PDA

View Full Version : sherman filterbank

audioinjection
11-02-2005, 11:07 PM
so im looking into getting this puppy, went to the site, heard the sound samples, sounds like its bad ass

anyone here have experience with this?

loopdon
12-02-2005, 07:34 AM
not myself but i have listened to sound examples, many people have em and i would really like one. if that helps. :oops:

Basil Rush
12-02-2005, 01:14 PM
I've got one I might sell ... filterbank2, dirty rude boy it is . but I'm buying a new dirty rude thing ... it's in good nick and all that kind of stuff, drop me a mail if you fancy it ...

Komplex
13-02-2005, 03:07 AM
I have one and love it. But I love analogue filters in general.

The Sherman is not a smooth creamy sounding filter like the moog design, its more on the dirty side.

If you like your analogue shit you'll love the sherman, its very useable and has plenty of control.

It is also mono so if you need to work with stereo percussion or something you'll need to buy two and link them together.

Tyrisia
13-02-2005, 07:10 AM
I've got an Akai MFC-42, not as extreme as a Sherman (so I've heard), but still pretty extreme.

And it's got a mono channel and a stereo channel, each with their own filter controls.

And they're cheap.

fatcollective
13-02-2005, 10:00 AM
I've got an Akai MFC-42, not as extreme as a Sherman (so I've heard), but still pretty extreme.

And it's got a mono channel and a stereo channel, each with their own filter controls.

And they're cheap.

i also got a Akia mfc 42 and that is sweet, litterally, really smooth...but my good friend who i live with has a sherman and F U C K ME its totally wikid! its a f u c k i n g monster and well worth the money...basically its not just a filter, its a machine that can twist up your sounds and spit them out again...ULTIMATE BEAST !

Ritzi Lee
13-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Just check out some Steve Rachmad productions.
He has a Sherman in his studio. ;)

Jimfish
13-02-2005, 05:21 PM
yeah, an analogue filter is absolutly essential..

the sherman is a beast, but the mfc42 is slightly cheaper, has a stereo AND a mono filter and is allmost as much of a beast..

Zektor
13-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Just check out some Steve Rachmad productions.
He has a Sherman in his studio. ;)

Really?

Also check out Marco Bailey's productions. He's using them heavily on the breaks of his productions. For instance his 'Mojito' track ( c1 )

http://www.nuloop.com/real_samples02_e.php?art=21583&ec=16801

:lol:

audioinjection
14-02-2005, 04:10 PM
seems like nothing but good things about it huh.............so its pretty much in between the sherman and the akai :doh:

Komplex
15-02-2005, 12:30 AM
could say bad things too...

like, its pretty noisy circuitry. has two filters inside but only mono input, weak plastic pots that move around when you touch them etc..

but all in all, if you are into analogue filters and tweaking around then you'll definately have fun with it :)

its really cool for making soft synths sound good :)

FIK
15-02-2005, 02:10 PM
I've heard things before about the circuitry. I think that's to do with the fact that it's built by a small company. It started out as a punkband member who knew his way round electronics and made a living out of that. You can never get the same buildquality like that from the majors.
But nevertheless, I'd love to have one. Great stuff

professor
15-02-2005, 04:16 PM
the akai is rock solid, with huge cutoff and resonance knobs. lovely modulation and a trigger button for filter sweeps.
My only complaint is with the distortion...it is either on or off (push button), and I haven't discovered a way to regulate the drive/amount, only the volume of the distortion.

Komplex
15-02-2005, 10:39 PM
the akai is rock solid, with huge cutoff and resonance knobs. lovely modulation and a trigger button for filter sweeps.
My only complaint is with the distortion...it is either on or off (push button), and I haven't discovered a way to regulate the drive/amount, only the volume of the distortion.

can u overdrive the input?

Also I've noticed it has 3 filters in it, does it only have two outputs?

professor
16-02-2005, 01:44 PM
http://www.akaiproamerica.com/productsMFC42.html

MARKEG
17-02-2005, 11:10 AM
i love my sherman. bought it off mccormack who told me it was a little too aggressive, and he's totally right, but it is a totaly unique little filter and it's definitely got it's own sound. i reckon you could be a little disappointed if you're after a 'filter filter' if you know what i mean, but as far as having something in the corner to give you a little inspiration every now and then, sherman rocks.

auditory hallucinations
17-02-2005, 01:40 PM
I have a Filterbank, and find that it works best on analogue sources...it can really crunch up a 303 nicely, and it's ace on the 909 giving some mad results.

It's pretty complex though - it's got so much scope, you should realise that there are loads of good possibilties with it, but conversely so many bad settings that will result in not much sound coming out your speakers.

Check the demo video out on www.sherman.be, it gives a good account of what the beast can do.

professor
17-02-2005, 03:36 PM
i've got a replicated sherman filterbank patch for my Nord!!! Not sure if it's like the real thing, but it does some wicked stuff to audio

278d7e64a374de26f==