PDA

View Full Version : drum machine?

sleepy
07-02-2005, 04:46 PM
im thinking about getting a cheep drum machine to go alongside my xbase anyone got any recommendations?

cheers

;)

AcidMutant
07-02-2005, 05:28 PM
If your just wanting a drum rack (no sequencer) then the old Novation Drum Stations are good for 808/909 sounds.

There's those Korg ER doodahs but I've never tried them.

I have a Roland TR606 which is a doddle to use, old skool analogue (and no MIDI) but none of the sounds are editable unless you want to get them modded...

Roland R8-mkII was the sort of studio standard for a while, especially with the 808/909 expansion cards added.

Yamaha RY30s are quite nice with the filter/expression wheel but more sort of 'Rock' style drums.

How much are you looking to spend and what kind of sounds are you going for? You could probably get away with samples these days...

xfive
07-02-2005, 05:35 PM
I'd get an older sampler that has some nice features.. like an old S2000/3000 or an EMU with Z plane filters..
Unlimited sounds then ;)

machina
07-02-2005, 11:50 PM
I've got a elektron machinedrum which is AMAZING... but probably doesn't fit into the 'cheap' category... it is definately worth the money though.

machina

Komplex
08-02-2005, 01:55 AM
Yo Jo :)

Komplex
08-02-2005, 01:58 AM
whoops, better reply to the topic question.
You want cheap and u want variety with x0x programming on the fly?

Go a Korg ES-1 (or preferably new version but that aint cheap)

Es-1 is dirt cheap, quick and fun to jam and unlimited sound ptoential cus it uses samples which you can ofcourse change :twisted:

It'll go well with the analogness of the xbase AND it sounds crunchy cus its only 32khz.

rounser
08-02-2005, 03:45 AM
You might want to consider an Akai MPD-16. Although it's not a drum machine, it's the pads from an MPC with no brains behind them.

The reason why I bring it up is that once you assign drums, loop fragments and FX samples to all of the pads inside your sampler, it offers your sampler the input potential of an MPC...once you glue or bolt it somehow to something solid (it's too flimsy and light in comparison to an MPC, and the pads won't work correctly in response to your taps until you do), it offers incredible control over dynamics, and very fast triggering of samples which a keyboard can't compete with. Lots of fun. :)

Craig McW
08-02-2005, 03:57 AM
What is an elektron Machine Drum worth?

Edit: just looked it up, pretty hexy. www.machinedrum.com

Though by all accounts looks to be a fantastic machine. Hm, interesting.....

xfive
08-02-2005, 04:00 AM
1200 new... prolly 900+ used. USD

sleepy
08-02-2005, 09:32 AM
thanks for the replys guys ;)

ive looked at the korg es1 and that prob the most amout of cash i want to spend.
has anyone used a alesis sr16? there only £80 max

Komplex
08-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Go with the ES-1 then. You'll get a lot more bang for buck than a crappy sr-16 (which u can find samples of on the net that you can load into the es-1)

acidsaturation
08-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Yeah Go for the ES-1 - The old versions still about and dirt cheap too. Specially if you got the xbase for more trad sounds. The only issue is the single pair of outputs, but if you got a PC you can eq the samples before recording them. You can also play the samples via midi as well as with the internal sequencer - I do both at once for super control.

It's the best bit of kit you'll get for the cash - you'll never run out of sounds, it's got some pretty good mangling capabilities and with a bit of fiddling about you can even do melody/basslines with it.

I took mine into hospital when I broke my back and it got me through a pretty shite 3 weeks and came out with loads of ideas for new tunes.

machina
10-02-2005, 01:10 AM
What is an elektron Machine Drum worth?

Edit: just looked it up, pretty hexy. www.machinedrum.com

Though by all accounts looks to be a fantastic machine. Hm, interesting.....

since i know you're in melbourne-town, awave's got em on special at the moment - around 1600 i think...

Komplex : Yo greg - hmmm... doesn't quite have the same inane ring to it... :)

machina

Craig McW
10-02-2005, 02:19 AM
If I had the cash right now, I'd jump on it. Soon though.... soon.

278d7e64a374de26f==