PDA

View Full Version : Acid Techno (Very pleased with this one)

AcidTrash
25-01-2005, 11:57 AM
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.north80/fatbass.mp3

BRADLEE
25-01-2005, 04:37 PM
Nice stuff indeed Pete. Although it sounds still a bit more like Acid Trance than it does Techno to me. Reminds me quite a bit of the old Infected Mushroom and Oforia Tunes.

dirty_bass
25-01-2005, 05:28 PM
This is ok.
The 303`s are very obviously plug ins and not the real thing.
This sounds like a slightly trancier version of some mid nineties acid techno, and the thing that stands out is the weak 303.
Really, there aren`t any good plugins that will do the job, but I suppose at a scratch, a audiorealism, with tons of chorus, proper overdrive, and a little verb will almost do it.

Production is a little muddy, and overall the lead sounds are a little dull (I mean in terms of movement, they could have more of an analogue feel).

The problem with a lot of new (pc based) producers, is not that the software can`t emulate analogue sounds, but that the composers have no real experience of analog kit, and therefore the knowledge of how to reproduce these sounds.

Now I`m not saying this is the case with you, but in terms of the instruments, it sounds like it.

The main lead sounds could do with phattening up, more movement with the oscillators and filters (subtley) and maybe being put into unison mode to give that wet analogue sound.

dan the acid man
25-01-2005, 11:56 PM
i agree, this is ok, but at the minute it's all sounding a little static, the synths would sound alot better with some gentle filter movement, and the 303 isnt anywhere near fat enough

CORROSIVE
26-01-2005, 01:32 AM
Nice stuff indeed Pete. Although it sounds still a bit more like Acid Trance than it does Techno to me. Reminds me quite a bit of the old Infected Mushroom and Oforia Tunes.

blatenly acid trance. not bad though.

AcidTrash
26-01-2005, 05:02 AM
Not sure how I feel about the acid line on this one. Persopnally I prefer the Muon tau for the way it sounds but theres a fair few people who are fussy about whether it should or shouldn't sound like a tb303 so I'm giving th Audiorealism Bassline a try. I agree with most peopler that the ABL does sound more like a TB303 but it's my personal view that I've made better acid music with ther Tau. I'm still finding my feet with the ABL so I'll keep at it for a while. Onm this example I'm not using any effects on the ABL and using it's inbuilt drive and distortion to attempt a (seemingly failed) more authentic sound. It does sound a lttle muddy on the riff as I have a novation V station plugin playing the same riff at underneath it to give it that more trancey edge.

In terms of the bass and percussion I'm particularly pleased. This track has a certain solid impact which I had previously been unable to obtain. It has much of the drive I've been after and stands up to turntable A/B comparisons much better than before. The next project will probably use this same drum and percussion but with the Muon Tau as to give it the lead sound I like to hear. Authentic recreation of the TB303 sound to me is secondary to making music that I like. If I like the track then I'm not going to worry too much whether it sounds like a real TB. It either makes me dance or it doesn't. This one did.

The drums were compressed but later removed the compression as I've gone for deeper bass over kick impact this time. It sounded a little overproduced before.

AcidTrash
26-01-2005, 05:43 AM
Try playing it now. I've suplimented the ABL with the Tau and switched the riff over to one I prefer. Seems to sound preferabloe to adding chorus. The synths have also been toned down a little. Not sure how close to the TB303 it is but not really fussed. sounds mint on my speakers. On reflection I didn't like the riff much before but went ahead with it to see what people think of the ABL on it comapred to my usual Tau tracks. The overall impression is that it sounds closer to the mark but I write better music when I don't use it.

The most common observation made about tmy style of acid is that the acid runs could be broken up or that the track could use some extra feratures to add a little extra intrigue. I am very open to suggestions on this matter.

paulcortex
26-01-2005, 06:44 PM
try layering up the audiorealism bassline...i sometimes use 3 together all slightly detuned...playing the same pattern....this with a touch of the inbuilt distorsion gives a better 303-a-like sound....if thats what u want!

AcidTrash
26-01-2005, 07:26 PM
been doing that today with some very pleasing results. Heading very much into tinrib trance territory now.

BRADLEE
26-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Post it when you're done Pete, I'd really like to hear the finished product.

j_s
26-01-2005, 08:46 PM
it sounds better with the new 303, the synth is still a bit plastic though.

for someone who makes so much acid, i'd seriously reccomend buying a cheap hardware clone. you can get F.A.T. 383s for as little as £75 second hand. they don't sound eactly like a 303, but they have a vibrancy and 'real'-ness to them that smash any vst. plus turning a real cutoff nob is a fckin nice feeling.

failing that - try running your vsts through a(n analog) guitar distortion pedal - should warm up the sound a bit.

fatcollective
28-01-2005, 12:38 PM
been doing that today with some very pleasing results. Heading very much into tinrib trance territory now.

:eh:

fatcollective
28-01-2005, 12:42 PM
sorry forgot to put a review...well...i thought it was really good, your sound is getting much fatter, love the 303 patterns and kick works well, although i found it a little bit too subby...but good work pete, keep at it mate.

278d7e64a374de26f==