PDA

View Full Version : stereo problems

AcidTrash
16-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Have just rearranged my setup and to give me better stereo separation and the bass on my tunes has disappeared completely. For some reason when my speakers were above me my tracks sounded lovely and warm but now I'm in direct line of sight with the speakers it sounds very cold and stark. If I stand above the speakers or to the side of themn it sounds perfect. Is there any way to refocus the bass so it comes out of the front of the speakers instead of the side and top?

Thanks in advance.

Komplex
16-02-2005, 11:18 AM
hows it sounds if you move the speakers back a bit or towards you?

AcidTrash
16-02-2005, 11:30 AM
if I stanfd six feet back from them it sounds mint. still not as bassy as I'd like.

dirty_bass
16-02-2005, 11:52 AM
depending on whether you are using proper nearfileds or not, it sounds like you new monitoring possition is much better. You shold be getting a very flat sound, and having heard your finished stuff, this new speaker arrangement may allow you to get a clearer final sound.
It will take your ears time to get used to it, so just listen to loads of your favourite tunes through them for a bit.

Ideally the monitors should be at ear level, at least 3 feet apart, and you should be sitting in the middle, about 3 feet away, in the golden triangle.

AcidTrash
16-02-2005, 03:30 PM
I 've played with it all day today and if I turn the balance all the way over to the left I get the warm lush sound I'm used to. Centre panned, everything sounds really cold and clanky. Is this good? I liked it better before. I've always prefered warmth over clarity.

AcidTrash
16-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Should I experiment with having elements of the tune off centre panning? Someone mentioned stereo widening. Preliminary experiments on the whole track make it sound great but the details get a bit mushy.

stjohn
16-02-2005, 04:19 PM
i cant help u there mate.... when im listening to a tune in front of the monitors it doesnt seem as bassy as say...... when im in the bathroom next door takin a dump.

the bass out of my tannoy reveals sounds huge out side my room but not so big in front of the speakers.

stjohn
16-02-2005, 04:25 PM
defiatly have elements of centre..... but try keep a general balance on the master level! what i do is if i have a synth or pad panned full to the left... id match that with a similar noise full to the right.... (it doesnt have to be similar, something as constant as it maybe)

to match that full left i sometimes pan only the reverb of another loop (perx for eg) to the right, with this u can get some nice claustraphobic noises.....

i dont know why claustraphobic but me no gud england!

AcidTrash
16-02-2005, 04:33 PM
It has occurred to me that it might sound different because I pulled the carpet up yesterday and my room is now bare floorboards. I can't imagine the difference would be this drastic tho? It sounds like its coming out of a marshal guitar amp now.

Rob_S
01-03-2005, 12:55 AM
hello im new here but just read your post (saying you'd moved our speakers!

i dont know what kind of speakers your using but check the wiring connections to them if you have one speaker wired incorrectly they will be out of phase and bass will disappear completely when you're in the middle!

This might not apply if your using active monitors but thought it was worth a mention
;)

MARKEG
01-03-2005, 01:05 AM
i'm saying it a phase problem. mess around with your cables.. chekc phono leads especially...

MARKEG
01-03-2005, 01:06 AM
CHANGE ALL your phono leads i've had this prob myself before

Mattias Fridell (emb)
01-03-2005, 11:09 AM
If you have used a steroeffecr VST, this can also cause some phaseprobems, listen to your mix in mono !

sash
02-03-2005, 06:12 AM
the accoustics of your room are probably way out. The loud bass u hear (away from your listeneng position) is probably bass that is over amplified by your rooms accoustics.

AcidTrash
02-03-2005, 10:04 AM
plenty to think about here. Thank you!

RDR
02-03-2005, 11:51 AM
My room is totally doing my head in as well. im probably sitting too far away as im getting massive bass from them when i stick my head into the speakers it dissapears and i get flat response. im gonna have to move my desk and get some "super pikey" acoustic tiles. (Cheap rugs to you and me)

Basil Rush
03-03-2005, 11:35 AM
You've not recabled your speakers out of phase while you were rearranging the room? If you're using passive speakers swap the + and - round on one of them and check to see if it stops sounding so sick ...

RDR
03-03-2005, 02:26 PM
no chief, thanks anyway - im using these beasts

http://img.nextag.com/imagefiles/small/000/000/638/574/63857423.jpg

8.2 actives...

i think its probably standing wave problems and resonant frequencies in the room. im gonna have to measure em and try and work out the modes... anyone got a behringer ultracurve handy???

:doh:

Scott Kemix
03-03-2005, 03:57 PM
The Behringer Ultracurve? Thinkin of purchasing one of these, but has anyone on here used one?

278d7e64a374de26f==