PDA

View Full Version : samples

BRADLEE
17-02-2005, 09:40 PM
I'm a sampling freak I dunno about everyone else. I samples alot of my FX and pads from Movies, the Sci-Fi channel, and the Discovery Channel. What type of things does everyone else like to sample????

AcidTrash
17-02-2005, 10:18 PM
see what sort of f*cked up basslines when you sample your cat purring when it's asleep. I have hours of fun. Working on a track called "podge" named after my cat who is the fattest ever so I'm writing a tune as fat as he is with him as the vocal bassline and offbeat stab! Delays of loud cat purrs are f*ckin scary sh*t man!

xfive
17-02-2005, 10:32 PM
see what sort of f*cked up basslines when you sample your cat purring when it's asleep. I have hours of fun. Working on a track called "podge" named after my cat who is the fattest ever so I'm writing a tune as fat as he is with him as the vocal bassline and offbeat stab! Delays of loud cat purrs are f*ckin scary sh*t man!

:shock:

RDR
17-02-2005, 10:40 PM
getting old records and running them backwards through a hardware delay via a send on a DJ mixer, building up a loop by dropping in only minute portions of the track. gives a really warm analogue feel with wicked groove.

went to junk yard with a laptop and an sm58 and sampled 8'x8' closed steel tanks being smashed with a hammer, smashing car headlights, putting pipes in a washing machine, then went to a dry cleaners and a key cutters and took samples from there. automatic ticket dispenser at a railway station. crashed 10 shopping trolleys into another 10 shopping trolleys...

pans with varying amounts of water inside them.

Me shouting and screaming.

fireworks night was hard, but got a few wicked results of loud transients being reflected of houses 200 yards away.

:shock:

audioinjection
17-02-2005, 10:59 PM
damn, i think i gotta do some sampling like that as well lol

AcidTrash
18-02-2005, 03:48 AM
I just sampled my cat licking tuna off the duvet. There's a whole set in this animal I'm sure of it. Pursuading it do do this stuff live is going to be hard. Any suggestions? I still think getting 16 different toned geese in a row and torturing them with some kind of bicycle gearing would make an ideal replacement for a tb303 to give it that more live feel.

Evil G
18-02-2005, 04:17 AM
having a mic around the house is great.

made a ride cymbal out of a sample of a piece of paper being torn

have made some decent loops out of samples of locks being turned, doors closed, etc.

neilried
18-02-2005, 11:15 AM
I still think getting 16 different toned geese in a row and torturing them with some kind of bicycle gearing would make an ideal replacement for a tb303 to give it that more live feel.

:clap: Hats off to that one, I gotta get a mic if it leads to this kinda creativity :lol:

dulash
18-02-2005, 11:22 AM
saving my money for a portable recorder for some time now, do you guys have any sugestions.

RDR
18-02-2005, 11:51 AM
a decent microphone requires a pre-amp, so something that has a pre-amp onboard is essential.

There are several solutions

Laptop+usb interface+mic (this is what i used)

how about the marantz minidisc recorder? we use one at work. its expensive tho' but it is pro end stuff and gives wicked results, and has phantom power...

i guess the big quiestion is do you want to record where there is no possibility of a plug point or can you deal with that.

Broadcast quality equipment is very expensive, but the results are awesome.

neilried
18-02-2005, 11:53 AM
how about the marantz minidisc recorder? we use one at work. its expensive tho' but it is pro end stuff and gives wicked results, and has phantom power...

Am I right in assuming a run of the mill Sony MD recorder isnt worth using?

FIK
18-02-2005, 04:15 PM
I've read this one in FutureMusic. First take a cheap mic (with a long lead) and stick it in a glass jar. Tape it with gaffa, so the mic stays in it's place. Hit the record button and chuck ithe jar out of the window.

j_s
18-02-2005, 04:58 PM
been wanting to start recording my own samples for ages but haven't really got the cash to fork out for decent field recording gear.
heard some pretty usable noises watching an action film the other day tho, might have to give recording from dvds a go.....

mattboyslim
18-02-2005, 05:39 PM
you can get mini phantom power packs that run off batteries. pretty cheap i think. i know AKG make them , not sure of any others.

RDR
18-02-2005, 08:21 PM
you can get mini phantom power packs that run off batteries. pretty cheap i think. i know AKG make them , not sure of any others.

thats a wicked point

j_s
18-02-2005, 09:32 PM
interesting....

in that case, what would be the best bet for recording on the move (& on a budget)?

if a typical minidisc isn't up to scratch, what about something like this?
http://www.proaudiostore.co.uk/proddet.php?id=1272

The klubb Krayz
19-02-2005, 11:32 PM
i slamed the knife and falk draw and it sounded likew glass smashin

i ad a smashin time!

278d7e64a374de26f==