PDA

View Full Version :  I need a new set of headphones

sinner
23-10-2002, 08:47 PM
I just went through another set of headphones. This is 3 this year and I'm not even a DJ

Ive been working on headphones for the last few hours because my roomate is still sleeping, and I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out why the track I'm working on sounds funny in the left channel.

Turns out the headphones are messed up.

I have gone through denon sony and sennheiser, and I just cant find a set that stands up to my not too harsh use.

So I'm going to ask everyone for opinions on my next set.

Mike

You go in hard, and you go in fast.

JACKSTAR
23-10-2002, 11:07 PM
I have got 2 pairs of Technic DJ1200 headphones and I totally rate them against all other makes. I have used the Sony ones and they leak 40% of the sound so what's the point of them even though they look DOPE. The Sennheiser ones are good but the bloody leads always get tangled up or the cups break. The Pioneer ones are way too big and clumsy. Beyer ones are good for just studio use but too hot and heavy for DJing.

Technics DJ1200 - tough / sound fantastic / look good too.

Paul.

www.jackstar-recordings.com

www.paullangley.net

sinner
24-10-2002, 01:35 AM
My problems almost always stem from internal wiring. I move around alot with them, and I seem to shake alot of wires loose.

Except for the sennheisers which broke, I crazy glue'd them, and then they broke somewhere else.

Ill take a look at the technic and see if they fit on my head properly

Thanks

Mike

Eneah
24-10-2002, 03:59 AM
You the kind of person who enjoys their music so much they get up and walk off forgetting theyre still wearing the headphones?

I know no cure for this btw
Eneah >:)

DJZeMig_L
24-10-2002, 07:25 AM
Paul said it !!!!

Also the wire on the Technics can take a lot of punishment...

If u talk about studio use then u need something a little more on the flater response side :

Sen HD25 (very good but very unconfortable, harsh on the ears ... mainly because they're almost linear... also the wires and pads get wasted really fast)..

I like the audiotechnica ATH40fs .. not very expensive, confortable and long lasting...

Producing your tracks with headphones presents some probs though...

perception of dynamics (look at the levels in the VU/ leds on yer mixer software 2 compensate).

perception of stereo field...

U tend 2 hear "2 much detail" on a normal situation certain mellower (less volume) sounds wont b heard.

Z

sinner
24-10-2002, 01:29 PM
Yeah I know what you mean about creating on headphones. I've run into that problem before. Its just I dont have anything near a normal schedule, since what pays me money isnt a typical 9-5 job, I find myself in positions like now. 3:30 am, and I have just woken up. I cant make a whole bunch of noise for a few more hours, and those would be wasted if I didnt use headphones.

I love looking for all those tiny details with headphones though. Sometimes its not productive trying to chase down tiny artifacts you cant normally hear, but I dont mind wasting the time on it.

Mike

Esox Lucius
25-10-2002, 04:11 PM
my mate has got the seinnheiser hd25`s and they are very very good...light & excellent sound quality...the lead is a bit on the small side though.

sinner
25-10-2002, 05:07 PM
I was looking at their website, and found this

The HD 25 SP-1 is a pair of closed dynamic headphones for persons with severe hearing impairment.

well they certainly have my number dont they.

Mike

You go in hard, and you go in fast.Edited by: sinner at: 10/25/02 11:08:35 am

MARKEG
25-10-2002, 06:22 PM
Look guys.

HD25's (the split headband version) I will swear by. One of the speaker's have blown on me once in 5 years. That's it... And errmmm.... I've lost them over 6 times... but hey, that's down to me and my scaty brain:=]

They've never physically broken on me and HEY I sure some of you know how crazy I go sometimes!!!!!

MARKEG
25-10-2002, 06:24 PM
I'd like to add to that the sound quality is great. I use them for mastering in the studio and although I have a few problems when eqing hi-mid range and top on them and have listen to proper speakers, the general feel of the whole track compared to a 300 pound set of studio monitors is, well.... hardly noticable....

sinner
25-10-2002, 07:09 PM
my previous set of sennheisers (the model escapes me now) had the little stupid head fitting strap underneath the plastic one. Well that broke off, and made the headphones impossible to fit on my head anymore, and then the plastic cracked on them because I was stupid

I'm going to bring a cd in to the store and see how the HD25s sound for me, but with the rating you guys have given it, I dont think I'll be disappointed

Mike

DJZeMig_L
26-10-2002, 06:52 AM
What Paul & I said was about djing...

I Have "in the studio" HD25 and Audiotechnica ATMh-40fs... so if it is about mixing and I can't make noise .. I generally use HD25 and then do a simple comp. just 4 checking on the Audio-tech.... for general soundcreation, sketching of tracks I love my HD25 'cause they have Punch... but I still this the cable is a mess (and the ear pads)... Plus until U hav' em shapped 2 yer head .. they really crush yer ears.. 2 me the are very unconfortable!!

4 djing ... DJ1200 technics... they work 4 me!

Z

TripleX
27-10-2002, 12:25 AM
i also use the technics (but i only dj).

i used to have the sony´s but they broke after just 2 month.

DJZeMig_L
29-10-2002, 10:53 AM
HD475!

Z

Adverse
01-04-2003, 05:53 PM
yaaaaa i just got me a pair of HD 25's for 99 quid on ebay ! heheheheh it's allllllllll over now.

Basil Rush
03-04-2003, 04:33 PM
www.headphone.com - worthy site

Jimfish
11-04-2003, 02:06 PM
I just bought a pair of beyer dynamic dt770s for the studio but now i have used them i bit im starting to get the feeling that they are a bit excessivly warm sounding... especially compared to my k-roks.....hmm
Anyone had experience with 770's???

Barely Human
12-04-2003, 12:35 PM
Ive had an idea! If your headphones are to clean sounding for monitoring, buy the cheapest headphones you can buy(you know, the ones with the thin metal band, and the tiny, bright red cups coverd in foam!) And if you can get it to sound good on them, then your tune will sound ace on a p.a!

Barely Human
12-04-2003, 12:36 PM
Hahaha

Barely Human
12-04-2003, 12:36 PM
Dont take me seriosly!!

And dont use them for Dj sets!

278d7e64a374de26f==