PDA

View Full Version : where mah sistahs at?

djshiva
16-02-2005, 07:01 AM
i keep seeing references around here to the "bortherhood" of techno and everyone's always calling me "man" everytime i say something they like (or don't), so i just wondered a coupla things...

first: are there other women on this board?

second: why is the assumption always that everyone that's into techno or on a techno board is a bloke? i mean, obviously the majority are, but it gets annoying sometimes when everyone makes that assumption...

so yeah...where mah techno sistahs at?

djshiva
16-02-2005, 07:02 AM
ok...since there's no editing of posts, i will go ahead an correct myself in the previous post.

obviously i meant "brotherhood"...

so yeah...forgive my latenight crap typing...

The Overfiend
16-02-2005, 07:30 AM
Chrissi
Miss Bass
Becka
are here.

No estrogen rants, cause they more than earn their keep and pay their dues. Nobody knew you were a female :scratch:

djshiva
16-02-2005, 07:34 AM
not ranting really. not even really offended. it just struck me the other day that i wasn't sure if there were more than just the few women on here.

no freakout meant. just wondering. :)

The Overfiend
16-02-2005, 07:41 AM
I think it's dope.
Poerty is on point girl!

DJ Becka
16-02-2005, 02:26 PM
i keep seeing references around here to the "bortherhood" of techno and everyone's always calling me "man" everytime i say something they like (or don't), so i just wondered a coupla things...

first: are there other women on this board?

second: why is the assumption always that everyone that's into techno or on a techno board is a bloke? i mean, obviously the majority are, but it gets annoying sometimes when everyone makes that assumption...

so yeah...where mah techno sistahs at?

I'm here :)

And I LOVE techno :love:

I think the reason people automatically assume you (or any other chick) are a guy is because it is tru that there are definitely a lot more men that listen to and play techno....do you know how many parties I've been at where there were like maybe 1 or 2 other girls there? And their boyfriends were the ones djing at the party? I also think like every other female dj I know either spins trance or house.....maybe because it's more girlie? I dont know....**** that....give me some REAL beats that I can play and shake my ass too ;)

Honeey
16-02-2005, 03:50 PM
I am woman, hear me work the techno!

I have also been curious about this too.

Hey all you sistas :) :cool:

dirty_bass
16-02-2005, 03:57 PM
When I say brotherhood, I mean it as a Brotherhood of man, as in species.

As for where are the ladies at?

Techno is a men only club

Ask Sven vath

The Overfiend
16-02-2005, 03:59 PM
:scratch: :shhh:
Oh I get it, lol.
Shiva you should really spit some of that poetry over a break of yours.
She's got a lot on her mind!

gunjack
16-02-2005, 04:10 PM
fine girls + hard techno dj skills = SHWING :love:

The Overfiend
16-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Misstress Barbara smells so good!
I don't know what perfume she wears, but I would love to get that for me misses, she smelled like a friggin Snuggle commerical!

DJ Becka
16-02-2005, 05:31 PM

Ask Sven vath

BOOOOOOOO!!! It is so NOT a men's only club :nono:

And if it ever was, then move over cuz times are changin...
:clap:

Honeey
16-02-2005, 05:39 PM
www.femalepressure.net :rambo:

Ritzi Lee
16-02-2005, 05:39 PM

Ask Sven vath

BOOOOOOOO!!! It is so NOT a men's only club :nono:

Didn't I hear that somewhere before? :lol:

dirty_bass
16-02-2005, 06:15 PM
BOOOOOOOO!!! It is so NOT a men's only club nono.gif

clap.gif

errr

I was joking about that.

I guess you missed the sarcasm.

We love ladies in techno.

Most of us are huge geeks and pine for female contact.

Mirsha
16-02-2005, 06:20 PM
For me I just don't care whether the person on the other end of the screen has breasts or a cock. What difference does it make to what they listen to, what they think or and how they talk? Thats how I interact with them, not on a "oh my god, it's a girl online, I must go and leave slime over here and let her know how desperate I am for shag"

DJ Becka
16-02-2005, 06:37 PM
For me I just don't care whether the person on the other end of the screen has breasts or a cock. What difference does it make to what they listen to, what they think or and how they talk? Thats how I interact with them, not on a "oh my god, it's a girl online, I must go and leave slime over here and let her know how desperate I am for shag"

SlavikSvensk
16-02-2005, 07:08 PM
i think techno could use more female voices...

xfive
16-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Women of BOA Calendar?

What?

:shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr Exit
16-02-2005, 11:45 PM
How come girls have got there own dj agency's then?

The Overfiend
17-02-2005, 12:06 AM
I believe that on one end it is right that some female dj's may branch off and start their own agencies for djing and what not. YET, I respect it even more when the female makes no big deal of her own gender and earns her respect like anyone of us. In fact tries to outdo the competition.
Barbara can blow most dj's out the box. Name or no name.

koma
17-02-2005, 01:33 PM
Barbara can blow most dj's out the box. Name or no name.

true dat. she was 2 times in Croatia and she's coming again, I think last weekend in March. thats a must see.

I agree with Mirscha on this completely, and I dont support interview statements of some male djs that 99% girls just play on their looks, its just not fair.

The Overfiend
17-02-2005, 03:31 PM
http://forum.nwdnb.co.uk/images/smilies/gayfight2.gif

tekara
17-02-2005, 06:47 PM
misstress barbara is the best techno DJ! And i dont mean "best female techno DJ". Im talking about DJing in general!

djshiva
18-02-2005, 02:14 AM

that was most definitely NOT whst i was hoping to hear.

what about girls with hard techno skills that don't fit the predetermined idea of "fine"? ;)

djshiva
18-02-2005, 02:16 AM
I'm here :)

And I LOVE techno :love:

I think the reason people automatically assume you (or any other chick) are a guy is because it is tru that there are definitely a lot more men that listen to and play techno....do you know how many parties I've been at where there were like maybe 1 or 2 other girls there? And their boyfriends were the ones djing at the party? I also think like every other female dj I know either spins trance or house.....maybe because it's more girlie? I dont know....**** that....give me some REAL beats that I can play and shake my ass too ;)

didn't you used to be on sister djs? i think i remember you from there, perhaps?

:)

Komplex
18-02-2005, 04:33 AM

Ask Sven vath

Most of the techno parties around here are 80 - 90% men only.

Most of the women are groupies and would probably not be there otherwise.

Why?

Craig McW
18-02-2005, 06:43 AM
Most techno dudes are geeks. That's why.

If they looked you and me Greg, different story. Chicks all over da shop....

I joke.

gunjack
18-02-2005, 12:10 PM

what about girls with hard techno skills that don't fit the predetermined idea of "fine"? ;)

"course i love you... i love all yall!" - girls girls girls

DJ Becka
18-02-2005, 01:54 PM

No matter what you do, men will still be men....they see a hot chick and cant stop drooling. I think women can be the same way too though....I mean, if you see a hot guy, you cannot tell me that you dont think to yourself 'Yea...he's hot'. Basic human instinct...

For me personally, I dont give a shit what you look like....as long as you can bang it, it's all good to me....

Maybe they should hang a curtain up around the dj booth at parties so you CANT see who is djing-that would be interesting.....then you couldnt tell if it was a man or woman playing and only be able to truly judge based on what you hear and not see, rather than the other way around ;)

DJ Becka
18-02-2005, 01:56 PM
didn't you used to be on sister djs? i think i remember you from there, perhaps?

I never really was on sister djs.....maybe you saw me on Shejay.net? Either there or from the Female Pressure board......I think I've seen you on Shejay though.....

gunjack
18-02-2005, 02:19 PM
cĀ“mon ladies, men are dawgs and you kno it, at the bery least, there are those of us who admit it. :rambo:

gunjack
18-02-2005, 02:20 PM
i m a gud typr to :roll:

MARKEG
18-02-2005, 06:17 PM
chrissi is one of the only girls i know so involved in this techno music making game (just so happens to be the missus too ;) ) and she never fails to surprise me when we're in the studio. whereas alot of blokes i've been making music with all think very similar about sounds and what's good and what's bad, i find that chrissi brings something to the table that blokes just don't bring. i mean, we've been into totally the same music for as long as we've been seeing each other (13 years), but there's those things that chrissi thinks about that you just know are a 'womens brain at work' ;)

it just really makes me think as to what techno music would be like, in fact music in general, if alot more producers were girls. you know, talking about all this, i'm well intrigued. it's so true, music would be well differet. i'm definitely gonna go out of my way to check more women dj's out in the future :)

dirty_bass
18-02-2005, 06:54 PM
There`s always been a lot of girls playing on the free party scene in london.
Wherear blokes tend to play the more obvious jump up and down, or pump your fists stuff.
The girls tend to play music that comes from the hip and the booty, and you can really dance properly to it.
As I whole I`ve preferred the girlie DJ`s to blokes, on the squat scene. The seem to have better flow overall as well.

andy james
18-02-2005, 07:05 PM
it just really makes me think as to what techno music would be like, in fact music in general, if alot more producers were girls. you know, talking about all this, i'm well intrigued. it's so true, music would be well differet. i'm definitely gonna go out of my way to check more women dj's out in the future :)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

what you just said reminds me of shiva who started this thread. not only is she a BAD ASS dj, her production is top notch and she will be exploding on to the techno scene this year guaranteed! she is one of the most dedicated people i know (man or woman) to the cause and she deserves every bit of success she'll get this year :cool:

there's no room for machismo in this game because it's the greatest music on earth and if a woman is good at it then there shouldn't be anything or anyone stopping that. the more supporters of techno there are the better you know!

if you wanna have an attitude, hang with the dnb/jungle blokes :rambo:

DJ Becka
18-02-2005, 07:06 PM
chrissi is one of the only girls i know so involved in this techno music making game (just so happens to be the missus too ;) ) and she never fails to surprise me when we're in the studio. whereas alot of blokes i've been making music with all think very similar about sounds and what's good and what's bad, i find that chrissi brings something to the table that blokes just don't bring. i mean, we've been into totally the same music for as long as we've been seeing each other (13 years), but there's those things that chrissi thinks about that you just know are a 'womens brain at work' ;)

If you are really intrigued, you should definitely check out the female pressure site....it's run by Electric Indigo and there are tons of women that contribute to the forums ;) I wouldnt be surprised if your misses already is part of the Female Pressure community :)

djshiva
19-02-2005, 12:57 AM
No matter what you do, men will still be men....they see a hot chick and cant stop drooling. I think women can be the same way too though....I mean, if you see a hot guy, you cannot tell me that you dont think to yourself 'Yea...he's hot'. Basic human instinct...

well, i can for sure tell you i wouldn't think the guy's hot. ;) it's that damn gay gene or somethin'. ;p but yeah, i do understand basic human hormonal reactions. not dissin' people for bein' humans...

Maybe they should hang a curtain up around the dj booth at parties so you CANT see who is djing-that would be interesting.....then you couldnt tell if it was a man or woman playing and only be able to truly judge based on what you hear and not see, rather than the other way around ;)

we (SUBterror) actually did a coupla parties where we obscured the view of the djs in some fashion, either with camo netting or backlit gauze scrim. it was really cool to see the quizzical looks on people's faces, and then the subsequent disinterest in watching and more interest in listening and moving. it really took the spectator element outta the whole thing. pretty neat...

djshiva
28-02-2005, 04:26 AM
i thought i would throw this on this topic, since it works as good as any.

ya know, guys are always wondering why there aren't more women in the techno scene. and i am always wondering why they just don't get it.

i go to the board members' photo thread, only to find someone had posted a pic of some naked chick with headphones and turntables, touching NOT THE TURNTABLES, but her crotch!

now guys, ask yourselves...why WOULD women want to be around when we get this kinda shite in our faces all the time? it's annoying, yet even worse, it's insulting to those of us who have made our way into the techno world because of our TALENT and not our tits.

what do you want? sluts who rub themselves instead of vinyl? or women who rock decks? usually can't have it both ways, so figger it out.

and anyone who wants to regard this post as negative, needs to check themselves and realize that sexist BS like that post in the photo thread is what is TRULY negative.

time to stop talking about music evolving. that means NOTHING if we as humans are incapable of evolution.

sorry bout the rantiness...just really really really really sick of dealing with the same shite no matter where i go.

Mirsha
28-02-2005, 05:44 AM
Stuff like this is just lauding a bit of attention on the female DJs that there are, I know a few folk who have made some comments about wanting to sex up Gayle San or Mistress Barbara but I also know a few women who've dribbled over folk like Si Begg and Regis in pretty much the same way.

I know I am an evil person, because when I saw that picture I couldn't help myself, I just had to have a right good stare to see what decks and mixer she was posing in front of and looking for good old gaffs like none of the cables being plugged in.

sarahfab
28-02-2005, 06:02 AM
I am curious why everyone thinks there are so little women involved in the techno scene when I know so many????.....

And this topic seems to come up about once a year and I have to say it is usually the only time I post, so shame on me for not speaking up a bit more, but we are out there! lurking ;)

Sarah

djshiva
28-02-2005, 09:20 AM

I never really was on sister djs.....maybe you saw me on Shejay.net? Either there or from the Female Pressure board......I think I've seen you on Shejay though.....

actually that's not me on shejay. there is another dj shiva (who is from holland methinks). she's been using the name since about 2000, but i've been on it since 1995, so...i guess we'll just have to fight that one out when we come to it. ;)

j/k

i coulda sworn there was a dj becka on sister djs sometime ago, but then again, might be the same case of multiple name usage. ;)

miss bass
28-02-2005, 09:23 AM
Female male pig or sheep or even horse maybe ..... blar blar

Id rather someone say i was shit at mixing and my tunes are shite instead of 'shes fit' as a brief definition as a dj. I want ppl to go 'thats quality tuneage' or 'that was a shit mix' , and they have done which i appreciate. I cant say that ive ever used the 'im a female card' to make ppl like or dislike me or mixing etc and do not plan on it either. I love discussing music and have had many good convos with guys about it which is great.

I must admit at times i have felt slightly wary of ppl seeing my picture online just incase they may or may not want to speak to me or even judge me on it. But then i think **** it, id rather not chat to someone if they are that shallow to judge me on the physical side. I like to think thats a feeling for males and females on the board though too, lets not assume all the guys on here are into girls. ;)

Music is music lets not **** about with the bullshit.

miss bass
28-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Although this topic is in 'our defence' it results in pointing out and highlighting the fact were females.... therefore i was not planning on posting to this topic but kinda had a few mins spare before my college lecture. :rambo:

Florence
28-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Hi there!
I'm a girlie too... not a supermodel and not frustrated in the scene at all...
But I do wanna say something here...

The naked-dj-photo's just wanne make me puke... but, they do have a purpose! Enjoying men! And... who cares... as long as they don't play before or after me in a line-up, there's no problem at all.

What IS a problem though, is that pretty dj's are also judged by their looks... I recently heard a set from Misa Salacova, friend of dj Rush... and the set was crap: hits-hits-hits and very bad mixing... but what do the reviewers say: she was so enthousiastic and friendly... that makes up for everything... WHAT!!??! This was a BIG gig, over 1500 people... if she was a guy people would have thrown eggs to her...

How is this possible??

But... whatever... I'm a 35-year-old sistah and still going strong (except for the giving birth-thing that is... retiring this year hehehe...)

adios amigos...
take care...
and do NOT call me DUDE again!! :nono:

DJ Becka
28-02-2005, 07:19 PM

actually that's not me on shejay. there is another dj shiva (who is from holland methinks). she's been using the name since about 2000, but i've been on it since 1995, so...i guess we'll just have to fight that one out when we come to it. ;)

j/k

i coulda sworn there was a dj becka on sister djs sometime ago, but then again, might be the same case of multiple name usage. ;)

Hmmmm :hmm: Curious about that one.....but if that's the case, then it looks like we're in the same boat here-I've been using my name since about 93-94....but it's been my nickname my whole life. Ahh well....what can you do?

DJ Becka
28-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Female male pig or sheep or even horse maybe ..... blar blar

Id rather someone say i was shit at mixing and my tunes are shite instead of 'shes fit' as a brief definition as a dj. I want ppl to go 'thats quality tuneage' or 'that was a shit mix' , and they have done which i appreciate. I cant say that ive ever used the 'im a female card' to make ppl like or dislike me or mixing etc and do not plan on it either. I love discussing music and have had many good convos with guys about it which is great.

I must admit at times i have felt slightly wary of ppl seeing my picture online just incase they may or may not want to speak to me or even judge me on it. But then i think **** it, id rather not chat to someone if they are that shallow to judge me on the physical side. I like to think thats a feeling for males and females on the board though too, lets not assume all the guys on here are into girls. ;)

Music is music lets not **** about with the bullshit.

:clap::clap::clap:

audioinjection
28-02-2005, 07:41 PM
the only bad thing about female djs are those girls who play topless and shit.............they're only booked for their looks and probably dont have skill, i mean, if you gotta spin topless to get booked :doh:

i think thats what gives a lot of female djs bad names

Mirsha
28-02-2005, 09:53 PM
I am curious why everyone thinks there are so little women involved in the techno scene when I know so many????.....
There is one local female DJ I always remember vividly meeting, we were all spackered in someone's bedroom at an afterparty and it must have been abuot ten in the morning when she came in, politely asked everyone if they would mind listening to some gabber then hammered a set out for an hour. Lovely!

278d7e64a374de26f==