PDA

View Full Version : rory st john - cracker talk (deep broken beats)

stjohn
27-01-2005, 05:34 PM
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~clubbers/crackertalk.mp3

havnt posted 1 in a while coz of projects and college, but finished now for a while and spent all day yesterday at this! its a bad quality mp3 coz im on a 56k modem and takes ages to upload. forgivness, please!

anyway, all feedback is welcome
thanks

audioinjection
27-01-2005, 06:09 PM
yeah man, this sounds really good, but too bad the quality is so low....i'd like to hear a better sounding quality mp3 at least

but overall, this track rocks dude

j_s
27-01-2005, 09:07 PM
some great sounds in there. interesting grooves too. kick sounds a little indistinct at times, other than that, good work.

stjohn
28-01-2005, 07:55 PM
for some reason i keep gettin that in my tracks.....when its at full bang! the power of the kicks are faded. im thinking a problem with compression, duh, but i just dont know how to remedy it.

any ideas ppl???

ill have to remix the whole thing to fix this...hopefully a better version soon.

stjohn
28-01-2005, 07:56 PM
...and thanks for the feedback!!!!!!

xfive
28-01-2005, 08:00 PM
Forgot to comment on this.. I checked it yesterday.

Some parts were really cool and funky - would love to hear a full quality version once you've fixed it up ;)

stjohn
28-01-2005, 08:07 PM
any ideas on the above problem...compression isnt one of my better talents! i can hear the power of the kick gone and it wrecks my head

stjohn
28-01-2005, 08:07 PM
...and thanks for the feedback ;)

j_s
29-01-2005, 05:05 PM
i often find my kicks get buried when all the track elements are going. though there are ways to minimise this..,

i've found sidechaining stuff to the kick, particularly parts that take up the same frequency range (i.e. basslines) helps a lot.
also, using eq to cut the kick's frequencies from the rest of the parts can bring it forward a bit.
you could try layering a different sounds on top of the kick (hats, snares etc.) to give it a bit more bite too...

hope this helps....

stjohn
29-01-2005, 07:15 PM
cheers mate...its about time i messed around with this sidechaining business. i just wish i knew what i was doin

dirty_bass
02-02-2005, 12:14 AM
I like this, broken beat with some character that separates it from the surgeon-wrist slashing, birmingham/spanish thing.
Good.
Tribal in the true sense.
As for your kick problems. the solution is a combination of things.
Backing off the compression over the whole track will help, moving it to a bus and sending certian parts through it is wiser.

Subtractive eq. If you are doing this correctly there should be very little interfering with the kick.

I cannot stress this enough with anybody.
Subtractive eq, is the holy grail.

Sidechaining stuff to the kick, especially the bass is also another helper, as long as it`sl not overdone.

Also, try adding more top end and some mid to your kick to give it bite.

I like this track a lot on second listen. It`s a little flat after while though and could do with some extra element to give it some direction.
A synth might take away some of the apparent loopyness.

:clap:

herman
02-02-2005, 01:50 AM
liked this a lot as well (only checked it out on a laptop so can't comment too much of sound quality) personally thought it would have worked much better if you have just started it at the 1:40 point and dropped all of what happens before then its much less loopy and has a lot of stuff going on after that ;)

stjohn
02-02-2005, 03:06 AM
Backing off the compression over the whole track will help, moving it to a bus and sending certian parts through it is wiser.

Sidechaining stuff to the kick, especially the bass is also another helper, as long as it`sl not overdone.

Also, try adding more top end and some mid to your kick to give it bite.

how do u mean moving it to a bus??? never messed around with sidechainin but have been readin up on it since everyone started talking about it here 2 weeks ago.

im going to re-mix the whole tune and try to punch it up a bit, cheers lads!

278d7e64a374de26f==