PDA

View Full Version : Sampler/Microphone Rec...

tekboi
02-03-2005, 05:28 AM
Ok then.

I need recommendations for:

Hardware & Software samplers that are affordable but effective?

Microphones for DJ & Production use that are also affordable but effective?

Thanks.

sash
02-03-2005, 06:31 AM
Depends what u wanna use the mic for.

If u got a decent soundcard, u can't go wrong with something like Kontakt, Halion or MachFive (all software)

tekboi
02-03-2005, 10:28 PM
Mic will be used for 'sampling' vocal and surrounding sounds. In other words for production and DJ use. Any recommendations???

So does software samplers do the job as good???

sash
03-03-2005, 08:15 AM
shure sm58

yes

:evil:

Basil Rush
03-03-2005, 11:36 AM
surrounding sounds

What's that?

Jimfish
03-03-2005, 11:54 AM
i thin he means ambience baz

tekboi
03-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Ambience would be close Jim ;) When I say surrounding sounds, I just mean the sampling of sounds outside the ground of the track (the kick, snares and bass itself). Its just a term that I use for myself I guess, sorry if I confused anyone hehe.

Jim & Basil: What sampling instruments do you use? You think I go with the direction of software as I am a beginner?

Never heard of Shure, any good?

With samplers, you need a mic either way dont you? To record your sounds.

dirty_bass
04-03-2005, 01:46 AM
Errr
Sampling with a mic?
That`s recording with a mic.
You can use a mic to record sounds around your home, and to record your voice and instruments.
A sampler doesn`t need a mic. It depends from what source you are sampling from.

I`m confused.

tekboi
04-03-2005, 02:20 AM
Errr
Sampling with a mic?
That`s recording with a mic.
You can use a mic to record sounds around your home, and to record your voice and instruments.
A sampler doesn`t need a mic. It depends from what source you are sampling from.

I`m confused.

I am only new to the production side of things. I know to you it might sound stupid or confusing in this case, I am trying to set a boundary and set myself up with a plan on what I need to produce the way I want to.

You explained it perfectly though in the fact that I want to use it for recording sounds such as mentioned, so if you could recommend me a sampler (software preferably and hardware) and a mic would be appreciated DirtyBass, thanks.

dirty_bass
04-03-2005, 05:26 AM
Well, I would thoroughly recommend the M-Audio Luna. Large Diaphragm condenser mic.
It`s versatile, but very good for vocals in particular, having a nice warm vintage sound, and is on a cheap offer at turnkey.co.uk

If that is over your budget (£100)
Then go for the shure SM58

As for sampler?
Well, I would suggest an audio editor, such as soundforge or wavelab, to process your samples.

And I would suggest a package such as Fruity loops, initiallly as it has built in sampler/sequencer and audio sequancing capability, and works from beginner evel to pro fairly well (as a lot fo people here would attest to)

tekboi
05-03-2005, 02:32 AM
Awesome stuff. Thanks DirtyBass.

Lets say for example I wanted to use vocal samples or vocal snippets or sounds in that matter through real time with the mic whilst I am recording, is this easy to do?

278d7e64a374de26f==