PDA

View Full Version : Your very 1st night at a techno club?

Frank Dogshit
01-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Where was it?Who was playing?Who took you there?

And was it the 1st time that had you hooked? :cool:

dan the acid man
01-03-2005, 05:45 PM
at a club called the arches in sheffield, it was mostly residents playing, with ddr as the special guest ( they meant to book D.A.V.E th drummer, they asked for dave and got dave ddr, not realising D.A.V.E the drummer was actually called henry :lol: )

Anway, i knew it was going to be a good night, once i saw people swinging from the light fittings :rambo: :twisted: :dance:

Traxx
01-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Bugged out about 5 years ago. I know dave clarke was on & justin robertson, cant remember who else was on i was only 17. Went nearly every month after that for years until it went shit. Goin there got me out of a life of cheese bars/clubs & even cheesier music.

Frank Dogshit
01-03-2005, 05:57 PM
i first went to voodoo think it was 1999 an allnighter at the soundfactory anyway....took me a while to get into it as my friends at the time were into to other shite forms of dance music so was difficult to get to the techno nights. didnt have a clue who was on at the time,but i do remember a dj blowing my brains out with some of the best technical shit id seen. about a year later found out it was ben sims. :lol:

many more trips to voodoo after that and i was hooked.

Tony
01-03-2005, 06:00 PM
i was organisinig various free parties and pub do's from the age of thirteen. then slipped into house of gods 3rd birthday after an angel with dreads told me it was what i was looking for, but i got chucked out for being clearly far too young a techno punk! then after tons of other free parties, jeff mills at atomic jam with decks and a 909 blew all the other parties i'd previously been to away. i had been to many other clubs previously, despite being too young and not drinking or taking drugs, but that one FELT like the first cos it was the relentlessness that i had been searching for.

ds2
01-03-2005, 06:02 PM
went to all the local techno/jungle/hardcore clubs for a few years before trying out the very shadey sounding orbit in 92. it was sven vath the first night followed by richard james the week after. game over...

Fordy
01-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Atomic Jam 30th November 2002 @ Code. Still have the ticket for some reason, which is why I know the exact date :roll: ;)

Jeff Mills, Funk D'Void, Ade Fenton, Tony Work.

Was 16, brother took me. Had been going to hard house events and godskitchen alot, so he wanted to show me some real music. Had listened to techno at home or whatever and never really got it untill I walked into the club I turned to my mate and just fcuking hell this is the dogs bollox.

Up untill this point, although I was getting into hard house and buying it as my mates I went out with were into it, I wasnt really into any form of dance music, was more into hip hop before but this night turned me onto techno.

maily
01-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Orbit 1999, Surgeon & Billy Nasty.

nuff said :shock:

Frank Dogshit
01-03-2005, 06:13 PM
i find it funny how you cant really get someone into techno by just giving them a mix to listen to....they have to be there and experience it for it to have any effect.

first few times i heard techno on tapes i thought it was gash. :oops:

Tony
01-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Atomic Jam 30th November 2002 @ Code. Still have the ticket for some reason, which is why I know the exact date :roll: ;)

Was 16, brother took me. Had been going to hard house events and godskitchen alot, so he wanted to show me some real music. Had listened to techno at home or whatever and never really got it untill I walked into the club I turned to my mate and just flippin hell this is the dogs bollox.

Up untill this point, although I was getting into hard house and buying it as my mates I went out with were into it, I wasnt really into any form of dance music, was more into hip hop before but this night turned me onto techno.

shucks, i feel old. ya young whipper snapper :)

Mirsha
01-03-2005, 06:14 PM
Five years ago at a club called Subtle Logic in Edinburgh, their second last ever night. I hadn't been planning on going there, I was actually going to go to a trance club called Sublime down the road but by the time I arrived there were riot vans outside the place so I skipped it and headed to the only other club I knew that was on.

When I got there I discovered there were ten people who all knew each other there and that was it for the night (I did say it was their second last night for a reason!), I knew no one so I was feeling really feeling as an odd man out. I got a drink and prayed that the place would get busier so I could hide in the crowd, my prayers were not answered, I contemplated leaving but was enjoying the music so got on the dancefloor amongst the four other people dancing and just went for it for the remainder of the night. Had a good time, really enjoyed the music and everything so I went back the next month for the last night where it was rammed to the gills!

Fordy
01-03-2005, 06:23 PM
i find it funny how you cant really get someone into techno by just giving them a mix to listen to....they have to be there and experience it for it to have any effect.

first few times i heard techno on tapes i thought it was gash. :oops:

I know man, when I heard it on tape for the first time (adam beyer essential mix 2002, which admittedly was on a car stereo), I did like it but it just didnt grab me but the minute you hear it on a proper system you understand.

Then you go back to that mix and realise how fcuking great it is, this mix is still my favourite ever recorded mix.

Fordy
01-03-2005, 06:26 PM

Was 16, brother took me. Had been going to hard house events and godskitchen alot, so he wanted to show me some real music. Had listened to techno at home or whatever and never really got it untill I walked into the club I turned to my mate and just flippin hell this is the dogs bollox.

shucks, i feel old. ya young whipper snapper :)

Lol :lol:

g
01-03-2005, 07:04 PM
you feel old huh... ;)

Derrick May
The Music Institute
1315 Broadway, Detroit, MI.

I was 18.

dirty_bass
01-03-2005, 07:27 PM
At a dive in hackney called the four aces
years ago
I was blown away.
Bunch of squat DJ`s playing filthy techno.

Dabble
01-03-2005, 07:57 PM
First techno party for me was a Mutant Dance free party in a Bristol warehouse in 1995. That was when you'd get up to a 1000 munters all on the same vibe with vertually the whole place dancing. I loved it so much I started going to free parties every weekend. My first club night came a few months later which was Shimmy, at the now defunct Club Loco. Shimmy was an awesome night, packed to the rafters with sweat dripping off the ceiling. The Shimmy boys, Simmer & Stuart (well known on the free party scene), were fantastic DJ's & to this day I hold Shimmy as one of the most exciting & enjoyable club nights I've ever been to. Some may remember that Shimmy set up there own label, but it didn't really do too well & then they stopped their club nights in about 2001. A great club night when Bristol back then, bar London, was the best place for techno with a whole range of techno clubs & free parties week in, week out.

audioinjection
01-03-2005, 08:06 PM
my first techno party was in 1997 if i remember correctly, but it was in this warehouse..............mainly local djs spinning that night, forgot who they were haha, but yeah it was a fun night

Mucky Beats
01-03-2005, 08:22 PM
wired in the george bar.... all local talent... only about 20 of us in there and it closed at 12..... but it was great ! those where the days :love:

Stella Boy
01-03-2005, 08:37 PM
About '92 I spent 3 hours in the bottom floor of Basics at the old Music Factory in Leeds listening to the best music I'd ever heard, the time flew by and found out on the way home i'd be listening to billy nasty. A few weeks later I was at the orbit for the first time listening to Sven Vath and went every week for nearly 5 years after that.

ampassasinbirmingham
01-03-2005, 08:45 PM

I was 16 and went to speedy j and ritchie hawtin at the jam in feb 2002. My mates took me and said i would love it. I was into old skool and mellow, i thought id hate techno, i thought it would be far to hard.

After a speedy j meltdown and a 3hr hawtin set i was converted forever.

I then went to the record shop and bought my first two techno records

Drumcode 3
Midnight club trax 2.

I then started going to many parties an meeting many people. One of whom was tony from this board. I went to a party and chatted to him about techno (of which i knew **** all about) and he actually listened, which i thought was very kind, cus if some kid came up to me and ranted about techno and didnt know anything id like to think id chat but id probarbly just make my excuses and head to the bar.

Rant over (the good old days :roll: :roll:

oldbugger
01-03-2005, 08:52 PM
:shock: i feel so bloody old now. cant remember at all to be honest.

it was a long long time ago :oops: first time experiencing house music was 1987 fuk knows who was playing . there wasn't really any dedicated techno events/nights back then. and i cant remember when there was either :doh:

audioinjection
01-03-2005, 09:04 PM

it was a long long time ago :oops: first time experiencing house music was 1987 fuk knows who was playing . there wasn't really any dedicated techno events/nights back then. and i cant remember when there was either :doh:

maybe thats why your name is oldbugger??

oldbugger
01-03-2005, 09:10 PM

maybe thats why your name is oldbugger??

i never thought of that :doh:

;) :lol:

eyes without a face
01-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Voodoo, cant remember the date, i was 16, Billy Nasty and Ruskin were on if i remember rightly, at La Bateau

nuff said!

fatcollective
01-03-2005, 11:31 PM
for me it all started at Club Kinetic in 94..then off to an out door party after that but the first proper techno techno CLUB was the orange peel in rhyl in about 96, small, dark and dirty and i loved it.

zoid

miss bass
01-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Mine was either Atomic Jam or HOG at sanctuary, cant think, it must have been about 2 years ago . :lol: pathetic techno history lol.

Think one of the first ones was Jam New Years eve for a 'proper' tech night. Marco Bailey n ppl who i think naaah but helped convert me somewhat into the never ending boundaries of logic in a music genre called TECHNO!

Sunil
02-03-2005, 12:01 AM
I can't remember to be honest, when I started going out there were few techno only clubs. You'd hear a different mix of styles. One of the first all-techno acts I saw play were Empirion, really good hard techno.. was in a club in Dublin called the Ormond Multi Media Centre in 1995 I think. Saw Coxy, Nasty and even Darren Emerson play some cracking techno sets in there. Some of you mightn't believe me but Robert Miles (of "Children" fame) played a wicked techno set in there one night, he encored with "Children" alright, but the rest was :rambo:

marginmaster
02-03-2005, 10:39 AM
i caught the train to Club UK in wandsworth, 10 odd years ago,prob about 17.
i was simply blown away, id been to free parties but walking into the techno room with Pascal hammering out the techno was a moment i never forget, everything changed. i was straight but the music and atmosphere made me rush like a blow monkey(?).............................
Tanith was there too, mucky mixing but it didnt matter, hes a legend

Stretch
02-03-2005, 10:45 AM

I went to this one, Funk D'void was a no-show. Missed his flight or something. Fenton ended up playing through till Mills came on. He started ok but i remember thinking the last hour or so he was having to resort to the dregs of his record box. Also remember gettin stressed cus there was no room to dance.

Anyway....not sure it was my first techno night but one that sticks in my mind was a H.O.G with I think Inigo Kennedy and a very scary live set from Ibrahim Alfa (bought' 2000ish). It absolutley rocked! Bumped into loads of people I already knew from my home town after years of thinking I had no mates into techno. Doh! Only missed a couple of HOG's since.
Also went to a Jam possibly with Luke Slater. All i remember was the flyer design. Had paper clips all over it. Think that might have been before HOG.

acidsaturation
02-03-2005, 12:18 PM
The Arches in Sheffield, DIY soundsystem, 10 years ago, My Boss (fed me drugs!)

That was house though...

Discovered techno later that year, with Megadog, Templehead... Think first proper techno would have been Sven Vath playing at Leeds Uni...

crazyxray
02-03-2005, 12:30 PM
My first techno event was the "Paradise City" Rave in Cologne the 1st of June 1994. It was just unbelievable to see this 2000 freaks freakin to the music of:

Carl Cox, Colin Dale, DJ Hell, Daz Sound, Trevor Rockcliffe, Tanith, DJ Dick, Mate Galic, Steve Mason, Colin Favor, Marc Spoon, Roland Casper, DJ Dag, Kid Paul, Oliver Bondzio, Paul Cooper, Westbam, Marusha, Hardsequencer -Live-,

neko
02-03-2005, 03:05 PM
my first techno night was either bugged out or voodoo at le bateau.
when i first moved over to england in 2001.
can't remember which one i went to first, my student days are all one big haze.

fitipaldi
02-03-2005, 03:16 PM
the first techno club I went to was Atomic Jam in may 2001 to see Sven Vath and Umek at the Que club. Was absolutly amazed and hooked from the moment I walked in the main room! ah, the memories :lol:

Frank Dogshit
02-03-2005, 03:20 PM
my first techno night was either bugged out or voodoo at le bateau.
when i first moved over to england in 2001.
can't remember which one i went to first, my student days are all one big haze.

think yours was the bugged out birthday with dave clarke,christian smith and justin robertson. only me and rowan went,bless him.
was a fukin ace night tho,even clarkey was dancing in the courtyard. dropped 'slam me down' near the end went right off!!!! :cool:

schlongfingers
02-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Amorphous (which turned into Ugly Funk a couple of years later) @ The Underground in Leicester Feb23rd 1996 methinks :D

Cristian Vogel, BWPT crew and more, what a wicked night.

First techno experiences were free parties tho.

The Overfiend
02-03-2005, 05:49 PM
some spots in nyc 1992
lot of socialites , graf types, thugs alike hanging together buggin on hip hop of the times and house music
dope as **** times till the new millenium snuck up
limelight yearswere dope too..
first time i heard touche recoirs were in nyc's limelight.

Katie
03-03-2005, 01:44 PM
mine was bugged out bout 2 years ago i think for green velvet and fc kahuna, i think! but spose i had been to creamfields before but hadn't really been into techno until then really! what was i missing out on! :roll: :doh:

Patrick
03-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Can't remember exactly but it was in black & white with mono sound.

iffi
03-03-2005, 11:50 PM
'98 or '99-can't remember which.
Future Funk v House of God @ the maze in Bristol.
The drugs sure worked that night. ;)

Esox Lucius
04-03-2005, 09:14 AM
first 'proper' techno night - voodoo about 99, billy nasty i think it was.

heard techno in the technodrome, north etc before then.

curly
05-03-2005, 12:50 PM
My first techno club was DoIt in southend, sort of uplifting techno (think reactivate 10,11 and 12) in 96-97, where Beamish was playing and loved it. The following week I went to the same venue on my own to a Bio Systems party, Hard Techno with a live PA by interlect 3000 (smitten 2 & 3), There were less people there but I absolutly loved it, This was the night that changed my life

Francisco Scaramanga
05-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Atomic Jam 2nd bday, August 1997, and I think Dave Clarke, Funk D'void, Trevor Rockcliffe, and Chris Liberator were playing, plus then residents Tony Work and Nathan Gregory. And Fabio & Grooverider in the D'n'B room. It was totally bangin, I was sold instantly. I had only heard techno on a hifi up till then, and didn't understand it at all until I was in the middle of the dancefloor in the Que Club.

fils_here
06-03-2005, 05:39 PM
many years ago when herbal teaparty exploded on the scene, they set out to do nites where ya cud wear wot the **** ya want to get in, no dress codes or types of certain people, the nite was in liverpool at the krazy house drumclub & host of other dj's(cant remember now!) top nite & it was wot i was lookin for!

neilried
07-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Would have been a night called Helious; Bable Vs Inside Out @ FirstBase in Wolverhampton in 96. Was visiting my mate Duncan Disorderly whos a bit of a jock in the midlands area (Played at HOG, Atomic Jam, Twisted Work and many others , and is now playing regularly at the canal club in Wolves), some of you probably know him from this forum...

Anyone who remembers that place will back me up Im sure. It was an absolute hole, propper DIY style from what I remember, makeshift sound systems every night, plenty o tree huggers in sight, think it was only a quid to get in too, skanky bogs, but 2 rooms and always phatt tunes...

Highlights have to have been seeing people older than my dad and maybe as old as my grandad 'aving it in the main room, peaking on the dancefloor several hours later turning round and bumping into a lifesize model cow that had just been lowered from the ceiling and thinking WTF, shortly followed up by seeing a couple of blokes Id been talking to earlier now dressed in pink fluffy bikinis dancing on speakers at the front.... I was only 16 and had only seen the shite meat market clubs you get back home in essex so when walking in to Helious the first time it took me about 2 seconds to realise that the DNB I was into at the time was shite and that techno had to be played at least 4000 times louder than my shitty little hifi was capable off, and thats just how it was going to have to be from then on...

Hats off to whoever put that night on and played (cant even remember that) it started something off for me and the venue became a my favourite rave cave for many years and introduced me to House Of God, Surgeon, Paul Damage, Subhead, eventuallty the Atomic Jam in the early days and many many other people who I shouldnt have forgotten about. Was gutted when they pulled the place down, it was a sh!t hole and needed to be destroyed but it was also the venue for so many of the best nights Ive had out....

Big Up the West Midlands crews... Promoters for Helios, HOG, The Jam, Mad For It, The Tree Party (that was a f**king odd one...), Bable, Inside Out and all the other nights I went to up there in the mid 90s. And the jocks Surgeon, Paul Damage, Subhead, Tigga, Monkey Dave, Disorderly, and all the people ive forgotten who were doing stuff in the early 90s in brum

Ahh the Halcyon dayz.... I so crave a scene like that in london but I couldnt find one at the time or now....

Apex Beat
07-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Probably Clarkey in Bugged Out a few years ago. Nothing has come close to the days of bouncing around the Courtyard listening to people like Clarkey, Technasia, Beyer etc ruin the Phazon. Voodoo used to be excellent in the Le beatau as well, the last one with Clarkey and Ade Fenton rocked. Still go now its in the Carling Academy - heard they got DJ Bone as a resident. Sweet.

Francisco Scaramanga
07-03-2005, 06:01 PM
First Base, or Screamers as I knew it, was bangin - I had a lot of thumping nights in there, it was a total piece of shit, but I have many fond memories of the place. I would go without having a clue what was on most of the time, and it would usually turn out to be sound. And the HOG's and Jams in there were ace.

Bugger
07-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Voodoo, cant remember the date, i was 16, Billy Nasty and Ruskin were on if i remember rightly, at La Bateau

nuff said!

This was also my techno clubbing debut (although I had been listening to it before I hit the clubs). Would have been around autumn 1998, we were down the front in our Ben Shermans and Kickers giving it beans! ACE! Never looked back!

Bugger
07-03-2005, 09:54 PM
mine was bugged out bout 2 years ago i think for green velvet and fc kahuna, i think! but spose i had been to creamfields before but hadn't really been into techno until then really! what was i missing out on! :roll: :doh:

that may have been my Bugged Out! DJ'ing debut, was it at Nation?

Traxx
07-03-2005, 10:04 PM
No, it was at some other club wasnt it? Sure the one i went to was somehwhere else.

BOXY
08-03-2005, 11:00 AM
my first time goin to skelter in 97 but my first proper techno night was when i went to hog in 2001 @ subway city on there birthday and i seen surgeon and duncan disorderley are the two what stand out and it was ****in amazing the music the people and the venue it was nothing like id ever been to before and i just loved the venue it was wikkid the bouncers not caring about you skinning up they was askin for some!! and they sold massive bottles of poppers in there in just seemed so underground, and i was hooked instantly!!

Francisco Scaramanga
08-03-2005, 05:18 PM
I always wondered about the sale of poppers at subway city, and what on earth the tunnels at the back that they sometimes opened up were for. Then I realized it was a gay club most other nights. Which didnt bother me, but I never sat down in those strange dark passageways again...

Stretch
08-03-2005, 07:25 PM
I always wondered about the sale of poppers at subway city, and what on earth the tunnels at the back that they sometimes opened up were for. Then I realized it was a gay club most other nights. Which didnt bother me, but I never sat down in those strange dark passageways again...

They used to have a hobby horse at the end of those tunnels as well as a gimp cage and some straps on the wall! Well dodgy! Loads of dark corners as well, which was ok for havin a toke at the HOG but i wouldn't have wanted to be caught down there on any other night! Men only on the gay nights. EEEUUUUGHHH!

Ginjin
09-03-2005, 10:11 AM
The first Techno club I started going to was Teriarki-anarki-saki in the red room.....changed my life :rambo:
No internationals were playing just the local lads.

Ginjin
09-03-2005, 10:12 AM
....and that was about 8 years ago

soma
09-03-2005, 04:50 PM
At a dive in hackney called the four aces
years ago
I was blown away.
Bunch of squat DJ`s playing filthy techno.

ahh four aces this was my first place too, ages ago. Used to travel up from deepest south london. Strange that i now live 5 minutes walk away.

It's in a bit of disrepair now. Well it was back then too!!!

great nights out though.

ro_chez
14-03-2005, 12:38 AM
Valentino Kanzyani @ The Temple Bar Music Centre in Dublin on 12th Jan 2002. Been into "dance music" since about 97 starting with trance for a year or two then went a bit progressive for a while. At the gig I got a flyer for a gig with some guy called Ben Sims who was playing there a few weeks later and from then on I was hooked.

Centurian
25-03-2005, 12:50 AM
Mine was the Complex in Islington back in '97. Quality venue, 4 floors of musical mayhem. Can't remember who played, probably something along the lines of Billy Nasty, Gayle San, Dave Angel etc, absolutely rocked the place.

RIP The Complex

278d7e64a374de26f==