PDA

View Full Version : Littlebit confused about EQ'ing

Ritzi Lee
11-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Yeah what's the deal with that EQ'ing issue?

Some time ago i really had the feeling i was creating a very good EQ'ing sound with my tracks: Full, Deep in the sub, and clear in the high.
But now it seems that i lost it a littlebit.

And the stupid thing about it is that at the moment i'm mixing, it all sounds good according to my own interpretation. But then suddenly when you want to show your tracks to other people, they come with: "It doesn't sound that clear." :eh:

And when you think about it, and your hearing your own shit back, and compare it with other productions (even your own past things), it does indeed sound very strange!

Anybody had the same kind of experience?

mattboyslim
11-02-2005, 01:54 PM
tired ears perhaps? go and listen to some nu jazz, or a bit of bowie. that;'ll sort you out ;)

AcidMutant
11-02-2005, 02:23 PM
When your working on your own track your brain sort of hears what it wants, compensates, etc. over time and your picking out the individual elements not the whole sound.

Before you EQ you should listen to other stuff or have some peace and quiet for a bit then do your EQing for no more than an hour or so before taking a break and coming back to it.

Also you can get used to your monitors/speakers and these may "colour" the way you mix your final production - it's always nice to have a second set, even if they're just crappy hi-fi speakers, so you can compare the sound on both sets.

278d7e64a374de26f==