PDA

View Full Version : YEY Fruity Studio.

AcidTrash
11-02-2005, 03:12 AM
Good innit!!?

I enjoy it on a daily basis and there isn't anything it can't do if you think outside the box. I look at cubase and ableton and see nothing that different. Don't see anything in Reason that's superior either. It aint what you got, it's what you do with it!

xfive
11-02-2005, 03:17 AM
Obviously you haven't dug deep enough into Live..... and I s'pose the same goes for Cubase ;)

Live does what Fruity can... and a WHOLE lot more.

AcidTrash
11-02-2005, 03:19 AM
Such as? I can do a whole set offf fruity studio.

j_s
11-02-2005, 03:21 AM
Good innit!!?

I enjoy it on a daily basis and there isn't anything it can't do if you think outside the box. I look at cubase and ableton and see nothing that different. Don't see anything in Reason that's superior either. It aint what you got, it's what you do with it!

cubase/logic etc are pretty different, but it's true there isnt much you cant work around with the newer versions of fl...

xfive
11-02-2005, 03:49 AM

If you really dig into warp markers you'll see what I mean.

xfive
11-02-2005, 03:52 AM
I do actually like fruity for quick sketches. But I always end up ripping the loops I've made and then putting them into Live as a backbone... build from there ;)

AcidTrash
11-02-2005, 05:04 AM

Care to eloaborate. I've no idea what you're talking about. What does it do?

eyes without a face
11-02-2005, 06:56 PM
FL Studio kicks ass, simple!

ive always believed in "its not what u got, its what u do with it", well when it comes to production of course haha

xfive
11-02-2005, 09:02 PM

Care to eloaborate. I've no idea what you're talking about. What does it do?

Here's a good start:

http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=tutorials&sub=tips0504
http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=tutorials&sub=tips1203

Really just sit and screw around...

CORROSIVE
13-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Live and FL Studio, :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

RDR
14-02-2005, 08:07 PM
unfortunaetly there is a major downside with FL studio.

no 24 bit export. (not the cool edit bollox)

also you fruity users need to have a good hard look at the sample length of your exported loops. they are nearly always innacurate. of differing lengths. there are ways to sort out the length in cubase, but it does show the programming aint right. (if you dont believe me export 4 loops from fruity, import em to cubase, set your tempo and then zoom in on the ends of all the loops, you'll notice they either reach past the loop points, or dont reach them at all. - this is something i've seen using different installs computers, cards situations etc etc etc...)

also the sound engine is shite. sounds great live, but not on export...

As a qualifier i have used fruity in live, studio and all creative situations and i love the program, but you gotta know the limits of your programs down to the most detailled level.

i still love it as a sketch pad - it sounds fat as ****, ableton IMHO does sound a bit clinical.

As ever , there is many a good tune played on an old fiddle.

;)

audioinjection
14-02-2005, 08:28 PM
im a heavy fruity user, and you can get great sound of that program if done right...........most people who say it has a shitty sound engine is because they have a shitty sound card and use the regular fruity plugins.........imo, if used proper you can acheive anything you want w/ it, i have so far in my tracks.........but to each his own

AcidTrash
14-02-2005, 08:43 PM

also you fruity users need to have a good hard look at the sample length of your exported loops. they are nearly always innacurate. of differing lengths. there are ways to sort out the length in cubase, but it does show the programming aint right. (if you dont believe me export 4 loops from fruity, import em to cubase, set your tempo and then zoom in on the ends of all the loops, you'll notice they either reach past the loop points, or dont reach them at all. - this is something i've seen using different installs computers, cards situations etc etc etc...)

As a qualifier i have used fruity in live, studio and all creative situations and i love the program, but you gotta know the limits of your programs down to the most detailled level.

i still love it as a sketch pad - it sounds fat as ****, ableton IMHO does sound a bit clinical.

;)

That's only really a problem if you don't use fruity as a sequencer. If you know it inside out you can make some pretty awesome tracks with the right vst's.

aphex_hn
14-02-2005, 10:06 PM
FL rocks big time
ableton too,but they sare completely different progs imo...cant compare them...

the only pr0blem ive had with FL so far is with some reaktor patches, and they work fine in ableton n cubase

RDR
14-02-2005, 10:30 PM
im a heavy fruity user, and you can get great sound of that program if done right...........most people who say it has a shitty sound engine is because they have a shitty sound card and use the regular fruity plugins.........imo, if used proper you can acheive anything you want w/ it, i have so far in my tracks.........but to each his own

oh yeah... shitty soundcard. Hmmm how about o1x?

i've been using fruity from version 3. what i say is the truth. if you dont believe me about the OP check it out yourself.

besides which is said the audio engine is good when using it live, not when exporting, i stand by my decision.

I've written a production track from fruity, no probs with the engine there, i :love: fruity,but i willing to admit there are problems with it, dont you think its better to locate a problem and discuss it?

RDR
14-02-2005, 10:32 PM

;)

That's only really a problem if you don't use fruity as a sequencer. If you know it inside out you can make some pretty awesome tracks with the right vst's.

yes i have used the sequncer on many occasions... in at least 30 tracks i can remember. ;)

im no expert but i know what i see, and the problems are real.

AcidTrash
14-02-2005, 11:23 PM
I've got nearly 300 tracks from the last two years on fruity and it just gets better and better the more I concentrate on the one elemnt.

schlongfingers
15-02-2005, 01:22 AM

Don't mean to patronise you at all, you clearly know what you are talking about, but are you SURE you aren't overlooking the wrap remainder / leave remainder / cut remainder options on export?

RDR
15-02-2005, 10:12 AM
im being deadly serious.

there are discrepencies in the loop export when using either wrap or cut.

I havent got fruity 5 to check this problem exists yet, but i defo exists in 4.5.2 as this is the version im working on.

ill download the demo to see if the problem still exists.

anyone else care to comment

it'll be so embarrasing if its just me...

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

schlongfingers
15-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Hehe I'll have a check when I get home - I've never encountered it, but as I work pretty much exclusively withing Fruity I wouldn't have!

BRADLEE
15-02-2005, 06:51 PM
yeah I love me some FLstudio. Now that I use it almost solely, my stuff has been getting much better in terms of quality. All of the nice plugins I have for it now....But the only problem is that is is taxing the hell out of my system because I have 40 channels of sequence each running on their own FX bank and some VSTi's running as well. So time to upgrade the old computer I think... :rambo: Then maybe my system will stop locking up on me... :doh:

Barely Human
16-02-2005, 12:12 AM

Sorry man, i didnt belive you on that one. So i thought id check it out myself...

Here is 4 loops exported from fruity. Two of them are looped drumloops, and 2 of them are different vst instruments.

http://www.clubfaction.net/audio/temporary/test_(1).wav
http://www.clubfaction.net/audio/temporary/test_(2).wav
http://www.clubfaction.net/audio/temporary/test_(3).wav
http://www.clubfaction.net/audio/temporary/test_(4).wav

If you have a look you will see they all have 75,600 samples in them. Nothing wrong with any of them... :cool:

Ive never had a problem with any exports from fruity, to put in cubase, live and acid pro. Im sure you must be doing something wrong :neutral:

RDR
16-02-2005, 09:39 AM
O.k.

Here is the pathway from export to import.

Fruity export (4.5.2). Cut loop.
import into SX2.2

Thats it.

PC running XP sP1, 2.4gig. 512meg ram. Yamaha o1x. 40gig 7200 hitachi drive.

So now im wondering if it isnt cubase importing badly as im converting to 24bit......

Hmmmm. time to look again. :oops: :oops: :oops:

BTW you dont state which version of fruity you are running.

if anything it shows there may be a problem somewhere else. It isnt my soundcard as someone stated earlier in the post, as the whole process in internal bouncedown...

i've had a look at the fruity forums for this issue and they are quite clearly the worst forums i have ever been on, complete bollox. no help at all.

Barely Human
16-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Im running Fl 5,

And i export by making a loop region in the playlist, and having the exoprt on 16 bit wav, with the cut remainder setting, and also had the interpolation set at 256.

I might have a try with older versions to see if they do it. But again, ive never had any problems with them either :neutral:

RDR
16-02-2005, 04:51 PM
im rapidly losing my sanity here Al.

didnt even notice it was you posting....

:doh:

ill have another look tonight, im beginning to think that i dreamed all this..

:oops: :crackup: :roll:

RDR
17-02-2005, 09:31 AM
the plot thickens

scenario A.

dump some samples on the pattern view>export>check lengths in cubase> looking good, no mismatch

(this is at 140bpm)

Go back to any of my old projects>export a loop>check in cubase> error in lengths

(this tempo was 141)

remove master Fx>check again>still error in lengths

Check second project>this one uses only FL plugins>still same error

try wrap and cut on all project exports>still same error

I have a feeling its to do with a plug-in somewhere along the line

Export settings remain the same

256 export focus
dither on
HQ for all plugins on
HQ ts404 off.
16 bit
Wav format

Thickens even more

went into ableton 4.1 export a loop there, import into sx2.2 mismatch in loop lengths. (140bpm)

This makes me think this is a cubase problem. But if this is the case then i should be getting a loop length error when importing anything, and this is clearly not the case when just using the sample exports from the kick, snare , clap that fruity loads up when opening.

...? :eh:

Barely Human
17-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Thats a weird one chris :shock:

Theres goto be something common going on there. If you export loops from cubase, do they still have they same problem? And, are they just having problems in cubase? If you check the samples in sound forge, are they ok? If they are, then id say its deffo a cubase problem. What version of Sx are you running?

RDR
17-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Sx 2.2, but this was a problem i encountered in sx2 as well..

im gonna check in SF to see what the issue is

one thing i frogot to post before was that i'd also tried converting to 24bit and NOT converting to 24 bit, but the result remained the same..

ill have a look in SF tonight.

RDR
17-02-2005, 06:21 PM
right then

i have checked in soundforge the loop length in samples.

Tempo = 135.655 (1.769 secs per bar)

therefore a 1 bar loop should contain 78013 samples.

checked by

78013/1769(msecs) = 44.100056529112492933860938383267 (44.1khz in other words which is what im running at)

so.

i exported the loop from the 135.655 project i was running at

checked sample length.. 78021 samples

imported the loop into cubase, converted and copied to project (16bit-24bit) then saved the Cubsae project.

opened the converted file in cubase and checked sample length. still 78021, so cubase is not the culprit.

i checked another loop from another project running at 141bpm and the difference had changed to a mere 7 samples.

first fruity file - 9 plugins including 2 instances of refx vanguard.
second fruity file only 6 plugins, no VSti's except the fruity slicer.

i also checked in FL5 as well. same project, same answers....

please can you check my maths peepz? its driving me nuts.

At the end of the day it isnt a massive issue for me becuase i know about it and can deal with it. i had a look to see if there was a problem at the beginning of the wave file, but apart from the rise time of the waveform it seemed cool.

such is life...

but im betting that before i saw this that i was duplicating parts, and 100bars down the linr my groove had slipped and the piece was no longer sounding as tight, but imperceptably...

:shock:

i've had enough of this now and i guess you lot have too - :cry:

John Ferraris
18-02-2005, 01:01 AM
I noticed this last night. All my older tracks were done in 16bit, with much importing/exporting between fruity and cubase and no probs. The track I'm working on is 24bit, and some of the riffs I made in fruity (and cubase imported and converted) were out by approx 0.5-1.5 bpm @ 174bpm. Not all, but some loops had tempos like 173.42... strange :?:

RDR
18-02-2005, 07:38 AM
Finally, some confirmation!

so its either a sample length export issue or a tempo export issue.

ill check to see if the distance between each transient within the loop is correct as well.

schlongfingers
18-02-2005, 03:44 PM
Finally, some confirmation!

so its either a sample length export issue or a tempo export issue.

ill check to see if the distance between each transient within the loop is correct as well.

Or a sample length import or a tempo import issue :D

Is the mathematical precision so important, it ain't to me :) i like it loose.

RDR
18-02-2005, 08:16 PM
for me it isnt that important cos i know about it, but for those who dont.. they need to know.

imagine replicating a part 100times not knowing there is a problem with the length, by the 100th copy the sample could be 900 samples out..

thats not swing, its error.

i want to control the machine+soft, not the other way around...

fresh_an_funky_design
21-02-2005, 01:54 AM
a friend of mine who is doin a masters in music production did a comparison between 4 sequencers in terms of sound quality. He chose logic 7, cubase sx 3, reason 2.5 and fruity loops (the most recent one, not sure what its called)

And in terms of sound quality logic 7 rated highest, closely followed by cubase sx 3, then reason 2.5, then fruity loops!

At the end of the day you get what you pay for thats why logic is £800 and cubase is £600-700, and fruity loops and reason are much cheaper.
Its not to say that you cannot make good music on cheaper sequencers.

I will get the results and tests posted on here once my fiend gives them to me. I have read through it and they we're all throughly tested to a high accuracy

I'm not dissing fruity loops but i do think it is more of an amateur sequencer compared to logic and cubase which are the industry standard.

Ableton wasn't tested so cant tell you how it compared

Jack
22-02-2005, 10:58 PM
http://www.maz-sound.com/index.php?show=mpcs&mpc_id=34

This website compares a number of programs aliasing problems when sampling. Is shows conversion pictures, is interesting

278d7e64a374de26f==