PDA

View Full Version : Computer troubles .... again

miss bass
09-02-2005, 09:35 PM
Basically ive got my lovely new em-u 0404 soundcard, nice fostex pm1 monitors, smile on my face (for a change) ....

but

I was mid way playing cubase with one of the tracks id (crappily) been making, and the whole computer switched off...

Got to the point where all i could do was pull it from the socket....

So eventually restarts etc etc

Loads back up with something about an error and saying how 'the computer will soemtimes shut down when new hardware is added' (not exatcly in those words

Anyways i clicked on the option stating about 'last configuration settings' to help run computer smoothly again.
Get back to cubase, it happens again.
Throughout all this little things like cubase not playing back would happen allthough signals would be showing etc... If id go to the device setup and get to where you can change buffering, i would change nothing, just look, click ok, and what would you know cubase would make noise!!!!!

???

Its since this soundcard, anything ppl can suggest. ??

Buffering is set to like 20.

Im just so gutted as i think im getting somewhere then something else goes wrong, and everyone else is getting on swell with their comps yet mine always goes wrong.

:cry: I really ****ing pissed now

BRADLEE
09-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Damn, sorry to hear that. I don't use Cubase myself, so I am not experiancing these troubles. You need someone who is a regular user for sure on this one. Hope you find and Answer ;)

miss bass
09-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Could it be power supply is not man enough?? I mean i have plugs in every socket going... ??

Or drivers not installed properley??

(clutching at straws)

miss bass
09-02-2005, 09:41 PM
:( it ok il get there someday

miss bass
09-02-2005, 09:49 PM
help appreciated ... once again :) ...

sometime soon- ish :)

:crackup: <<<<

miss bass
09-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Also it has 1 gig ram, its pentium 4 ....

:)

BRADLEE
09-02-2005, 09:55 PM
How many watts is the power supply? That might have some affect on it, but generally most power supplies are now built to handle a decent load....

miss bass
09-02-2005, 09:58 PM
How many watts is the power supply? That might have some affect on it, but generally most power supplies are now built to handle a decent load....

**** knows, im drinking my tea for a bit :neutral:

maybe throwing it out the window helps?

I think i just need to keep mixing down my tracks, especially with fx going on / same vsts being used at same time etc , eats up cpu, i dont think it likes battery anymore.

xfive
09-02-2005, 10:05 PM
How much ram ya got?

miss bass
09-02-2005, 10:07 PM
1 beautiful gig ..... :love:

xfive
09-02-2005, 10:11 PM
1 beautiful gig ..... :love:

Whoo!
Well that's not the problem then lol

This could come down to the slot that its in, and whether or not it is sharing any resources with other cards.

If you go to your control panel->system->device manager and click on "View devices by resource" from the top menu, it should tell you what's what.
See if anything is sharing IRQs.

If so then try swapping the card into a different slot.

loopdon
09-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Could it be power supply is not man enough?? I mean i have plugs in every socket going... ??

(clutching at straws)

if the computer really switches off it could very well be, as you suggested, a problem related to the power supply. it could be a problem with your memory or your cpu gets to hot/cooling isn't sufficent, esp if the cpu-load rises (many plugs going) (you worsen the situation by loading lots of plugs as you experienced)

that's things i would have a look into, if i were you, and btw,

switch to frooty :crackup:

schlongfingers
09-02-2005, 10:16 PM

(clutching at straws)

if the computer really switches off it could very well be, as you suggested, a problem related to the power supply. it could be a problem with your memory or your cpu gets to hot/cooling isn't sufficent, esp if the cpu-load rises (many plugs going) (you worsen the situation by loading lots of plugs as you experienced)

Sounds like it's overheating to me as well.

It would be helpful (if your pc is showing an error) for you to write down the exact error code and post it.

miss bass
09-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Yep fruity.... dont take a genius really, should have done it a while back

Cheers dude anyways

xfive
09-02-2005, 10:20 PM

It would be helpful (if your pc is showing an error) for you to write down the exact error code and post it.

Yeah agreed.. but that doesn't really explain why going into the emu config panel and clicking ok would cause audio to come back to life.

Missy - what do you mean by plugs into every socket.. slots on the board? How many do you have?

xfive
09-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Also it could be a sketchy copy of cubase... heh :twisted: (not to put you on the spot or nuthin :lol:)

miss bass
09-02-2005, 10:23 PM

(clutching at straws)

oo never saw all this advice too

yeh good idea, need it to mess up again lol

miss bass
09-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Also it could be a sketchy copy of cubase... heh :twisted: (not to put you on the spot or nuthin :lol:)

errr (cough)

miss bass
09-02-2005, 10:26 PM

Yeah agreed.. but that doesn't really explain why going into the emu config panel and clicking ok would cause audio to come back to life.

Missy - what do you mean by plugs into every socket.. slots on the board? How many do you have?

no plus in extension sockets .... :oops:

xfive
09-02-2005, 10:33 PM
[

:doh:

Repeat that? :lol:

Milesy
09-02-2005, 10:34 PM
its not likely to be a overheating issue. its most likely going to be
a driver problem

miss bass
09-02-2005, 10:35 PM
[

:doh:

Repeat that? :lol:

lol sorry, im seriously insane now

Its getting that time of the month, my fuse is short and typing skills failing rapidly :doh:

xfive
09-02-2005, 10:36 PM
It's the *cough* sketchy cubase *cough*

:lol: :lol:

Really though the answer is to try any other sound app and see if it does the same thing.

Then you'll know if its drivers or software..

miss bass
09-02-2005, 10:37 PM
its not likely to be a overheating issue. its most likely going to be
a driver problem

thats what i was thinking, think il ring digital village 2mo

miss bass
09-02-2005, 10:40 PM
It's the *cough* sketchy cubase *cough*

:lol: :lol:

Really though the answer is to try any other sound app and see if it does the same thing.

Then you'll know if its drivers or software..

well i did notice that the albino vst seemed to hate playing now, real crackly, no matter what preset, the signal was low, and it wasnt an effect in the vst, yet id play fm7 beautifully.

so need to sleep :shock:

loopdon
09-02-2005, 10:52 PM
night, missy.

that problem shall be solved for sure :twisted:

but i'd really really go through the things i have listed so you're on the safe-side-harware-wise. i really would advise you giving fruity loops a shot, combined with nice plugins it really delivers.

if the problem shows up using particular plugins and/or if piling lots of plugins in comparison to a tune using few to new vst(i)s this would speak for a hardware-related problem as pointed out above.

in general drivers don't go "bad" from one day til the other, do they?

maybe it's other stuff you installed recently, say the windows xp servicepack 2 or something? to little diskspace can be viscious as well.

;)

miss bass
09-02-2005, 11:01 PM
:evil: night

Well its since ive had this soundcard fitted.

Sorry for being a pain

loopdon
10-02-2005, 11:02 PM
:evil: night

Well its since ive had this soundcard fitted.

Sorry for being a pain

you're not being a pain, that's what this board is there for, isn't it?
:crackup:

don't you know anybody who could have an actual look at your problems where you live? no nerds around :crackup: ?

trying to solve computer problems over such a distance can be rather
complicated.

do try a different audio soft, say acid pro or fruity or whatever to see if the problems are due to that 'dogdy' copy. what are your system specs, btw? windows xp? cpu? how much ram? and so one

i guess loads of people would be able to solve the problem sitting in front of your computer or connected over the net, but it is really really difficult to make judgments/give advice this way.

again,

good night :sleeping:

SlavikSvensk
14-02-2005, 03:34 AM
which version of cubase are you using?

miss bass
14-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Cubase sx 1, i was using cubase sx2 , but battery seemed to be ultra click click glitch in it, so someone said 'try sx1 again' and it helped!

Anyways ive sent the batsard thing to guy from digital village, as he fitted the soundcard etc, and since that, it shutdown so ....

Hopefully get the batsard thing home soon, so i can do some bastard shit

dan the acid man
14-02-2005, 05:42 PM
thats a bit of a bastard then :lol: ....................................ok, i'll get me coat

278d7e64a374de26f==