with a bag of pounders and expect the crowd to go wild at a techno night, there has to be some thought behind it. The fact that techno tunes are so well produced compared to your average tidy realease means they stand out a mile in a HH club so they are obviously going to get a better reaction.

The crowds at techno clubs are usually far more clued up about the music and that is the reason they go to the night. This creates a special atmosphere in the club that I think people are passionate about protecting. I would hate to go down to a techno night and it be full of cyber spackers tw@tted on ket having gurn offs with each other. So to say that it doesn't matter if people know about the music or not is also wrong.

Just to add, those Alex Calver tracks on Juno are shite and are a perfect example of what I just said.

brilliant! think thats one of the best comments made on this board. :clap:

schlongfingers
01-02-2005, 12:26 AM
Rubbish, it's 17 lines of sweeping generalisation. As for the hoover statement, I'm almost crying at this... fitipaldi, do you really think that the 'hoover' sound aka the mentasm sound is sampled from a vacuum cleaner? Do you think Smarties are called Smarties because they make you clever, or that Mars bars really DO come from Mars?

Frank Dogshit
01-02-2005, 12:33 AM
Rubbish, it's 17 lines of sweeping generalisation. As for the hoover statement, I'm almost crying at this... fitipaldi, do you really think that the 'hoover' sound aka the mentasm sound is sampled from a vacuum cleaner? Do you think Smarties are called Smarties because they make you clever, or that Mars bars really DO come from Mars?

excellent...good to see you can count properly.

in my eyes hes absolutely spot on regarding hard house tunes being purely for the dancefloor...how can you argue against that? at least if your going to put out so called techno tracks at least put a decent deal of thought into it so it doesnt resemble the latest tidy track(in which it does). its the sort of techno that you wouldnt give more than a needles dust to while listening to it in a record shop.

sorry if you dont agree with any of this but i'd probably pack up goin to techno nights if this sort of shit started infiltrating the nights i went to. :dontevengothere:

fitipaldi
01-02-2005, 12:50 AM

Don't patronise me dick head, if you want to talk about techno then fair enough. If you like techno and attend many of the quality techno nights throughout the country which promoters try so hard to keep special then surely you would object to this type of thing infiltrating your nights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/coventry/music/clubbing/stories/11/gatecrasher-2002-gallery/gatecrasher2.jpg

schlongfingers
01-02-2005, 12:57 AM
I prefer that to snobby trainspotter elitism - and if you don't want to be patronised, dont say ridiculous things. And i've been promoting for ten years.

schlongfingers
01-02-2005, 01:04 AM
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/graham.turner37/Pictures/Misc/spotters.jpg

Awaiting the Juno update, Monday January 31st 2004 - [There's strangers on the track]

duncandisorderly
01-02-2005, 08:28 AM
yep, and HH doesnt fit in that description, as axiomatic as it is.

what gives you the right to assume that you are right and they are wrong?

~cheeky~
01-02-2005, 08:36 AM
Don't patronise me dick head, if you want to talk about techno then fair enough. If you like techno and attend many of the quality techno nights throughout the country which promoters try so hard to keep special then surely you would object to this type of thing infiltrating your nights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/coventry/music/clubbing/stories/11/gatecrasher-2002-gallery/gatecrasher2.jpg

type of thing :shock: your attitude sucks mr :rambo:

i know,maybe some of you techno snobs should write a rule book.
who is and isnt allowed in the techno scene.
ive already been told im not wanted due to liking hardhouse and other styles as well as techno.
now it seems dress sense is also an issue.
im 35,i expect thats too old also :roll:

i have spoken to a few techno dj's and promotors who wont post on this forum because of the way some of your are with your attitude.
lucky for me i know not everyone in the techno scene is the same.
if this was the only place i could read and learn stuff id prob think alot of you could stick your music where the sun dont shine to be honest.

ok you lot can carry on going off topic with your hardhouse slagging now.

fitipaldi
01-02-2005, 09:20 AM
i've been promoting for ten years.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/48/150px-Blueship.JPG

AcidTrash
01-02-2005, 09:29 AM

brilliant! think thats one of the best comments made on this board. :clap:

That is the biggest load of sh*t I've ever read

schlongfingers
01-02-2005, 09:42 AM
I'm not asking for blue peter badge, just not for some imbecile to drop the 'promoters try and keep it special' line on me without knowing my background at all. If the promoters don't want anyone in their clubs they will not let them in, SIMPLE AS, if they felt the same way as you, they would not book people that had anything but the best techno credentials (signed and sealed by your good self of course, as you are clearly the saviour of techno). I don't think any of them have hired you to defend their position have they?

schlongfingers
01-02-2005, 09:45 AM
[quote=fitipaldi]i have spoken to a few techno dj's and promotors who wont post on this forum because of the way some of your are with your attitude.
lucky for me i know not everyone in the techno scene is the same.
if this was the only place i could read and learn stuff id prob think alot of you could stick your music where the sun dont shine to be honest.

Yeah, isn't it funny how the people bitching are hardly every the DJs, producers or promoters themselves.

MARKEG
01-02-2005, 10:19 AM
fitipaldi, calm down. your comment 'dont patronise me dick head' are not making me feel very good. read the rules. you've obviously got alot of really good stuff to say and talk about but there's no need for this.

good little subject this, but i can't help but feel it's going round in circles. and why is one man's music better than the rest? what are all house housers cybered up ket heads?? the plain fact is, alot of the techno that these DJ's are playing IS a form of techno, but it's by no means techno in it's entirety. it frustrates me sometimes when ppl tell me they are into techno and then proceed to talk about only one part of the genre, but i'm not going to loose sleep about it. i think manybe this is what gets us all so hot under the collar, cause there really is so many types of techno and we all believe what we listen to is TECHNO.

but instead of moaning, why not get out there and do something about it? power up cubase or get out on the 1210's and change ppl's attitudes. it seems to me that the only reason why the uk is not the mecca for techno that it should be (like ppl aborad think it is) is there's too much talk and not enough action. at least the hard house guys have got up of they're arse and created a huge scene for themselves and are now playing a small form of techno in their parties. can't see the problem. sort of motivates me to get in the studio now ;)

Esox Lucius
01-02-2005, 11:09 AM
threads like these that make me not want to post in the techno forums regulary with the pretentious attitude

the hard house/trance/whatever in techno thing has been done to death, especially on this forum.

dirty_bass
01-02-2005, 11:33 AM
I hate hard house, but I can understand why so many people like it.
And I really don`t see how the Hard House DJ`s getting into techno is going to do any harm to the techno scene, in fact I`m sure it will have the oppostite
effect.
As long as the techno producers don`t cash up and start making mindless oompah music then there will always be good techno. And this will shine through the imitation hybrid/hard house stuff that will inevitably be made.

Yeah, the cyber kids might turn up, but being
In a nutshell, it means.
More people getting into techno.
More gigs for techno DJ`s, possibly more record sales, and fresh blood into the scene.

You can moan about it, but personally, I applaud it, cos I don`t want to end up playing to a few mates in a garage.

MARKEG
01-02-2005, 11:34 AM
:clap:

and on that note, let's leave this alone. everything's been said that's needed to be said.

get producing you slack heads ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==