PDA

View Full Version : perc arrange!

nova
26-02-2005, 01:26 PM
hi,
ive been tring to get some nic techy perc. ive got the sounds for it but its the arrange mainly. having the problem of my perc like bongos and fills sounding abit cheese'e. i can get it quiet techy. isit suteable to hav some perc on 1/24 in sted of 1/16. is anyone doing this?. sounds cool gets techy but can sound mess'e.

and time streching perc loops with kontakts time machine. thats ok yeah? its not just for vocals isit? coz heard of peeps using for different tasks other than drum loops perc loops in time

Milesy
27-02-2005, 09:12 PM
if you want a more techy feel. put them through a lowpass/highpass
filter and turn up the resonance a little... like the delta filter :love:

Metadog
28-02-2005, 09:23 PM
i tend to keep it mostly on the 16th beats, but use some delays settings now and again that correlate to 24ths

loopdon
28-02-2005, 10:35 PM
you can stick to straight 16 to create a techy feel.

you could add shuffle /tempodelay...
apply some dist, perhaps and verb.

if you have a randomize feature - use it.

try premade perc-loops from sample-cds, learn what makes them sound the way they sound.

try to recreate them on your own,
rearrange slices (can be done with fruity slicer - if you are using fruity that is),
use the loops as they come,
apply effects,
pitch down,
lowpass + res for a bassline...etc.

just some ideas...

and whatever you do: get good quality samples, i can't stress this enuff :cool:

loopdon
28-02-2005, 10:36 PM
i tend to keep it mostly on the 16th beats, but use some delays settings now and again that correlate to 24ths

please go into detail, this is interesting :twisted:

Metadog
28-02-2005, 10:49 PM
for instance, if you were working at 150 bpm, a 16th note delay setting would be 100 ms, and 8th setting would be 200ms, a quarter note delay setting would be 400ms

to get into triplet or 24th territory, maybe use 300ms or 150 ms delay settings, fractions like that

dunno if i have explained it well or not but i hope so

;)

nova
28-02-2005, 11:33 PM
yeah man thats well anoth. i kind of like using clocked delays. bit easyer to get it tight. but alot of things plunins etc seem to be in ms. got the sounds for it i think. techno id, ueber tech/trance, native synthdrums, thats the samples ive been using also got a drumstation. and im on logic.

was tring tempo match with logics audio. wicked feature. anyway. it was working but the loops are at about 130bpm and logics on 155bpm right when i tempo matched the loop it brought logics tempo down to wot the loop was 130bpm. but i wanted it to bring the tempo of the loop up to logics tempo155. so i then time streched the loop up to about 155 with kontakt and saved it with kontakt. but now the time streched loop wont open in logic. so kontakts saved it inits owen format?. is there some software i can get to stick all my loops in bring the tempo of um all up and sav um back as wavs?.

yeah the reverb on the perc .would you hav all the tight fast fills and percs say with some delay and dist. and then the big fat ones that you olny hear every now and again with some reverb on um.?

yeah the 1/24 sequeces did sound abit much sound smart tho just dropping in on that for 1 bar out of 16 on the 16th. yeah the delays of the 1/16 making1/24 will help the sound i think. hav the delays quiter then on the 1/24s. cheers forall the tips peeps

loopdon
01-03-2005, 08:17 AM
for instance, if you were working at 150 bpm, a 16th note delay setting would be 100 ms, and 8th setting would be 200ms, a quarter note delay setting would be 400ms

to get into triplet or 24th territory, maybe use 300ms or 150 ms delay settings, fractions like that

;)

thanx, amigo!

loopdon
01-03-2005, 08:21 AM

;)

this proggy can do do delay-calculations like that *free*:

Scal

http://www.expdigital.co.uk/site/software/images/scalmontage.jpg

Scal is a calculator dedicated to musical tasks. Delay time, lfo frequency, timestretch amounts, bpm determination plus many more are available.
Still available is the original SCalV4. Soon to be release are the VST version of Scal (for plugged in calculation inside you sequencer), plus Java versions for MacOs, Linux and any other Java compatible device

http://www.expdigital.co.uk/site/software/scalv4.htm

Mattias Fridell (emb)
01-03-2005, 11:07 AM
When you´re happy with the percussion, sub them down to a subtrack together with the bassdrum and add some compressor on it, either sidechain it or insert it (i prefer the insert), and pump it all together.

The percussion shouldn´t be too damn dynamic, they just have to be there and slam a little.

And as Nova said; the clocked delays are great to put on stuff like this.

acidsaturation
01-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Just a little note on tempo delays - I use this one - it's wicked!
http://www.sonicspot.com/bluelineplugins/bluelineplugins.html

Metadog
01-03-2005, 07:05 PM
the calculators are good but i use a bit of paper with numbers written on it

stone age techno !

dan the acid man
01-03-2005, 07:43 PM
the calculators are good but i use a bit of paper with numbers written on it

stone age techno !

us northerners know how to keep it real, we dont need all this new technology :lol:

loopdon
01-03-2005, 09:38 PM
mighht be useful, hehe

Voxengo Tempo Delay

http://www.voxengo.com/freevst/TempoDelay.jpg

This VST PlugIn is a "packed-with-features" delay module based on tempo, incorporating EQ and tremolo sections with separate controls for each output channel. Instead of a single "length" control this plug-in implements two separate "delay" and "length" controls which allows you to create evenly sounding "ping-pong" echoes.

http://www.voxengo.com/downloads/#VoxengoTempoDelayVST

http://www.voxengo.com/files/VoxengoTempoDelayVST15.zip

nova
02-03-2005, 04:41 PM
cool, cheers for putting all the links up. hey guys on recycle can you take wav speed them up then save them back as wav. coz got loads of loops but there all to slow. was just think was there any software that can doit. then thout recyle might beable to. anyone kno

maily
02-03-2005, 04:58 PM
.....hey guys on recycle can you take wav speed them up then save them back as wav. coz got loads of loops but there all to slow. was just think was there any software that can doit. then thout recyle might beable to. anyone kno

not as a single wave file but it will export the slices with a midi file, so you can load them into a (soft)sampler and trigger them at whatever tempo you like.

hope that helps.

nova
02-03-2005, 05:05 PM
ah. is there anything else that can save back as wavs. cool cheers

loopdon
02-03-2005, 08:19 PM
you can do timestretching on wavelab/soundforge (?) etc. as well.

jesus
02-03-2005, 09:07 PM
cubase has got the best timestrecth algorhtym cant remeber which one though.

sash
03-03-2005, 08:21 AM
degrade ur perc to something like 8bit 11hz. dirty em up. Delay your delays....

nova
03-03-2005, 08:25 PM
can you save them back as wav after its been timestreched with soundforge/wavlab. just want to get loads of loops speed them up and sav them as wavs. sort of like my own sample cd. so got the loops all at the sort of speed i work at. already

loopdon
03-03-2005, 10:06 PM
yes, you can :!:

nova
03-03-2005, 10:34 PM
cool thanks loopdon. hav you used cooledit before?. does cooledit sav them back as wavs aswell?. coz thats spoz to be quite good aswell. im not making a sample cd to sale or anything. just so i got all my loops at a decent speed to start with. then can just load them straight up into logics audio

nova
03-03-2005, 11:10 PM
how would you go about subing the perc down with the kick mattias. i use logic. and when you say perc does that included hi hats claps and snares and that. not just bongos and fills and the kick drums. ive been just having a comp on a bus channel then sending wot i want to that bus. dont kno if thats the right way to doit or not. and hav been wanting to setup a sidechain with the comp for kick and bass. cheers

nova
12-03-2005, 10:10 PM
loopdon the tempo delay was just for pc. do you of any for mac. and filter with lfo plugin. ;)

geelist
13-03-2005, 12:23 AM
To side chain with logics compressor on 5.5 on pc, i bounce down the kick drum(if its an audio instrument), put the bounced kick on say audio track 1 then use the compressor as an insert on the bass track (or audio instrument, dont send it to a bus, youll just be defeating the object) then click the side chain box on the compressor and select the audio track the kick drum is on (audio track 1 in this case) err yeah...hope thats makes sense, its late and ive had a few :doh: what was the question again?????

nova
13-03-2005, 10:54 AM
yes yes yes, side chaining. thats helped alot. not all of the logic comps hav that box tho saying sidechain. which logic comp do you use?.

geelist
13-03-2005, 04:04 PM
The only compressor without the side chaining box on 5.5 is the multipressor. i generally just use the standard compressor, not the silver compressor.

nova
13-03-2005, 07:15 PM
ah ive been using silver comp.i tak it that hasnt got the sidechain thing at top. im on logic 6 mac ;) cheers man

geelist
14-03-2005, 01:01 AM
You can side chain with the silver compressor on 5.5 and theres nothing wrong with it but the standard compressor has the knee function and looks better ;) Maybe some of the more experienced people on this forum will tell you if theres much diference between the two sound wise.

nova
15-03-2005, 11:47 AM
cool, silver comp hasnt got sidechain thing at the top. ive seen it on the es1, sidechain thing where you just click anb hold it and select wot channel you wonna sidechain. but cant see that option on silver comp logic6

278d7e64a374de26f==