PDA

View Full Version : My first track- looking for feedback

gumpy green
04-02-2005, 10:43 AM
here -

Sekonz - Deep in the mud (http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/temp/deep%20in%20the%20mud2.mp3)

i wanna get feeback on what ive done wrong, could do better etc cos this is the first time ive put a track together.....

dont go easy on me, the only way to learn is to get good contructive feedback...sometime it may be harsh but i want that....saying that if you do like it let me know too.

many thanks.

AcidMutant
04-02-2005, 11:57 AM
The hats seem to be all over the shop - you could try quantising them to 16ths or 32nds?

The bass line could do with some variation too - either in terms of sound (filter movement, etc.) or notes.

gumpy green
04-02-2005, 01:06 PM
The hats seem to be all over the shop - you could try quantising them to 16ths or 32nds?

The bass line could do with some variation too - either in terms of sound (filter movement, etc.) or notes.

wicked thanks man.....yeh need to learn the delay tricks with the his....

will look into the bassline aswell...it is quite minimal(altho i was wanting that)...

thanks alot for the feeeback, very appreciated..

gumpy green
04-02-2005, 02:26 PM

btw- to quantising them to 16ths or 32nd- how ?

im only using the delay fx unit. and the setting on ther dont let ya quantise em to 16th etc....do you do that on the seq data perhanps?

i need to wait till tonight to try see.....

AcidMutant
04-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Quantising is a sequencer feature - to push/pull the beats onto the right points if they're slightly out.

If it's the delay causing the problem then there's certain things you can do

1) Midi Delay
Copy the hihat pattern onto another track and offset by a few beats. If your using a real drum machine this might not be the best idea though - as sometimes they might only play 1 of the hihat sounds at a time (the open/closed might interfere and the hat sounds might retrigger).

2) Using Delay Units
If your using a delay unit without a tempo sync function or tempo bpm setting then do the following maths...

60 / BPM = length of one beat in seconds

1/16 of a bar is 1/4 of a beat so divide this number by 4 to get the length of one sixteenth.

Make sure your delay times are multiples of this number. I usually use what are called dotted eights (multiply by 6) as this has a nice, not quite on beat but in time delay effect.

If you have a stereo delay try a multiple of 4 on the other channel. Doing this you might have to fiddle with the feedback times as the one with the shorter delay will fade out faster.

Have fun. ;)

Dave Elyzium
04-02-2005, 05:44 PM
yeah i always use 60 / BPM x 1000 x .75 to get a 3/4 delay, just double the result to get a 6/4 delay going in the right cahnnel for a stereo delay.....be careful with midi delay if youre using soft synths as this is a good way of hogging memory that would maybe be better used to power a VST delay unit...

gumpy green
04-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Quantising is a sequencer feature - to push/pull the beats onto the right points if they're slightly out.

If it's the delay causing the problem then there's certain things you can do

1) Midi Delay
Copy the hihat pattern onto another track and offset by a few beats. If your using a real drum machine this might not be the best idea though - as sometimes they might only play 1 of the hihat sounds at a time (the open/closed might interfere and the hat sounds might retrigger).

2) Using Delay Units
If your using a delay unit without a tempo sync function or tempo bpm setting then do the following maths...

60 / BPM = length of one beat in seconds

1/16 of a bar is 1/4 of a beat so divide this number by 4 to get the length of one sixteenth.

Make sure your delay times are multiples of this number. I usually use what are called dotted eights (multiply by 6) as this has a nice, not quite on beat but in time delay effect.

If you have a stereo delay try a multiple of 4 on the other channel. Doing this you might have to fiddle with the feedback times as the one with the shorter delay will fade out faster.

Have fun. ;)

wicked, thanks alot man....very good pointers....appreciated.
:lol: :clap:

gumpy green
04-02-2005, 05:47 PM
yeah i always use 60 / BPM x 1000 x .75 to get a 3/4 delay, just double the result to get a 6/4 delay going in the right cahnnel for a stereo delay.....be careful with midi delay if youre using soft synths as this is a good way of hogging memory that would maybe be better used to power a VST delay unit...

i better practise my maths then....lol

btw- do you know any good links to pages with formulas like this for delays,timing etc?

dan the acid man
04-02-2005, 05:59 PM
the highs also sound a little harsh and cold, good first effort though

gumpy green
04-02-2005, 06:10 PM
the highs also sound a little harsh and cold, good first effort though

cheers...ive got the his going off to scream so i did intend them to be quite harsh, i may have just over done it.....

any tips on making em warmer?

278d7e64a374de26f==