PDA

View Full Version : Influences

The Overfiend
09-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Who bought you into techno music wise?
Believe it or not a combination of stuff did for me,
from Green Velvet to the Touche Label
Dj Sneak Vs. Armand Van Helden Psychic Bounty Hunters and The Relief Label. Laidback Luke was my fav and still is. Not his new stuff though, I could punch him for his newer stuff.

gary_human
09-02-2005, 06:20 PM
If you mean DJs aswell then Kiss FM DJs - Colin Dale and Colin Favor, the Liberator DJs, Eelesy and Toebee (DJ Kunta) from DFM, House Junkie (whatever happened to him?), Lenny Dee and DJ Dag were the DJs who's stuff used to turn me on to the sound of techno music . . .

audioinjection
09-02-2005, 06:22 PM
i got into techno listening to gabber/hardcore techno actually, also jeff mills, derrick may, hyperactive, djax stuff, and local djs here

SlavikSvensk
09-02-2005, 06:46 PM
first true techno dj i saw play was a local detroit guy named twonz back in 1996. then richie hawtin and speedy j a week after. before that i was mostly into aphex and the like...

drift9
09-02-2005, 06:56 PM
got into techno via the heavy metal (maiden, slayer, etc.) to industrial (ministry, nin, thrill kill kult, etc.) route.

hawtin's sheet one was the first legit techno album/cd i got. this kind of led me to the whole detroit scene. grew into it from there.

The Overfiend
09-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Ahhh Fond memories of Kerry King

conflict
09-02-2005, 07:01 PM
dj-ing wise adam beyer and marco caola converted me from my acid techno days around 98

back in the day tho i used to listed to trevor rockliffe colin dale colin favour dave angel tanith easygroove carl cox poducer but was too busy buying.....ahem......other forms of 'rave'

ampassasinbirmingham
09-02-2005, 07:11 PM
i got into techno thru old school mellow and hardcore.

my friends took me to a techno event and i didnt want to go. I saw speedy j live followed by hawtin doing a dex fx set.

From that day on i was hooked.

In my early days my influences wer dave clarke,mills, surgeon, speedy j, leibing, beltram and a few of the detroit heavy weights.

at this point in time i take influence from a lot of warp/rephlex type stuff, from plaid to auetchre. surgeon, regis and mills are one of my main influences on my music.

i think prehaps the biggest influence on my music is this board at the moment. I read get ideas, tips on records.

dan the acid man
09-02-2005, 07:29 PM
started off loving ritchie hawtin and also his plastikman releases, i then started loving green velvet, then a local dj got me into acid techno :cool:

SlavikSvensk
09-02-2005, 07:35 PM
hawtin's sheet one was the first legit techno album/cd i got. this kind of led me to the whole detroit scene. grew into it from there.

it was for me as well, though at the time i didn't realize it was techno!

fresh_an_funky_design
09-02-2005, 07:37 PM
was originally into drum n bass, but went to a few drum n bass nights which had some techno in the back room, really buzzed off the music, then a friend gave me an adam beyer an marco corrolla mix, which properly started it all off for me

xfive
09-02-2005, 07:41 PM
For me I was into house at the time (got there from other things).. and I'd say releases from Carl Cox, Smith & Selway, Angel Alanis, Olav Basoski, and Bryan Zentz really got me into the more techy sound. My local record store of that time also did not really carry any techno (cept for the more tech-housey borderline stuff above).. so I then had to start buying online, where I really discovered the good stuff.
I had been listening to Plastikman for years before all that though.. I just didn't really attribute much of that to being dancefloor capable, because I had never heard it in that context.

Evil G
09-02-2005, 08:15 PM
got into techno via the heavy metal (maiden, slayer, etc.) to industrial (ministry, nin, thrill kill kult, etc.) route.

hey, that's my story exactly! (reaches for tin foil hat...)

romelpotter
09-02-2005, 10:51 PM
i got into techno through the back room @ cream and voodoo from 94 onwards, carl cox never failed to rock it in the back room and the zoo bar, though once that had started to go downhill me and my mates chanced apon voodoo and never looked back, coupling that with teh release of the liquid rooms in 96 my traqnsfer to the darkside was complete :twisted: :twisted: before that i was into metallica/slayer etc .... Rock on ;)

Stella Boy
09-02-2005, 11:08 PM
Who brought you into techno music wise?

My brother - a man obessed with the scene since day one. Showed me what techno is all about and put me onto some of the best producers and dj's known / unknown the scene has ever produced. He introduced me to labels, dj's, clubnights I'd never heard about and showed me what techno really was.

Honeey
10-02-2005, 01:00 AM
Overall, Plastikman Iv'e seen him play here so many times since 94 and have never been disappointed and always wrecked from dancing so hard.

I think the Misjah & Groovehead track Funky Drive really got me into playing the harder techno and still kicks my ass to this day.

heavy beats
10-02-2005, 08:39 AM
for me.... off the top of my head
tracks by adam beyer, advent, jeff mills, carola, morant..
djing wise, it would have to be andrei morant, hawtin, carl cox

gunjack
10-02-2005, 09:57 AM
magic juan.

DJ Becka
10-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Personally, I've been listening to some form of electronic music or another for many years-I can remember back in like 91-92 picking up tapes that had the big 'techno' songs at the time, and not really realizing what I was listening to. I've also been buying records since like the mid-late 80's-all different stuff including dance music-pretty much anything that had a beat to it....again not realizing what an impact some of this stuff would really have on the industry.
As for the realization of techno and what it REALLY was, I met these crazy kids from New Brunswick, NJ that worked at a little record shop called Planet X (now known as Planet X USA on the web) in my early days of djing, and 2 of them kept going on and on about Jeff Mills....they were always like 'Mills Mills.....check this shit out' and handing me records....his album Waveform Transmission Vol. 1 changed my life ;)

gumpy green
10-02-2005, 12:57 PM
the local under 18s discos around 92 got me into rave/old skool/acid house..

was into that till 96 or so when hardcore sort of took over up here and i lost intrest, basically cos the scen went wak as fuk.

got into my hiphop around 96 but then then likes of car cox, dave clarke, dave angel, chris liebing got me into techno at the start but now i dont really care too much for them...

now im a techno snobs and hate the commercial fukers trying to rape the scene for money...free partyz is wher its @ now for me...roll on the summer.

ampassasinbirmingham
10-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Who brought you into techno music wise?

My brother - a man obessed with the scene since day one. Showed me what techno is all about and put me onto some of the best producers and dj's known / unknown the scene has ever produced. He introduced me to labels, dj's, clubnights I'd never heard about and showed me what techno really was.

ill second that one. paul is one of the most knowledgable people in the scene today.

The Overfiend
10-02-2005, 03:28 PM
As for the realization of techno and what it REALLY was, I met these crazy kids from New Brunswick, NJ that worked at a little record shop called Planet X (now known as Planet X USA on the web) in my early days of djing, and 2 of them kept going on and on about Jeff Mills....they were always like 'Mills Mills.....check this shit out' and handing me records....his album Waveform Transmission Vol. 1 changed my life ;)

Chris n them?
Small ass world.

marginmaster
10-02-2005, 04:27 PM
i liked rave music then i heard that set ftom Tanith at Universe 92 and everything changed.
Also Billy Nasty tapes circa 92-94.

dirty_bass
10-02-2005, 06:40 PM
It`s all about John Carpenter and the ORIGINAL Assault on Precinct 13 soundtrack for me.
That led to industrial music, and eventually techno.

gumpy green
10-02-2005, 06:44 PM
i liked rave music then i heard that set ftom Tanith at Universe 92 and everything changed.
Also Billy Nasty tapes circa 92-94.would this be tanith and the producer? still got it its a classic

Kevin Gorman
10-02-2005, 08:49 PM
The first record I ever bought and got me into Techno was Adam Beyer Drumcode 1.

The Overfiend
10-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Laidback Luke
Act The Fool
Paul Johnson
The Music In Me
Laidback Luke
The Drill on Subspace

Honeey
10-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Frank Sinatra :shock:
That voice.... :love:

steelgrooves
10-02-2005, 11:14 PM
For me the first DJ I heard play an all techno set was Frankie Bones.. After hearing him and learning about Sonic Groove, I started to order records from there and came across X-Trax, Drumcodes,and Hybrid. Thats when I found the style of techno I still love today.I have many more current influences but thats pretty much where Techno began for me..

My most Inspiring Live DJ moment was with good ole Carl Cox.. He played here in Austin for the first and only time. Cant recall the exact year.. The crowd was big and had no idea what was about to hit em.. So he comes out BANGIN IT and SHOCKED the freakin place..It was like nobody could even Imagine what was gonna be heard before the night was over. Im telling you never seen anything like it.Austin was not a techno city and that night techno was the message and it was heard loud and clear..That vibe has been major inspiration to me to this day..

DJ Becka
10-02-2005, 11:57 PM

Chris n them?
Small ass world.

No....Chris wasnt even working at the store at that time.....I was referring to Dan DC, Larry, Bananas, and Spike.....

I think Chris started working at the store in like 97 maybe?

marginmaster
11-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Also Billy Nasty tapes circa 92-94.would this be tanith and the producer? still got it its a classic

yes thats the one. classic isnt it.

gumpy green
11-02-2005, 02:50 PM
here it is if you need it....hope its still up, sorry if it aint.

From - Hardcore will never die.com (check it out, its a wicked website! :clap: )

Side 1 of the tape --> http://hardcorewillneverdie.com/mixes/tan1.ram

Side 2 of the tape --> http://hardcorewillneverdie.com/mixes/tan2.ram

Track listing for the set:

THE PRODUCER:

Dyewitness - Observing The Earth (Midtown)
Holy Noise - Get Down Everybody (Hithouse)
???
Dream Frequency - Moog Addiction (Citybeat)
Force Mass Motion - Let It Move You (Rabbit City)
Knight Phantom - What's The Situation Now (Rising High)
???
GTO - Elevation (Troll Mix) (React)
???
Audio Assault - The Experiment (Rising High)
The Hypnotist - The House Is Mine 92 (Rising High)
Elevation - Can You Feel It (Creative Rhythm)
Force Mass Motion - Reach Up Remix (Rabbit City)

DJ TANITH:

Nasty Django - He's Ruff, He's Rugged, He's Full of shit
Ace The Space - 9 Is A Classic
???
Sperminator - No Women Allowed
Bis Art - Wrong Is Right Remix
???
Termo - Tempo
Force Mass Motion - Jack Of Diamonds
Force Mass Motion - Let It Move You
Prophecy - Devestating Rhythm
????
????
Nu-Tro-Gen - Rollin Reptiles
????
????

Fordy
11-02-2005, 07:10 PM
My brother introduced me to techno & electro, liked it but didnt really get it untill i went to atomic jam, funk d'void, jeff mills were playing so these were the first djs who played the music i now f'in love.

Adam Beyer through his essential mix from 2002.

Other than that big names like Carl Cox and Dave Clarke obviously and in terms of building up a record collection i started with stuff from people like d.a.v.e the drummer & ant etc.

Fordy
11-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Oh and actually Ade Fenton, from when I first went to atomic jam, he was the dj that impressed me the most on the night.

marginmaster
12-02-2005, 01:19 PM
cheers Gumpy :lol:

jon connor
12-02-2005, 04:50 PM
the liberaters/dave the drummer/lawri emersion the whole london crew back in the early days.....every thing about them there attitude the way they conduct themselves, the spirit and the invention of wots known as acid techno. somone needs to give them an award or somthing im telling ya! andreas kreamer (construct rhythym) was a very big influence, this guy put the futuristick in hard techno for me. + all you schranz lovers want to look back to old mid nineties release`s listen to the quality of the production and i tell ya its no diffrent from wot most people play to day,if not better. the guy is a genius..

on more funky side of things was anything from jeff mills, to adam beyer on the code stuff, mhonolink was a massive influence ,he was the first guy i heard doing the gallopy techno and in pure style to.

also cant forget these guys BASIC IMPLANT audio.
has anyone got this track i never hear anyone speak about it only i think its 1 of the greatest techno tracks ever made.TRICK OR TREAT. ?
i only have it on cd ive never seen a vynyl version. ?

278d7e64a374de26f==