PDA

View Full Version : djing or lack of???

gumpy green
01-02-2005, 02:20 PM
an offshoot of another thread.

gumpy green wrote:
why the fuk do techno djs dont look at hiphop/turntablists to enhance thers???

fitipaldi
You obviously don't listen to that much techno then mate, have a listen to the space djs for a start.

space djs- like ive never heard them, ive even saw Jamie Bissmire live but never together and ther was nothing remotely turntablim in his set. Maybe it is you who hasent listened to enuf hiphop djs, that was my orig point. Thers not enuf techno djs studied other forms of djing and taking it to the next level, like we should, as were all forward thinkers, right?. If you think the space djz are anything near as skilled as the allies/isp/beat junkies then you need to study.

Whats other folks view on this.......leave hiphop skilz alone.....or try and encoperate them into our world?

i personally am one of the very few who choose to study the skracth etc and im getting bored with staight forward beatmatching styles...same old same old....

dirty_bass
01-02-2005, 02:24 PM
wikka wakka wikka wakka vivvit vivvit vit vit vit vavavavava vit.

dirty_bass
01-02-2005, 02:26 PM
I just wanna hear good tunes, there`s too many effects and scratching and arsing about these days.
Mainly cos of all the loopypoop that`s getting released.

soma
01-02-2005, 02:29 PM
i remember The Producer used to scratch it up in his sets with some real hard techno. As long as you don't go over board i think it can work quite well especially with the hard minimal techno he played- that is if you can do it.

gumpy green
01-02-2005, 02:36 PM
what about getting a locked tone/bassline and playing a melody(by chaging the pitch) over a drum loop........

maybe even adding some delays to the drum loop to create and build your own breaks...(whilst playing the tone at the same time, obviosly).

it aint all skratching....ther 1million and 1 ways to flip techno.

schlongfingers
01-02-2005, 02:38 PM
Incorporate anything and everything to make it ssound good :) yes when a DJ is experimental and still keeps the floor moving it's another level altogether - truth is that these DJs are few and far between!

schlongfingers
01-02-2005, 02:41 PM
what about getting a locked tone/bassline and playing a melody(by chaging the pitch)

I often do that, even without locked tones, just keep it low in the mix and cut the bass and hi's, can sound really good :) Also flicking between 45 & 33 and snapping to exact pitches in rhythm with the beat - this works well cos mathematically, so long as you're flicking between the same pitch points and keeping to the same rhythm, the track WILL kick back in time ;)

Stuart
01-02-2005, 02:49 PM
I just wanna hear good tunes, there`s too many effects and scratching and arsing about these days.

Too true, and clubbers can't dance to a dj scratching it up on a deck.
I also hate the DJM 600 being used in clubs. The Dj's can't resist to use some of its stupid effects. It should be about the mixing and the music. Not look at me see what I can do. Leave that to the DMC championship where people go to see that.
Yes its impressive but not for a dance floor.

fitipaldi
01-02-2005, 02:49 PM

gumpy green wrote:

fitipaldi
You obviously don't listen to that much techno then mate, have a listen to the space djs for a start.

space djs- like ive never heard them, ive even saw Jamie Bissmire live but never together and ther was nothing remotely turntablim in his set. Maybe it is you who hasent listened to enuf hiphop djs, that was my orig point. Thers not enuf techno djs studied other forms of djing and taking it to the next level, like we should, as were all forward thinkers, right?. If you think the space djz are anything near as skilled as the allies/isp/beat junkies then you need to study.

Whats other folks view on this.......leave hiphop skilz alone.....or try and encoperate them into our world?

i personally am one of the very few who choose to study the skracth etc and im getting bored with staight forward beatmatching styles...same old same old....

how would he be scratchin in a live set, surly he doesn't have any records?

I see what you are saying although would you not say turntablism is an art in itself, not something you just spend years learning so you can throw it into a techno set everynow and again. Plus people often slate djs who go off on one with tricks for ages.

gumpy green
01-02-2005, 02:54 PM
nice one schlongfingers...keep it up and infect everyone with the djing bug. ;)

been messin about with a locked tone and some beat stutter effects on the tone whilst havin an analogue hpf on the other channel...getting it quite sweet so far, i still gotta perfect it over the next couple of yrs tho.(check ma sig for a live version of this as my intro for a set, bad feeback welcomed)

Rydel
01-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Hiphop skillz are quite impressive, but it's a totally different style of mixing... And altho many DJ's use some tricks in their sets, it's nowhere near the skill of hiphop DJ's, takes too much training & besides.. I think it would be quite annoying to have some idiot scratch all the time. People like DC and Jamie Bizzmire (however you spell it) scratch quite good, but if they'd do it all the time I'd go crazy...

slavestudios
01-02-2005, 03:00 PM
use every tool at your disposal..

but for all the cleverness of scratch djs (and it is VERY clever) i aint never seen one hold 2 trax together for a full 2 min mix..

they can cut & scratch but cant blend the way a techno jock can.

but then, its a different application of a different skill.

i would love to be able to beat juggle lock grooves the way Krush of Q-bert can, but its never gonna happen lol

go for it man, if ppl dont dig it, f**k em :rambo:

Rydel
01-02-2005, 03:05 PM

I also hate the DJM 600 being used in clubs. The Dj's can't resist to use some of its stupid effects. It should be about the mixing and the music. Not look at me see what I can do. Leave that to the DMC championship where people go to see that.

Good DJ's ofcourse distribute the level of scratches, FX etc. troughout their sets.... it doesn't have to be annoying (contradicting myself with the previous post) but yeah, it depends on the taste of the listener. I do tend to scratch sometimes, especially over breakdowns building up. Some people like it, other people think it destroys the effect of the record.

Same go for FX > I love sampling the break in the RAW R01 and **** up the vocal a lot while I take out the record already and kicking it back in when the "get fresh at the weekend" break starts coming back in, while scratching over it. Fits the dancefloor great, but think some DJ's would kill me if they had the chance ;)

gumpy green
01-02-2005, 03:11 PM
yeh alot of folk seem to think that if you skratch over techno yer gonna do it for the whole set....bollocks......done well at the right time over the right beat, the crowd gets lifted, then you strat droppng the rolling beatz again and the party is DEFO lifetd for a bit.

about hiphop djs mixing......sure they dont do it as much but ive got tapes and some of the blending is really good....plus if ther mixin rap tracks the gotta be quick to mix the into with the outro(or lyrics will clash) so although they havent mixed for 2mins....they have to get that exact 30second spot on....can be tuff.

juggling locked grooves has so many posibliltes..... you have 4 counts on each record to arragne how you feel...maybe even start jugglin it on 3/4 sig....for 10-20 seconds then let it play...im sure the crowd would feel it and be lifted to the next level by it.....i for one would.....i go crazy when i see somein so creative getting flipped live.

gumpy green
01-02-2005, 03:13 PM

thats bad use of tricks...not the tricks themselves.......dont let yourselve slip into it cant be done mentality........then shit really STAGNATES.

Rydel
01-02-2005, 03:16 PM
juggling locked grooves has so many posibliltes..... you have 4 counts on each record to arragne how you feel...maybe even start jugglin it on 3/4 sig....for 10-20 seconds then let it play...im sure the crowd would feel it and be lifted to the next level by it.....i for one would.....i go crazy when i see somein so creative getting flipped live.

True, I'd love to be able to do that.... :clap: But guess I'll need another 10 years of experience to get that a 100% right... And with techno you have to be more accurate then with hiphop, coz the music is faster so you hear mistakes faster & the crowd will stop dancing if you keep dropping the groove in out of sync :twisted:

gumpy green
01-02-2005, 03:37 PM
True, I'd love to be able to do that.... :clap: But guess I'll need another 10 years of experience to get that a 100% right... And with techno you have to be more accurate then with hiphop, coz the music is faster so you hear mistakes faster & the crowd will stop dancing if you keep dropping the groove in out of sync :twisted:

practice and 'onest 'ard work will get you ther.....u think qbert hasent stood for hrs an hrs practicing the same record movement over and over till he could nail it....bit hard work is whats needed in any art form to progress it. No more practice and youll just stay at about the same level for ever...

and yeh ther would be no point in doing it if you were gonna drop the groove and spoil everything, that why you gotta practice till you CAN nail it, without even thinking about it......no point of trying summin you cant do and making a noise.

TechMouse
01-02-2005, 03:39 PM
I've seen DJ Kentaro do scratch-techno by beat juggling & scratching with two Tortured records. That was quite impressive. His set kind of killed the atmosphere that had been built up though, because everyone stopped dancing and stood around to watch him.

gumpy green
01-02-2005, 03:55 PM
I've seen DJ Kentaro do scratch-techno by beat juggling & scratching with two Tortured records. That was quite impressive. His set kind of killed the atmosphere that had been built up though, because everyone stopped dancing and stood around to watch him.

woudnt mind seeing this........any online links to it.?

what im saying tho is incoperate these skills into a flowing set that the crowd can dance to..

like a break in the track....not many flok are mooving much here but when it comes back in they are(and usually with more nrg)....apply that theory to yer tricks

Rydel
01-02-2005, 03:59 PM
No more practice and youll just stay at about the same level for ever...

Ofcourse I practise ;) with a vengeance even! :rambo: Till I beat Q-bert :roll:

Must 've been really impressive then (or horribly wrong) Never seen it tho

TechMouse
01-02-2005, 04:17 PM
woudnt mind seeing this........any online links to it.?
There's a 40 minute Kentaro mix in this (http://www.turntableradio.com/audio/ttr-030921.ram) radio show, but I don't know how Techno it is because I don't have RealPlayer.

His skills are, frankly, frightening.

TechMouse
01-02-2005, 04:27 PM
There's some video here (http://www.djkentaro.com/pages/eng/movie.html).

Rydel
01-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Shame it's an old site :cry: But a DMC winner... always amazing to see in action.

Stuart
01-02-2005, 04:38 PM

thats bad use of tricks...not the tricks themselves.......dont let yourselve slip into it cant be done mentality........then shit really STAGNATES.
I know people that can scratch and do some great stuff with techno.

When it goes wrong it sounds awful and the Luke SLater cd is a great example of that.

slavestudios
01-02-2005, 04:55 PM
well grumpy, like i said, different applications for different music i guess..

but i'll say this. when i wa resident at the Brunswick in belfast, they had a hip hop floor with the best hip hop jox in the world. and for all the cutting & jugglin & scratchin, Noize was the only dj who could actually 'mix' records.. everyone else, and i mean EVERYONE, jus scratched a phrase 7 threw it..

and so many hip hop djs look down on club/techno jox. they gotta get that attitude in check..

ampassasinbirmingham
01-02-2005, 06:27 PM
grumpy: i think they meant ben long not bissmire, although ive never seen bissmire play, ben long on both the occasions ive sen him play is very tuntabltastic. lots of scratching, cuts, and general vinyl manipulation.

i hate this total debate. i like a blend of it all. i love a smooth purist mix. no hitches just a smooth set.

on the other hand i also love a dj to do tricks, not all night, but i love to see a dj work the crowd with tricks.

if its not done well, or to fequently tho it can go tits up.

but all in all i think a blend is best. if everyone mashed it up or did smooth mixes there would be no variety.

as grandma used to say "variety is the spice of life, now **** off and go get me haemeroid cream. my piles are feeling sore and your delicate fingers will do the trick!"

koma
01-02-2005, 06:39 PM
I believe every dj should develop his own style that suits him best. if all would use the same technique, now that would be boring..

ex hiphop djs/b-boys are I guess best at turntablism.. I've seen some videos of Simon Underground cutting and scratching hardcore records, great performance..

Mindful
01-02-2005, 07:43 PM
I believe every dj should develop his own style that suits him best. if all would use the same technique, now that would be boring..

:clap:

Incorparate whatever you can in to your sets as long as the music and flow comes first.

BRADLEE
01-02-2005, 08:09 PM
I didn't read the inital post..sorry.

here is my two cents though...

If you're going to mix records, mix them. Don't just slam from track to track. If you mix techno as I do, mix it for a very long time. The longer the better for the transition. Usually atleast 1/3 of the record minimum...

Evil G
01-02-2005, 09:15 PM
any type of djing is about making the right sound at the right time.

what sound that is will depend on the context of the other sounds you've already played. i think that "tricks" sound much better when properly setup. ie, set the stage, or foreshadow what you are going to do, build anticipation, then deliver the goods, give them a bit of time to appreciate what you just did, then move on to the next idea.

but trick after trick gets boring and takes away from the music.

gumpy green
02-02-2005, 12:23 AM
good points folks.....im with yaz ..a good clean mix with the odd trick thrown in to highting the set......
and pete -
and so many hip hop djs look down on club/techno jox. they gotta get that attitude in check.

i suppose i can be a bit like that sometimes, not saying a dont appreciate the difference in styles, its just that just id like to see a bit more turntablism creeping into techno sets.... and sometimes i like to wind up non skratchers ;)

gotta be shovin the skratch down on tha board tho......gotta get at least one of yaz converted... ;)

Rizage
02-02-2005, 12:38 AM
I didn't read the inital post..sorry.

here is my two cents though...

If you're going to mix records, mix them. Don't just slam from track to track. If you mix techno as I do, mix it for a very long time. The longer the better for the transition. Usually atleast 1/3 of the record minimum...

I think that depends on the track. Loopy tracks back to back can sound very long and drawn out if you don't mix them quickly. Some tracks are full and therefore sound better when blended w/ another track for a certain amount of time. In "my" opinion, it really depends on what mood you're trying to create, what picture you're painting, or where you're going in your set. Sometimes I'll play a very small part of a track just for a certain sound, pull it out, drop something else, then later on go back to that same track just to play it in it's entirety.

Flying through four or five tracks w/out playing the break, can build a peak in your set. Then when you play the right track with a wicked break, you get the crowd eatin' out of your hands for the rest of the night.

MARKEG
02-02-2005, 01:04 AM
well i just hate scratching on techno. 99% of the time it just doesn't go (perhaps someone should create a form of techno where it DOES work ;)) i've never learnt how to scratch, even in the electro days in the 80's I just wasnt interested. personally, i love to watch a DMC video with someone scratching to hip hop or electro (HOW talented is it all eh??!!!!). i love hearing jamie and ben cuase they're different, i love producer doing his thing, but nothing (for me) beats a well mixed set, with personality... where the DJ is using EQ to its full extent to truly mix trax together and cutting the fader out at precisely the right moments. when i'm djing dont' see the need for 'tricks' but i do see the need for 'smooth mixing, plus you're own character, that is gonna be different than the next man'. so you could call that a trick in itself. your own personal trick :clap:

jon connor
02-02-2005, 02:45 AM
well i just hate scratching on techno. 99% of the time it just doesn't go (perhaps someone should create a form of techno where it DOES work ;)) i've never learnt how to scratch, even in the electro days in the 80's I just wasnt interested. personally, i love to watch a DMC video with someone scratching to hip hop or electro (HOW talented is it all eh??!!!!). i love hearing jamie and ben cuase they're different, i love producer doing his thing, but nothing (for me) beats a well mixed set, with personality... where the DJ is using EQ to its full extent to truly mix trax together and cutting the fader out at precisely the right moments. when i'm djing dont' see the need for 'tricks' but i do see the need for 'smooth mixing, plus you're own character, that is gonna be different than the next man'. so you could call that a trick in itself. your own personal trick :clap:

jesus christ mark is that wot you call it character in ya sets :lol: your a mentalist it is a fact ;) fairplay to ya 100% every time ;)

as for jamie and ben kick ass and im still playing the last djz on earth cd i love it. guarantee its in the car on route to a venue pumps you up like a mutha fukka!

by the way ben and jamie if you see this post let us no if there are any more space djz cd complation coming. :rambo:
or where i can download any recorded sets if possible cheers. :clap:

ncw
02-02-2005, 03:30 AM
Just play good records. Don't have to f*ck about.

ncw
02-02-2005, 03:31 AM
Its all about scratching minimal on the bass drum before a drop.
F*ck your wakka wakka wakka sh*te. Nobs.

gumpy green
02-02-2005, 09:01 AM
Just play good records. Don't have to f*ck about.thats the attitude of someone not interested in the art of djing......fair play if your not into djing but for me a bit turntablism in techno sets would work wonders in our scene and could only be a good thing.

gumpy green
02-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Its all about scratching minimal on the bass drum before a drop.
F*ck your wakka wakka wakka sh*te. Nobs. such a nice post.

i aint gonna call you a nob for not cutting........that attitude sucks but lets not get into a slaggin match.......you stay in the 80's, ill be the first to show yaz what im on about...... ;)

ill set the example.

FuK-NuT
02-02-2005, 10:00 AM
DO IT, DO IT, DO IT.....

for me, good tricks/scratches executed properly make a set for me when out clubbing etc...the sets i used to listen to bak in the day where always from guys who totally went for it, just made it more interesting for me...tiz why i always go bennie for a good sekonzo set....not so many tricks etc in my own sets for the simple fact i dont have that many under me belt, but feel ive got this smoothness down so deffo wanna try and get into more technical stuff, find it hard to get into the whole practise one move for hours and not wanting to just "mix" for hours on end....

jon connor
02-02-2005, 02:44 PM
right has anyone here ever seen a umek demonstration ? well i have in estern block records manchester a few year ago. im telling ya. 4 decks doing stuff you only dream of. he ripped the whole shop appart after a all night gig at the music box, cuts double scratch dropings and sum mad stuff with his hands with 4 decks that blew my head off! ( now thats techno turntablism.....also christian varelea another it seems there more of these kinda djs abroad mabey we just lazy bastards in this country and want it easy play sum records on 2 decks or ya lap top or ya cdj`s wot ever is least effort collect ya cash **** off! lazyness its called. ;)

gumpy green
02-02-2005, 02:52 PM
right has anyone here ever seen a umek demonstration ? well i have in estern block records manchester a few year ago. im telling ya. 4 decks doing stuff you only dream of. he ripped the whole shop appart after a all night gig at the music box, cuts double scratch dropings and sum mad stuff with his hands with 4 decks that blew my head off! ( now thats techno turntablism.....also christian varelea another it seems there more of these kinda djs abroad mabey we just lazy bastards in this country and want it easy play sum records on 2 decks or ya lap top or ya cdj`s wot ever is least effort collect ya cash **** off! lazyness its called. ;)

aye lazyness on some folk parts......an folk on here are always saying how techno is about pushing shit forward.....its not just the hardware and software shit that needs pushed.....i mean i could name a few djs thet havent progressed much in 5 yrs....ask yourselve this- have you? if not then start working on it, if yes....BIGUPS.

yup its just soo easy to just let the records do the work for you.....totally agree with ya ther.....id rather see folk useing the records as tools...

also- if umek is doing all this crazy stuff , how come when i saw him it was pretty standard stuff, with the odd cutter/transform fx thrown in..
is it the case that that theyll go for it in bedrooms etc but wont do it live?..if so, that needs looking into too......

id be interested to hear a umek set if he does this stuff cos ive a couple(not much) and i never spotted any of this going down......

i wish to be prooved wrong.....i so wanna be wrong......would luv to see it

dirty_bass
02-02-2005, 03:10 PM
I think the sound of a record being played backwards and forwards relatively quickly in time to the music is not exactly progression.
It`s ooooooooooold shit.
Not exactly a new sound is it.
Heard one scratch, heard em all.
there is so much more you can do with technology.
I think the whole turntablism is more about Ego than music.
A DJ is there to play the music that the people wanna hear, and make it a little exciting to enhance the dance ambience.
Wanking off endlessly over a record to say "hey, look at me, I`m great" , can be tiresome.
Good music is first and foremost, the most important thing.
Unfortunately, too many DJ`s are making music, well, loops, and this is sooo boring the only way to make it interesting is to do shit over the top of it.

koma
02-02-2005, 03:11 PM
last 2 times i heard Umek he was killing the music with bunch of fx's..

but in 2001. when I saw him live he was great.. plus much better selection of music than today (IMO)

cristian varela, yeah.. some amazing mixes from him can be found on net..

anybody heard Headroom live on 6 decks?

ps. the number of turntables doesnt really matter to me.. dj with some knowledge can create magic even on just two..

gumpy green
02-02-2005, 03:31 PM
I think the sound of a record being played backwards and forwards relatively quickly in time to the music is not exactly progression.
It`s ooooooooooold shit.
Not exactly a new sound is it.
Heard one scratch, heard em all.
there is so much more you can do with technology.
I think the whole turntablism is more about Ego than music.
A DJ is there to play the music that the people wanna hear, and make it a little exciting to enhance the dance ambience.
Wanking off endlessly over a record to say "hey, look at me, I`m great" , can be tiresome.
Good music is first and foremost, the most important thing.
Unfortunately, too many DJ`s are making music, well, loops, and this is sooo boring the only way to make it interesting is to do shit over the top of it.

skraching is only a little older than techno, no doubt, so i totally disagre with ya on the first point....you can cut ANY sample in infinate no of ways so it can always be flipped differnent.....ive got records made entilry from skracthing samples....and in no way do the sound the same...the drummin is differnet from the bassline i assure you.

my dad says the same about techno- it all sounds the same.....its maybe he just dont understand it...maybe you havent looked deep enuf into turntablism.....

i dont think you can say - "there is so much more you can do with technology."..ther are infinate possiblities with each...

turntablism=ego.... lol..... just look at flare, hes one of the best in skratchers and doesnt even perform(only time you hear him is in bedrooms etc), and if you were into turntabism you would see that very little have ego's...they do it for the luv.

Wanking off endlessly over a record to say "hey, look at me, I`m great" , can be tiresome. yup totally, but flippin it so it sounds differnent(in a good way) maybe once every 4 tracks for the period of a break wouldnt......

yup ther are alot of loops comin out but they have ther uses.......and i do agree ther need to be a little more thought going into alot of folks work.....its just as nice to hear a well made SONG.

Stuart
02-02-2005, 03:32 PM
last 2 times i heard Umek he was killing the music with bunch of fx's..

Thats Basically what dave clarke does with the djm 600 which pisses me off.

Hes a great dj but I hate the efx that are contiually used on each track, he now rarely mixes just ends up with a loop from the current record and then brings the next one in on efx.

jon connor
02-02-2005, 03:46 PM

aye lazyness on some folk parts......an folk on here are always saying how techno is about pushing shit forward.....its not just the hardware and software shit that needs pushed.....i mean i could name a few djs thet havent progressed much in 5 yrs....ask yourselve this- have you? if not then start working on it, if yes....BIGUPS.

yup its just soo easy to just let the records do the work for you.....totally agree with ya ther.....id rather see folk useing the records as tools...

also- if umek is doing all this crazy stuff , how come when i saw him it was pretty standard stuff, with the odd cutter/transform fx thrown in..
is it the case that that theyll go for it in bedrooms etc but wont do it live?..if so, that needs looking into too......

id be interested to hear a umek set if he does this stuff cos ive a couple(not much) and i never spotted any of this going down......

i wish to be prooved wrong.....i so wanna be wrong......would luv to see it

yea grumpy i aint heard much action when on in events much ....but as mark explains in post above we tend to mix quite diffrent wen live on the turntables its like a play safe game. wen you got the dance floor flying it seems silly to start messing about. personaly i think umek has no need to deliver his skills and tricks no more due to the fact of his now popular superstar status, but trust me geeza if you ever see him do it will blow you away. dave clarke another now this comes back to marks point again. yes dave blew me away but i found wen at a gig in cardiff with him a few year ago his decks and turntable work was exellent but i found the crowd dident no wot to do with them selves on the dance floor.there was no flow he did a kinda djs dj set. it was great for me to watch and learn but i also learnt it disruppted the crowd sending them into confusion and no general flow in the club.
i think the main thing is to have overall control and general individuality in the set there are many tricks and stuff i do myself but i tend to cut them down wen on a more profesional gig, rather than lets say a free party.

there was a great demonstration on here a while back of dj ogi its a good techno demonstration keeping things simple and overall control .

Dj Ogi live in club Boogaloo part I
Dj Ogi live in club Boogaloo part II
Dj Ogi live in club Boogaloo part III
Dj Ogi live in club Boogaloo part IV

dirty_bass
02-02-2005, 03:52 PM
skraching is only a little older than techno, no doubt, so i totally disagre with ya on the first point....you can cut ANY sample in infinate no of ways so it can always be flipped differnent.....ive got records made entilry from skracthing samples....and in no way do the sound the same...the drummin is differnet from the bassline i assure you.

my dad says the same about techno- it all sounds the same.....its maybe he just dont understand it...maybe you havent looked deep enuf into turntablism.....

i dont think you can say - "there is so much more you can do with technology."..ther are infinate possiblities with each...

turntablism=ego.... lol..... just look at flare, hes one of the best in skratchers and doesnt even perform(only time you hear him is in bedrooms etc), and if you were into turntabism you would see that very little have ego's...they do it for the luv.

Wanking off endlessly over a record to say "hey, look at me, I`m great" , can be tiresome. yup totally, but flippin it so it sounds differnent(in a good way) maybe once every 4 tracks for the period of a break wouldnt......

yup ther are alot of loops comin out but they have ther uses.......and i do agree ther need to be a little more thought going into alot of folks work.....its just as nice to hear a well made SONG.

Well, I grew up through turntablism, but that was years ago, I like the Invisible Scratch Pickles a bit at the mo, and most of the crew I was with during the early hardcore/jungle years, were proper funkateers.

But it`s just old to me. Im not saying it`s a bad thing, but I really don`t think it goes with techno.
If it did, there would be more producers programming scratching into their tracks.
I think it sounds cheesy.

I think what you are doing on the decks is pretty cool, but any more would be overdoing it.

And as for turntablists not being egotistical. I think ALL Djing is to a certain level, ego driven.
I mean, how the hell did glorified juke-boxes get to such an elevated level in this day an age?
All we are doing is playing other peoples music, and finally the hype of the 90`s is slowly going away. Lets not overblow what it is.

jon connor
02-02-2005, 03:53 PM
woooooooooooooo!!! sorry guys links no longer in action. :doh:

gumpy green
02-02-2005, 04:10 PM
Well, I grew up through turntablism, but that was years ago, I like the Invisible Scratch Pickles a bit at the mo, and most of the crew I was with during the early hardcore/jungle years, were proper funkateers.

But it`s just old to me. Im not saying it`s a bad thing, but I really don`t think it goes with techno.
If it did, there would be more producers programming scratching into their tracks.
I think it sounds cheesy.

I think what you are doing on the decks is pretty cool, but any more would be overdoing it.

And as for turntablists not being egotistical. I think ALL Djing is to a certain level, ego driven.
I mean, how the hell did glorified juke-boxes get to such an elevated level in this day an age?
All we are doing is playing other peoples music, and finally the hype of the 90`s is slowly going away. Lets not overblow what it is.

good debate man..

yup, i agree that cutting over most techno does sound shite.....well just REALLY hard to make it sound good....i struggle to do it.... thats why i usually drop a hiphop/hardtek/noize track to do it over and only do it when i think the crowd need a min rest....oh and yes skratch vocal etc over techno tracks sound cheesy, starts to sound like hard hoose.

thanks about my djing.....i plan on doing more tricks but wanna make em sound cleaner so it does sound like less........more is less ;) . Hopefully juggle two looked groove but the listener wouldnt even know unless they saw......would just sound like a remix or whatever loop.

Ego- a bit.....id be lying if i didnt say i like the fact im up ther.....but i still would do it even if i never left the house....i honestly luv djing so much....its my passion...b4 techno.

An yup how the fuk do they get away with " glorified juke-boxes @ such an elevated level in this day an age?"...totally agree, it needs to stop.

dirty_bass
02-02-2005, 04:56 PM
yeah, was a good debate.
you certianly know your stuff anyway, I`m sure whatever you do will work, cos you got your feet on the ground.
There are however a lot of eedjits out there who may just wank themselves off a bit too far.

As for coming up with Seb, unfortunately, I got bookings that weekend so I can`t come party with you boys (which I was looking forward to).
But I may be able to come up with Jeff.

koma
02-02-2005, 04:56 PM
there was a great demonstration on here a while back of dj ogi its a good techno demonstration keeping things simple and overall control .

oh man, everyone on earth has this mix - except me :doh:
but I was there, so I could witnessed it in first row ;)

gumpy green
02-02-2005, 05:20 PM
yeah, was a good debate.
you certianly know your stuff anyway, I`m sure whatever you do will work, cos you got your feet on the ground.
There are however a lot of eedjits out there who may just wank themselves off a bit too far.

As for coming up with Seb, unfortunately, I got bookings that weekend so I can`t come party with you boys (which I was looking forward to).
But I may be able to come up with Jeff.

thanks man. again agree-to many edjits...i remeber one free party we let some djs on the rig and all they did was spin backs...like every track...prob more than that.....it was a classic wanking off toomuch..... :dontevengothere:

pity you cant come up with seb, hope your booking goes well tho.....any far far away special gig?

aye defo try come with jeff.... 7th may......

canny wait for both of them ther gonna be such good sets....

oh, .ive still to get all the audio and photos from your gig to u ....got em on pc just need to burn a copy and get it to you....

gumpy green
02-02-2005, 05:20 PM

oh man, everyone on earth has this mix - except me :doh:
but I was there, so I could witnessed it in first row ;)

soulseek brutha...im sure itll be ther.

marginmaster
02-02-2005, 07:27 PM
i think scratching can sound quality in a techno set, as long as its done well. guys like Damage, Clarke, space djz and claude young do it and it sounds great, not overdone but it can spice things up i reckon.

recoil
02-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Perhaps people (including me) take music way too seriously, it's still entertainment..

The only turntablism I heard from the Space DJz is Ben Long taking 2 Adam Beyer's Vocal Image and play with them :) The rest they just mix very fast with lots of scratches and fader work..

AcidTrash
03-02-2005, 02:03 AM

Totally agree. I really get pissed off when a guy I know who waits for the messed up bits in cluster tunes and then applies an effect on the DJM 600 and then mimes like he's making that happen. What a tool.

jon connor
03-02-2005, 01:19 PM
bit of scatching over techno ..chek these out ....a couple of clips off a recent set ;)

http://supertech.altervista.org/scratch%20demo%201.wav

http://supertech.altervista.org/scratch%20demo%202.wav

gota av a blast! short and sweat is just enough i think.....see if you guys like. :eh:

gumpy green
03-02-2005, 01:54 PM
bit of scatching over techno ..chek these out ....a couple of clips off a recent set ;)

http://supertech.altervista.org/scratch%20demo%201.wav

http://supertech.altervista.org/scratch%20demo%202.wav

gota av a blast! short and sweat is just enough i think.....see if you guys like. :eh:

first one sounds ok......second one- no audio??

the cuts are flowing over the beat quite nice but the skratches are very very basic....ther "baby" and "stab" skratches. Im wanting to hear double timed orbits and various combos that involve extreme musical timing. double timed record movements mixed with half time fader cuts....

good stuff putting the audio up......im gonna get some audio up to support my stand point..

Props out john........

gumpy green
03-02-2005, 02:19 PM
here 2 examples froma recent set i played @ jakN,edinburgh(dec)

1. This example shows jugglin with a beat stutter fx b4 the kicks com in, just to tease the crowd a couple of bars (http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/temp/sekonz_juggle_with_fx_intro.mp3)

2.This one shows some cutting over hardtek and the transition(sample trigger fx) from techno to hardtek........some flaring and chirps going on....still no wher near the level i want within techno. (http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/temp/sekonz_skratch_example.mp3)

i shall post some more examples to strenghing my points.....

gumpy green
03-02-2005, 02:21 PM
btw way the skatach one is under 3.5mb and the juggle is only 1.6mb so will dl quick...

gumpy green
03-02-2005, 02:53 PM
3. Here is an example of my Micheal Forshaw - Nervehammer routine then into a skratch over a glenn wison(valve) beat...one of his weird(er) ones on compound (http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/temp/)

this is taking from my set at a night called Dirt Houz...again in edinburgh....oh and its a wee bit longer at 6.8Mb

The nervehammer routine is a classic example of how to rmx/fuk with the vinyl and still keep them dancing.....in fact they went ape shit after the juggle on the short break when it kicked back in....made them just wait a little for the beat to come back in, just enuf to appreciate it when it did......the skratching bit was to give em a wee rest...cos they had just been "lifted"...

fitipaldi
03-02-2005, 03:33 PM
hardtek

:lol:

schlongfingers
03-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Hardtek - Spiral Tribe.

I guess you don't want them at your techno nights either...

gumpy green
03-02-2005, 03:44 PM
eh........ hardtek = the french free party tekno sound..... crystal distortion, spirl tribe, etc etc....

and yes i have had hardtek at my night twice and once agin comin up next month....pzeko vrs 1QLP (33split) from france...

BUT- whats that got to do with having this contructive debate about pusihng djing forward within techno????????

who cares what its called, its the dj skills were debating....why not listen to the examples and com back with some constructive comment.

schlongfingers
03-02-2005, 03:54 PM
eh........ hardtek = the french free party tekno sound..... crystal distortion, spirl tribe, etc etc....

and yes i have had hardtek at my night twice and once agin comin up next month....pzeko vrs 1QLP (33split) from france...

BUT- whats that got to do with having this contructive debate about pusihng djing forward within techno????????

who cares what its called, its the dj skills were debating....why not listen to the examples and com back with some constructive comment.

@ Gumpty Green my 'at your techno nights' comment was directed at fitipaldi btw

I reckon iit is kind of relevant to DJ skills, I think alongside technique of whatever kind it's also a skill to be able mix between all kinds of styles in a set - techno, hardtek, electro, breakcore whatever whilst maintaining momentum - sounds wicked when done well.

gumpy green
03-02-2005, 04:03 PM
@ Gumpty Green my 'at your techno nights' comment was directed at fitipaldi btw

I reckon iit is kind of relevant to DJ skills, I think alongside technique of whatever kind it's also a skill to be able mix between all kinds of styles in a set - techno, hardtek, electro, breakcore whatever whilst maintaining momentum - sounds wicked when done well.

thought it was at fitipaldi, my reply was just incase...

yup me luves when its not just 145-150pbm hard loopy techn ALL the way..

youll prob appreciate the them examples as i do switch between music styles to do the tricks......and use fx etc for the transition from 145-200bpm....as you canny beatmatch em.

fitipaldi
03-02-2005, 04:05 PM
i'm not into the stuff you play so I won't comment. ;)

I'm more of a power rave tekno man myself

fitipaldi
03-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Hardtek - Spiral Tribe.

I guess you don't want them at your techno nights either...

I don't have any techno nights

gumpy green
03-02-2005, 04:08 PM
i'm not into the stuff you play so I won't comment. ;)

I'm more of a power rave tekno man myself

yet you have a drumcode avar?????strange ive been known to mix drumcode ;)

FuK-NuT
03-02-2005, 04:09 PM
wot is "power rave tekno" sounds camp as fuk....;)

fitipaldi
03-02-2005, 04:15 PM

it is, its a new branch of power tekno harder than your average tekno but more ravey.

gumpy green
03-02-2005, 04:21 PM

it is, its a new branch of power tekno harder than your average tekno but more ravey.

im trying to do something positive here FOR THE SCENE, please take these silly comments that are in no way doing any good away......the post is starting to wander already to "banter" talk.

please get back on the program or head to the cell block h section to talk about this "power tekno nonsence"....

sure, banter is good but im trying to have a serios disscusion about something VERY important to me......and should be to real tek headz BTW.

Frank Dogshit
03-02-2005, 04:26 PM
:roll:

fitipaldi
03-02-2005, 04:27 PM
sorry mate, i will stop, what I am getting at has nothing to with DJ skills so I won't comment furthur.

FuK-NuT
03-02-2005, 04:32 PM
my appologies also....good debate, carry on.... :)

gumpy green
03-02-2005, 04:32 PM
sorry mate, i will stop, what I am getting at has nothing to with DJ skills so I won't comment furthur.no problem m8.......fell free to post a new thread if you wanna get your point across to me, always up for the debate......cheers

dirty_bass
03-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Just listened.
I still think scratching sounds cheesy and 80`s
But the other stuff I like.

The Overfiend
03-02-2005, 07:15 PM
:oops:
I think dance music should flow,
when i would shake ass at nyc clubs an shit when i first got into this
if you scratched or did anything like the sorts other than a flawless seamless blend a homo would throw a dildo at you
literally were talking disco 2000 days man.

gumpy green
03-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Just listened.
I still think scratching sounds cheesy and 80`s
But the other stuff I like.

nice one......

i cant see/hear how its cheesy, but thats just a personal taste thing, glad you said it tho, ill keep that in mind when trying to get cuts over techno beats.

sos- ima get ove to nyc , need a new dildo..... ;) sounds crazy but again this goes back to my point that techno jocks arent/werent doing it so if they tryed it, it prob did sound shit....

still waiting on that young board member reading thats gonna hear these examples, feel inspired and get to work, then come back in 5yrs and show me what ive been wanting to hear....

cmon i wanna here the hyper drummin over a track like this drumless jeroen track( i cant remeber what its called but ya get ma drift).....no drums on the track just melody/bass line.. ... well possible to cut crazy electo/warped drum under it using a bar from some other electro break.....

dirty_bass
03-02-2005, 08:36 PM
It`s not a diss. I just hear scratchin, and it takes me back to my breakdance days when I was a kid, so to me, it`s not innovation.
However to someone younger, it may be.

loopdon
03-02-2005, 11:15 PM
here 2 examples froma recent set i played @ jakN,edinburgh(dec)

1. This example shows jugglin with a beat stutter fx b4 the kicks com in, just to tease the crowd a couple of bars (http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/temp/sekonz_juggle_with_fx_intro.mp3)

2.This one shows some cutting over hardtek and the transition(sample trigger fx) from techno to hardtek........some flaring and chirps going on....still no wher near the level i want within techno. (http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/temp/sekonz_skratch_example.mp3)

i shall post some more examples to strenghing my points.....

not listened yet, but know exactly what you're on about, m8.

taking it to anew level, hehe :rambo:

but you have to take care you don't overdo it (dmc-style), i once saw a dj here with a hiphop background scratching over tech and it was kool. not only basic scratches there, it can be done. :rambo:

Stuart
04-02-2005, 10:00 AM
At the end of the day Dj'ing is about being able to keep a dance floor moving and pleasing the crowd. However you choose to do it, that should always be your key focus.

jon connor
04-02-2005, 12:44 PM
At the end of the day Dj'ing is about being able to keep a dance floor moving and pleasing the crowd. However you choose to do it, that should always be your key focus.

yea agreed its how to spot a pro......

i like a more animal aproach with techno rather than just plain blending jeff mills was a big influence to me at a young age ..i like to see the jock getting down to bisiness mark eg is a classic...a nightmare to play b2b with or come on the decks after him as the whole dj box is absolute carnage . :lol: but hay individuality always works....fair play to ya grumpy good post this good luck to ya man... ;)

jon connor
04-02-2005, 12:50 PM
just thinking will have to start making up names for tricks or somthing hahahahahah!! like snow boarders do only make them interesting like instead of a back tail flip more of a backtail curly wipp! :lol: also known as the free party spinback :lol: i duno i leave it with ya just thought ad a bit of fun to this post.......new tricks need new names :lol:

gumpy green
04-02-2005, 01:05 PM
just thinking will have to start making up names for tricks or somthing hahahahahah!! like snow boarders do only make them interesting like instead of a back tail flip more of a backtail curly wipp! :lol: also known as the free party spinback :lol: i duno i leave it with ya just thought ad a bit of fun to this post.......new tricks need new names :lol:

yup defo....im planning on knocking up a dj technique guide so ill make up names ;)

ther are names for skratches if anybody wants to learn what they are and hopefully put into practice check these-

http://www.asisphonics.net/skratchtutorial.html

take you from babys right through to complex shit like delayed flares---cutting 3/4 over a 4/4 beat....and hyperdrummin......learn em if you wish..... thers good audio to accompiny it too.....

all courtisy of the unknown skracther -aliasosity....what a talented skratcher he is.....adn hes unknown....nobody knows who he is....

gumpy green
04-02-2005, 02:32 PM
readin that should show you that skratching aint got limits and has loads of room for innovation...

as a main part of the techno scence (djing) i think we are sleeping on this artform within our own scene.... were pushing production and live pa along nicely, infact very well......but sleepin on djing...IMO

turntablism is not always skratching......anything that requires musical co-ordination.......... so its more "musical" really than techno ;) ...its humans manually doing things "musically" not programming.

serox
04-02-2005, 04:21 PM

gumpy green wrote:

fitipaldi

leave the scratching and tricks to hip-hop. techno for me is all about seemless mixing, with records i like to hear.

gumpy green
04-02-2005, 04:29 PM
so techno has reached its limits on the artform of djing.....NO CHANCE

Its can be seemless with very high artistict qualitys......

So you cant enhance tracks or make them just a bit differnet by applying skill on the tables...????? think youz folk with this attitude should just press play let the track play hit stop and the same with the next....and then again.....you aint got NO VISION of the future.......

I honestly think just becuase you havent saw it done youz are against it so nobody is gonna do it....the vicious cirlce......

I will change enuf folks minds one day to make this sub section of techno much more valuable.

serox check the juggle examples....dont you think that style could be pushed so far???

gumpy green
04-02-2005, 04:35 PM
this dude came to our night and experienced it first hand....im actually pleased that someone from the crowd could pick up so much, thers alot who just dont care about nuthin other than getting fuked on drugs.....

anwyas its a rough traslation using a web translator-

"
Of ahi we went with Joha to Jak-N, one night of hard techno well underground in The Venue, and I surpass all our expectations. Sekonz, dj of 20 anios bright scratcheando itself on techno hardly very dark. But its tecnica was not insistent, nor obvious like in much of hip hop. Towards opportunely, and in a while it did it with two copies of the same vinyl, scratcheando with one on the other, stopping the disc and released first, to scratchear with the second without the transition noticed. A monster. Despues followed Fuk Nut, not as much full tecnica but the track, and 6tmA, with drum ' n bass with base hardcore and hard techno with very interesting adjustments, hardly perceivable frequencies and very good adjustments. "

taken from http://trauma-informs.blogspot.com/2003_12_01_trauma-informs_archive.html

The spanish know whats up.....im a monster....lol, like that one...

jon connor
04-02-2005, 04:42 PM
check out luke mcmillan a.k.a the dj producer . :rambo: hes the man for this kinda stuff! probably 1 of the best turntableists in the country for techno + hardcore . although its rare you catch him doing much techno sets these days.

serox
04-02-2005, 04:52 PM
sorry gumpy, i like records that need no improvment:) i cannot stand hearing som1 pushing every button on the mixer or scratching a record that sounds 10x better b4 he started to fu k around. each to there own tho, some kids like it.

gumpy green
04-02-2005, 05:35 PM
suppose each to ther own.......

brings me to think - so why even bother mixin....why do folk wanna use 3 decks if all they wanna do is hear the music on its own.....

we could just make complimation cds and stick them on at nights.

im havin trouble understanding the limits some folk within techno are putting on the djing aspect of their scene...its been pretty stagnated for yrs.

i really do wonder why.

in hiphop they seem to care about all aspects of it and always try to improve shit......from braking to beatboxin... altho i think battles have ALOT to do with the skill level of the djs/turntablists...battles push the person to push themselves or basically theyll loose....hence the art form progrsses....maybe techno needs some battles, i dunno.......

dirty_bass
04-02-2005, 06:52 PM
I don`t see why DJing in techno needs to progress. the music needs to progress, the DJ`s could do with playing a broader variety, but other than that, I don`t see a real need for progression.
The tricks impress no-one but other DJ`s
It`s like talking loads of crap about cars to people who know nothing about them, when all they want is a lift to the station.
Loop techno is dying, ask any record shop owner.
It`s this type of music, that is conducive to DJ tricks, cos it`s boring, does sod all, and is easy to mix.
Pure DJ tool.
Good music should be left alone.
I hate putting loads of effort into a tune, putting in loads of clever edits, reverses, stutters, flanges etc, and hearing some geezer farting about all over the top of it, it just makes you think why do I bother, I may as well make loop grooves"

A little bit of flare hear and there is fine, but really, it`s all about the music, and not about the DJ.

gumpy green
04-02-2005, 07:36 PM
all aspects need to contantely progress IMO...or soon it becomes boring which is what is happening to me when i see most dj performances, not all ill add.

tricks arent ther to impress, collectively along with the records played theyr ART that is a mixtape or set/live performance...

its like saying a fast trigger of a sample like when speedy j is jammin is theryr to impres, its not....its ther to fuk with your head.....like his live bit on loudboxer for example......i dont think he did it to impress noone , but it does none the less, i luv that bit so much....proper headfukin jammin.....can be done on tables aswell.

and yes, if ther is a track that just sounds so good on it own id leave it well along....but alot of techno isnt, i think it need a wee bit flare.....

i can see our different stand points DB

Dj vrs Producer.

i think records are ther for me to fuk with(make my art)....you see djs as a medium to play your art how you intended.......whos right,, how can we both be and still be artists? ;)

Stella Boy
04-02-2005, 07:48 PM
[quote="gumpy green"]and yes, if ther is a track that just sounds so good on it own id leave it well along....but alot of techno isnt, i think it need a wee bit flare.....quote]

There is hell of alot if techno around at the moment which is superb, stuff which still makes the hairs on my arms reach up so to say alot of techno isn't good enough to leave alone says to me you aint buying the right kinda techno.

gumpy green
04-02-2005, 08:50 PM
ok then well just play your techno from start to finish, dont even mix then.....folk like me see it differnetly... i do see alot of my record as nuthing but tools, maybe thats why i buy em in the first place...so if thats the case i am buying the right techno for my art dont you think...... and it is the case mostely.

plus im more interested in getting others to help push it forward than talking about my sets...

ds2
04-02-2005, 09:00 PM
grumpy,
first you complain there aren't any trax good enough to play all the way through. when questioned on what you buy/listen to you come back with "i buy and play tools"..."cos i'm a proper dj, like"

so like lady boy said, you're obviously listening to the wrong records.

gumpy green
04-02-2005, 09:08 PM
..first off i said alot of techno , so that dont mean all.

then again i go onto saying
see alot of my record as nuthing but tools, maybe thats why i buy em in the first place...so if thats the case i am buying the right techno for my art dont you think...... and it is the case mostely

mostely, i said....as as artist (not a proper dj, if ther is such a thing) most of the stuff i buy is for my art.

stop hating on me for the sake of it..... im trying to bring a positve thing across....

jon connor
04-02-2005, 09:33 PM
this girl can do sum tricks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
can do sum nifty hand and finger work to. :love:

more naked girls playing techno please :love: :love: :love:

http://supertech.altervista.org/album_pic.jpg

jon connor
04-02-2005, 09:35 PM
[/url]http://supertech.altervista.org/album_pic.jpg

xfive
04-02-2005, 09:36 PM

:love: :clap: :love: :clap: :lol:

Stella Boy
04-02-2005, 10:07 PM

see alot of my record as nuthing but tools, maybe thats why i buy em in the first place...so if thats the case i am buying the right techno for my art dont you think...... and it is the case mostely

mostely, i said....as as artist (not a proper dj, if ther is such a thing) most of the stuff i buy is for my art.

stop hating on me for the sake of it..... im trying to bring a positve thing across....

I don't think there's any hating towards you dude, just getting a point across like you are. ;)

You talk about art and I really appreciate where you are coming from but for me, a true art in dj'ing is playing a 3 hour set and holding the crowd for the whole time, hanging off every single mix and wondering what track will be dropped next :neutral:

ds2
04-02-2005, 10:12 PM

no one's hating you mate. just arguing.

you said "alot" but the way you phrased the argument it came across as "most".

you're contradicting yourself by saying there's no good music you can play all the way through and then following it up saying you only buy tools for your art????

what you're basically saying is your art doesn't allow you to buy strong trax that can be played for along time without the crowd going to sleep...

The Overfiend
04-02-2005, 10:34 PM
http://www.campeb.org/images/2003pics/2003pics/week8/photogs/taylor%20chadwick%20-%20noodle%20fight.jpg

Chill Bitches :headache:

Stella Boy
04-02-2005, 10:35 PM

very nice but i couldn't cope with that in a club. pleasure overload X100%

Stella Boy
04-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Sam - Just having a discussion which I feel is quite justified bearing in mind the difference in opinions. No disrespect to you but there's no need to post pics like that when people are talking about somehting which they feel strongly about.

gumpy green
04-02-2005, 11:09 PM

ok ill say no more , prob said enuf to warp someones on the boards thought about djing.....get them working more musically on the tables, hope so. if not check the intro on this, just stream it so you dont waste time on my shite techno (http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/mp3/sekonz_live_at_jakn150105.mp3)....im doing the bassline thingy....was live so coulve been tighter

ther aint no biitterness from anybody just a good debate from different view points.....i respect their views.....but mines are different..... im all up for hearing it.

Ive actually gained some good points from this debate.

Was still interested on what folks think about speed j whan he jams it....i think its FUKIN TREMENDOES and totally fuks with yer head on the dancefloor......or should he just let it play?

ds2
04-02-2005, 11:10 PM

very nice but i couldn't cope with that in a club. pleasure overload X100%

i could cope with that no problem. it'd bring a whole new meaning to the phrase "that club was full of wankers last night" though...

The Overfiend
04-02-2005, 11:13 PM
Sam - Just having a discussion which I feel is quite justified bearing in mind the difference in opinions. No disrespect to you but there's no need to post pics like that when people are talking about somehting which they feel strongly about.

Coming from the guy who drooled over the finger riddled dj? ;) :lol:

Stella Boy
04-02-2005, 11:20 PM
hahaha :lol:

That was a different topic and sorry for being too "all over the place" with what I want to get serious about, it's just I thought this was a free discussion forum designed to express objective opinions when the poster felt fit ( sometimes anyway ;) )

The Overfiend
04-02-2005, 11:24 PM
it is I am just trying to prevent people slaggin each other cause it was gettin hot, and what i said wasnt even directed at you chill pill :eh:

Stella Boy
04-02-2005, 11:39 PM
You quoted my post as a referral Sam that's why I posted my response :eh:

ds2
04-02-2005, 11:44 PM

less of this namby pamby i'm sorry, no i'm sorry, no i am blah blah...
just chin him and be done with it :evil: :lol:

The Overfiend
04-02-2005, 11:46 PM
This is like the miller lite commerical
tastes great less filling. :doh:

Stella Boy
04-02-2005, 11:52 PM

less of this namby pamby i'm sorry, no i'm sorry, no i am blah blah...
just chin him and be done with it :evil: :lol:

Nah, he's in the states so it's a long way to travel to get battered by a walking tank. The guys arms are larger than my postcode area ;)

Still, I don't have to agree with his quote :lol:

fitipaldi
05-02-2005, 11:14 AM

ok ill say no more , prob said enuf to warp someones on the boards thought about djing.....get them working more musically on the tables, hope so. if not check the intro on this, just stream it so you dont waste time on my shite techno (http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/mp3/sekonz_live_at_jakn150105.mp3)....im doing the bassline thingy....was live so coulve been tighter

ther aint no biitterness from anybody just a good debate from different view points.....i respect their views.....but mines are different..... im all up for hearing it.

Ive actually gained some good points from this debate.

Was still interested on what folks think about speed j whan he jams it....i think its FUKIN TREMENDOES and totally fuks with yer head on the dancefloor......or should he just let it play?

speedy j doesn't dj tho

gumpy green
05-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Was still interested on what folks think about speedy j whan he jams it....i think its FUKIN TREMENDOES and totally fuks with yer head on the dancefloor......or should he just let it play?

art at its finest IMO.....its all about ther and then, the guys in total control, real time jammin...boootiful ......and by the sound of the crowd they are luvin it...ther srceaming and shouting cos they know ther witnessing summin special...

in fact when i saw him at dogma and he finished the last 10mins of that is what he was doing...........and the place went off bigtime....think i lost total control at the point......bigups johan

speedy j doesn't dj tho yes i know, ive been ther and saw him..fuks sake...his jamms are one of my bigest influences and can be adapted to the tables...if yav got the skillz.......

folks are very keen to try and bring me down here......looking for any minor point they can......in fact your bringing up shit against me i aint even said...did i say sj djed.....NO......

was using this as an example of what djs COULD be able to do , with 2 copys sum juggling/looping and an fx box......or guess what we could just let the music play....

jon connor
05-02-2005, 11:48 AM
chill winstons the post going nuts :bash: i think you all should play how you want to play however you see fit wot ever turns you on be diffrent individual efforts if you rock you rock if you dont the crowd will soon let you no and the line of train spotting inthusyastes lined up in the club just waiting to hear a mistake to rip the ass outa ya! :shock: hahahahah!!!!! wot ever you guys do in your sets make sure its at a profesional level and you wont go far wrong.. :rambo:

fitipaldi
05-02-2005, 12:41 PM
speedy j is amazing

Mindful
05-02-2005, 01:40 PM
I can deffo see where grumpy is comming from I dont think he's talking about just doing a bit of scrathing pissing about with effects or showing off he is talking about creating somthing musicaly new with the tools infront of him(And I know that turntablism isnt new im talking about what those records would be like when played stand alone) and he's not talking about doing it constantly thruout a set just a bit of your own editing so that he is not just playing other peeps records putting a personal touch to somthing.
I personaly have never seen a record that says"this record must be played untouched with no pissing about for a 5 min duration as the producer intended"
You can not tell somone that djs just play sombody elses music and then complain when they play it their way.

This is just my superior opinion :lol: (thats a joke btw)

Good disscussion people :clap:

koma
05-02-2005, 01:51 PM

shame on you, posting stuff like that in this serious discussion.. http://www.forum.hr/images/smilies/pila.gif

khm.. wants some more? :love: Portia :love:
http://www.on.net.mk/photo/proces/

ontopic.. I already posted my opinion, dunno what could be add to that.. except to agree with jon connor's last post.. do what you feel is the best..

like some say, people are coming to parties for dancing and having fun, most of them dont even notice dj is doing something more than just putting one record after another..

should djing progress from current state? yeah, but up to the every dj himself.. if dj is playing traxx full of sound, with interesting breaks etc, I want to hear them, not fx or scratch.. the less elements are in tracks, mixing should be more intense..

its good people have different thoughts on subject like this... diversity is strenght

gumpy green
05-02-2005, 04:12 PM
I can deffo see where grumpy is comming from I dont think he's talking about just doing a bit of scrathing pissing about with effects or showing off he is talking about creating somthing musicaly new with the tools infront of him(And I know that turntablism isnt new im talking about what those records would be like when played stand alone) and he's not talking about doing it constantly thruout a set just a bit of your own editing so that he is not just playing other peeps records putting a personal touch to somthing.
I personaly have never seen a record that says"this record must be played untouched with no pissing about for a 5 min duration as the producer intended"
You can not tell somone that djs just play sombody elses music and then complain when they play it their way.

This is just my superior opinion :lol: (thats a joke btw)

Good disscussion people :clap:

Yup you see my point...... be a real nice thing to see done well.....dont you think? remixin on the spot.... id defo like to see more when im out an about

gumpy green
05-02-2005, 04:17 PM
ing progress from current state? yeah, but up to the every dj himself.. if dj is playing traxx full of sound, with interesting breaks etc, I want to hear them, not fx or scratch.. the less elements are in tracks, mixing should be more intense..

its good people have different thoughts on subject like this... diversity is strenght

thats is generally what would happen .....djs would have to get some stripped down loops , mash em up with a bit fx and record manipulation to create a piece/set/routine.....thats uniquie to them.

jon connor
05-02-2005, 07:05 PM
ing progress from current state? yeah, but up to the every dj himself.. if dj is playing traxx full of sound, with interesting breaks etc, I want to hear them, not fx or scratch.. the less elements are in tracks, mixing should be more intense..

thats is generally what would happen .....djs would have to get some stripped down loops , mash em up with a bit fx and record manipulation to create a piece/set/routine.....thats uniquie to them.

that is the whole reason i like glen wilsons tackle. he provides the tools for the job meanwile adding more stuff of your own to personalize your set. :rambo: kick ass styly! :cool:

278d7e64a374de26f==