PDA

View Full Version : Hip-Hop lyrics with techno.

MARKEG
13-05-2003, 12:09 AM
Well DAVE The Drummer, Chrissi and I used them for a track (Hydraulix 16). The london guys have used them alot recently actually. And then we have Ignitian Technician/Player with their use of Hip-Hop acapellas.

What does everyone reckon to all this? When I'm at a party, they really make sense cause it's something to smile to, something to 'shake your booty' too. But then when I'm at home playing through some of these tracks individually I think it just seems like the lyrics have been added with no real thought sometimes. Similar to some of UMEK's stuff using hi-pitched tribal lyrics.

I think some serious quality control is urgently needed here. What does everyone else think?

massplanck
13-05-2003, 12:17 AM
I think some serious quality control is urgently needed here. What does everyone else think?

I dunno. I like em but you are right in some sense they are getting a bit out of control. They can be used to hide a bad track, then again they can make a good track sound great!!

Usually DJ's just throw one of them in a set to spice things up. Lets hope we dont here a whole set of the sh*t!!

I'm a huge Pro-jex fan though and if you want some mad booty action check out DJ-Deeons 'tear the club up'... its mad.. i love it i love it i love it.

The vocal border on cheese sometimes but at least they aint sampled, its all him (or DJ Funk). Its a mad track go listen... i always drop it in the middle of a banging percussive set just to watch the expressions on peoples faces.

Tear the club up
Tear the club up
Tear the club up
The f*cking club up

I'm emulated, imitated, now I'll show who originated it.. bang!!

Sunil
13-05-2003, 12:30 AM
One of the best recent techno tracks I've heard that uses a hip hop style vocal is the one on Kobayashi from last year by C.Denza, was really dark synth driven techno with an equally menacing vocal, both very complimentary to one another. I've heard the vocal in its original form since but forget who it was by...

miromiric.
13-05-2003, 12:33 AM
i like to listen in the club what i listen at home.
lyrics are out of the question for me.
they just dont let u go away with music.
only abstract form of language treated as sound can lead u to higher states of mind.

Sunil
13-05-2003, 12:37 AM
Getting back to Mark's original point of quality control: If it's overdone then it just becomes 100% recycled techno, nothing else. Nice in moderation but when your whole sound is based around catchy vocal samples and not a whole lot underneath, I think the next step can only be one thing...Hardhouse!!!

Sunil
13-05-2003, 12:40 AM
Btw: Hydraulix 16 is great, hip hop vocals that really work, rockin' EP!

gunjack
13-05-2003, 07:38 AM
i put a krs1 sample in dm001 b1 "ghetto bird" check it out please! still available through www.integralemuzique.co.uk

b

T
13-05-2003, 10:13 AM
Any lyrics or other ways of adding to techno sounds with more traditional sounds (eg organs/percussion) is all good in my book. Samuel L/Andreas saag/Colin Dale have all incorporated lyrics and live instruments with their techno sounds. Liberator et al's Cluster 50 has some nice lyrics on the Temperature drop track. The more diverse the music the better.

matt303
13-05-2003, 11:32 AM
For me the best track to use hip hop vocals is Hydraulix 11, an absolute anthemn of a tune...but i agree some quality control is needed, most of the stuff i listen to and play (london based hard techno) seems to have that control...they've done it and moved on . I like good vocal samples in techno, if they add to the tune, RAW9 for example, but a poor tune is a poor tune even if it's got a quality sample.

TripleX
13-05-2003, 11:56 AM
HipHop lyrics rock, has anyone heard player12?
i used to listen to a lot of hip hop before i got to techno, it kinda remebers me in good old times :mrgreen:
i sometimes use scratch records to sample some vocals in a set

meri
13-05-2003, 05:03 PM
I love all sorts of vocals in techno... hiphop samples, Horrorist-style stories, DJ Rush craziness and dirty booty-bass samples like DJ Deeon uses (what other labels do this style of jackin techno?).

It's just a case of playing them at the right time... and not too often.

massplanck
13-05-2003, 05:56 PM
I love all sorts of vocals in techno... hiphop samples, Horrorist-style stories, DJ Rush craziness and dirty booty-bass samples like DJ Deeon uses (what other labels do this style of jackin techno?).

It's just a case of playing them at the right time... and not too often.

ur bang on there!!

I dont know of many more apart from pro-jex, player & databass.

meri
13-05-2003, 06:03 PM
Cheers massplank.

Does anyone know who distributes Pro-jex? I'm still trying to find DJ Rush mix of "Get On Up".

TripleX
13-05-2003, 06:55 PM
try Fined records, if you like projex.
projex distribution: victoria music

Patrick
13-05-2003, 08:18 PM
Cheers massplank.

Does anyone know who distributes Pro-jex? I'm still trying to find DJ Rush mix of "Get On Up".

Hey Meri, I don't know the distributor, but I might know a man who does. I'll get back to you.
And maybe I shouldn't tell you this, but I got it on Juno the other day. 8)
It looks like it's out of stock now though, sorry.

But it is showing as in-stock with a couple of retailers on Gemm if you just want a single copy for yourself.

crime
13-05-2003, 08:32 PM

Dancemania were the originators of this kind of thing pretty much (Where funk, deeon, Poindexter, Robert Armani and the rest of them first released), and some of their releases were appauling, total hit and miss label, you'd end up buying a record for one of the six trax, I've even bought records just to sample before.. They did do some really classic stuff though which goes down wicked in a techno set, Eric Martin and the Traxmen "Ride me baby" was a particular fave ( as Sampled on don't 01)

I Love the sound of chicago though, especially the new guys, Nehpets, Sluggo and Clent.. Totally underground, totally ghetto...

I think there is a bit of bandwagon jumping going on though, and this is where you get the less quality trax....

massplanck
13-05-2003, 09:05 PM
I Love the sound of chicago though, especially the new guys, Nehpets, Sluggo and Clent.. Totally underground, totally ghetto...

I think there is a bit of bandwagon jumping going on though, and this is where you get the less quality trax....

Cheers 4 the new names!! must investigate.. what labels r these guys pumping out the tunes on?

crime
13-05-2003, 09:25 PM
Check out:

Jackstar
Public Housing
Dance Mania (Now Defunct, but there are some classics still knocking around)

Also if you're into the electro ghettotech stuff check out Databass, it's more ghetto, but theres occasionally some good 4/4 trax, personal fave of mine is Databass 38 by Waxmaster, one of the original Chicago guys....

ROD
14-05-2003, 12:24 AM
i love the hydraulix11.......
the newest subvert is really cool too.
is ANT and MR ROLAND.....
ow my god..........!
cheers ROD

DJZeMig_L
14-05-2003, 09:25 AM
If any1 is still looking 4 Fined recordings releases I'm sad 2 inform it's over (at least 4 now!!). Integrale didn't really do they're thing properly (where is my mo' u bitc** :( :evil: ) so I'm bound 2 have my stuff scattered thru other labels, ... the usual suspects r Djax, Minimalistix, Holzplatten, .. I might b doing some stuff 4 Bam Bam's new label....

I luv the old dance Mania stuff... (like Mark said it's preatty miss hit and miss though)...
Tell ya what though the early releas. and some on databass and other stuff is a bit 2 light of the prodution side... mainly the crazy funny vocals really stand on it's own... so the thing 4 me needs a crossing with more bangin' perc. chicago style... then why not go all out and mix it with more tweeky/ synth driven/ minimal techno.....

Don't forget Urban!!! AND OF COURSE PAUL LANGLEY, JACKSTAR RECORDINGS!!!

4 checking some booty stuff log on to www.planetxusa.com (then u need 2 click on planetxusa 2 actually log 2 the shop... dj shop/ search/ techno/ substyle Chicago.... feast yer eyes and ears)....

DJZeMig_L
14-05-2003, 09:29 AM
Crime that waxmaster is actually 1/2 a repress of the original in Dance Mania... I used 2 spinn it loads!! :)

This is not so brilliant, though I was surprised when I saw the producer!!

Whiplash - ghetto tears ... Loaded records ....

The rest I'll leave 4 u guys!!

Z

Jimfish
14-05-2003, 09:41 AM
is hydraullix 11 the one with that awfull "turntabe, turntabe, turntabe......2 turntables" sample
that track reallly did my head in...the sample just sounded totoally out of place imo...

ampassasinbirmingham
14-05-2003, 12:52 PM
i prefered the flip "place your turntables in front of your guest"

EzMoney
15-05-2003, 06:19 AM
imho opinion I think hip hop techno has extreme potential..........however I 2 srtongly agree with Mr Eg on the idea that it should have some quality control........ hydro 11 fits into the kick ass category 4 sure(and the sample is "move it up and down like a chevy 64) another stomper is on pimp records (pimp005) it a remix of redmans"lets get dirty" and i think its one hell of a track(4 a remix)......however my current favoritre 4 ghettoness is by ant(aint no stoppin this side b) boyaa. 8)

Louk
15-05-2003, 09:28 AM
RAW 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Most Of All We Need To Funk...."

Louk

matt303
15-05-2003, 04:03 PM
I think vocals work really well when they merge with the tune and become one of the many parts of percussion etc that make up the tune as a whole...i think DAVE the drummer is really good at this, and i personally like hydraulix 14 and other tunes like that because the vocal becomes just another loop in the tune rather than dominating it.

anx
16-05-2003, 06:28 PM
is hydraullix 11 the one with that awfull "turntabe, turntabe, turntabe......2 turntables" sample
that track reallly did my head in...the sample just sounded totoally out of place imo...

thats hydraulix 14 mang

hydraulix 11 is the one with the "movin up and down in my chevy 6-4!"

anx
16-05-2003, 06:29 PM
RAW 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Louk

worst hip hop techno track EVER

Dustin Zahn
18-05-2003, 03:48 AM
I'm always down for some hip hop vocals, but like many things in life, too much can ruin a good thing. For instance, I think the Pimp label goes a bit overboard, but I really liked the Funk remix of Angel Alanis' "Shake that ass and bounce those tits" track. It was very simple, not overly ghey, and easy to throw down on the third deck.

daviec
18-05-2003, 01:22 PM
"Shake that ass and bounce those tits" track. .
girl

If you came to party!!! :!: :!: :!:

Oh yeah!!!

Saturday afternoon and I'm wrecked 8) :D

MikeDust
03-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Super:Vision - Sniper/Razorblade (Entry) - i play this one all the time 8)

spiralx
12-06-2003, 05:28 PM
Subvert 4 - Hoochie Mamma. Sweet :)

Pathogen
17-06-2003, 12:43 AM
check out Pimp records ... classic booty shakin material from the likes of wilco/pete simpson (ignition technition).
Pimp 5 is definatly fallling into the hiphop/techno crossover.
guess im just a suker for those dirty lyrics :D

more info:http://www.discogs.com/label/Pimp_Records

Philth
19-06-2003, 11:28 PM
everything is cyclic.
hip hop lyrics in techno have had their day and will quickly disappear. much like the screaming 303's are no longer a part of many acid techno tracks. after the decline of the screamin' 303 sound, then the hard tribal sound was pushed to the front. now it's the catchy hip hop lyrics... soon it will be something else.

to me, it seems that certain people lead the way and then everyone else follows. i'm not saying that is a bad thing, but that's why the market gets saturated and then people get sick of that sound, then something new emerges.

maybe polka-style techo will be next... yikes.

peace,
phil

miasma man
20-06-2003, 11:15 PM
evolution ?

278d7e64a374de26f==