PDA

View Full Version : I've flogged my mackie 1402 and now need...

yeswehavetheright
02-02-2005, 10:32 AM
... some kind of quality outboard line fader type thingy that I can plug in between my PC and my monitors.
It's basically to stop me blowing my ears off and scaring the sh*t out of me when I get those sudden volume changes.
I've got an old gemini mixer but I'm defo not using that.
Is there owt you can get that wont colour the sound, is fairly cheap and can just be plugged straight in (standard phono) without any p*ssing about whatsoever? And doesn't take up much room but can be placed on a desk without falling over?
Cheers!!!!!
Chris

fresh_an_funky_design
02-02-2005, 12:09 PM
why did you sell your outboard desk? these mackie 1402 are a pretty good desk for the money

yeswehavetheright
02-02-2005, 12:15 PM
Need every penny I can get my hands on.

Ritzi Lee
02-02-2005, 12:16 PM
what's your gearlist?

yeswehavetheright
02-02-2005, 12:55 PM
The only thing left for sale now is a rather splendid Roland SH-09 which rocks my boat with it's analogue loveliness!!
Offers will be considered!!

If you meant my current setup it's just a 1010LT going straight into my Alesis monitors.

neilried
02-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Bit of a mickey mouse solution but you could just pick up a cheap DJ mixer to do the job if your on a tight budget.

Im without a desk and am using an old ecler DJ mixer to control the line between a Delta 66 and the Alesis active monitors... Has done the job quite nicely for the last few months

Not ideal but has stop me blowing my head off when hitting playback....

Sorry just noticed you said your already doing this.... :doh:

neilried
02-02-2005, 04:37 PM
Errrr dont know if this is possible but might be if you know a soldering guru...

...wot about getting a P&G fader a soldering iron and some shit hot Jack cables and bastardising the lot? could be a bit tricky to do but thinking cheap way of getting a quality fader solution?!?

:oops:

gumpy green
02-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Errrr dont know if this is possible but might be if you know a soldering guru...

...wot about getting a P&G fader a soldering iron and some shit hot Jack cables and bastardising the lot? could be a bit tricky to do but thinking cheap way of getting a quality fader solution?!?

:oops:
dunn if that would work, as P an G are VCA so the sound dont actually go through em...they control a voltage which gets few to an amp whcih controls the level of sound...

plus my p an g is not very "fader" like...its the skracth one on is basically on or off.

im thinking tho that you could do thus with a good quality linear fader tho...dunno if p an g make em......

gumpy green
02-02-2005, 05:29 PM
what about summin like this

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=AV0168710&N=401

from this

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/searchPage2.jsp?N=1000126++401&=0&showImages=true& viewType=null&comSearch=true&manufacturerDisplay=t rue&No=0&showImages=true&viewType=null&comSearch=t rue&manufacturerDisplay=true

you may find summin better in ther...

neilried
02-02-2005, 05:30 PM
im thinking tho that you could do thus with a good quality linear fader tho...dunno if p an g make em......

Picked P&G for their renouned quality but never used one so didnt know that cheers.... A high quality analog fader would do it... what about the desk you just had, do mackie do spares for that or some of their older analog gear?

neilried
02-02-2005, 05:52 PM

Picked P&G for their renouned quality but never used one so didnt know that cheers.... A high quality analog fader would do it... what about the desk you just had, do mackie do spares for that or some of their older analog gear?

Basil Rush
02-02-2005, 08:05 PM
Old DAT/Minidisk etc record level knob is a good standby ... you can plug the amp into the outputs and put 'em in record pause and turn the level knob up and down, usually works at a push if you've got a spare old machine around...

loopdon
05-02-2005, 09:23 AM
hey, basil, that trick has been useful for me many a time. :crackup:

278d7e64a374de26f==