PDA

View Full Version : Finalizers

messyfuture
06-02-2005, 12:00 PM
i'm looking to but a hardware finalizer, but apart from the TC Electronic ones i'm not too sure where else i should be looking.

The TC Electronic finalizer express looks like the one i'd like to get
http://www.tcelectronic.com/FinalizerExpress

Has anyone else used this unit or have any other finalizers that they would recomend?

Evil G
09-02-2005, 01:46 AM
there is also the dbx quantum, and i think drawmer makes one.

or you could get a tc powercore with the x3 or x5 plugin.

xfive
09-02-2005, 04:31 AM
Well a good start would simply be one of the TC Triple C compressors. They are multiband and really help tracks sound much nicer when used properly. They have an envelope mode too which is really cool. Make sure to get the stereo version ;)
I got my stereo one for $300USD a couple years ago.

Jimfish
09-02-2005, 04:33 AM
Triple C is good, i have one but i never really use it for mastering.. i use X-3 on my powercore and i love it (if anyones got X-5 pm me ;) I know the full finalizer is great but the express isnt supposed to have anything over the X-3 or X-5

Milesy
09-02-2005, 04:54 PM
aah. its all about T-Racks for mastering and polishing things up :clap:

messyfuture
09-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Cheers for the replys

The reason i'm looking for a finalizer is for my live set, i'm using a mackie 1604 and this does not have inserts on the subs. it has inserts on each channel and on the main outs.

The second reason is that I only have a 1 unit rack space left in my case that carries all my live gear

SO....my thinking was to get a finalizer which would have multiband compression etc and save me having to bring out more even more kit. like more compressors

does this sound like overkill, it would also get used in the studio too which would be a plus.

xfive
09-02-2005, 05:44 PM
Cheers for the replys

The reason i'm looking for a finalizer is for my live set, i'm using a mackie 1604 and this does not have inserts on the subs. it has inserts on each channel and on the main outs.

The second reason is that I only have a 1 unit rack space left in my case that carries all my live gear

SO....my thinking was to get a finalizer which would have multiband compression etc and save me having to bring out more even more kit. like more compressors

does this sound like overkill, it would also get used in the studio too which would be a plus.

Sounds good but the multiband will not make up for the fact that you wouldn't be compressing each part or whatever you would do if you had individual compressors. The multiband sounds waaay different. It *is* more of a semi-transparent sorta thing that it does to your sound. Not sure how you use your individual ones though so this may not be an issue... see what I'm gettin at?

messyfuture
09-02-2005, 06:52 PM
my mpc is loaded with loops which are taken for the studio versions of the tracks so most of the sounds have already been processed.

The idea of the finiziler was to make eveything a bit tighter and keep levels from wandering off too much

Do you think that this way wolud give the live sound a bit more polish?

xfive
09-02-2005, 07:25 PM
my mpc is loaded with loops which are taken for the studio versions of the tracks so most of the sounds have already been processed.

The idea of the finiziler was to make eveything a bit tighter and keep levels from wandering off too much

Do you think that this way wolud give the live sound a bit more polish?

Ah ok.. well you're probably fine with ditching the other compressors then.
And yeah, if you were to use it in a similar way that I use my TripleC, it helps the overall sound a lot. I use it on my live rig.

messyfuture
09-02-2005, 07:54 PM
right then

off down the shops

:lol:

xfive
09-02-2005, 07:57 PM
right then

off down the shops

:lol:

mmmm multiband compression. :lol: :love: :cool: :rambo:

278d7e64a374de26f==